Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It doesn't really matter how much a janitor, or anyone else, at BART makes. Either they're entitled to collectively bargain for their compensation, using all of the tools that entails, or they aren't. And if you think transit workers shouldn't be entitled to collectively bargain, using all the tools that entails, hey guess what, that's a conservative, anti-Union position.

You can own that position or not, but you don't get to claim to be pro-Labor, except for when it inconveniences you. That's the definition of gently caress you, got mine attitudes.

That aside: ~$80k (which is really more like what we're talking about, actually) is a solid living wage in the Bay Area, well above the average, but not outrageous. I have no qualms saying a janitor working 70 hours a week or something should be paid something approaching 50% of what a software engineer with a 4-year degree makes doing similar hours.

And you can't really blame workers for doing a lot of overtime. Management can hire more employees, there's nothing stopping them from doing so. They could have every janitor in the system working no more than 40 hours a week, there's plenty of people who need jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

themrguy posted:

We can be pretty economically liberal, if you put a tax increase on rich people on the ballot it will probably pass.

Its easy to vote like that when you don't have skin in the game. Try getting the same people to pass a ballot measure that will benefit others but lower their property values.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

fits my needs posted:

Yeah, it's super cool that a BART janitor can strike and get paid six figures in overtime, but I'm a monster because I want to get to work and not lose my job. :allears:

Maybe they should hire the appropriate number of workers so they don't have to pay all that overtime.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
There was also the apocryphal story a few years back of the School Bus Driver Guy that made like 100k one year.

By doing an ungodly amount of overtime.

Everyone conveniently forgot about that bit when running the click bait stories.

JANITOR GUY MAKES ALL THAT MONEY?! Well he literally has to clean up poo poo so maybe I'm happy with slightly less if it means I don't have to mop up bum piss or post-club handjob residue in my air conditioned cubicle?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ron Jeremy posted:

Maybe they should hire the appropriate number of workers so they don't have to pay all that overtime.

There is a point below which it is cheaper to pay the OT than to go to the expense of hiring, training, and paying benefits for another employee. Assuming someone is willing to work extra and the long hours don't affect results of course.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Annual wages are deceptively high for people in many public sector positions because in addition to counting pension contributions and vacation they take the 'value' of the medical benefits. Simply put, seeing a figure of $125,000 in the paper for some BART janitor is mostly telling you what the guy costs BART, not what he earns from them.

I also work in the public sector, with a decent union and people can gross $125,000 but to do it they have to work approximately 9 hours a day for the entire year, cash out all their vacation time and not miss a single day :suicide:

These are not the kind of jobs where people can pull a breezy 40 hours and make that kind of money. For every one making a lot like in my example there are 100 others that would rather put in their 8 hours 5 days a week and have a life outside work.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

withak posted:

There is a point below which it is cheaper to pay the OT than to go to the expense of hiring, training, and paying benefits for another employee. Assuming someone is willing to work extra and the long hours don't affect results of course.

Yeah I was going to mention this as well. Medical and retirement costs are per employee, so those expenses are rather fixed regardless of how much work is getting done. Paying overtime is often more cost effective especially when the workload fluctuates a lot. Hiring more janitors might be a cost sink if the demand tanks later on.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Its easy to vote like that when you don't have skin in the game. Try getting the same people to pass a ballot measure that will benefit others but lower their property values.

This one always kills me, the only thing higher property values get you is higher taxes. Because what are you going to do when you sell? Buy something that's affected the same scale. I guess you can argue about taking loans against the house, but if the value difference is enough to make you take pause or inable to take out the amount you want, maybe you shouldn't be taking that much out?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Don't worry guys, part of Obama's plan was taxing "Cadillac" plans.

The fact that many working-to-lower-middle-class people often chose jobs that offered "Cadillac" plans as part of their "two household incomes" because they offered unusually good benefits. For the "upwardly mobile but two incomes" they were also a good deal because, as pink collar jobs, they didn't pay well but had great benefits and reliable, steadily raising wages.

But recent market innovations mean that we don't need that anymore.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

fits my needs posted:

Yeah, it's super cool that a BART janitor can strike and get paid six figures in overtime, but I'm a monster because I want to get to work and not lose my job. :allears:

You're a pathetic shell of a person. Buy some empathy with your next paycheck.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

withak posted:

Yeah the penalty of time and half or double time is supposed to counterweight this, but the cost of retirement and medical has blown way past this penalty. Which is why I wish the democrats has used the ACA to make the argument that universal health care could be a job creation engine by taking the burden of medical off the employer as a per employee cost and changed it into a tax based on revenue.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

I love my state: http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2016/12/jerry-brown-california-climate-change-donald-trump

Governor Moonbeam posted:

"We've got the scientists, we've got the lawyers, and we're ready to fight," Brown said at the American Geophysical Union Conference in San Francisco. "We're ready to defend. California is no stranger to this fight."

"If Trump turns off the satellites, California will launch its own drat satellite," Brown said to loud applause. "We're going to collect that data."

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

paranoid randroid posted:

how do you mean the "actual" working class

Just that I know a lot of people making close to or just north of 6 figures in the Bay Area who consider themselves "middle class" because the high cost of living means they can't live like the millionaires and billionaires on the edges of their social graph. These people have next to no contact with, say, oil workers in Richmond or public school teachers in Sacramento (Their kids go to private schools, by and large) So it's hard to get them to sign off on actually re-distributive policies because they identify more with the owner class even if they sympathize, in theory, with the plight of the workers.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
People in California do live in a bubble. We had a guy in this thread say he experienced the horrors of white flight when the white working class workers left Fremont to the tech workers. When it was explained to him that the situation in Fremont was actually the total opposite of what happened to the industrial cities in the rest of the US which rotted and became depressed slums and that Fremont is the total opposite of what everybody else means when they talk about white flight, he doubled down on his use of the term.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
sounds more like that Bay Area tech people live in a bubble

fortunately Bay Area tech people are not the majority demographic

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
california is like a bunch of different bubbles with varying degrees of overlap

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

incoherent posted:

Guys, i'd like to pause the sceedcrafting to hit up some real rear end "bad poo poo". I think I touched on this before in a previous post, but I just saw an update on OCWeekly that gave the Orange County DA office a literal bitch slap from The California Court of Appeal.

For those who don't know, or don't care, about the dealing in Orange County here is a short recap about a crime in OC (seal beach to be specific): Dude runs up on a hair salon where his ex-wife works and shot her and other people inside, killing 8. Your bog standard mass shooting in America. Full breakdown here

Dude completely confessed to all of it. Full stop. Should have been a slam dunk guilty case.

However that doesn't end this story. See, the Orange County District attorney office (OCDA) has been colluding with the Sheriff dept (who run the jail) (OCSD) to run a secret insider informant program to try and hook people for larger crimes (death penalty). Also cops lying, providing inconsistent testimony, etc. They wanted to get the defendant, Scott Dekraai, all the way to the chair. There was one judge that wasn't having any of it. Because of the horrendous conflicts of interest Judge Thomas M. Goethals kicked the entire bench of the OCDA off the case and handed it to the state AG. Of course the OCDA retaliated and forced all their cases to be moved from his bench.

The California Court of Appeal affirmed Judge Goethals removal of the OCDA late last month. Ruling Here. They also affirmed several other things that a Parallel Grand jury is looking into into the OCSD informant program. This program has already caused some sweet plea deals to defendants over the use of the program.

To this the OCDA had this to say

Feds are now investigating

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

silence_kit posted:

People in California do live in a bubble. We had a guy in this thread say he experienced the horrors of white flight when the white working class workers left Fremont to the tech workers. When it was explained to him that the situation in Fremont was actually the total opposite of what happened to the industrial cities in the rest of the US which rotted and became depressed slums and that Fremont is the total opposite of what everybody else means when they talk about white flight, he doubled down on his use of the term.

im sorry that you get triggered by nonwhites talking about racism

but hey i guess that's just the playbook of NO WAR BUT CLASS WAR white leftists

1. what you're whining about is worse elsewhere and probably isn't actually racism so shut up and get back in line for the class revolution!!!!
2. stop playing the victim!!! stop hurting my fragile white fee fees!!!!

sounds more like that Bay Area tech people live in a bubble

fortunately Bay Area tech people are not the majority demographic

also it's not like bay area techies could go to alum rock or a good chunk of hayward, or still even a few sections of fremont to come into contact with working class people, but i guess they don't count as working class since they're probably not white

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 16, 2016

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

lancemantis posted:

california is like a bunch of different bubbles with varying degrees of overlap

Much Like Every Other State

im not sure why California is considered some special thing that cannot possibly understand Real America

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

In Oceanside, they have opened up applications for the City Treasurer spot, an elected position that a dead guy won.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Much Like Every Other State

im not sure why California is considered some special thing that cannot possibly understand Real America

Bitterness, mostly.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

The Aardvark posted:

In Oceanside, they have opened up applications for the City Treasurer spot, an elected position that a dead guy won.

Kind of hosed up that they're using this as an opportunity to stealth turn an elected position into an appointed one, but I can't say I'm surprised at all. Nobody hates democracy more than a city council.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Baby Babbeh posted:

Kind of hosed up that they're using this as an opportunity to stealth turn an elected position into an appointed one, but I can't say I'm surprised at all. Nobody hates democracy more than a city council.

The most vocal council member about it is Jerry Kern, who probably still holds a grudge against the lady who ran for Treasurer as she was part of a recall election against him in 2009.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

The reason why I dredged up your old posts was not because I was 'triggered' but because your old posts in the thread were a pretty good example of my point. Your earlier failure to understand the reason why white flight was bad (hint: white flight was not bad by virtue of white people leaving cities) and why Fremont, CA is the complete opposite of places like Gary, IN or East St. Louis, IL kind of revealed that you didn't really understand what it is like to live in other, less prosperous places in the US.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 16, 2016

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

but hey i guess that's just the playbook of NO WAR BUT CLASS WAR white leftists

1. what you're whining about is worse elsewhere and probably isn't actually racism so shut up and get back in line for the class revolution!!!!
2. stop playing the victim!!! stop hurting my fragile white fee fees!!!!

also it's not like bay area techies could go to alum rock or a good chunk of hayward, or still even a few sections of fremont to come into contact with working class people, but i guess they don't count as working class since they're probably not white

I missed this the first time around, so I'm confused: isn't Fremont pretty affluent? If working class people were forced out by richer people isn't that gentrification, regardless of race?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
If I remember correctly, his (very flawed) argument was that rich Asian tech workers had displaced the original white working class population so there was "white flight". I don't remember all the details but I remember an icky feeling of "the only real racism is racism against white people" being the underlying thesis. That may have been from the subsequent pile-on thought because Hillbots were very primed at the time to call everybody racist. I don't have plat but someone who does should be able to post it.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
I remember it going down the same way, it was pretty emblematic of how class got glossed over during the election by the DNC, and everyone who was negatively affected by the 2008 recession and never made it back just kinda got ignored.

I also remember the weird racism angle.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

quote:

NO WAR BUT CLASS WAR

At least one sentence in this thread makes sense.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Shbobdb posted:

If I remember correctly, his (very flawed) argument was that rich Asian tech workers had displaced the original white working class population so there was "white flight". I don't remember all the details but I remember an icky feeling of "the only real racism is racism against white people"

I have to admit that the only time I felt that was as a student at mission college where the only extra curricular group was a racial minority focused one and I was told I wasn't allowed to join since I was white. The school was majority minority and it was the only group to join.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I missed this the first time around, so I'm confused: isn't Fremont pretty affluent? If working class people were forced out by richer people isn't that gentrification, regardless of race?

Not only is it pretty affluent, it's way more affluent than it was in the 80s; and there are still white people living in Fremont, just not the ones that worked at the GM/Toyota plant that shut down, as well as the other factories that used to be over there. And while companies like Tesla have started manufacturing in/near Fremont they don't employ nearly the numbers of workers as there used to be.

None of which is to say that whites are never racist towards asians, but it doesn't explain Fremont's situation.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Ron Jeremy posted:

I have to admit that the only time I felt that was as a student at mission college where the only extra curricular group was a racial minority focused one and I was told I wasn't allowed to join since I was white. The school was majority minority and it was the only group to join.

Yep, that's what it felt like to be a minority for most of America's history.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
If you are living in the coastal California bubble, you could look at Fremont and compare it to places like Palo Alto or Los Gatos, and conclude that it is a shanty town. However, once you step outside the bubble and compare it with the rest of the US, you'd see that actually Fremont is actually doing really well and is well above average economically.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Fremont looks and smells like poo poo.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

EConomys running good then

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Can't be as bad as Milpitas in that regard.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

silence_kit posted:

Why are you bringing this poo poo up again?

That dude was talking about the the fact that Fremont is now only 33% white, compared to 1960, when it was over 90% white. And much of that drop in white population happened to coincide with asian people (and a to much lesser extent, latino and black people) arriving in large numbers. At first the white population did keep growing after 1960, but was dropping as a percentage because the minority population was growing faster. But after 1990, the white population started dropping fast in terms of raw numbers too (which is when the asian population really started to explode) and is now only half of what it was then. The asian population was only 2% in 1960, compared to 20% in 1990, and 50%+ nowadays. That's why he called it white flight....because a bunch of white people fled the city while a bunch of minorities moved in.

The problem is that your definition of white flight seems to be: "a bunch of white people leave because of minorities, and then the city also becomes a neglected, impoverished, semi-abandoned, crime-ridden hellhole". You think it's wrong to define it as "white flight", unless the city ends up like Gary, or Detroit, or St. Louis as a result.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 17, 2016

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Or Oakland?

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

White flight is the opposite of gentrification. Fremont is not an example of white flight. It is an example of gentrification by Asian engineers.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
But why specifically Asians when white people still make up a majority of that field?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Tarezax posted:

But why specifically Asians when white people still make up a majority of that field?

Because he was using the term white flight to complain about Asians coming in and displacing poor whites.