Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Subjunctive posted:

Why does it matter who owns the car? If you lease your Model S, Tesla owns the car. What matters is who's driving.

The NHTSA isn't investigating Tesla, it's investigating a crash. Nobody has made the slightest assertion, even against the standards of a preliminary investigation, that Tesla was illegally operating an autonomous vehicle.

(Other manufacturers, such as Mercedes, have similar systems.)

There's a big difference between Tesla's level 3 (ish) autonomy and Volvo's. Volvo is explicitly level 4, and shows a guy reading a god drat newspaper in their marketing. Uber is using a very, very different technology and the city has a right to be concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I honestly think Uber must have some major libertarians at the top, and believe that complying with any sort of government regulation just encourages them. They argue about even the most minor of restrictions.

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-ayn-rand-inspired-uber-ceo-travis-kalanick-2015-6

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Subjunctive posted:

I'm not sure what you mean here -- everyone immediately below the board is Marissa Meyer. Do you mean the rest of the C suite or their directs?

Yes.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

(polishes up my Internet Detective badge)

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Doggles posted:

Does it still count as a unicorn if the $4.8 billion sale to Verizon hasn't closed yet?

Yahoo says a billion user accounts were stolen in possibly the biggest hack of all time

http://www.businessinsider.com/yahoo-data-breach-billion-accounts-2016-12

1/7th of the world's population has had a yahoo account hacked. assuming no repeats, that's 21% of the world (yeah yeah the pop. isn't 7bil flat who gives a poo poo)

:psypop:

yahoo should not be selling for five bux, let alone 5 billion, regardless of the sweet sweet social media data (that you can probably find for free online now)

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 15, 2016

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
A comic interlude.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm standing in the entry of a popular sushi place in Palo Alto and there are two people (who are distressingly similar to me in apparent demographic) lecturing an older gentleman on how transactional something (connection? competition?) will be disruption-proof.

Truly, the industry that irony forgot.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Subjunctive posted:

I'm standing in the entry of a popular sushi place in Palo Alto and there are two people (who are distressingly similar to me in apparent demographic) lecturing an older gentleman on how transactional something (connection? competition?) will be disruption-proof.

Truly, the industry that irony forgot.

Transactional consumption, AKA the TBDB.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Transactional consumption, AKA the TBDB.

They got seated, so I'll never know.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Another Fall of Theranos story. Elizabeth Holmes's lipliner game was not on point the day that photo was taken. :wink:

quote:

When The New Yorker reporter asked about Theranos’s technology, she responded, somewhat cryptically, “a chemistry is performed so that a chemical reaction occurs and generates a signal from the chemical interaction with the sample, which is translated into a result, which is then reviewed by certified laboratory personnel.”

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
The fall of unicorns: a chemistry is performed

follow that camel!!
Jan 1, 2006

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

There's a big difference between Tesla's level 3 (ish) autonomy and Volvo's. Volvo is explicitly level 4, and shows a guy reading a god drat newspaper in their marketing. Uber is using a very, very different technology and the city has a right to be concerned.

I think it also matters that Uber is a commercial vehicle picking up passengers, as opposed to an individual driving himself around. Regulation and enforcement tends to be more focused on taxis and commercial vehicles.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Back to network analytics chat, Deepfield, where I work, just got bought by Nokia. Got the announcement at a surprise all-hands yesterday morning.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
*in Bane voice*
“a chemistry is performed so that a chemical reaction occurs and generates a signal from the chemical interaction with the sample, which is translated into a result, which is then reviewed by certified laboratory personnel”

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

a foolish pianist posted:

Back to network analytics chat, Deepfield, where I work, just got bought by Nokia. Got the announcement at a surprise all-hands yesterday morning.

Same, but Alcatel 6 months ago :v:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Good luck, pianist. I hope Nokia offers you big buckets of money to stay for a year.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

at first I was like yeah uber's gonna get all the deregulations they want but then I remembered that those regulations are controlled at municipal levels and Trump can't do poo poo about them

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Typo posted:

at first I was like yeah uber's gonna get all the deregulations they want but then I remembered that those regulations are controlled at municipal levels and Trump can't do poo poo about them

Until Uber goes out of their way to set up some service that crosses state lines, creating a new category of interstate commerce which would require the Trump administration to step in and produce some new regulations. The new regulations would allow them to do whatever they want.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

pangstrom posted:

*in Bane voice*
“a chemistry is performed so that a chemical reaction occurs and generates a signal from the chemical interaction with the sample, which is translated into a result, which is then reviewed by certified laboratory personnel”

So, uh, how many zeroes do you want on this check I'm about to cut you? Seven? Eight? This technology sounds really world changing!

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Typo posted:

He's already threatened withdrawing federal funding from sanctuary cities. You think pulling highway matching funds for daring to regulate self-driving cars is a step too far?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

JawnV6 posted:

He's already threatened withdrawing federal funding from sanctuary cities. You think pulling highway matching funds for daring to regulate self-driving cars is a step too far?

please please please let trump be this stupid. let him make americans choose between the president and potholes on the interstates. hail satan in your name i beg you this

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

So, uh, how many zeroes do you want on this check I'm about to cut you? Seven? Eight? This technology sounds really world changing!

It should be possible to craft the ultimate VC pitch using the thought technology developed by Theranos. "A technology is performed..."

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Uber doesn't care about self driving car laws.

They care very much about keeping the Feds from suing them over independent contractor misclassification.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

Uber doesn't care about self driving car laws.

They care very much about keeping the Feds from suing them over independent contractor misclassification.

given trump's choice as labor secretary and his incoming supreme court pick they probably aren't worrying about it anymore!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

The House Freedom Caucus's shopping list mentions Uber by name.

quote:

Wages. Republicans advise several measures for allowing lower wages, including waiving the Davis-Bacon Act, ending the Obama administration’s overtime rule (currently tied up in court), and ending tougher classification of contractors in part because it “disproportionately hurts independent contractors like Uber and Lyft.” Republicans also suggest ending paid sick leave for federal contractors.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

boner confessor posted:

please please please let trump be this stupid. let him make americans choose between the president and potholes on the interstates. hail satan in your name i beg you this
Considering how conventional wisdom failed during the election (Grab their vaginas? Might have raped a teen? Swindled people from the pay they deserved?) I'm almost certain his approval rate would skyrocket while the neighborhood GOP organizes an emergency recall to dump all the Dems.

Plus it's not like Trumpistan is going to be worried about regulating UBER. That's like some San Fran poo poo.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Yeah but the courts aren't dumb, if drivers aren't employees then Uber is an illegal wage fixing cartel.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

eschaton posted:

It should be possible to craft the ultimate VC pitch using the thought technology developed by Theranos. "A technology is performed..."

People pitch stuff that isn't too far from that. They call it "machine learning".

Subjunctive: "ok, so what's the technology behind you whatzit wobbling the dingaling?"
Founder: "oh, machine learning"
Subjunctive: "tell me more"
Founder: "...machine learning? with data?"

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Subjunctive posted:

People pitch stuff that isn't too far from that. They call it "machine learning".

Subjunctive: "ok, so what's the technology behind you whatzit wobbling the dingaling?"
Founder: "oh, machine learning"
Subjunctive: "tell me more"
Founder: "...machine learning? with data?"

What kind of data?
um ........ Big ?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

jre posted:

What kind of data?
um ........ Big ?

Big and proprietary.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Subjunctive posted:

Big and proprietary.

I'll adjust my pitch deck accordingly

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

jre posted:

What kind of data?
um ........ Big ?
:downs: Is it cloud-based?

:geno: Ye....yes. *with* metrics.

:gizz: :homebrew: :gizz:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

jre posted:

I'll adjust my pitch deck accordingly

You should also have falsely-precise estimates of addressable market, and an artifacted graph taken from a 3rd-tier analyst. Under no circumstances should you bring along anyone who can answer questions with the slightest technical content. If applicable, brag about how much previously founded companies have raised, but omit mention of their business performance.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I'm just a dumb rear end 33 year old dude with a HS diploma and some college or whatever, but if someone came to me and said "a chemistry" in that context I'd have to assume they're a complete idiot, or that they are assuming that I'm a complete idiot. I just don't get it at all, but I guess that's why this thread has been so fascinating to me.

edit: Basically almost all of this poo poo seems like people having more money than sense, in a nutshell.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

You should also have falsely-precise estimates of addressable market, and an artifacted graph taken from a 3rd-tier analyst. Under no circumstances should you bring along anyone who can answer questions with the slightest technical content. If applicable, brag about how much previously founded companies have raised, but omit mention of their business performance.
I just showed this thread to my husband, who's worked (not as a founder) in three successive startups along these lines . A look came over his face. It was the look of Infinite Suffering.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Ah, the Addressable Market Slide, AKA the biggest lie in business.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

edit: Basically almost all of this poo poo seems like people having more money than sense, in a nutshell.
Part of it is drinking the Kool-Aid with the people involved. This chick may not be a research scientist, but look at her background!

The other part is being Uncle Warbucks and having enough cash where a $1-10 million hit won't bankrupt you (hell, maybe you claim the loss over a few years to lessen your burden), which makes the promise of grabbing the next Apple/Google by the baby balls and watching that seed money turn into a 5x profit all the more sexy and enticing.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Baby Babbeh posted:

Ah, the Addressable Market Slide, AKA the biggest lie in business.

I have a boss who has every one of those slides he has ever seen saved in one PowerPoint. He emails an updated version around every 6 months and makes me add in post-mortem stats about how hard they failed.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Time posted:

I have a boss who has every one of those slides he has ever seen saved in one PowerPoint. He emails an updated version around every 6 months and makes me add in post-mortem stats about how hard they failed.

are you hiring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

are you hiring?

Seriously that sounds like an awesome boss