Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
things that produce wool are very helpful because they passively turn grass into one of the warmest, most expensive kinds of cloth in the game, so that's really cool. you can just reserve them a grassy field somewhere and an animal handler will be along occasionally to collect. the female wool-producers are even nicer because they produce milk as well, which is neato burrito.

most other kinds of animals will just eat you out of house and home while making a nuisance of themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
that's fair, i usually just stick with cloth and whatever leather i get from hunting until i make the jump to devilstrand+

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

Coolguye posted:

things that produce wool are very helpful because they passively turn grass into one of the warmest, most expensive kinds of cloth in the game, so that's really cool. you can just reserve them a grassy field somewhere and an animal handler will be along occasionally to collect. the female wool-producers are even nicer because they produce milk as well, which is neato burrito.

most other kinds of animals will just eat you out of house and home while making a nuisance of themselves.

Do alpacas give milk or do they have to birth an babby first?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
pregnancy semantics are not set up so female animals will always give milk if their creature type is marked to do so

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Thefluffy posted:

Do alpacas give milk or do they have to birth an babby first?

Pretty sure alpacas don't give milk.

Alpacas give lots of wool

Muffalos and Dromedaries give wool and milk, but slowly (and also pull caravans)

Cows give lots of milk

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Chickens make good meat shields. I think these are the best meat producers with 1 egg per fine/laish meal required while breeding very fast.b Egg laying chicken produce more meat than killing them for it. You still kill them though meat or no meat unless you want the chicken apocalypse.

Animal farming is not at all good from a pure food perspective as it takes a lot of food and/or land to feed them to get meat. It's there to boost the mood of the colony instead of having more arbitrary joy items. Having pawns eat less food from having fine/lavish meals doesn't really offset the raw resources to make it if all you want is food. This is balanced by your pawns working longer.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Jesus christ. Have had an awesome colony up until i got gut worms, the flu, and malaria in one year, with toxic storm (or whatever its called) to cap it all off. The year of Nurgle it seems. Thankfully my doc avoided all ailments but i am super hosed if I get any big raids.

Also what is everybodys best way of making silver? I have been making my pawns crank out lots of simple meals and selling them for whatever I need. Have a giant freezer packed with 400+ meals at the moment

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 15, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Willfrey posted:

Jesus christ. Have had an awesome colony up until i got gut worms, the flu, and malaria in one year, with toxic storm (or whatever its called) to cap it all off. The year of Nurgle it seems. Thankfully my doc avoided all ailments but i am super hosed if I get any big raids.

Also what is everybodys best way of making silver? I have been making my pawns crank out lots of simple meals and selling them for whatever I need. Have a giant freezer packed with 400+ meals at the moment

Chickens sell well. I also really like having one dude just crank out wooden statues, at least once I get a recruit passionate for art.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 15, 2016

Devdisigdu
Mar 23, 2016

The shadows lengthen
In Carcosa.
Seems I've already found a slightly annoying downside to the Cthulhu cultist mod. I just had a third hauler husky go berserk because of extreme sanity loss, which I had to put down because it kept berserking again not too much time later. And I can see other huskies already developing the initial stages of madness. I guess it's a good thing I can make haul drones now to replace them before the rest start freaking out.

Time for a purge.

Devdisigdu fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 15, 2016

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Rescue helps a lot in those crisis situations. Like when everything is on fire and your colonists start collapsing. And then a raid comes in and your colonists are downed, except for one or two. Then the extra dog or other animal running around carrying people into medical beds saves a lot of time that could be spent treating.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Boars are just as good as dogs at training, imo, and they'll eat grass. I generally favour training them to be pack animals.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I never turn away or intentionally kill useless downed raiders or colonists and I once got a wanderer with everything disabled except for combat and animal training. I set her to train up every animal we have and if she's still idle, I have her recruit new animals and sell the excess young if we go over 30. The absolute pandemonium if I release 30 elephants, ostriches, muffalos and pigs when a battle looks like it might turn against us is absolutely worth the effort. Even a mechanoid hive barely stands a chance.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Pretty sure alpacas don't give milk.

Alpacas give lots of wool

Muffalos and Dromedaries give wool and milk, but slowly (and also pull caravans)

Cows give lots of milk

Megasloths give wool too but good luck taming one

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Willfrey posted:

Meals are a good way to go, especially when you have a passing ship and can sell a bunch at once.

I had a colony that ended up with like 13 alpacas and even though you'll have some downtime, a skilled crafter can easily make alpaca wool garments that are $100+ per item.

Just for fun I like to make psychoid grow ops and sell the yayo. Not super efficient, but if you have the surplus power and steel then it's fun having a full on coke lab.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

And I appreciate it!

The sad thing is that I only wrote this because there was so little out there that was even at this level, and even most of that only covered narrow topics (spaciousness, artic embark, etc) and/or was scattered across a bunch of random forums (reddit, imgur, official forums, here).

I added the Cask of Amontillado approach for dealing with Thrumbos. Brilliant.

Would you like me to link it in the OP?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

oohhboy posted:

Chickens make good meat shields. I think these are the best meat producers with 1 egg per fine/laish meal required while breeding very fast.b Egg laying chicken produce more meat than killing them for it. You still kill them though meat or no meat unless you want the chicken apocalypse.

Put the hens in one field, and the cocks (:heysexy:) in their own, smaller field. You only need a couple to fertilize all of the hens too, so just slaughter the male chicks that get born until you reach the number of hens you want.

As long as you have enough grass land (and some saved up hay for the winter) you more or less have a totally hands off egg machine that just requires occasional connection. Your fine/lavish meals don't require hunting any more and you can always sell the excess if you want.

quote:

Animal farming is not at all good from a pure food perspective as it takes a lot of food and/or land to feed them to get meat. It's there to boost the mood of the colony instead of having more arbitrary joy items. Having pawns eat less food from having fine/lavish meals doesn't really offset the raw resources to make it if all you want is food. This is balanced by your pawns working longer.

Unless you're using one of those "40 pawns" mods, a 400x300 map gives you lots of land to burn. All you really need to do is spend the labor to chop the trees to make the walls to keep out wolves. Cull your herds until you reach the size that works.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

OwlFancier posted:

Would you like me to link it in the OP?

Aw shucks :shobon:

It isn't finished yet but once updated for a16 if you think it's a good resource please link.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It looks like a good resource now, I'll chuck it in and update as you want. God knows it's more up to date than my OP is at the moment. When A16 comes I'll have another look at it.

Ezane
Sep 27, 2016

Aw shucks :shobon:

It isn't finished yet but once updated for a16 if you think it's a good resource please link.

I just started playing and it's been an extremely useful resource, particularly for explaining the less obvious mechanics in the game.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Quick question on this game as it looks quite fun. I played Prison Architect quite abit and enjoyed that. This seems to be made in the same engine but with more complexity to the game. If i enjoyed PA would you recommend this one?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

The Croc posted:

Quick question on this game as it looks quite fun. I played Prison Architect quite abit and enjoyed that. This seems to be made in the same engine but with more complexity to the game. If i enjoyed PA would you recommend this one?

This game is a little more survival oriented but yeah I would think youd like it.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

The Croc posted:

they have similar art style but the games are only similar in that they are sandboxes. i wouldnt compare PA to this at all

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

The Croc posted:

It's not even close to the same engine. It's just the same art style.

For Rimworld's gameplay, think like early Dwarf Fortress (2d, you have a handful of settlers, you have to deal with random raids and stuff), with a dose of mini-RTS because you have full control over your colonists in combat but not outside of combat.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Willfrey posted:

My colony was broke until I had a good pawn artist make a bunch of sculptures that were sold for $$$. Then I did my Thrumbo trick and got $1400 for that. I also had a ton of leather that I sold.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Croc posted:

It's not really much like PA and is made completely independently of the game, it just looks a bit like it.

The mechanics of the game are very different and the entire aim of the game is inverted compared to PA because you're facing threats primarily from outside rather than trying to contain something inside your strucutres.

Do you like the idea of dwarf fortress? If so, you will probably like this game.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Volmarias posted:

Put the hens in one field, and the cocks (:heysexy:) in their own, smaller field. You only need a couple to fertilize all of the hens too, so just slaughter the male chicks that get born until you reach the number of hens you want.

As long as you have enough grass land (and some saved up hay for the winter) you more or less have a totally hands off egg machine that just requires occasional connection. Your fine/lavish meals don't require hunting any more and you can always sell the excess if you want.

I use Colony Manager to handle it. It works until you accidentally overload the pawns and the manager. *The Chickens begin to breed at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware 2:14 AM, Eastern time, August 29th. In a panic, I try to pull the plug. I fail as a Psychic drone turns them all mad wiping the colony in a feathery hell fire.*

Colony manager lets you set how many animals of each type you want with sub divisions like adult/child/sex. It is a really good QoL mod. There are some caveats to using it
(See above) and it won't break loops like the cook-meal loop(Need another mod for that and require manual bills) but for everything else it is great. Always want X amount of wood/stone/meat/forging/parts over multiple production benches across the base? This is the mod for you.

It has multiple levels of managing you need to research to remain effective as your colony grows so it isn't OP.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Cheers for all your answers have given the game a go enjoying it so far had a mad raccoon chase a colonist around the map i mean i probably could have stopped it but it was hilarious i think they went on for several days just benny hilling around the map.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
So I had a sacrifice go a little, uh, wrong

:stonk:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Danaru posted:

I think you mean :stonklol:

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Danaru posted:

Hey, you're just going back to the classics:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Is it possible to use dev mode to add or remove steam geysers from the map?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What are the stat modifiers for an eye tentacle?

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Nope, that's save editing territory.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Zhentar posted:

Nope, that's save editing territory.

Yeah, sorry, I managed to figure that out after a bit. Fortunately just moving a geyser over a few cells turns out to be very very easy.

Gotta have my grid layout :P

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

OwlFancier posted:

What are the stat modifiers for an eye tentacle?

It said 85% manipulation, but seemed to effect sight anyway, weakening it but not blinding that eye :v: As fun as the Call of Cthulhu mod is, it has some... issues when it comes to small bugs. Nothing game breaking fortunately.

Also fun fact, a tentacle is worth twenty bucks or so to traders :v: sadly I couldn't slap it on a prisoner and free them to show their faction what's up

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Yes to both. Place Direct Near Thing or something like that, and Destroy (I think).

Devdisigdu
Mar 23, 2016

The shadows lengthen
In Carcosa.

Flesh Forge posted:

Yes to both. Place Direct Near Thing or something like that, and Destroy (I think).

While using Dev mod to place a steam geyser works, In the past I've found that trying to remove one with Destroy only spits out an error.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah, sorry, I managed to figure that out after a bit. Fortunately just moving a geyser over a few cells turns out to be very very easy.

Gotta have my grid layout :P

drill and fill at will

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=722086956

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Is it just me or in the beta patch has installing new limbs gotten extremely dangerous? Across three colonies my doctors are 0 for 5, killing three patients in the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Class Warcraft posted:

Is it just me or in the beta patch has installing new limbs gotten extremely dangerous? Across three colonies my doctors are 0 for 5, killing three patients in the process.

I think you've had bad luck ANd it's also harder and riskier now. Bionic limbs seem more common on traders too.