Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

paranoid randroid posted:

for a politically cunning group, the democrats sure have been getting kicked around pretty hard by a party running on a platform that consists entirely of bestial enraged howling

tbf the republicans tapping into the enraged howling center of the brain was entirely underestimated. the democrats need more howling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kenner116
May 15, 2009
Anyone else here ready for another Mondale run? I think 2020 will mark the beginning of the Mondale era. The only man who can truly bring an end to Reagan's America.

kenner116
May 15, 2009
2020 presidential debate in unlv las vegas:

Mondale: where's the beef?
Trump: I've finally been stumped and immediately forfeit the race.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
Badlibs are just going to say that Hillary only lost because of russian hackers and not because she was a bad candidate and we're never going to win again are we

kenner116
May 15, 2009
Fun fact, my mom wanted to vote for Mondale but couldn't because she was giving birth to me. I'll never forgive myself for helping usher in a second Reagan term so I've made it my life goal to ensure Walter Mondale, dead or alive becomes leader of the free world.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

dont werry mlud, oive got a cunning plan

whut if... we cawlled him.... Dange'rus Donald

I think that was the 2nd worst attempt to hurl a zinger at old Donny boy.

Worst one was definitely rubio's "Big Don" retort to the "Little Marco" line.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article120928688.html

Jerry Brown is... cool?

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

yes he is :allears:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

ShutteredIn posted:

Badlibs are just going to say that Hillary only lost because of russian hackers and not because she was a bad candidate and we're never going to win again are we

russian hackers and also the populace is evil and cannot be reasoned with, just more loser whining rather than actually doing poo poo about anything

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The future of the Dems pretty much rests on whoever gets the DNC chair. If Ellison wins it and can prove his ideas work to regain seats in 2018, then the party is his. I don't really believe that there's much ideological opposition to the Sanders wing within the party, people are just spineless and hesitant to try a new strategy and will quickly fall in line if it actually works

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

If he actually follows through, he's won me over.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Yes he is.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
"Elon? Jerry Brown here. Launch CALSAT One."

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
gonna miss Ol' Moonbeam, ngl

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

sounds like he's trying to run in 2020 2 me

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Karl Barks posted:

sounds like he's trying to run in 2020 2 me

He's given California an actual functional budget so hey, why the gently caress not?

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

He's given California an actual functional budget so hey, why the gently caress not?

sounds like a better choice then clition ever was.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
wait, that wasn't a weather satellite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOKf5r_JMAo

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Honestly I'd be surprised if we didn't see other governors start building a maverick reputation by thumbing their nose at trump whenever possible to prep for 2020

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Hillary was probably doomed from the start of her Senate career because the Dems parachuted her into an easy seat so she never had to actually win a difficult election so naturally her people were dumb as rocks

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I wonder if this "please be nice to us, GOP" strategy will work.

https://twitter.com/democracync/status/809537099133239297

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Joementum posted:

Well bless his heart for trying.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Joementum posted:

Its pretty much all he can do, short of my lynch mob idea being implemented

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

ShutteredIn posted:

Badlibs are have been blaming 2000 on nader for a decade and a half now and refusing to accept that maybe Old Broom/Literal Monster wasn't a good ticket.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Cyron posted:

sounds like a better choice then clition ever was.

Kanye could still be a better choice than Clinton ever was.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Sadly he already decided against running in 2016 because he was too old. He said he would have done it if he was 5 years younger.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Bushiz posted:

Badlibs are have been blaming 2000 on nader for a decade and a half now and refusing to accept that maybe Old Broom/Literal Monster wasn't a good ticket.

It's possible for both those explanations to be correct, y'know.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Joementum posted:

he has basically nothing else, not sure what you're expecting

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

If you think the Republicans wouldn't have found a way to steal Florida in 2000 regardless of how many Nader votes got flipped, I've got a bridge to sell you.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

kenner116 posted:

2020 presidential debate in unlv las vegas:

Mondale: where's the beef?
Trump: I've finally been stumped and immediately forfeit the race.

Dukakis (halfway into a tank): I...oh! Oh. Okay. I'll just...go home. Okay.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

HannibalBarca posted:

If you think the Republicans wouldn't have found a way to steal Florida in 2000 regardless of how many Nader votes got flipped, I've got a bridge to sell you.

Catherine loving Harris, man

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Catherine loving Harris, man

The General Assembly all but said they were gonna use their power to award EVs arbitrarily and give them to Bush even if the recount flipped the result. It was blatant.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Joementum posted:

that infamous democrat backbone

what a sight to bear witness to

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I though jerry brown had the suede denim secret police

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

It's possible for both those explanations to be correct, y'know.

I'm of a mind that the discontent that expressed itself via Nader would probably have expressed itself some other way because it turns out that Dude Who Wants To Be Your Buddy* is surprisingly difficult to beat, especially when people are hurting in a time that everyone else thinks is generally okay.

(Holy poo poo, 2000 and 2016 were the same drat election.)

___
*Note: does not actually want to be your buddy

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Tatum Girlparts posted:

the great thing about this is if this is at all true our 'disaster' has already happened. We have literally nothing, the left's hold on America as a whole hasn't been this tiny in ages, so all Ellison has to do is oversee literally any success and any decently savvy spinner can turn it to 'yea no poo poo we didn't have some grand wave that dominated everything, but we made progress and because of that progress things will improve, now let's talk about the next elections'.

the catch is that the electoral map for 2018 is awful, the dems have almost no chance of making gains and will be lucky just to avoid losing seats

Ace of Baes posted:

Ah yes, I remember when the tea party came into existence and the Republicans slowly shifted control to them over the course of several decades.

the tea party didn't come to power because the Republicans put them in token leadership positions, they came to power because the tea partiers won enough elections and seats to have real influence on the House floor, and were willing to use it and play hardball with leadership to get what they want

fun fact: the congressional progressive caucus has twice as many members as the freedom caucus and is bigger than the tea party caucus ever was, and has existed for two and a half decades. i wonder why they did fuckall despite controlling about a third of Dems' current House seats

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i'm going to spend my entire adult life disappointed in left wing leadership for consistently being spineless centrists, aren't i

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Pomp posted:

i'm going to spend my entire adult life disappointed in left wing leadership for consistently being spineless centrists, aren't i

Signs point to yes

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Main Paineframe posted:

the catch is that the electoral map for 2018 is awful, the dems have almost no chance of making gains and will be lucky just to avoid losing seats

A lot can happen in two years and nothing electionwise that happened this year was expected, isn't there any chance to hope?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

While true, the main inroads need to be made at the state level, not federal. If he can flip several statehouses and get victories for governorships, that would qualify as success.

• Locked thread