Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
The Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana MSU-1 patches are very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

In case anybody gives a poo poo, I took this picture for scale:

Also, it passed my Tyson latency test:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

people who gently caress with chrono trigger soundtrack should be put in gulags, imo

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Same could be said for you but you started it :nyd:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

flyboi posted:

The Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana MSU-1 patches are very good

Counterpoint: they're really awful. :v:

Edit: I had a big post written up on why that was and I deleted it for the short version since a lot of things are going to come down to taste, but I think this is worth saying. Ripping the music out of a game and replacing it with other versions of those tracks that you happen to like is not the same thing as scoring a game. It's the equivalent of turning down the volume and just putting your own CD on (people still use CD's right? I don't know for sure since I live in retrogame land). A good musical score takes into account context, how the cues match the visuals, what the rhythm fits, and a ton of other factors.

There's a story about the music for Super Mario Bros 1. They wrote five or six different pieces for the main music and then selected the one that fit the rhythm of how the game would be played. That's the kind of consideration that the MSU-1 patches are missing. It's not impossible to rescore a game well for a patch, but these piecemeal, slapdash methods are not good.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 16, 2016

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

I think people will get better at making MSU-1 audio patches with time. I think it's really cool that it can even be done.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

XYZ posted:

I think people will get better at making MSU-1 audio patches with time. I think it's really cool that it can even be done.
This is unironically something that a group like OCRemix is best suited at. (Trouble is they would have to hire someone to work as the musical director and whatnot, in addition to all the legal red tape).

But I agree with Random Stranger. Most of the MSU stuff I've heard is "Let us take the music from Spark Mandrill's stage and throw a bunch of electric guitar distortion on it" or they make the track too dense. Or the tracks they rip into the game don't quite gel together.

That it's possible is an interesting little side-trip into the realm of "I like Old but want to add some New" like the HD NES mods and stuff.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
Anyone here got a gscartsw?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
But the chrono trigger patch is based around an orchestral score of the actual game rather than "random tracks." There's a few looping issues but they're actually rewriting the msu-1 standard to fit (things like music resume and audio start points)

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I have one of his first versions.

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I have one of his first versions.

And I have the latest version.

edit:re MSU-1: Blake Robinson who did the the reorchestration used in the Chrono Trigger and Super Metroid MSU-1s. are the only ones I like so far.

Alucardd fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 16, 2016

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

FilthyImp posted:

This is unironically something that a group like OCRemix is best suited at. (Trouble is they would have to hire someone to work as the musical director and whatnot, in addition to all the legal red tape).

But I agree with Random Stranger. Most of the MSU stuff I've heard is "Let us take the music from Spark Mandrill's stage and throw a bunch of electric guitar distortion on it" or they make the track too dense. Or the tracks they rip into the game don't quite gel together.

That it's possible is an interesting little side-trip into the realm of "I like Old but want to add some New" like the HD NES mods and stuff.

I'm going to make an MSU patch that's just the "Genesis style" covers of the Mega Man X music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeJTBh-8P2U

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Chrono Trigger MSU-1 patch that just plugs in the Brink of Time album

Elliotw2 posted:

I'm going to make an MSU patch that's just the "Genesis style" covers of the Mega Man X music.

good

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Elliotw2 posted:

I just listened to a Genesis version of the Corneria theme from StarFox and now I can't decide if it's better than the SNES. :mad:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Lo and behold, a Cash Converters actually had something good for once; Found Mario Party 4 and 5 with relatively-perfect discs (just need a clean) along with intact cases and manuals, and they're coming home with me :shepspends:.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Lo and behold, a Cash Converters actually had something good for once; Found Mario Party 4 and 5 with relatively-perfect discs (just need a clean) along with intact cases and manuals, and they're coming home with me :shepspends:.

The 2 halves of this sentence don't go together.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Elliotw2 posted:

Do one that puts Outrun music into F-Zero and I'm sold!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Elliotw2 posted:

I clicked this expecting to last all of 10 seconds before I stopped it called you a war criminal for even suggesting that idea, but... that was actually pretty good.

It's true what they say, the Genesis was capable of decent audio, too bad more devs didn't make use of it.

the cool posts kid
Jul 24, 2007

Listening to the snes mega man x games as somebody with no nostalgia for the series, one thing stands out. The instrument samples are actually not very good. in fact you could say they are quite bad

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I was digging out some old retro handhelds today, and had trouble booting up one of them. The Zodiac, Lynx, and Neo Geo Pocket Color boot up fine. I didn't try the Game Gear. The one system that didn't boot was the Wonderswan Color. Are there any known issues with these? I tried multiple batteries, and I just got some white lines across the screen. I also tried fiddling with the contrast knob.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

the cool posts kid posted:

Listening to the snes mega man x games as somebody with no nostalgia for the series, one thing stands out. The instrument samples are actually not very good. in fact you could say they are quite bad

A lot of Capcom's SNES games have music that's clearly out of tune or off-key. Megaman X3's probably the absolute worst but Final Fight and their Mickey Mouse games are pretty bad as well

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
To me the Genesis sound chip was capable of reaching higher highs and lower lows than the SNES's and even though it was way easier for devs to hit some rock fuckin' bottom lows, the highs hit high enough for me to like it better and the most important thing to remember they're both very different things and anyone who calls either bad is a huge dumbo

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

the cool posts kid posted:

Most SNES games had garbage quality samples because they needed the sample bank, graphics, text, and actual programming to fit in a 1MB cart.

The Genesis had the same issue but it's less noticeable since most games only used samples for voices or drums, while the actual FM synth parts of the audio are tiny.

the cool posts kid
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah and the snes had 64kb of ram that was supposed to hold the entire sound driver plus all the samples that you needed to use which was pretty hard to overcome, whereas the mega drive could just stream samples straight from rom but you had there was only one channel for samples and the sound CPU was locked out of the address bus for a whole bunch which sucked and yeah with both there were pretty bad rom cost limitations and I feel for anybody who dealt with that stuff at the time

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

fastbilly1 posted:

Do you have the clip to hold your phone up with it? I dont have a standard phone and it is in a case, so I am always weary of clips because they rarely will fit my phone.

I have the xtender clip and it works well, easy to attach/detach and reasonably solid. Only problem I have is my phone (RedMi Note 2) power button is depressed when I have the clip centered.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The Genesis Z80 was actually super hard to play PCM samples through, and when a game did it badly it gave the sample a lovely scratchy noise. SF2 on the Genesis is a great example, since someone made a rom hack that was just optimizing the z80 code and the voices suddenly sound perfectly fine.

A more analytical look at a few games' PCM tracks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W4yTL-9gZE

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Toy Story (WTF IS GOING ON?)

PsyClops
Jun 15, 2000

azurite posted:

Like Random Stranger said, solder joints, or those sockets you mentioned could have a marginal contact somewhere.

It turned out to be a slightly loose PPU, thanks all.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

A lot of Capcom's SNES games have music that's clearly out of tune or off-key. Megaman X3's probably the absolute worst but Final Fight and their Mickey Mouse games are pretty bad as well

Part of my disrespect for Aladdin on the SNES is that the music is so bad! It’s a nice composition of upbeat remixes to the Disney themes but the instruments are brassy and reverb-ery in a way that only the SNES can be. If the Genesis is “tinny” then the SNES is “metallic” like someone playing back the music from an aluminum can.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

I can't listen to any of the videos that have been posted so this may have been covered but the title screen and end credits tunes are bona fide 4-channel MOD tracks that are being converted to single-channel PCM samples in real time via software - as far as I know, it's the only such example in the entire MD library and in typical euro-dev fashion they did it for no other reason than to prove they could.

The regular in-game music is all FM, there's no way you could run MOD files and gameplay at the same time.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
You might remember a while back (rapidly approaching two years ago), Ed Fries (former Xbox exec) wrote a very lengthy piece about restoring an original Computer Space arcade machine. I only just found out that earlier this year, he wrote a second piece about restoring the extremely rare color version of Atari's Gotcha... the first color arcade game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFkUgivTsWI

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Kins posted:

You might remember a while back (rapidly approaching two years ago), Ed Fries (former Xbox exec) wrote a very lengthy piece about restoring an original Computer Space arcade machine. I only just found out that earlier this year, he wrote a second piece about restoring the extremely rare color version of Atari's Gotcha... the first color arcade game.

His Computer Space article has made me want to build my own Computer Space machine. It feels like it would be a nice hobby project without the same headaches of trying to restore the original like he was doing.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The Kins posted:

Whoa, thanks! The Computer Space article is one of my favorite things, but I didn't know he wrote any more about restoration projects. Really looking forward to reading this.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The article is fantastic (which you'd expect) and has a lot of cool things in it. In particular, there's The Textbook of Video Game Logic from 1976 which is all about building video games out of the most primitive of circuit elements. And since I literally just finished a class on circuit design yesterday I'm eagerly looking forward to reading it.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

the article is awesome but he makes a strange mistake of saying he needs a "CGA" monitor when he really means RGB, and continues to after he hooks his board to an actual CGA monitor and gets an improper display

edit: just want to make clear this is not to rag on the dude at all because he's doing Very Cool Stuff, just looking out for people who may be just getting into arcade stuff to not be misinformed

d0s fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 16, 2016

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Elliotw2 posted:

The Genesis Z80 was actually super hard to play PCM samples through, and when a game did it badly it gave the sample a lovely scratchy noise. SF2 on the Genesis is a great example, since someone made a rom hack that was just optimizing the z80 code and the voices suddenly sound perfectly fine.

The Earthworm Jim 2 continue screen caught me by surprise when I was playing not too long ago.

https://youtu.be/yXef3HFxuco

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

d0s posted:

the article is awesome but he makes a strange mistake of saying he needs a "CGA" monitor when he really means RGB, and continues to after he hooks his board to an actual CGA monitor and gets an improper display

edit: just want to make clear this is not to rag on the dude at all because he's doing Very Cool Stuff, just looking out for people who may be just getting into arcade stuff to not be misinformed

I believe he worded it poorly. He likely needed a RGBI capable monitor (very close to CGA but wrong colors) which isn't the same as 15khz RGBHV/RGBS standard more prolific today.

flyboi fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 16, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

azurite posted:

The Earthworm Jim 2 continue screen caught me by surprise when I was playing not too long ago.

https://youtu.be/yXef3HFxuco

Try the Saturn version on for size :rock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIA2OgTVaN8&t=66s

(Yeah I know, it's probably just a CD track)

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

flyboi posted:

I believe he worded it poorly. He likely needed a RGBI capable monitor (very close to CGA but wrong colors) which isn't the same as 15khz RGBHV/RGBS standard more prolific today.

For what he was working with he needed a plain RGB monitor, no arcade games used RGBI as far as I know. He was probably confused as he may have heard of CGA referred to as (or associated with) RGBI and didn't realize there was a difference (between RGB and RGBI).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Elliotw2 posted:

Huh, I had no idea the MD was capable of PCM. I just assumed you needed a specific chip for it (like the OKI2695). That certainly explains why some ports have better percussion than the arcade originals (Zero Wing, Twin Cobra).

Were there any Saturn games that actually used its crazy FM chip for music?

• Locked thread