Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

RBA Starblade posted:

Sounds like it's pretty decent so far besides bad cgi.

The CGI isn't bad, just a touch too ambitious in a few obvious places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Rogue One is very impressive from a direction standpoint, pretty empty and clinical in everything else. The characters are decidedly unremarkable and not much happens other than "here's a few action scenes".

Those action scenes look REALLY GOOD, though. So it's a movie to watch for Cool Star Wars poo poo and not much else IMO

Also am I seeing things or did Vader have a weirdly fat neck?

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 15, 2016

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Hakkesshu posted:

Rogue One is very impressive from a direction standpoint, pretty empty and clinical in everything else. The characters are decidedly unremarkable and not much happens other than "here's a few action scenes".

Those action scenes look REALLY GOOD, though. So it's a movie to watch for Cool Star Wars poo poo and not much else IMO

Gareth Edwards, ladies and gentlemen.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Hakkesshu posted:

Rogue One is very impressive from a direction standpoint, pretty empty and clinical in everything else.
I'm curious for you and other people saying this, do you mean in a "made by committee" way like TFA is criticized for, or a "the characters aren't relatable" way like the prequels are criticized for? (Or something else if you don't mean either of those.)

e: And god help me, I don't want to start some dumb TFA vs. prequels fight, those were just the most relevant examples I could think of.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

HannibalBarca posted:

Gareth Edwards, ladies and gentlemen.

Let's see how many times you repeat some variation of this

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wvpdBnfiZo

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lord Hydronium posted:

I'm curious for you and other people saying this, do you mean in a "made by committee" way like TFA is criticized for, or a "the characters aren't relatable" way like the prequels are criticized for? (Or something else if you don't mean either of those.)

e: And god help me, I don't want to start some dumb TFA vs. prequels fight, those were just the most relevant examples I could think of.

imo kinda both. the first two acts def feel somewhat like a 'camel', but also most of the characters are really really bland, especially the main male guy. Jyro or whatever is really good but Jones is super flat. the droid has more personality than the vast majority of the protagonists.

worst part: vader making a choking pun
best part: the entire climax, holy poo poo

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Hakkesshu posted:

Also am I seeing things or did Vader have a weirdly fat neck?

I think it might be the best star wars since the original trilogy, getting stellar reviews everywhere too. Sure it's not perfect, in the same way the originals weren't, but at least it's not a studio monster like TFA. The prequels should have been done like Rogue One. God, the missed opportunities.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Thought it was a blast. Fun and exciting and tragic and a little bit emotional. It's a good, strong star war.

I liked all of the main characters a lot, and while I would have liked to have seen more of them, I enjoyed their company and cared about their fates. I can't quite come to calling them wasted them wasted, simply because I enjoyed what we got a lot.

As for the side characters - The characters of Saw and Galen aren't underused so much as the big actors cast in small parts. It didn't inherently hurt the film that they weren't in it much, you just expect more of them because, well, Whitaker and Mikkelson. Mendelson is probably the on the underused side though, a character I liked and wanted to see more of and also given narrative driving power he didn't quite earn.

I don't agree that it's just good action scenes. Personally I saw enough of the characters that I cared about their fates, and what the film does excellently, particularly in the back half once it really kicks off, is to build a sense of dread and tension and kind of lingering despair that drives those (very good) action scenes. I can't enjoy an action scene if I'm not invested, and I absolutely was. There's a great ebb and flow as the advantage turns towards and away from the two sides, loads of little twists, highs and lows. It's expertly done above and beyond good shooting. That said, it's almost certainly not standing up to major thematic scrutiny. It's a pretty straightforward war film and it holds it thematic beacons high and clear, probably to avoid the film turning offputtingly miserable.

It's astonishing how more coherent it is than TFA or the prequels. None of TFAs gaping holes where there was probably once a scene that got chopped, None of the prequels "I just don't believe what's happening on screen.". That's probably coming from how it's a pretty fundamentaly simple story, but whatever. I didn't sit and go "uuuuh what" like I've done for the last 4 films. It's also kind of incredible how well shot the whole thing is, And not in the sense of a nice, but relatively static shot like you would get in the TFA, but huge action scenes maintaining their visual composure even as things get exceeding busy. It's just gorgeous to look at, almost every where they go.

Negatives. The CG on the returning characters as everyone has said. On it's own it would be fantastic, It's just not good enough when placed next to a real person, standing still under the standard scene lighting. Goofy. The fanservice was minor but distracting. Some of the character drama was dealt with a little quickly and came across as slightly forced. Some extremely hammy lines - particularly when they try to say something iconic. James Earl Jones has been surpassed by good impersonators by now. He ain't quite got it. A few other things.

The interesting thing to me is that it is, genuinely a real departure in a lot of ways from the trilogy films. It still feels like starwars, but it's tonally different enough that I feel like it opens up a lot of space for the other spinoff movies to be unique and different. Like, 1 spinoff in and we've got something that's much more of an outlier than any of the Marvel films are from the others. It gives me hope that the other spinoffs might continue to be interesting and different and fun. It did some brave things I don't want to spoil!

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 15, 2016

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Excursus posted:

Saw this at the midnight screening, and enjoyed it for the most part. It was nice that all the war movie speculation did in fact come true; it really does stand apart from the other SW movies, tonally. After TFA I applaud any efforts to strike out and do something relatively new.

A quick note about pacing though: what was with the first 15 minutes, wherein every scene took place on a new planet? It just came across as jumpy and rushed, as though they forgot to film a proper opening to the film, so ended up having to add that stuff in with reshoots. Thankfully, it does settle down.

Of the actors, while Felicity Jones was good (albeit not Daisy Ridley good) and Mads Mikkelsen effective if underutilised, Ben Mendelsohn was predictable fantastic throughout; utterly steals the film, and a very worthy villain. Compare these performances to the irredeemably bad Forrest Whitaker: was anyone else totally thrown by the straight-up bizarre vocal style he used? It wasn't quite Bane-levels of jarring, but it was terrible nonetheless.

The characters of Chirrut and Baze had me scratching my head. Do their fighting styles fit in this universe? Do their characters not seem entirely out of place somehow? It all felt so random, though their concluding scenes were considerably better than the early ones. Likewise, K-2SO: a comedic note in an otherwise pretty dour film, what started out like JarJar inhabiting the body of C3PO was ultimately redeemed by consistently funny dialogue and clever delivery. The interplay between it and Jyn was an absolute joy.

That said...

Vader's first scene veers between being okay and kinda bad (James Earl Jones' delivery is off throughout), until it ultimately falls off a cliff with that awful pun about not choking on his aspiration. Tarkin improved as he went on, but still felt a little fan-servicey. Another general could have worked just fine, without the need to resort to shoddy CGI. Although even then, Tarkin has nothing on the AWFUL Carrie Fisher, which absolutely destroys any sense of immersion and, in fact, the entire ending of the film. It's bad even now, upon release, so gently caress knows how badly it will age

Otherwise, I agree with DrVenkman about the ending, or at least some variation on that. I thought the bit with Vader going apeshit on the rebel troops was great though, and feel like it should have gone something like Vader scene -> Wave approaching scene -> Opening scene from A New Hope. As it was, it felt kinda randomly sequenced, and ends on an absolute stone-cold bomb of a scene. Awful.

The CGI done by the world's best studio over countless hours for megabucks was not "shoddy" it was just too ambitious and the tech is not ready to be used in such an overt fashion because it is not convincing enough. The final scene was fine though because that character was only briefly seen and did not move at all. It is certainly subject to over scrutiny because we all know it's fake so it's not going to look quite right.

Also James Earl Jones delivery was just fine and certainly in keeping with his original work on the first trilogy

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Lord Hydronium posted:

No, I don't think it's a "made by committee" thing, the characters are just paper thin and don't get much to work with outside of the action scenes. The droid has the most personality. Jyn Erso especially is so loving bland and void of any sort of charisma or passion. She just stands there looking sulky for 90% of the film.

Compared to Rey and Finn and Po and Kylo these characters just come off as like templates for someone's RP characters or something. Despite his weird voice, at least Forest Whitaker actually seems like he gives a poo poo.

Edit: I should say I do actually like the villain, even if he didn't get to do much either. But his scenes are probably the best character moments in the film.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 15, 2016

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Hakkesshu posted:

No, I don't think it's a "made by committee" thing, the characters are just paper thin and don't get much to work with outside of the action scenes. The droid has the most personality. Jyn Erso especially is so loving bland and void of any sort of charisma or passion. She just stands there looking sulky for 90% of the film.

Compared to Rey and Finn and Po and Kylo these characters just come off as like templates for someone's RP characters or something. Despite his weird voice, at least Forest Whitaker actually seems like he gives a poo poo.

Edit: I should say I do actually like the villain, even if he didn't get to do much either. But his scenes are probably the best character moments in the film.

I mean you're not wrong but the same can be said for any Star Wars movie except maybe Finn in TFA. Characters have always been paper thin, and I'm not sure how well the typical SW story would work with more complex ones, if at all.

People tend to forget this saga has always been the dumbest sci fi for the masses, and when it works it looks like Rogue One.

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 15, 2016

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Kawabata posted:

I mean you're not wrong but the same can be said for any Star Wars movie except maybe Finn in TFA. Characters have always been paper thin, and I'm not sure how well the typical SW story would work with more complex ones, if at all.

Sure, but usually they fill that void with performance and presence. I don't think anyone in Rogue One stands out or is at all interesting or particularly entertaining to watch. They're wooden and basic as gently caress. Again, except the droid. To put it into perspective, I think Liam Neeson as Qui-Gon had more of an on-screen presence in episode 1 than any of the Rogue One crew. Like I find it almost inconceivable that anyone is going to quote these characters a year from now, because they say absolutely nothing of value. Excepting maybe the one line from Donnie Yen that gets repeated a lot. And he alone does have some presence in the action scenes at least (Wen Jiang too, but mainly his gun).

I feel I need to reiterate that I did like the movie, but mostly for reasons entirely unrelated to the plotting or characterization. Honestly, more of the movie should have been about Mon Mothma, I really liked her based on like the two minutes she was in the film.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 16, 2016

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

Sure, but usually they fill that void with performance and presence. I don't think anyone in Rogue One stands out or is at all interesting or particularly entertaining to watch. They're wooden and basic as gently caress. Again, except the droid. To put it into perspective, I think Liam Neeson as Qui-Gon had more of an on-screen presence in episode 1 than any of the Rogue One crew. Like I find it almost inconceivable that anyone is going to quote these characters a year from now, because they say absolutely nothing of value. Excepting maybe the one line from Donnie Yen that gets repeated a lot. And he alone does have some presence in the action scenes at least (Wen Jiang too, but mainly his gun).

I feel I need to reiterate that I did like the movie, but mostly for reasons entirely unrelated to the plotting or characterization. Honestly, more of the movie should have been about Mon Mothma, I really liked the two minutes she was in the film.

I agree with all of this. Jyn seemed like she would be interesting in the first 20 minutes or so, but quickly became as cliche as the rest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
The first act is good, the second act underperforms and leads to some of the characterisation problems that I feel like people are having. The third act is probably the best third act in all of Star Wars. It hits it out the bloody park. The CGI didn't jarr me nearly as much as it has other people. I honest to god thought they'd recast Tarkin after the first scene where he appears.

I came out thinking that Rogue One was better than Empire. After processing for a bit, it's not that good but to me stands next to New Hope and above TFA and Jedi.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I came out thinking that Rogue One was better than Empire. After processing for a bit, it's not that good but to me stands next to New Hope and above TFA and Jedi.

That's about where I've put it.

Unfortunate about the incredibly poo poo music score, though.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Is the 3D worth it?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Got to the theater 30 minutes early; there are some cool people outside the lobby.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Gonz posted:

Got to the theater 30 minutes early; there are some cool people outside the lobby.

Some incredibly cold people outside my theater's lobby I'd bet

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

It was good.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Milky Moor posted:

That's about where I've put it.

Unfortunate about the incredibly poo poo music score, though.

I liked the main theme which played over the title.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Is the 3D worth it?

For me, it wasn't really. It fact it was kind of disorienting at times.

E: actual (scattered) thoughts. Donnie Yen was the best part. I got more from Felicity Jones than others seemed; Jyn is a great character IMO. I loved the little reference to the Whills.

I found Mendelsohn's performance surprisingly weak. I didn't get a lot out of it, for whatever reason. He just didn't really have the same air of menace of a Vader or a Kylo or even a Tarkin. It always felt like he was just gonna get punked.

I also didn't particularly enjoy the way the story changes the Death Star flaw from something overlooked to something purposeful.

Hello Towel fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 16, 2016

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Is the 3D worth it?

No

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
It was the best of non original trilogy Star Wars

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

It was alright. I didn't think it was that great of a film, but if you just want More Star Wars™ it gets the job done.

I'm sure the reshoots involve a lot of this, but that's just an excuse.

-Forest Whitaker was wasted.
-A lot of lines I just had to eyeroll at. Cassian disobeys orders, but Jyn gets mad that he received orders at all. Despite him disobeying them. Meanwhile she immediately joins up with the same Rebel alliance that gave those orders.
-CGI Carrie Fisher looked worse than CGI Tarkin. Including her and Vader in the movie was a bit much, but I was wondering if they'd do it going in: we know the ultimate fate of the plans, so if they're never delivered it seemed inevitable everyone dies and the plans make it to Leia.
-If you can name either character played by the two asian leads, color me impressed (Chirrut and Blaze, if you're curious).

Ultimately, still feels like they're relying on the original trilogy to sell tickets, and they really need new ideas and an interesting direction to take these stories. I'd be very interested in whatever the original version of this movie was, but as-is this was another safe play trying to cash in on established story.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I saw it. It ruled. Pacing was really off though, it felt really rushed in order to get us to the satisfying third act.

Story could've used a couple more passes to tighten things up and make it flow better. But the ending is so completely perfect that it was worth it.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Atoramos posted:

-If you can name either character played by the two asian leads, color me impressed (Chirrut and Blaze, if you're curious).

Baze, actually.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Krazyface posted:

Baze, actually.

whoops.

They were both interesting characters. It feels weird that I liked those guys and the droid, but little of the other characters.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hello Towel posted:

It was good.

In fact, it was bad.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

In fact, it was bad.

It could have been a lot worse.

It also could have been a lot better.

not that you've seen it to make informed opinions though!

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Was having the Tantive IV barrel roll out of the other ship really necessary? Darth Vader literally watched them line pass the plans into the ship and then later he says "we know you intercepted a transmission" while everyone else plays dumb. It doesn't make much sense. Why not just be like "we've been boarded quick transmit them to any other rebel ship in range" and then it just happens to be Leia's ship and Vader sees the log? I mean isn't Leia's whole bit that she's secretly helping the Rebellion while playing Senator? Why is she at a battle?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Atoramos posted:

whoops.

They were both interesting characters. It feels weird that I liked those guys and the droid, but little of the other characters.

Disney would NEVER be so careless as to give a character a vaguely weedy name.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

What a weird-rear end film this was.

As a stand-alone film it's kind of a disaster. It's full of paper-thin characters with ill-defined motivations who sort of wander from place to place until explosions happen. Nobody really has any reason for doing anything beyond vague platitudes.

My thought was honestly that this film exists almost soley to watch in between Episode 3 and Episode 4 to help set the tone change between those films and 'create a connection' to events and lightly sandpaper over some theoretical plot holes.It's certainly not very good as a stand-alone film except in the terms of having some good dogfighting scenes and fanservice.

Edit:

Also Jin was a goddamn boring protagonist who literally never does anything in the film after the opening but stand around and be rescued by other people and maybe some vague acrobatics? Why even spend the time defining her as a super-talented soldier if she literally never fights once in the entire climax.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 16, 2016

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Krazyface posted:

Disney would NEVER be so careless as to give a character a vaguely weedy name.

I didn't even consider that, I was thinking in terms of 'guns blazing'. But yea, too weedy.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
This is the Star Wars film I'm least likely to rewatch anytime soon. It was technically well made, but I just didn't care about any of the characters. The prequels have significantly more painful elements than anything in this, but each had more interesting moments.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Holy moly, they FINALLY made another good Star Wars flick. Holy poo poo. That was loving amazing. This made up for the last four.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Also Jin was a goddamn boring protagonist who literally never does anything in the film after the opening but stand around and be rescued by other people and maybe some vague acrobatics? Why even spend the time defining her as a super-talented soldier if she literally never fights once in the entire climax.

Much like Rey, I think Disney is very conscious about portraying strong women. I think this is ultimately a positive thing, but personally feels like it results in some weird moments for both characters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Atoramos posted:

Much like Rey, I think Disney is very conscious about portraying strong women. I think this is ultimately a positive thing, but personally feels like it results in some weird moments for both characters.

My major issue is that Rey has a big defining moment and a lot of focus. She felt infinitely more like the person the film was about then Jin did. Jin spends the entire climax locked inside a vault trying to look up a file, followed by being saved by Guy Whose Name I Can't Remember, followed by the all-consuming danger of a randomly opening-and-closing door, then she has to realign a dish, followed by being threatened by a single unimpressive imperial officer whom she is rescued from again, and then she transmits the message and dies in the explosion. Jin's biggest moment is giving the heroic speech I guess which would be nice if it felt more meaningful

Edit: Honestly, a lot of my increasing dissatisfaction with this film is that I can't think of a thinner and less interesting pair of leads in a film in a long-rear end time. Jin and Rebel Blandman (Cayden maybe?) were like the thin outlines of characters going through the thin outlines of plot motions while other more interesting (though not particularly more developed) characters hung out around them. Their entire role in the climax being being locked in a vault while the robot singlehandedly holds off an army of stormtroopers is almost comical, especially with how they kept cutting back to it from all the other infinitely more interesting action scenes.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 16, 2016

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
No one in the movie were supposed to be the "main characters". It was a suicide movie that we knew very little about almost 40 years ago. There is no character building beyond hey im dude who shoots things, and im mr robot. There isn't another trilogy being made of this. It's not like TFA where Rey and the rest will be around for another few movies where they need to build on them.

It was a throw away movie that explains the crew that died to get the plans to the Rebels. It did that job and more exceedingly well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Oh, I agree. This film was worse than the previous in my opinion, due entirely to these issues. Rey was a better character than Jyn, Poe and Finn were better characters than Cassian, and Han Solo was a better version of Saw.

• Locked thread