Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

They're using the zombies as a defensive measure. It's kind of a cross between Morgan's arrangement in Clear and the Wolves' trap in the semi trucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fitzy Fitz posted:

They're using the zombies as a defensive measure. It's kind of a cross between Morgan's arrangement in Clear and the Wolves' trap in the semi trucks.

That seems really stupid for so many loving reasons. Do you really want a wall that can kill your own people? Not just kill them but if some loving idiot gets bit and hides it, kill ALL of them? Then add into the fact an immobile walker is like far less effective than some good old fashioned barb wire for slowing movement down really. Dudes with pocket knives could clear their way through that stuff quicker than cutting metal.

Maybe it could work if all the zombies were basically hooked up on hierarchy chains, so you could "release" waves of the wall to confront attackers, but it looks like they're pretty static. All in all the truck full of walkers from season 3 was a superior use of zombies as weapons so, so far and away.

ED: Chucking an armored car with a blaring radio into a settlement is better too. So props to that one.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 16, 2016

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Fitzy Fitz posted:

They have not made this at all clear (surprise), my other theories are either a pen for punishing people or a training ground for noobs. The latter would be totally out of character since I can't imagine the Saviors having any time for people that can't fight zombies, but it's the only way to explain why they would immobilize most of the zombies with spikes.

In any event, a very poorly engineered zombie moat.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Remy Marathe posted:

Z-Nation did it better.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Barreft posted:

Z-Nation did it better.

The Walking Dead S7: Z-Nation did it better

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Stickarts posted:

I try really hard to not get mad at the horrible poo poo zombie show but whenever they stab through s fresh skull like slightly chilled butter I get so loving pissed. Just put it in their loving eyeball and I won't even say anything. They just did it to Spencer and I just can't handle it anymore.
Yeah, having actually sawed through a human skull with a (somewhat dull) hacksaw, I don't get why all of these recently-dead people have squishy, stab-through heads.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Remy Marathe posted:

They have not made this at all clear (surprise), my other theories are either a pen for punishing people or a training ground for noobs. The latter would be totally out of character since I can't imagine the Saviors having any time for people that can't fight zombies, but it's the only way to explain why they would immobilize most of the zombies with spikes.

I think why shows like this are so frustrating is the internet thinks up tons of practical, or impractical and awesome, ways to fight zombies. Because the show runners are dumb and wouldn't know how to make the zombies a threat if anybody was listened to, they keep making everyone an idiot. It's obnoxious.

The Wolves (who in no way at ALL struck me as sane enough to make the traps they did) has more sense than Negan's crew with traps. I mean, if Negan basically had ACTUAL walls with giant semi-trailers full of zombies with a kind of "open in case of emergency" setup, so you could flood packs of zombies outside the walls towards an attacker, that'd be rad. But instead they think zombies that are spiked to the ground will be a deterrent.

Which it's not since Daryl and Jesus and others just walk in and out of the loving place without even being shot at.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Rode out, on a really loud motorcycle. Like if they'd implied a time skip and more work was done to get out of there, fine, but instead they acted like Jesus & Darryl beat the level by finding the motorcycle in the middle of the fortified compound.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

This show is more like a video game than TellTale's TWD video game.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Blazing Ownager posted:

That seems really stupid for so many loving reasons. Do you really want a wall that can kill your own people? Not just kill them but if some loving idiot gets bit and hides it, kill ALL of them? Then add into the fact an immobile walker is like far less effective than some good old fashioned barb wire for slowing movement down really. Dudes with pocket knives could clear their way through that stuff quicker than cutting metal.

Maybe it could work if all the zombies were basically hooked up on hierarchy chains, so you could "release" waves of the wall to confront attackers, but it looks like they're pretty static. All in all the truck full of walkers from season 3 was a superior use of zombies as weapons so, so far and away.

ED: Chucking an armored car with a blaring radio into a settlement is better too. So props to that one.

Well remember that most people except ricks group are incompetent at killing zombies. Guys like the Alexandrians and Hilltop folk would probably see the zombie wall and get scared shitless

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Not the Kingdom, though. They'd testudo it up.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The zombie wall has the benefit of dissuading people from trying to sneak in. Or at least making it obvious that someone snuck in when you see a path of freshly brain stabbed zombies.

Yes, the fact that Darryl was able to leave through the front gate unopposed means that they didn't have anyone guarding the gate so anyone could just come and go as they please, but still.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Yeah, having actually sawed through a human skull with a (somewhat dull) hacksaw, I don't get why all of these recently-dead people have squishy, stab-through heads.

Everyone needs a hobby I guess.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Remy Marathe posted:

I kinda just assumed, really. It's defensive, intimidating (look at how some of them are strung up), and punitive like you're saying.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

moist turtleneck posted:

Fear the Walking Dead Chris Crash
http://tinyurl.com/zra8tdu
Linked to save the people that are concerned with some dumbass kid on a dumbass show

lmao how the gently caress did the guys in the bed of the truck survive that? And why did they shoot the whiny kid? I gave up after the first season of that show, but that kid was annoying as poo poo.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Fear the Walking Dead was such a missed opportunity. I was so, so excited for a show that displayed the beginning of the apocalypse but gently caress me was it an absolutely lovely show.

Whenever I bitch about Walking Dead I just think about Fear and realize that it could be so, so much worse.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Well I'm glad to know that writing those characters as uncaring sociopaths in Season 1 was a deliberate decision...I'm still not watching it

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Fear the Walking Dead was such a missed opportunity. I was so, so excited for a show that displayed the beginning of the apocalypse but gently caress me was it an absolutely lovely show.

Whenever I bitch about Walking Dead I just think about Fear and realize that it could be so, so much worse.

I was really disappointed that it was set in LA. I know that's an important place and all, but it's such a boring setting to me. Same with second season of True Detective. You don't follow up a haunting rural setting with Generic TV Location #1.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Fear is only nominally set in LA, there's maybe two episodes set in the city and they might as well be any big city in the world.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It made a difference to me, but I know not everyone's gonna feel that way. And I don't really have a better idea of where they could have set it.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Kelly posted:

lmao how the gently caress did the guys in the bed of the truck survive that? And why did they shoot the whiny kid? I gave up after the first season of that show, but that kid was annoying as poo poo.

I just assumed they were flung out of the bed of the truck during the first flip.

Also they killed him because they are too-evil-to-function psychopaths. The dad beat them to death when he found out about it.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FlamingLiberal posted:

Well I'm glad to know that writing those characters as uncaring sociopaths in Season 1 was a deliberate decision...I'm still not watching it

It wasn't. They still haven't caught on. They think Nick is "enlightened" and "special" (and not in a bad way) because he sees the dead as people and enjoys roving in hordes.. even killing people WITH the horde. But they don't think he's the bad guy because the writers are balls out insane.

Say nothing of the fact in season 1 they slaughtered a military base that was legitimately helping and trying to evacuate people and in doing so, left the gate wide open to zombie town for the suburb they lived in, virtually insuring that every one of their neighbors was killed. It's amazing how they're evil through incompetence.

Kelly posted:

Because they came up with convoluted bullshit that those guys kill anyone's too injured to travel with them. Literally for no reason, it's not like they're worried about being found out or anything. The episode prior, they shoot their own best friend they've known since grade school because he couldn't roll with them despite the fact the idiot kid's dad offered to just.. stay there and help him recover, and pointed out he was recovering and needed a few days and there was literally no reason at all not to just leave him. Oh yeah, the whiny kid helped because they turned him into a psychotic budding serial killer out of absolutely loving NOWHERE in the middle of season 2.

There's no reason for it. Even in idiot frat boy logic it doesn't make jack poo poo for sense. It makes the TWD crew look like geniuses. It's kind of amazing how big of rear end in a top hat villains the Fear crew actually are without anybody involved in the production realizing that they're the rear end in a top hat villains. They literally gently caress up everything they touch and less than two weeks in the apocalypse, they're already murdering people with zombies out of the gate and don't.. slow.. down. Honestly I believe the show could be turned genius if given a new show runner and AMC stayed away from it and just full on went with acknowledging they were evil.

I mean it's not like every other "core premise" like the drama between three families - now it's just one - or the fact we were supposed to see the world fall, and instead they time faded over that to a Los Angeles populated by like 2 zombies. Everyone in Los Angeles MAY have been raptured, I don't know why they bombed it, it was empty as poo poo.

Some highlights: El Salivdad went loving nuts out of nowhere, started hallucinating, and set fire to a compound after the mother fed the person who owned the compound to zombie because.. uh.. she hated her stupid face. Like literally they weren't being forced to stay there. I should note that same episode EVERYONE went insane, to the point I thought there was LSD in the water, but nope writers just thought it'd be "deep." And as mentioned Chris suddenly decided "I'm a serial killer!" out of loving nowhere. Though absolutely nothing beats the time traveling airplane. I have to explain that because it's hilarious.

So remember those lovely shorts about the kid on the airplane during Fear's first season? Remember how he was texting his mother and she had no idea what was going on, and the zombie thing was a rumor? Well yeah, midway through season 2, that plane and a few characters from it return to the series.

Except there's a problem. The show runners treated the plane as if it just crashed - there was a wounded guy in one of the seats with a spike through him still bleeding out, because it was such a recent crash, in fact. Though there's a problem. The show had progressed around a month or two by that point, so, the chain of events with this airplane are:

1) Takes off before the zombie apocalypse
2) A zombie gets on board and it goes down
3) ??? Hits a black hole ???
4) Crashes over a month later on an Island off the coast near the Mexican border

Either that or 3 is "Guy survives over a month with a massive spike through his back squirting blood on a zombie infested Island with no food or water."

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 16, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It made a difference to me, but I know not everyone's gonna feel that way. And I don't really have a better idea of where they could have set it.

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Fear is only nominally set in LA, there's maybe two episodes set in the city and they might as well be any big city in the world.

Did it make it so much worse for you, Fitzy Fitz? Because I actually live in Los Angeles and holy poo poo did it drive me nuts.

Not only did they fail to make use of ANY unique thing about LA (helped by filming in Canada, no doubt) the bigger thing is they couldn't afford zombies so all of Los Angeles had like 2 zombies wandering around tops without even digitally incrasing them. The biggest set piece that kicks the military's rear end so bad, kills their CO and makes them want to retreat happens off screen over a radio because they couldn't afford loving zombies.

There's a rule when making TV I think people should have: If you cannot afford a setting or idea, change the setting or idea. They had the budget to film a show about a rural California highway rest stop down cut off from the major cities. It'd be like if you gave me a reasonable TV budget and I decided it had to take place in fantastic CGI alien environments, it's going to look like poo poo unless you have the money for it.

That said the budget was boosted to far more reasonable levels in season 2, but still not enough, because the major event of last season involved The Cartels, who were built up to basically be a Negan kind of enemy "so many of them we can't hope to win!" stuff. Except when they show up it's 10 dumbshits who blow all their ammo firing at the sky and are eaten by zombies after the worst siege I've ever seen on TV. I am not kidding when I say two guys with hunting rifles could have literally killed all of them without breaking a sweat the way they went about it. (Literally creeping through a mob of like 50 zombies on REALLY low ground in view of tons of towers and buildings on an overlooking hill.. quite literally school children could have planned a better attack).

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I would want to watch a Walking Dead spinoff set in mainland China

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I've never been to LA, but there doesn't seem to be anything interesting about it to me. There's a lot of sprawl...it's dry... The canals were kinda interesting, and I liked the racial diversity.

Granted, I'm from Georgia, so TWD feels like they're filming down the road from me. I like stuff like the overgrown country roads, the quarry, and the contrast between Atlanta and the surrounding countryside. Fortifying an old downtown like Woodbury was cool. And the CDC. The coastal episode could have been good. Honestly I've been wishing for several seasons that they'd just take off for a barrier island and fortify it against the mainland. Neither show has really taken advantage of the setting as much as they could have.

e: oh, and evacuating the city early on in Fear seemed like a huge copout.

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 16, 2016

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Zzulu posted:

I would want to watch a Walking Dead spinoff set in mainland China

I'm actually a little surprised another country hasn't produced a same-universe series yet.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Honestly I've been wishing for several seasons that they'd just take off for a barrier island and fortify it against the mainland. Neither show has really taken advantage of the setting as much as they could have.

If this show had a better sense of humor about itself, they'd have Eugene constantly suggesting stuff like this only for everyone else to shut him down.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 16, 2016

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

My theory is that at the beginning of the outbreak, most of the zombies from LA to Tijuana were raptured away by some kind of overseer and are being teleported in small-to-medium sized groups to the East Coast over Rick & co, and that's how zombies are able to sneak up on them out in the open out of literally nowhere.

The Walking Dead universe is a massive Hunger Games arena.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I've never been to LA, but there doesn't seem to be anything interesting about it to me. There's a lot of sprawl...it's dry... The canals were kinda interesting, and I liked the racial diversity.

There's a bunch, though not with the actual city itself so much. The big thing is the surrounding territory and landmarks like theme parks, the pier, etc. Which they couldn't afford to film any of so LA basically looked like any random Canadian town instead. Hell, street gangs vs zombies would have been fun if they didn't skip over the months. Or the fact the city's homeless population is insanely high these days.

But I'm asking a lot for a show that thought zombies could sneak around like ninjas infecting people unnoticed in the middle of a loving massive city and not get noticed for well over two Goddamn weeks. But part of the problem is in the show there were less infected in all of LA than there were in a random zombie pit in Washington and it made the whole thing feel just stupid.

ED: Oh yeah it was shown anyone dying was coming back to life at this point, like day 0 of the outbreak, but it still was covered up for weeks.. but not by a shady government organization because this silence was defeated by.. youtube.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

e: oh, and evacuating the city early on in Fear seemed like a huge copout.

Yep, they realized I think they didn't have the budget for it, too.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I have no idea why anyone did any of the things on this episode. Nothing made sense.

Steve Shultz
Jul 6, 2007
The ELIJAH LIST, spamming your inbox for the lord.
Remember back in season one when that guy had a bunch of visions of everyone getting killed and he wouldn't stop preemptively digging graves for people?

If psychics are real then maybe Negan can see the future as well?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

kaesarsosei posted:

I don't want to trawl the thread in case of spoilers, but can anyone explain the purpose of the zombie 'farm' at Negan's compound? It seems they send guys in to prod at them, impale them on spikes, put buckets on and off their heads, but I haven't a loving clue why they are doing it.
Perhaps you missed the last 6 seasons where it's shown that zombies make other zombies wander away - and that also they're kinda dangerous so not a bad first-line of defense outside of the whole not being able to bark or something - not like they sleep or get bored.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

I kind of interpreted the zombie wall as a deterrent to disobeying Negan. I assumed those were people who'd pissed him off, and he or one of his people, had killed them and now they are chained up in the yard as a constant reminder to those still living of what will happen to them if they try anything. I was a little confused at first too until the end of ep3 when that one guy tried to run away and Dwight found him. Dwight killed him but deliberately didn't shoot him in the head. Next time you see him, he's being corralled into the yard with a pail on his head and gets chained up like the rest of them.

But yeah it's also a good deterrent against other walkers. I guess it serves a double purpose.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Steve Shultz posted:

Remember back in season one when that guy had a bunch of visions of everyone getting killed and he wouldn't stop preemptively digging graves for people?

If psychics are real then maybe Negan can see the future as well?

Was that guy a comic thing or just a dropped plot point from the showrunner change? I don't even know if there's a list of things they wanted to do but had to drop after that.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Perhaps you missed the last 6 seasons where it's shown that zombies make other zombies wander away - and that also they're kinda dangerous so not a bad first-line of defense outside of the whole not being able to bark or something - not like they sleep or get bored.

Note this is the same 6 seasons where it's shown that zombies accrue due to being drawn to each others' noise, and bunching up any time a tasty treat is in a single spot (e.g. on the other side of a fence)

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.

Is that Garey Busey's daughter? Holy poo poo...That grill is some scary poo poo.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

fuckingtest posted:

Is that Garey Busey's daughter? Holy poo poo...That grill is some scary poo poo.

Can't wait to see her turn in to a biter.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Randandal posted:

Can't wait to see her turn in to a biter.

Who says she isn't already...?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
would

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

She can populate my zombie wall anytime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

She can populate my zombie wall anytime.

I too would impale her with a spike.