Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Couldn't they, you know, unapprove it? Just because they liked the idea a year ago doesn't mean that they haven't changed their minds in the last 12 months. The Rams awful attendance, the Raiders recent successes, and the Chargers being wholly uncompetitive are all relevant factors in the question of Can/Will LA Support The Chargers?

"Official" attendance is over 83K a game, which is second the NFL, they just happen to play in a stadium for 95K. But yeah, I also know that even though that number is the official number, there are a ton of people who aren't going and tons of people who are leaving early when they get blown out. Still, its not exactly a disaster right now.

It is worth noting, they were planning on capping attendance at 80K before the season by not selling the bleacher seats (USC Student section and visitors sections), but decided to sell them as cheap seats after high early sales (when people were expecting a good season)

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Couldn't they, you know, unapprove it? Just because they liked the idea a year ago doesn't mean that they haven't changed their minds in the last 12 months. The Rams awful attendance, the Raiders recent successes, and the Chargers being wholly uncompetitive are all relevant factors in the question of Can/Will LA Support The Chargers?

As far as I know there's no other alternative, just as there was not a year ago when they added the Chargers option to the LA deal.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Volkerball posted:

As far as I know there's no other alternative, just as there was not a year ago when they added the Chargers option to the LA deal.

Except the Mission Valley site is an alternative, as shown by the city's latest attempt to cut a deal with them. The Chargers just seem to think that Inglewood is better, so they pretend that no other options exist.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Except the Mission Valley site is an alternative, as shown by the city's latest attempt to cut a deal with them. The Chargers just seem to think that Inglewood is better, so they pretend that no other options exist.

The city attempting to make deals in no way says there's an alternative. It just says the city is trying to look like they are trying to make a deal. I haven't been keeping up with it though, so maybe after a decade or whatever San Diego is actually serious this time. :shrug:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

How does Spanos not get that Kroenke will do everything in his power, every single day to sabotage and undermine the Charger franchise and its growth in LA?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Volkerball posted:

The city attempting to make deals in no way says there's an alternative. It just says the city is trying to look like they are trying to make a deal. I haven't been keeping up with it though, so maybe after a decade or whatever San Diego is actually serious this time. :shrug:

The city has always been serious about Mission Valley. The Chargers want downtown or nothing

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

kiimo posted:

How does Spanos not get that Kroenke will do everything in his power, every single day to sabotage and undermine the Charger franchise and its growth in LA?

Doesn't care, counting money

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Volkerball posted:

The city is serious, they just don't want to spend $1B of taxpayer money and don't want the stadium downtown. Both of these are perfectly reasonable positions for the people of San Diego to take. They can be serious about keeping the Chargers without bending over backwards and sacrificing good urban planning to accommodate every whim of a billionaire sports franchise owner. Their willingness to lease the Mission Valley site (worth approximately $500M) to the Chargers for $1/year for 99 years indicates as much. Yes that's literally one dollar per year, not a typo.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 15, 2016

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/sdutKevinAcee/status/809181748861005825

Jerry wants the Chargers to stay? Pack it up folks, they're staying

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

a neat cape posted:

"City has to get to work" at what? Giving Spanos land that isn't available and money that the populace voted against giving?

Spanos is trying his hardest to turn his 'win-lose' situation into some dire 'lose-lose horribly' scenario by burning every bridge for an extra dollar that isn't even assured.

How the gently caress can he be so short sighted about this, anyway? He's gambling 80% of his fanbase and potentially owning his arena in exchange for a 5% bump in team value and a complete loss of non-branding revenue.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

a neat cape posted:

My understanding is the Chargers have until 1/15 to move to LA without another vote needed. I'd be shocked at this rate if we don't have an announcement at the 4th quarter whistle of their last game this season.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Uterine Lineup posted:

My understanding is the Chargers have until 1/15 to move to LA without another vote needed. I'd be shocked at this rate if we don't have an announcement at the 4th quarter whistle of their last game this season.

Like I said, the NFL has approved the Chargers to relocate. Spanos and Kroenke still have to come to an agreement on whether it'll be as a partner or a tenant and what the terms of that agreement are. And the two of them have shown zero progress in that department.

I expect them to file for relocation just like last year, and then not move, just like last year.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
It's hard for me to imagine Spanos making any deal where he's on equal footing (or less in Kroenke's case) with whoever he's dealing with. Everything we know about the man is just so amazingly petty.

I mean I'm sure it's happened at some point, I just can't imagine it.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
I hope Kroenke offers to rent his arena to Spanos for every game the Chargers play there, even when its SD @ LA, at about 10x the rate Sheldon Adelson was expecting UNLV to pay. Also no parking or concessions revenue, and the Chargers girls have to go.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Zurreco posted:

I hope Kroenke offers to rent his arena to Spanos for every game the Chargers play there, even when its SD @ LA, at about 10x the rate Sheldon Adelson was expecting UNLV to pay. Also no parking or concessions revenue, and the Chargers girls have to go.

Hell, same

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Zurreco posted:

I'd expect Kroenke to ask for a cut on any Chargers merchandise sold inside the arena also.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Expect hot water in the locker room showers to cut out after 30 seconds, playclocks to randomly malfunction, the speakers to cutout during the national anthem and beer drafts to be strangely all foam.

vvvvv I should show up in my Chiefs gear.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 15, 2016

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

hey, posted this in the N/V thread, but I've got two tickets to the Chargers v Raiders game this weekend if anyone's interested. Link to SA Mart thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3801804

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

kiimo posted:

Expect hot water in the locker room showers to cut out after 30 seconds, playclocks to randomly malfunction, the speakers to cutout during the national anthem and beer drafts to be strangely all foam.

vvvvv I should show up in my Chiefs gear.

Don't be That Guy

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

Zurreco posted:

I thought the university was going to be a partner in the stadium? That sucks that UNLV will have to pay to use the stadium.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

a neat cape posted:

Don't be That Guy

I don't own any Chiefs gear I'm not that guy

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Just wear an Alex Smith high school jersey or Tony Gonzalez Cal jersey, that will throw them off.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

an adult beverage posted:

I thought the university was going to be a partner in the stadium? That sucks that UNLV will have to pay to use the stadium.

Adelson basically said they would charge UNLV something around 5-6 figures per game because that was market rate. UNLV and the Vegas govt basically told him to gently caress right off and come back with more manageable numbers or else.

E: 250k per home game. http://m.lasvegassun.com/news/2016/oct/10/special-session-kicks-off-to-consider-nfl-stadium/

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
That's insane, SDSU pays $500k a season to use Qualcomm, and that figure includes the staff needed to run it.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

Zurreco posted:

Adelson basically said they would charge UNLV something around 5-6 figures per game because that was market rate. UNLV and the Vegas govt basically told him to gently caress right off and come back with more manageable numbers or else.

E: 250k per home game. http://m.lasvegassun.com/news/2016/oct/10/special-session-kicks-off-to-consider-nfl-stadium/

Which is also crazy since it goes against their whole narrative of "public stadium benefits everyone." And then charging exorbitant rates for the local college team that barely has a fanbase.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

an adult beverage posted:

Which is also crazy since it goes against their whole narrative of "public stadium benefits everyone." And then charging exorbitant rates for the local college team that barely has a fanbase.

hey man just keep saying the stadium being built is the path to joining a p5!!! and ignore that it won't happen because no one cares about a basketball team that was a powerhouse 25 years ago and that 4 football wins is seen as a good year lmao gently caress those in charge of unlv they're loving jokers gettin swindled by adelson

gonna look great to recruits when <5000 fans are in that nfl stadium because the team is eternally cursed to be poo poo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It absolutely will bring the PAC to Las Vegas (as a site to host the championship game when they decide to rotate it through places that are warm in November after the Levi exclusivity ends).

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/DailyNewsVinny/status/810586233931972608
https://twitter.com/DailyNewsVinny/status/810586755007217668

Bright side: Ross gets his wish. It won't be the LA Chargers

https://twitter.com/DailyNewsVinny/status/810628732385972229

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Bonsignore has been wrong about everything involving relocation and also said that the Carson project with the Raiders was a 100% done deal.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

a neat cape posted:

Bonsignore has been wrong about everything involving relocation and also said that the Carson project with the Raiders was a 100% done deal.

Lets hope he's wrong again because rebranding the chargers would be bullshit.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Los Angeles Rams and Los Angeles Other Rams

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Los Angeles Not-Raiders and Los Angeles Also-Not-Raiders.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Chichevache posted:

Los Angeles Not-Raiders and Los Angeles Also-Not-Raiders.

this is all that the other 31 teams are to me anyways

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The LA Lit Fam

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Seems to me the London Chargers is a much better idea than some halfass LA relocation.

Who is going to be a fan of the LA BrandNewTeamName when the Rams just came back before them and are renting them their stadium?

I mean, maybe if they hadn't fired Fisher. In that case anyone would abandon the Rams. Is this report from before that?

FuriousxGeorge fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 19, 2016

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Since this is being done to make as much money as possible, they should just sell the team name to the highest bidder. I look forward to rooting against the Los Angeles Red Bulls.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
The San Diego Chargers of Los Angeles of Anaheim.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

shirts and skins posted:

The Los San Diego Chargers of Los Angeles of Anaheim.

Almost there...

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

might as well get a jump and be the inglewood chargers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Vertical Lime posted:

might as well get a jump and be the inglewood chargers

California Chargers