Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It transcodes it too. It's quite useful if you travel and don't have a permanent data connection, but it's a shame it seems to be relegated to mobile devices (unless this has changed and I haven't noticed).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Irritated Goat posted:

Weird. My Roku wouldn't see the Plex server I had locally while my internet was out. I think I'm just cursed when it comes to Roku though. Lots of crashing\weird behavior.

No you're not the only one. I think my first-gen regular roku would work fine without an internet connection but I bought a newer one a couple years back and it would always stop working if the internet went down for awhile. I think it tried to phone home every-so-often and when it couldn't connect then it'd just refuse to load up my plex content.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Irritated Goat posted:

Weird. My Roku wouldn't see the Plex server I had locally while my internet was out. I think I'm just cursed when it comes to Roku though. Lots of crashing\weird behavior.

Sometimes the local network stuff is just weird. I've had issues with the plex app not seeing the server when they were running on the same machine.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Wacky Delly posted:

I've had issues with the plex app not seeing the server when they were running on the same machine.

Yup, I've hit this one a bunch of times except the local app works fine but the web portal can't see it.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

WhyteRyce posted:

Plex Lifetime is on sale for $120. More than the $75 special people get randomly offered, but possibly the only discount you'll ever see. How useful is the Sync/Download option for most people? Does it just download the original file or does it transcode into a format the device can play?

It transcodes if it needs to. You can do it on your PC but you have to use the store app, currently Plex Media Player doesn't seem to do it. Don't know if that'll change.

I find it helpful because my server is kind of low-powered and can't always transcode well on the fly. This isn't a problem with PMP though which can pretty much always direct play, but keeping the next couple unviewed episodes synced to my android tablet is pretty nice.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I've had my phone not see my plex server unless I'm logged into my plex account so I could see something dumb like the roku not being able to see the plex server if it can't authenticate since the server was logged into your plex account at one point.

I also could just have some setting stuff busted on my end.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

snuff posted:

Firefox OS is dead, there will be no new apps.

oh ffs that is not what I wanted to hear. can you root a tv?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

It transcodes it too. It's quite useful if you travel and don't have a permanent data connection, but it's a shame it seems to be relegated to mobile devices (unless this has changed and I haven't noticed).

The Windows 10 UWP app also allows sync.
Pretty useful for keeping a laptop synced to your current shows for commutes/etc.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Plex goes on sale today for $120, and I bought it early this morning for $149 :suicide:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

greazeball posted:

oh ffs that is not what I wanted to hear. can you root a tv?

Just get something like a FireTV / Roku / Shield TV / Anything else. Using the OS on your TV is not the greatest experience.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

BoyBlunder posted:

Plex goes on sale today for $120, and I bought it early this morning for $149 :suicide:

Tweet them about it, they'll give you the$30 back.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Khablam posted:

The Windows 10 UWP app also allows sync.
Pretty useful for keeping a laptop synced to your current shows for commutes/etc.

The Plex Windows store app is one of their most functional and polished clients, surprisingly enough. I use it all the time on my laptop while travelling. Sync is a big deal for it, and I love the way it handles it:

If you have an internet connection but it's lovely (in a hotel, say) you can tell the client to prefer synced files but still connect to your regular PMS server. I do this all the time to background download files over crappy internet while watching stuff I already synced. Or occasionally put up with crappier quality if I really want to watch something new that's on my home server.

When you don't have internet, like on a plane (or it's super lovely, also like on a plane) you can quickly switch the "server" to the local client, and it will only show media you've synced.

It also does a very good job of encoding the files being synced on the fly - they end up being perfect for my device and quite a bit smaller. Sync is absolutely worth PlexPass if you travel. Also worth it if you have a friend who shares their library and they allow you to sync as well as stream (it's an option for the host), that way you can get stuff they have permanently.

The Plex client for iOS does this really well too.

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't really need any of the plex pass features but I use the free version of plex all the time. The plex reddit says they have hinted at going all subscription? I assume the lifetime pass holders would avoid having to pay a monthly fee.

Also 1.3.2.3112-1751929 broke some of my channels. Everything on the cbs channel gives me an error now. Anyone else?

plape tickler fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Dec 13, 2016

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

WhyteRyce posted:

Plex Lifetime is on sale for $120. More than the $75 special people get randomly offered, but possibly the only discount you'll ever see. How useful is the Sync/Download option for most people? Does it just download the original file or does it transcode into a format the device can play?

Jesus Christ I just subbed lifetime a day before.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Hughlander posted:

Jesus Christ I just subbed lifetime a day before.

As mentioned earlier tweet them, or whatever the gently caress system people younger than me are using these days, and they will refund you the difference.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Plex Cloud drops support for Amazon Drive

quote:

Greetings from the Plex Cloud team,

A few weeks ago we shared with you that we’ve had challenges integrating Amazon Drive as a storage option for Plex Cloud. The team has worked tirelessly to address these issues, improve the scalability and performance of our infrastructure, and to expand storage options by introducing support for Google Drive, Dropbox, and Microsoft OneDrive, all of which are working great. Unfortunately, the challenges with Amazon Drive have proven insurmountable at this time, so we have decided to remove Amazon Drive as a storage option for Plex Cloud for the foreseeable future.

Current beta users with a linked Amazon Drive account will no longer be able to use Amazon with Plex Cloud after December 31st.

If you signed up for an Amazon Drive account specifically to use with Plex Cloud on or after our original announcement, you should still have time to cancel while you are in their 90-day free trial. We realize some of you have uploaded lots of media to Amazon Drive to work with Plex Cloud and the transition to another Cloud storage provider is easier said than done. This was a tough call for us to make, but a necessary one made with our users’ best interests in mind. If you already have content on Amazon Drive, there’s info on options for migrating data to a supported provider in our forum. We look forward to coming out of the beta with multiple popular storage options that provide a simple, seamless, and beautiful Plex experience.

Thanks again for your interest in Plex Cloud!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah just came here to post. It had a 2gb file limit, so I hadn't even bothered testing it in the end.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I'm betting Amazon didn't want to deal with legal issues with all the companies whose products they sell, since that Amazon Drive link could flagrantly be used to stream pirated poo poo.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I tried installing the beta server so I could play around with the DVR but I got an error saying there already is another version installed. Can I not install the beta version over an official? And if I uninstall, can I back up and restore my setup or will I have to do everything again?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Fuzz posted:

I'm betting Amazon didn't want to deal with legal issues with all the companies whose products they sell, since that Amazon Drive link could flagrantly be used to stream pirated poo poo.

I'm also willing to bet that Google Drive, Dropbox, and OneDrive will eventually follow. Plex Cloud always sounded like a bad idea from the start to me, for obvious reasons :tinfoil:

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

teagone posted:

I'm also willing to bet that Google Drive, Dropbox, and OneDrive will eventually follow. Plex Cloud always sounded like a bad idea from the start to me, for obvious reasons :tinfoil:

Seriously, what makes them think the others won't notice? Even a relatively small number of users uploading a shitload of content - pirated content - is going to get noticed. Like, for example, Amazon did. It's not like there aren't users, frankly, who work at all of those companies.

Were they just counting on flying under the radar, or do they believe their own bullshit? No one is just using Plex for their own Photos or personal home videos no matter how hard they push that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It seems if Plex is serious about doing this, they're going to need to roll out their own centers with end to end encryption, and that just seems far too much work/cost to bother based on how many people want such a thing.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

EL BROMANCE posted:

It seems if Plex is serious about doing this, they're going to need to roll out their own centers with end to end encryption, and that just seems far too much work/cost to bother based on how many people want such a thing.

There is zero chance of that happening. I will become a fighter pilot in the Chinese air force (I live in Texas) before that happens.

It smacks of "Cloud is a thing that keeps growing, how can we latch on to it?". Or they really are deluded as to just how much of their userbase uses Plex to watch downloaded media that the creators and owners of said media didn't authorize. I mean, seriously, people were putting 30+ Terabytes of pirated BDs up on Amazon. That is so not something Amazon or anyone else is going to wink and nod at. "Hey Bob, think of the hundreds or even THOUSANDS of people who will pay us $100-200 a year to host content that will get us terrible PR at the least and sued at worst! We could beat them in court under the CDA, it's got to be worth the return!". No.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Exactly. It seems they've wasted far too much time on this already when there's plenty of other things that could be added or fixed.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Wait. Do you know for a fact it's not encrypted? I.e. You could just download it with a normal amazon drive client and play it no problems?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It was admittedly an assumption, but if I can find some time over the next few days I'll set up the software (provided it doesn't cause conflicts with my existing setup) and see what happens on my Amazon account.

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.
The way it works is you have to upload your files unencrypted to Amazon Cloud Drive (or another supported provider) then point the Plex Cloud server instance at the folder containing unencrypted files. What they should have done is added basically any kind of encryption support to their Cloud version of the server and also made an uploader that used that same encryption. The files would then be encrypted at rest and only unencrypted in-memory on the EC2(?) instances of Plex Cloud servers during playback.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
The encrypted debate always comes up in discussions of Plex's cloud storage support and the answer is always the same - encrypting isn't going to hide the fact that you've got 10, 20, 30, whatever TB of media up there that you are streaming to a client. They aren't stupid. The problems with Amazon aren't happening by accident.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The truth of the matter is that storing and transferring 10+ TB of anything isn't cheap. If you thought you were actually going to get unlimited storage and bandwidth for $60 a year, I've got a bridge to sell you.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Can I put stolen cars on that bridge, or...?

edit: oh, I took the plunge and got lifetime. Hopefully I keep using it, but it's been invaluable in my house so far.

odiv fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 16, 2016

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

odiv posted:

Can I put stolen cars on that bridge, or...?

edit: oh, I took the plunge and got lifetime. Hopefully I keep using it, but it's been invaluable in my house so far.

Plex is still great even if you never touch the cloud poo poo and having Premium for syncing to mobile is awesome if you travel even a little bit or otherwise are in places where good access back to your home server isn't a given. Also, you get features and betas earlier.

Case in point: I have yet to touch any cloud drive or cloud PMS poo poo. When I used Emby it was half-decent for syncing the occasional show to, say, Dropbox, when I was on the road since often downloading off dropbox was much faster than from my home server. I got AT&T Gigapower when I moved a few months back so that is no longer an issue but I am sure that use case is still super useful to many.

As far as running PMS and storing all media in "the cloud" - gently caress that.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Oh yeah, I have 0 interest in Cloud. I'm in Canada and have restrictive limits.

As an aside, I have a spare lovely older android phone that is way behind on OSes. Do old builds of the android app work with some fiddling? Or am I out of luck there? The thing still plays Netflix and Youtube fine.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ixian posted:

As far as running PMS and storing all media in "the cloud" - gently caress that.

I remember the day when I first heard the term 'cloud computing' and looked into it... so wait, rather than having to pay for a ton of overage I don't actually need, I now have a distributed system that can react and keep up with big surges when they happen, and scale appropriately? That's so cool!

Then someone in the media, presumably, heard the term and now it just means 'on the internet'. Thanks Obama.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

EL BROMANCE posted:

I remember the day when I first heard the term 'cloud computing' and looked into it... so wait, rather than having to pay for a ton of overage I don't actually need, I now have a distributed system that can react and keep up with big surges when they happen, and scale appropriately? That's so cool!

Then someone in the media, presumably, heard the term and now it just means 'on the internet'. Thanks Obama.

"The Cloud" in terms of scalable on-tap distributed computing where the pricing model is pay as you go is awesome, and lots of good solutions exist for that.

"The Cloud" as in take your data center poo poo on prem and move it to another data center managed by somebody else so you can take capital expenses and payroll off your P&L became a thing and makes sense from a financial point of view but less so from a technical one. That model is driven by tax laws for the most part.

I'm not saying something like Plex couldn't benefit from the first definition, but the problem is in the end it's dealing with a bunch of copyright violations and the people who own the infrastructure generally don't want anything to do with that. In the US, by law they have to crack down on it, otherwise they lose the shield section 230 of the CDA provides them. That is what makes Plex's push in to this area so puzzling.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Ixian posted:

"The Cloud" as in take your data center poo poo on prem and move it to another data center managed by somebody else so you can take capital expenses and payroll off your P&L became a thing and makes sense from a financial point of view but less so from a technical one. That model is driven by tax laws for the most part.

It was heavily pushed by the NSA, CIA, and DHS, as well. Under a lot of the provisions of the PATRIOT act those intelligence services can scrape your data legally every time it's moved between servers. The populace is otherwise none the wiser.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The problem with plex cloud isn't that people upload pirated films, it's that everything you upload is technically in breach of copyright and "as legal" as sticking pirate rips on there. Arguably, since you're the one defeating BR encryption and doing the upload, it's worse.

It's not a thing with legs sadly.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Thing is, this was never a big priority with law enforcement, compared to global dangers like crazy gunmen, sympathizers of crazy despots, etc. If the FBI couldn't be bothered to go after Reddit's pedo poo poo sitting right there in the open, what makes you think they care about your Plex account.

I don't mean to dare you that nothing's going to happen, but some people who pirate things seem to think the full force of the Snowden machine is going to be applied to them. Like you're going to go board a plane and the TSA worker will ask how you got two volumes of Naruto and the de-specialized edition of Empire Strikes Back on your laptop.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 18, 2016

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Let us know how cavalier you are when you're facing a 1.2 trillion dollar judgment and 36 consecutive life sentences.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'll reiterate that I said nothing will ever happen to anyone, just that the kind of privacychat above my post is (IMO) a tad paranoid but also doesn't belong in this thread.

How people store their :filez: really isn't in our scope.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Dec 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Craptacular! posted:

Thing is, this was never a big priority with law enforcement, compared to global dangers like crazy gunmen, sympathizers of crazy despots, etc. If the FBI couldn't be bothered to go after Reddit's pedo poo poo sitting right there in the open, what makes you think they care about your Plex account.

I don't mean to dare you that nothing's going to happen, but some people who pirate things seem to think the full force of the Snowden machine is going to be applied to them. Like you're going to go board a plane and the TSA worker will ask how you got two volumes of Naruto and the de-specialized edition of Empire Strikes Back on your laptop.

This whole veer into law enforcement - whether the FBI is going to gun for you, whether the NSA is secretly recording all your loving BD rips, etc. - is puzzling to me because that isn't what the problem with Plex Cloud is about at all.

Is the FBI going to waste time on this? Not likely. Are the MPAA and their various counterparts going to serve notice to Amazon, Dropbox, et. all if (when) they find out? More probable.

More to the point, are the lawyers who are employed by the hundreds by these multi-million and billion dollar companies going to even allow for the chance of this happening? gently caress no. They are a business, the law whether you agree with it or not is clear, and at the very least none of them want bad PR. Amazon in particular is already in a dicey game with studios, given that they produce their own content now and legally license a lot of stuff they don't. Why would they even bother taking a chance for some cloud storage accounts that net them a few hundred bucks a year on average, and that's for the heaviest users?