Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Rick posted:

This was a continuation of the last deal with some improvements but the last deal was reallly bad. So in a sense I get where Draymond is coming from. But there is no way they are fixing that without a very long stoppage where public sentiment is on their side or a successful competing league.

I don't think public sentiment should even be a concern because I think the numerous lockouts have shown it's gonna be largely against the players regardless. Look at how many people still thought it was the players who shut down the NBA/NHL/NFL previously.

If they really wanted to force the issue, they should either start a strike during the All star weekend or right before the playoffs. You need to make sure that the owners are also feeling the bite of a work stoppage (moreso than just the loss of revenue).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

alansmithee posted:

I don't think public sentiment should even be a concern because I think the numerous lockouts have shown it's gonna be largely against the players regardless. Look at how many people still thought it was the players who shut down the NBA/NHL/NFL previously.

If they really wanted to force the issue, they should either start a strike during the All star weekend or right before the playoffs. You need to make sure that the owners are also feeling the bite of a work stoppage (moreso than just the loss of revenue).

Those would be unlawful strikes .

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

euphronius posted:

Those would be unlawful strikes .

Yea, expiring cba time is the only time NBA players can strike, unless the owners were forcing them to take horse steroids or something and then they could strike for unfair labor practices

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dejan Bimble posted:

Yea, expiring cba time is the only time NBA players can strike, unless the owners were forcing them to take horse steroids or something and then they could strike for unfair labor practices

:hf: labor law buddy

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Dejan Bimble posted:

Is that written into the CBA? If so no wonder the owners won. Alternately, could they do some decertification type tactic to abandon the season (I know that was threatened before, when they were gonna go after the antitrust exemption or w/e).

I just recall when baseball players went on strike mid-season, how was that legal? Or did they claim unfair labor practices?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The players position significantly weakens once any kind of stoppage happens, although I guess they might stay unified better now that Kobe isn't around to call up CP3 at 2am and just take the drat deal so he can go back to chasing buckets

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Most NBA players have a limited window to earn 95% of what they will ever ever earn in their life . This complicates things.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

R.D. Mangles posted:

how common is it for a team to have a back-to-back home and home against the same team

bulls are at mil tonight and tomorrow have mil at the UC

code:
season   #
2000     6
2001     3
2002     8
2003    13
2004     6
2005     3
2006     8
2007     5
2008    12
2009     8
2010     2
2011     3
2012     8
2013     9
2014     9
2015     4
2016     4
2017     5

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

alansmithee posted:

Is that written into the CBA? If so no wonder the owners won. Alternately, could they do some decertification type tactic to abandon the season (I know that was threatened before, when they were gonna go after the antitrust exemption or w/e).

I just recall when baseball players went on strike mid-season, how was that legal? Or did they claim unfair labor practices?

It's because of the CBA, the players agreed and so they operate under its terms. If you ask, what about newly drafted players, well they have to join the union or just play somewhere else, so they're included. That bargaining agreement means every strike that's about compensation is an 'unlawful' strike.

The NBA players are at a big disadvantage because the networks agreed to pay the owners even if no games were played, so they have no risk, they can lock out players forever.

As for baseball, I don't know, I just looked at the wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994%9695_Major_League_Baseball_strike#Background
It seems that owners colluded over free agents and unilaterally changed salary terms, so the courts ruled in players favor for unfair labor practices

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The players should have been smart and used this new pro Russia atmosphere to use that as leverage against the league

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

euphronius posted:

Most NBA players have a limited window to earn 95% of what they will ever ever earn in their life . This complicates things.
this isn't really true at all and most NBA athletes are smart enough/diligent enough to parlay their expertise into a second career/buy a franchise or something. the rookie seminars and team mentorships and poo poo like that are working to a large degree.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bud Selig getting into the hall of fame makes me never want to watch a baseball game again.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

euphronius posted:

Bud Selig getting into the hall of fame makes me never want to watch a baseball game again.

How bad does a commissioner have to be to not get into their Hall of Fame?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I'm going to regret saying this, but Buddy has been approaching competency the last several games.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Kibner posted:

I'm going to regret saying this, but Buddy has been approaching competency the last several games.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

How bad does a commissioner have to be to not get into their Hall of Fame?

I don't think Vincent or giamatti are in?
Maybe they are.

Baseball is so terrible what a horribly run sport. They crucify and ostracized their best player because they are dumb.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

NFL has by far the worst commissioner/ownership/player relationship. They still don't have guaranteed contracts.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

straight up brolic posted:

NFL has by far the worst commissioner/ownership/player relationship. They still don't have guaranteed contracts.

Yes but football is family and that's what's important

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh for sure

The NFL is worse than college football which if you think about it is pretty amazing

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Of the three major sports the NBA is the only one approaching humanist sanity.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The NHL might be close considering what's happened in the last ten years there.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

euphronius posted:

Of the three major sports the NBA is the only one approaching humanist sanity.

I casually follow the Bucks, but when I found out that the new owners want to make the Bucks like the Packers are with their community, it made me want to follow a bit more.

In other news, the one person we wanted to hear from today:
https://twitter.com/GeraldBourguet/status/809557950641471488

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Crazy Ted posted:

The NHL might be close considering what's happened in the last ten years there.

This, plus the NHL's response to concussions makes the NFL look progressive.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/kgarea21/status/809561815344525312

drat KG got it all dusty in here

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

:(

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/haralabob/status/809602137273430017

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Man I'm hella bummed out about this Sager thing :(

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

He got to see the Cubs win a World Series :unsmith:

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

euphronius posted:

I don't think Vincent or giamatti are in?
Maybe they are.

Baseball is so terrible what a horribly run sport. They crucify and ostracized their best player because they are dumb.

Free Pete Rose

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I had the pleasure of meeting Craig Sager once. There was a group of us wounded army guys who would hang around all day at the basketball court while we were rehabbing at Walter Reed. It was basically all we had to pass the time. We would bullshit, then play a game. Bitch about our injuries, then play a game. It was the only time we ever felt like things were back to normal.

One of the guys everyone loved had broken both of his legs really badly in an IED blast. One day he didn't come in. A week passed and we figured he was just discharged to hospice or something and had just made an Irish Exit because he didn't want to say goodbye. About three weeks later he showed back up with his legs amputated. they just couldn't save them because they were broken beyond fixing.

This destroyed morale for about 15 minutes because all of a sudden Craig walked in. I almost didn't recognize him because he had khakis on. I mean, his sweater was pretty sager-esque but the khakis and shoes were all dad fashion. He joked with every single one of us for the whole afternoon. He played horse with my newly amputated buddy and wrecked him. On his way out he said if we ever needed anything, he would remember our names and get us into games. I never took him up on it but I really do believe he would have given me that ugly rear end sweater off his back.

Thanks again Craig. I just wish I had gotten to beat your rear end at horse. I had next

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Time posted:

I had the pleasure of meeting Craig Sager once. There was a group of us wounded army guys who would hang around all day at the basketball court while we were rehabbing at Walter Reed. It was basically all we had to pass the time. We would bullshit, then play a game. Bitch about our injuries, then play a game. It was the only time we ever felt like things were back to normal.

One of the guys everyone loved had broken both of his legs really badly in an IED blast. One day he didn't come in. A week passed and we figured he was just discharged to hospice or something and had just made an Irish Exit because he didn't want to say goodbye. About three weeks later he showed back up with his legs amputated. they just couldn't save them because they were broken beyond fixing.

This destroyed morale for about 15 minutes because all of a sudden Craig walked in. I almost didn't recognize him because he had khakis on. I mean, his sweater was pretty sager-esque but the khakis and shoes were all dad fashion. He joked with every single one of us for the whole afternoon. He played horse with my newly amputated buddy and wrecked him. On his way out he said if we ever needed anything, he would remember our names and get us into games. I never took him up on it but I really do believe he would have given me that ugly rear end sweater off his back.

Thanks again Craig. I just wish I had gotten to beat your rear end at horse. I had next

Wow man, thanks for sharing that. I have a feeling a bunch of people in all walks are sharing their positive Craig Sager stories.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Time posted:

:unsmith:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lockback posted:

Wow man, thanks for sharing that. I have a feeling a bunch of people in all walks are sharing their positive Craig Sager stories.

You say that like there could be a negative one

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

WhyteRyce posted:

The players position significantly weakens once any kind of stoppage happens, although I guess they might stay unified better now that Kobe isn't around to call up CP3 at 2am and just take the drat deal so he can go back to chasing buckets

Wrong Laker, it was Shaq actually, although to be fair he gave up 40 million dollars in order to make it happen.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Time posted:

Great story, thank you.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

It looks like Varejao was crying during Kerr's sager thing. You're a good dude when you're not being a flopping poo poo Andy :unsmith:

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
If Dray really wanted to do more for his fellow players he could stop kicking them all in the balls. Be the change you want to see in the world Draymond.

PS real fuckin dusty in here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Rick posted:

Wrong Laker, it was Shaq actually, although to be fair he gave up 40 million dollars in order to make it happen.

Stop being a Kobe apologist

quote:

“Late in the evening before the Waldorf Astoria meeting, I was already in bed for the night when my phone rang," Hunter wrote in the court filing. "The caller identified himself as the ‘Black Mamba.' I knew it was Kobe Bryant, a superstar player for the Los Angeles Lakers and the highest paid player in the NBA."

Bryant informed Hunter that his agent, Pelinka also was on the phone.

At that point, Hunter said that Bryant urged him to accept a 50-50 split of revenue in the meeting the following day and "put this thing to bed. ... Do the deal."

Hunter said Bryant also told him, "I got your back."

• Locked thread