Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

wild I know

I like it, imo the story is the best in the trilogy.

The gameplay is the worst of the three - but that shouldn't be surprising.

Also: play either an Adept or... I dunno, a soldier? In ME1 - all the classes get completely changed for the 2nd, and then changed again for the 3rd, and most of the classes are kind of boring in the 1st (I've heard Sentinel can be fun but haven't tried it). Adept is hilariously broken and overpowered, but being a space wizard is fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Yeah, pick whichever class sounds fun to you and do not worry if you can only use pistols in the game because by about 2/3rds of the way through you can bring down a geth colossus with just your pistol (and maybe some biotics or tech skills if you were in a hurry).
Pistols are godly weapons in ME1.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

JawKnee posted:

wild I know

I like it, imo the story is the best in the trilogy.

The gameplay is the worst of the three - but that shouldn't be surprising.

Also: play either an Adept or... I dunno, a soldier? In ME1 - all the classes get completely changed for the 2nd, and then changed again for the 3rd, and most of the classes are kind of boring in the 1st (I've heard Sentinel can be fun but haven't tried it). Adept is hilariously broken and overpowered, but being a space wizard is fun.

Yeah I remember liking the story, but I think the last time I played it was shortly after release - hence the question. Adept is a good idea, I'm usually a boring soldier in these games so it will be fun to change it up a bit! I did my first play through as male Shepard (I liked that his voice acting made the game sound like a low rent sci if movie), so on top of andromeda coming out I'm really in this to see what all of this female Shepard business is about!

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Jennifer Hale nails it as FemShep.
FemShep is always the right choice.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Helith posted:

Jennifer Hale nails it as FemShep.
FemShep is always the right choice.

Mark Meer would have made a poor femshep I agree

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
My favorite part of mass effect was when mister chief blew up the halo

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
The citadel was the hole from the halo, it originally was a big closed in disc

The horribly racist chinese caricatures on episode 1 also had a halo

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Jar Jar wasn't Chinese dude

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Can someone catch me up on the last 15 pages? Still talking about nothing because there is nothing to talk about?

Have you ever noticed that the Salarians, Krogan, Turians, Hanar, Elcor, Volus, Vorcha and Yahg all look sort of alien, though most are humanoid. But the Asari look like blue humans. Hmm....I wonder why.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

There's the Asari are a parasite that makes everyone think they are attractive theory. It's not true but it would be hilarious if it was.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

My favorite part of mass effect was when mister chief blew up the halo

oh, word?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Waltzing Along posted:

Can someone catch me up on the last 15 pages? Still talking about nothing because there is nothing to talk about?

Have you ever noticed that the Salarians, Krogan, Turians, Hanar, Elcor, Volus, Vorcha and Yahg all look sort of alien, though most are humanoid. But the Asari look like blue humans. Hmm....I wonder why.

That hasn't stopped half of the internet from wanting to gently caress them.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Trast posted:

That hasn't stopped half of the internet from wanting to gently caress them.

What's wrong with 1/2 the internet?

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

They are the wrong half

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
You would

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

What's wrong with 1/2 the internet?

The other half of the internet is too busy wanting to gently caress Overwatch characters.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

How does ME1 hold up these days? I want to play through the series before Andromeda is released and I've never played the DLC for the third game, so now seems like a good enough time as ever to get that done!

Get this graphics mod for ME1 and then it at least holds up to say ME2 and 3 somewhat. You need to DL another tool first to patch the ME exe so that it accepts system memory of larger than 4GB though.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Kibayasu posted:

The other half of the internet is too busy wanting to gently caress Overwatch characters.

Well Winston is a bit of a daddy

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Kibayasu posted:

Greetings

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Teron D Amun posted:

Get this graphics mod for ME1 and then it at least holds up to say ME2 and 3 somewhat. You need to DL another tool first to patch the ME exe so that it accepts system memory of larger than 4GB though.

Does this mod still take a year and a half to install? I wanted to try it out but that's what kept me from using it last time.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

exquisite tea posted:

Does this mod still take a year and a half to install? I wanted to try it out but that's what kept me from using it last time.

It took me 10 minutes, which granted felt like an eternity.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

exquisite tea posted:

Took about 10 minutes to patch the exe with LAA and install a graphics mod.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Does it remove the film grain?

Not my mass effect :colbert:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
it can add a better film grain I think

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

JawKnee posted:

Mark Meer would have made a poor femshep I agree

Great, now you've got me wanting the option to pick male/female body independently from picking male/female voice.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Helith posted:

Yeah, pick whichever class sounds fun to you and do not worry if you can only use pistols in the game because by about 2/3rds of the way through you can bring down a geth colossus with just your pistol (and maybe some biotics or tech skills if you were in a hurry).
Pistols are godly weapons in ME1.

Even for soldiers, pistols are arguably the best weapon. Assault rifles get nasty once you dump skill points into them and get the specter gun, but pistols are good all the time.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
For some reason, the game gives you an absurdly good pistol during your first visit to the Citadel, and it outclasses anything else you might find, pistol or otherwise, for at least a full world.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

The treatment of the Geth in ME3 is still just awful. Real Boys ahoy! Note: Legion died on the way back to his home planet

Still the best course of action: Save both, kill the Geth with destroy (as if I even get that far into an ME3 playthrough any more)

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Coughing Hobo posted:

For some reason, the game gives you an absurdly good pistol during your first visit to the Citadel, and it outclasses anything else you might find, pistol or otherwise, for at least a full world.

Pistols don't have the accuracy issues that other weapons have (because they're assumed to be lower damage, lower fire rate weapons and are more accurate to compensate), which backfires because depending on mods you can effectively make them sub machine guns or sniper rifles shooting explosive rounds

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

How does ME1 hold up these days? I want to play through the series before Andromeda is released and I've never played the DLC for the third game, so now seems like a good enough time as ever to get that done!

I'm three pages back from the end of this thread, and I'm positive you're gonna get people bitching about how janky or lame or whatever it is, so I want to tell you that it's still fine to play if you want to replay it. I've spent the past month playing through the ME series (I'm in the beginning of ME3 right now) and ME1 shows its age, especially design-wise, but it's perfectly fine to play. The car tank is annoying when you're bouncing around, but combat is fine, and the story is fine if you've already played it.

Put subtitles on and skip through conversations as desired (watch out not to spacebar your way through actual dialog choices, though :argh:)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

DarkHorse posted:

Pistols don't have the accuracy issues that other weapons have (because they're assumed to be lower damage, lower fire rate weapons and are more accurate to compensate), which backfires because depending on mods you can effectively make them sub machine guns or sniper rifles shooting explosive rounds

If I remember right another part of what makes pistols so ridiculous in ME1 is the skill you can activate, because when you do pistols have the highest sustained damage output of any type of weapon in the game or something.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I liked the reapas

I wish they would have done something more interesting with them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYDmq1TeDFs

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Adept with max Lift, Adept and Pistols can take down Geth Colossus on Insanity without breaking a sweat.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Having played through all of Mass Effect 1 like four or five times, there's nothing wrong at this point with using console commands to cheat yourself to 999999 credits and whatever armor/guns you want to use. Not because the game is all that difficult, but because the inventory management and breaking everything down into omni-gel every 10 minutes is a real buzzkill that should be devoted to more engaging tasks, such as scanning the keepers.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Drifter posted:

Put subtitles on and skip through conversations as desired (watch out not to spacebar your way through actual dialog choices, though :argh:)

It's kind of crazy that at no point in the trilogy did they ever fix that problem (especially since they got it right in DA2 and inquisition, proving how easy it is to fix)

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Zzulu posted:

I liked the reapas

holy poo poo it's been almost five years since ME3? drat

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

RottenK posted:

Mass Effect would be a better franchise if Reapers were an armada of huge metal skeletons flying around in space and shooting eye lasers

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Zzulu posted:

I liked the reapas

It's funny how that trailer was realized much more in multiplayer than in the single player. The battles were much more frantic in the former.

As far as weapons went in the games pistols were king in ME1. When ME2 came about the pistol (minus the Carnifex) took a back seat to the other weapons with things like the Mattock, Widow, and the Geth Plasma Shotgun. ME3 had the nicest variety of weapons where each type had one that would be a world beater when used properly. If I had to pick a weakest type for ME3 it would have been the sub-machine guns.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Adept with max Lift, Adept and Pistols can take down Geth Colossus on Insanity without breaking a sweat.

Well I mean, anyone can, you just hold down mouse 1 until it falls over. I did this with every geth colossus and tresher maw in the game, because you get more xp killing them on foot than with the mako.

It's me, I'm the minmax sperg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I'm playing Mass Effect 3 now, as a Vanguard, and the Venom (?) shotgun thing is a loving beast. A half-second to charge up and you have a one-shot grenade launcher. Even the normal mode is a brutal pulverizer.

But yeah, I've only ever played as an Adept, and although I think mage is much more fun, Vanguard is a lot more frantic sometimes.