Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Space Fish posted:

Supergirl is losing me... the Rebirth "get to the core of the character" formula has worked well for many of DC's characters, but Supergirl angsting over Krypton and her parents during yet another invasion of Earth feels stale. I'll take the TV-imitating Adventures of Supergirl over this, easily.

Technically, Kara is still the New 52 angst-filled rage monster, so I understand wanting to do an arc that puts all that to bed for good. I just don't get why it has to be a six issue storyline when she could be interning for Cat Grant. I will say I like how they kept the scientist aspect of her New 52 character intact, and I can't believe I only just now noticed that Eliza Danvers only has one hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Superbro! :neckbeard:

quote:

ACTION COMICS #976

Written by DAN JURGENS—Art by DOUG MAHNKE and JAIME MENDOZA—Cover by PATRICK GLEASON and MICK GRAY—Variant cover by GARY FRANK

“SUPERMAN REBORN” finale! As this epic tale wraps up, Superman’s life is drastically changed…and that’s all we are saying for now—except that you won’t want to miss it!

* The covers by Patrick Gleason and Mick Gray and the variant covers by Gary Frank for SUPERMAN #18-19 and ACTION COMICS #975-976 will connect to form a single vertical image.

On sale MARCH 22 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Bringing back lame Superman from N52 and doing a Superman Red/Blue with them as that cover implies is just about the way I should have expected DC to screw up the great thing they have going with the Superman books.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Eh Action was never good anyway and Death of the Family proves Tomasi and Gleason can do great things with otherwise awful crossovers. It'll be fine.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am assuming that Superbro is going to turn out to be Conner Kent or something and they'll shunt him off to be vaguely relevant in a Teen Titans book or something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Bringing back lame Superman from N52 and doing a Superman Red/Blue with them as that cover implies is just about the way I should have expected DC to screw up the great thing they have going with the Superman books.

I'm not jumping to any conclusions. I figure this story is just going to end with Clark being able to be Clark Kent again.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

BrianWilly posted:

New Super-Man has gotten pretty interesting and entertaining with these last couple of issues now that it's really found its voice and story. I think I will be continuing with this book for the time being.
#5 was just a gigantic :psyduck: for me but #6 broadly turned it around and I admit a certain intrigue as to whether the seeming reveal of Dr. Omen's identity means that the Justice League of China was actually meant to be a second front for the Freedom Fighters of China instead of just an intra-governmental rival team?

Still darkly amused at August General in Iron not wanting the CEO's permission to blow up the plane/kill his son, just his acquiescence... oh, and come #8: Grass Mud Horse :haw:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Cool, man. It's really, really fantastic being spoiled on the end of this event before it starts!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Cool, man. It's really, really fantastic being spoiled on the end of this event before it starts!

Who are you addressing?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Speculation does not equal spoilers.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Who are you addressing?

Solicits, I suppose. Can't blame DT when they're publicizing that cover.

e: Double shipping is ultimately to blame for such early solicits. Publicity spoiling stuff early isn't a new thing, but it was never like it is now. Damned if you do, etc.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 15, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Solicits, I suppose. Can't blame DT when they're publicizing that cover.

Sure you can.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
In DC TPB news, apparently they're now recollecting the Stephanie Brown Batgirl series. The description for the first volume says it collects issues 1-13, which means, assuming it's accurate, that it includes issue 8, which wasn't part of the original trade releases because it was part of a Red Robin story arc and was collected in a Red Robin trade.

Also, Wasteland, the horror comic, a second Justice League Elseworlds collection (sadly with Act of God), and a collection of all three Batman vs Predator series.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Just realized nobody posted a link to the solicits for March, so here they are: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/12/14/frankensteining-dc-comics-march-2017-solicits-as-aqualad-joins-teen-titans/
http://comicvine.gamespot.com/articles/green-arrow-cyborg-and-wonder-woman-march-2017-sol/1100-156266/

I'll spoiler tag some noteworthy stuff for anybody who doesn't want to know just yet

Deathstroke: Looks like the Power Girl from the last Teen Titans series is coming back, good to see that those characters aren't going to be wasted and somebody with talent will hopefully make them worthwhile
Teen Titans: Yep, Aqualad is going to be joining the Teen Titans
Super Sons: Looks like the whole "Lex Luthor is an anti-hero now" thing is coming to a close pretty soon, to the surprise of nobody
Adam Strange/Future Quest Annual: Everybody gets their wish: "And in the backup feature starring Top Cat, breaking out of prison is challenging enough for an anthropomorphic cat, but what happens when it means stumbling through a cosmic portal to planet Earth, right into the hands of Batman?"
Green Arrow: Ollie and Roy reuinion
Cyborg:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think I need to start reading Cyborg.

At least as soon as the big wall-eyed pimp antagonists is introduced.

e: Good on Priest using that new Power Girl. Nobody else is gonna.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 15, 2016

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

“LORD OF THE RATS” part one! Cyborg’s gone to ground following the crippling malfunction of his tech at the hands of the corrupted S.T.A.R. Labs. Desperate to find his prey, the techno-villain posing as Vic Stone’s father conspires with the Lord of Rats, a Detroit crime lord who agrees to hunt down Cyborg in exchange for OTAC transforming his rodent drug distribution force into a cybernetic rat army.

With an arc like this, I can't say that I blame you

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I can't believe Cyborg is fighting Uncle Ruckus.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Roth posted:

in exchange for OTAC transforming his rodent drug distribution force into a cybernetic rat army.

I can't believe this is something someone thought was a good idea

And then a completely separate individual presumably with a brain thought it was good and signed off on it

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

I can't believe this is something someone thought was a good idea

And then a completely separate individual presumably with a brain thought it was good and signed off on it

Let's not assume.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They had to have the public tell them that She-Borg was a loving awful name for Cyborg's new ladyfriend. They literally published art with that name printed on it.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

WickedHate posted:

I can't believe Cyborg is fighting Uncle Ruckus.

Bwahahahahahahaha this comment is the best!!

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Personally I like the idea of both Supermen being around, even if I was never a big fan of the new52 one. It shows DC is actually willing to integrate their multiverse concepts into main books, instead of just having it pop up every few years for an event that is probably written by Grant Morrison.

That said I think new52 Superman will probably just be Clark Kent and we'll have family man Superman be the main guy.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Goddamn you DC. Goddamn you.

https://twitter.com/RenaeDeLiz/status/809561409013088257

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

That's one of the things they were supposed to be spending all the Rebirth money on

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Huh. It only had one issue out? What the gently caress?

Edit: Oh wait, that's the trade.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Renae is posting a lot of the art she was working on for the new volume on her Twitter feed now if anyone's interested in knowing the plan for the story. She also just found out she's pregnant and the loss of this job is gonna sting bad apparently :(

https://twitter.com/RenaeDeLiz

She was also told that sales weren't the reason it was cancelled. And they expect the hardcover to do good numbers. I wonder what happened.

X-O fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 16, 2016

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I'm choosing to decide that it was a clause in Frank Cho's contract when he signed on to write Wonder Woman.

That and cancel Supergirl.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Blaming Frank Cho sounds good to me.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Reset the counter!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

X-O posted:

Renae is posting a lot of the art she was working on for the new volume on her Twitter feed now if anyone's interested in knowing the plan for the story. She also just found out she's pregnant and the loss of this job is gonna sting bad apparently :(

https://twitter.com/RenaeDeLiz

She was also told that sales weren't the reason it was cancelled. And they expect the hardcover to do good numbers. I wonder what happened.

If I've learned anything from watching DC Comics gently caress up, it's that Marvel is always there to hire the talented, popular creators they drive away. Hopefully she'll get a nice gig, maybe Storm? Would be appropriate.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
This...

This is some bullshit of the stankest variety.

I can't imagine the amount of raw unrefined idiocy it would take to cancel this series, and yet here we are.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Yeah I saw this earlier and it's still total horseshit. I don't care that Wonder Woman had like three origin stories in a year, Renae's was easily among the best.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Speaking of DC to Marvel, or the other way, I noticed James Asmus' name in the Holiday Special.
He was under Charles Soule's wing, writing the Inhumans spin-off book last year, which was cancelled abruptly 11 issues in. I really liked that comic, maybe more than Soule's, so I'd be really interested in seeing him on something.

edit: Ooh. This Superman crossover has vertically linking Pat Gleason covers :)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Dec 16, 2016

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Teenage Fansub posted:

Speaking of DC to Marvel, or the other way, I noticed James Asmus' name in the Holiday Special.
He was under Charles Soule's wing, writing the Inhumans spin-off book last year, which was cancelled abruptly 11 issues in. I really liked that comic, maybe more than Soule's, so I'd be really interested in seeing him on something.

Quantum and woody is what you want to read

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I'm choosing to decide that it was a clause in Frank Cho's contract when he signed on to write Wonder Woman.

That and cancel Supergirl.
The worst part is imagining him being signed because of his big complaint about Rucka. :ughh:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

princess_bride_boooo.gif

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

This is some bullshit that's such a good book

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm guessing it has less to do with sales, and more to do with mandated congruity with the upcoming film.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Yeah, apparently it was petty internal politics due to DC announcing a book suspiciously similar to a pitch De Liz had been pushing for years written by some dude. And her and her husband going 'what the hell, guys'.

Meanwhile, serial sexual harrasser Eddie Bergenza is still employed by DC.

If there's any justice Marvel will drive up in a dump truck full of money and let De Liz write whatever she wants.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I hope they consider pitching something to Image. It isn't Big Two levels of cash, not unless your book sells exceptionally well, but I'm sure they would get a lot of eyes looking their way.