Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

How about the part where he actually said "usually this is lethal, but I've adjusted it so it should just hurt a lot." That pretty much answers why Stein survived it. Did nobody else get that line in their version of the episode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bruceski posted:

How about the part where he actually said "usually this is lethal, but I've adjusted it so it should just hurt a lot." That pretty much answers why Stein survived it. Did nobody else get that line in their version of the episode?

BUT MY HEAD CANON MAKES MORE SENSE

Writh
Dec 31, 2008

Big D's chillin' over here, wasteland style

Bruceski posted:

The confusion wasn't why Stein survived. I clearly heard him say he modified it my confusion was more so why Wells died if he made the thing non-lethal. Though the argument that he knew he was going to be replacing Wells for the long haul so he set it to kill makes sense. Occam's Razor, amiright.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

This version of Thawne killed Barry's mom and didn't lose his speed in the process. I don't think he's ever going to steal Harrison Wells's face.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

howe_sam posted:

This version of Thawne killed Barry's mom and didn't lose his speed in the process. I don't think he's ever going to steal Harrison Wells's face.

Eddie's still dead though.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Eddie's still dead though.

Well he shouldn't have leapt out that window.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Donnerberg posted:

It's plot convenience, but I can explain it away if you like.

Thawne only nibbled on Stein because he wanted a shoddy shapeshift he could shake off to restore his real face. The Wells shapeshift had to stick for the rest of his life, so he sucked OG Wells dry for a full effect.

I figured this is what it was, he didn't want to be Stein forever and just needed some fast access.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Bozart posted:

My theory is that he is now dr stein's great x10 grandson by way of stein's new daughter, which is why he didn't kill him.

I'm guessing that he's Vixen's decedent somehow. Seeing as he didn't kill her.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

howe_sam posted:

Wait, didn't he lose his speed? Presumably the whole thing went as it did before Flashpoint, just delayed by a few secondsseconds. Originally Thawne killed Barry's mom, sped away, and then lost his speed. The addition is Barry grabbed Thawne, took him to the future, and then brought him back a few seconds after. So shouldn't he have sped away after killing Barry's mom and then lost his speed just like before?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Presumably Barry loving around with time and alternate realities broke that part and now Thawne is free to do whatever he wants. Or alternatively, this Thawne that we're seeing is actually from a period after he met Barry in the future and before he went back to kill Barry's mom.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Wait, didn't he lose his speed? Presumably the whole thing went as it did before Flashpoint, just delayed by a few secondsseconds. Originally Thawne killed Barry's mom, sped away, and then lost his speed. The addition is Barry grabbed Thawne, took him to the future, and then brought him back a few seconds after. So shouldn't he have sped away after killing Barry's mom and then lost his speed just like before?

muscles like this! posted:

Presumably Barry loving around with time and alternate realities broke that part and now Thawne is free to do whatever he wants. Or alternatively, this Thawne that we're seeing is actually from a period after he met Barry in the future and before he went back to kill Barry's mom.

http://i.imgur.com/F7bttaW.mp4

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, there's a bunch of possible hand waves like "he didn't use it at full power because he only needed to be Stein for a little while", "he made adjustments to the tech", or "Well's injuries from the car crash made it harsher."

Also there's the fact that A) he's from the future, B) he's an actual professor so he probably knows the tech, C) he's already mentioned many times over that he's super duper smart and there's been no evidence to the contrary as he's constantly putting Barry on the back foot and D) seriously he's from the loving future.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
Came here for a gif of Steel's subtle Brad Pitt impression, disappointed that nobody even seemed to notice it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The best part about that gif is that it's the John Wesley Shipp version of the Flash in it. And it works so well for modern Flash too because Jay seems like he would be the one person who would just straight up say "It's the Speedforce, Barry. I ain't gotta explain poo poo" if he could get away with it.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Oh my god, this EW story on episode 209. Rip prevents George Lucas from ever happening, Ray and Nate got stupid as a result. It's like they took that thread mad libs joke seriously.

quote:

We were watching a cut of it, and I said to Greg (Berlanti) that 209 is either going to be the episode where we'll say that the show found a new gear in terms of how zany it can be, or it's the episode that’s going to get us all fired,”

This stupid show man. :allears:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Aw that's a nice premise. George gets poo poo on (maybe deservedly) so much now he probably had an :unsmith: moment like "well, at least super heroes still like me." after OKing the whole thing.

Over/Under on one of the group accidentally inspiring Jar Jar Binks? Or Stein/Jefferson = C3P0/R2D2

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

howe_sam posted:

Oh my god, this EW story on episode 209. Rip prevents George Lucas from ever happening, Ray and Nate got stupid as a result. It's like they took that thread mad libs joke seriously.

Maybe it will also cause a young Mark Guggenheim's career to turn without the inspiration of Star Wars toward writing tabloid fiction and the entire series goes off air at the very end of the episode. :haw:

Yer Burnt
Feb 26, 2007

howe_sam posted:

This show needs to stay on long enough to get to the episode where a time and inter-dimentional aberration is caused by the huge success of the Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern movie.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Yer Burnt posted:

This show needs to stay on long enough to get to the episode where a time and inter-dimentional aberration is caused by the huge success of the Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern movie.

I didn't know I needed this so badly until now. Live-action meta-Elseworlds would own so hard.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Yer Burnt posted:

Please, let's at least stay within the realm of the remotely plausible.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Yer Burnt posted:

An episode where Superman Returns was a huge success that built out a franchise. The episode ends with Brandon Routh crying hysterically and punching Victor Garber, but none of that is in the script.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

We've caught up!

Episode 7 just completely lost us probably because it was a crossover that expected us to be watching the other DC shows and it was my favorite episode because of how it seemed to move way too fast and make little sense.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Why would you be watching this show if you weren't already watching the others? It's seriously the worst of the 4.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Only Supergirl beats it this season.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

Why would you be watching this show if you weren't already watching the others? It's seriously the worst of the 4.

We're watching it because it's the worst thing.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Rocksicles posted:

Only Supergirl beats it this season.

I will agree with this, because Supergirl is the best, and this one has learned to embrace the camp and just roll with goofy poo poo.

Supergirl > LoT > Arrow > Flash

...this year at least

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Like, I appreciate Legends way more now that it just knows what it is and rolls with it, but its still the like the last show I watch every week.

Moving it to mid week is going to really gently caress up my "watch all the CW shows in the order they aired just so I don't catch a commercial for the other" system.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Golden Goat posted:

We're watching it because it's the worst thing.

We're watching it because it knows how to be fun.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

It's a very fun show.

Like is sorta reminds me of farscape, like this is one big silly RPG campaign going on that somebody turned into a show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Renewed for another season before they even tried out the new timeslot.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I'm so happy that the CW loves this crazy, stupid, amazing show just as much as I do :allears:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
PSA: Legends of Tomorrow starts in its new timeslot tonight after The Flash!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

They posted a snippet of the episode on YouTube, people who didn't like Vandal Savage will enjoy it I think.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
We're back! Time for some stupid.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I'm so glad this show got renewed

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Dunking on Savage was pretty good.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Senerio posted:

Dunking on Savage was pretty good.

Elevator bit was great too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Dahrk and Merlyn are such great villains.

• Locked thread