Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Battle Royale Baby posted:

No civil war is going to happen. Some dems have already said they open on voting to repeal Obama care out of fear of losing their seats in 2018

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/democrats-open-to-replacing-obamacare-232589
o
m
f
g

it doesn't stop

i want to get off trump's wild ride

why can't I get off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

No civil war is going to happen. Some dems have already said they open on voting to repeal Obama care out of fear of losing their seats in 2018

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/democrats-open-to-replacing-obamacare-232589

It's nice that no matter how many things we disagree on, we can all agree that the Democrats are spineless, worthless wimps

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

democrats absolutely deserve the electoral pummeling they've been getting, it's just that republicans don't deserve to win

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

this is why...

this is why the left hates you.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

democrats absolutely deserve the electoral pummeling they've been getting, it's just that republicans don't deserve to win

Yeah I wish there was some way the Dems could have been humiliated just as badly without that having to be in the form of President Trump.

Serf
May 5, 2011

on the one hand, Obamacare sucks because it is a half-assed measure but has convinced people that is what government-mandated healthcare in American should look like. on the other hand there are tons of people who are still on it and need it to survive, so taking it away would literally be murder

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

we should pull a tea party and primary their asses

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i've come around to being happy that the dems did not win the presidency because holy gently caress they don't deserve it.

please sanders and ellison, lead us to a party that has any sort of backbone. this is loving pathetic.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

rudatron posted:

o
m
f
g

it doesn't stop

i want to get off trump's wild ride

why can't I get off

have tyou gone to your congressmans office

have u written letters

have u t
r
o
n
c

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Remarkably subdued for a Mr. Fish cartoon.

Good. That's something leftists can campaign on when we primary all their seats.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Death Panels are good. Race-based registration is bad. Hope this helps clear up any misconceptions.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

quote:

“If they want to change things around the edges, fix some of the things we agree ought to be fixed and call it Trumpcare, that’s OK,” said Sen. Angus King (I-Maine), who caucuses with the Democrats and is up for reelection in 2018. “Let’s get people covered.”

alright so this guy is an independent and I guess all of them can't be better than the Dems like Bernie...

quote:

Incoming Minority Leader Chuck Schumer essentially ruled out bipartisan cooperation on an Obamacare alternative, saying “we’re not going to do a replacement” if the law is repealed and squashing the idea of bipartisan cooperation on any half-measure. Other Democrats scoff at the idea of assisting what they call a Republican attempt to hold the health care of 22 million Americans hostage as they debate replacement plans.

hmm just sounds like something that the leadership will have to take care of. might help if we had a concentrated push for positive messaging on the issue.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
So is Bernie gonna officially join the Dems lol

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

i wasn't asking you

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

i was in fact asking every single person on the entire forums except powercrazy, specifically

Serf
May 5, 2011

lmao dems gonna cave on Obamacare and smile while they do it

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Yinlock posted:

i was in fact asking every single person on the entire forums except powercrazy, specifically

This is why you lose.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

GalacticAcid posted:

i think this thread would implode

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

This is why you lose.

don't butt into the conversation man, rude

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

At least someone has a spine:

“NARAL has a clear message for Democratic lawmakers: if you support Republicans in their effort to dismantle the Affordable Care Act, NARAL, our one million member activists, and our PAC will not support you in 2018 or beyond,” Hogue said in a statement.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

GalacticAcid posted:

he will in 2020 when he runs for president (and wins)

Serf
May 5, 2011

average americans like me "who the gently caress is naral"

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Markorjoshua posted:

Does venom snake have the inside scoop on obamas announcement tomorrow?

I don't get "inside" scoops on Obama things but I can predict that Obama will continue to lack a spine probably

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

GalacticAcid posted:

Only way to stave off the fierce Giordano challenge.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

At least someone has a spine:

“NARAL has a clear message for Democratic lawmakers: if you support Republicans in their effort to dismantle the Affordable Care Act, NARAL, our one million member activists, and our PAC will not support you in 2018 or beyond,” Hogue said in a statement.

The fact that they even considered it at all is enough to withdraw support.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

quote:

“If it makes sense, I think there’ll be a lot of Democrats who would be for it,” said Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.).

McCaskill is 100% behind Lindsey Graham drumming on this insane Russia stuff, but hey maybe we do let republicans destroy entitlements.

Like ACA is very bad- and it should be replaced with something that doesn't gently caress people making $35,000/year to kinda help people making $15,000/year- but holy moly Paul Ryan isn't going to get you there.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

I was watching a vice doc (I think called a House Divided?) the other night that really gave me some insight into the political mood while the Dems were trying to pass the ACA. I was in college at the time and didn't pay attention to politics outside of election times. people really hated the idea of government in their healthcare. advocating for full UHC now is definitely needed, I also think we need some pushback for the government's ability to be a positive force in people's lives.

the road there is through more local involvement and making people feel like they actually have some control over their government, so exactly what this thread normally talks about. but it helped put the issue back into perspective for me.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

forget "having a spine" its incredibly bad politics to work with republicans on destroying democratic legislation

do they think republicans are going to craft bills that are going to be loved by the country at large or help people in the next 2 years? what is the upside on working with republicans? do they think theres been some massive population shift and nobody will ever vote for a democrat again since trump was elected?

i cant even call this cowardice, cowardice is at least politically expedient

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
garth panels

schwing~~~~~~~``

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

quote:

"Anything’s possible. We've got to get to a spot here in Washington, D.C., where we respond to peoples’ concerns," she said. "There are things that we could do that will improve access to health care and hopefully lower cost."

Manchin was more open, saying he opposes repeal but is "going to try to help and be productive" on a replacement.

you are the opposition, youre not supposed to help be productive

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Like ACA is very bad- and it should be replaced with something that doesn't gently caress people making $35,000/year to kinda help people making $15,000/year- but holy moly Paul Ryan isn't going to get you there.

yep.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The Resistance has been dealt a major blow

https://twitter.com/kurteichenwald/status/809616876011749376

Serf
May 5, 2011

Stexils posted:

theres been some massive population shift and nobody will ever vote for a democrat again since trump was elected?

*shakes 2016 ball*

signs point to yes!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Stexils posted:

i mean you're supposed to as part of the government, but not when that productivity is "actively destroy the country"

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I remember in the early days of obama and people said he was saving all his political capital for something big!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Uncle Wemus posted:

I remember in the early days of obama and people said he was saving all his political capital for something big!

it turns out that he spent all of it on getting republicans to pretend to compromise, for 5 seconds

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Uncle Wemus posted:

https://twitter.com/Rhizzone_Txt/status/808764177799991297

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
maybe it's the fever and crushing sense of despair but I don't have very much hope that someone will save us

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Stexils posted:

"controlled opposition" was a common narrative among alt-righters to justify their hatred of conservacucks, but it's not all wrong. US politics don't follow parliamentary norms of coalition and opposition, because the primary interest is to be part of The Party of Government. Party obligations are secondary to maintaining positions of power on committees and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Venom Snake posted:

maybe it's the fever and crushing sense of despair but I don't have very much hope that someone will save us

oh whatup sick bro. I had a fever for a couple of days where I didn't read C-SPAM and it made me feel better in some ways. but here I am again so jokes on me.

• Locked thread