Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

fizzymercy posted:

I keep getting yelled at for loving the poo poo out of Christmas and gently caress everyone for it.

Christmas is bright, cheerful, fun, exciting, surprising, delicious and cool.

It's more than that. It's accommodating, basic, calm, darling, embematic, frisky, grinning, human, innocent, jumping, kept, limited, meek, nap-loving, official, pretty, quarantined, recent, scheduled, tidy, understandable, victorious, wholesome, xylophone, young and zippered!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

It's more than that. It's accommodating, basic, calm, darling, embematic, frisky, grinning, human, innocent, jumping, kept, limited, meek, nap-loving, official, pretty, quarantined, recent, scheduled, tidy, understandable, victorious, wholesome, xylophone, young and zippered!

Christmas is NOT basic and embematic isn't a word, you take that back!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

fizzymercy posted:

Christmas is NOT basic and embematic isn't a word, you take that back!

It was a misspelling of Emblematic and I was doing the Lemony Snicket Snow Scouts Alphabet Pledge :colbert:

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Well since I've no idea what that is, I salute you.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Can't we just let this be about losing my best friend of 17+ years?

I'm so sorry about your cat.

In some ways, I think losing a pet is made harder because of the way we value pets (correctly) lower than the loss of a human loved one. There's always that nagging sense (even if no one says so) that this isn't really important, that you shouldn't be as upset as you are, and that just spirals around to make you feel worse.

(That sentiment is bullshit, of course. Each loss is unique and each one hurts and there's no reason to rank them, just do what you've gotta do to grieve and get through it.)

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

fizzymercy posted:

I keep getting yelled at for loving the poo poo out of Christmas and gently caress everyone for it.

Christmas is bright, cheerful, fun, exciting, surprising, delicious and cool. All you assholes that want to hate it? gently caress YOU. Even the music is upbeat, happy poo poo. Ok fine, it repeats too much and you're tired of the same 25 songs. I can understand that, but gently caress you if you hate a whole delightful holiday because you heard I'll Be Home for Christmas one to many times, you Grinch heart having piece of poo poo. Lights! Trees! Polar Bears! SANTA! You're mad at fun you degenerate jerkwads.

Hell yeah. I feel bad for people who can't take pleasure in the joy of the holiday season, which is the one happy time of winter before it becomes a gray, cold, snowy, mushy season with no colorful lights or happy music to cut through the depressing poo poo.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

docbeard posted:

In some ways, I think losing a pet is made harder because of the way we value pets (correctly) lower than the loss of a human loved one. There's always that nagging sense (even if no one says so) that this isn't really important, that you shouldn't be as upset as you are, and that just spirals around to make you feel worse.

Somewhat related to this, but it always bothers me when people feel the need to question why I don't seem to react much to sad things. Our 12 year old dog had put be euthanized a couple weeks ago (his hip finally reached the point where he couldn't stand up anymore), and my dad was like "aren't you sad" because it wasn't bothering me much. Maybe I am weird for not feeling much (from my perspective he had been old and in bad health for a while, so it was probably for the best), but it's not like I have any control over it and I'm certainly not going to spontaneously discover my hidden sadness because someone else mentions something.

In general my dad has a big problem with projecting his own feelings onto other people and expecting them to want the same things and react the same way to things that he does. He's pretty much the perfect example of why "doing what you think is morally good" is not the same thing as "empathy." He always starts ranting at my mom and I about how we're broken because we don't like physical displays of affection like hugging as much as he does, and it's a huge pain in the rear end. It's like he's an emotional black hole that is only willing to demand that others fulfill his needs instead of actually practicing any introspection.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

:neckbeard:

people have their reasons for disliking christmas and they're valid, but I try to enjoy it. especially this year, since I'm sure after inauguration day I'm going to want to die again

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

It was a misspelling of Emblematic and I was doing the Lemony Snicket Snow Scouts Alphabet Pledge :colbert:

I didn't realise this was a sad occasion.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still
It's been full dark for about an hour now, AND it's pouring rain outside, but on my short drive home from work I saw 4 cars driving around without their headlights on. I flashed my lights at one, with no result. How the gently caress do you not realize you can't see poo poo? This was on the freeway too, so it's not like they just got on the road.

Then, while I was trying to turn left from the suicide lane into my apartment complex, and it took a good 10 minutes of waiting before the assholes in the other lanes left a gap for me to get through. Never mind the fact that they were in bumper to bumper traffic at a dead stop, and all I needed was for two people to either move up a little, or hang back for 2 seconds instead of practically humping the car in front of them... but apparently that was too much to ask. What is the point of this? It's not like I was going to somehow get in their way and hold them up! I wasn't trying to pull a u-turn and cut in their precious line! I just wanted to loving get home.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

docbeard posted:

I'm so sorry about your cat.

(That sentiment is bullshit, of course. Each loss is unique and each one hurts and there's no reason to rank them, just do what you've gotta do to grieve and get through it.)

Two of our adult cats died this year. One was a surprise, one had cancer and was losing weight fast, and there was little we could do for her that would make her quality of life better. But my sand boa that I'd had for 10 years (and she was an adult when I got her) died a few weeks after a surprise clutch of babies, and I was devastated. The cats I barely shed a tear over, but the loving snake, loving Nod had me shut down for a few days, and I didn't even tell my mom she had died for almost a week.

A coworker of mine died last month, but I barely knew her, and everyone at work is going to the funeral, and I am the only one (well me and maybe three other people) who isn't going. I barely knew her. It still feels weird to say I won't be going though.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Two of our adult cats died this year. One was a surprise, one had cancer and was losing weight fast, and there was little we could do for her that would make her quality of life better. But my sand boa that I'd had for 10 years (and she was an adult when I got her) died a few weeks after a surprise clutch of babies, and I was devastated. The cats I barely shed a tear over, but the loving snake, loving Nod had me shut down for a few days, and I didn't even tell my mom she had died for almost a week.

A coworker of mine died last month, but I barely knew her, and everyone at work is going to the funeral, and I am the only one (well me and maybe three other people) who isn't going. I barely knew her. It still feels weird to say I won't be going though.

People suck at death, to be honest. Mostly because death sucks. And the "everyone's going to the funeral, come on" phenomenon is a feel-good way of showing support while patting oneself on the back. Like, yeah, it sucks to be the a-hole not going, look at the turnout, everyone must have really loved her...but in a way isn't it a little disrespectful to randomly show up to the funeral of someone you barely knew? Someone posted a few pages back about all the dumb poo poo they heard at a funeral recently, and it's just because people suck at death. But we all think we're helping.

In my case, I'm just lucky that most people are understanding. I get a lot of "wow, 17 years, that's a good life," and "at least she's not suffering anymore." Meaningless platitudes, but they are true and they do help. She was old and had spent most of her life healthy, didn't die tragically, and knew only one owner from four months on. This guy on facebook (and an ill-timed joke from a Bumble match) were really the only two bad experiences I've had.

I'm sorry about your cats and boa. :(

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I have no problem with Christmas but Christmas carols can gently caress right off. I don't need to hear them in every shop, taxi, restaurant, and office I walk into from December 1st onwards.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The thing I've come to understand (probably the only thing) about death and dealing with it over the years is that every death is different, every person is different, and you're just going to feel the way you feel and there's no one right way.

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-
Can we get back to basics and reiterate People who zealously stick to the speed limit while driving

gently caress those people. If you're reading this and you do that, gently caress. YOU. You're literally the worst person on the road and I hope you're absolutely crippled for life in a wreck caused by some horny speeding teenager rear-ending your stupid, smug loving rear end.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

dumb. posted:

Can we get back to basics and reiterate People who zealously stick to the speed limit while driving

gently caress those people. If you're reading this and you do that, gently caress. YOU. You're literally the worst person on the road and I hope you're absolutely crippled for life in a wreck caused by some horny speeding teenager rear-ending your stupid, smug loving rear end.

I also wish horrible bodily injury to normal people who aren't doing anything wrong

What the gently caress is wrong with you

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I am tired of people I know taking life too seriously.
Every time I talk to someone, they immediately jump into how things are so stressful for them, how crappy their day was, etc.
God drat it, take a hit or drink a beer or something. Calm down, this is the only life you have. Enjoy it.
I have a genetic heart disorder, pretty much guaranteeing that I'll have a heart attack by the time I'm 40, yet most of these people are going to give themselves one before me.
I want to tell them to go out for a walk in the snow. Talk to a homeless man. Close their eyes and listen to some music. I want to, but from past experience I know that they will just say how they have no time to do that poo poo, while continuing to slowly kill themselves.
It just makes me sad.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

dumb. posted:

Can there be a worse post? Only time will tell.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

dumb. posted:

Obeying the law is neither smug nor stupid. Enjoy your fines and points on your license.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
Calling something a 'prequel' when it's the originating work. Like, A New Hope is not the 'prequel' of Empire Strikes Back because it was not made afterwards, it is the predecessor, this is not a difficult concept to grasp.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you

He is what he is. And I mean that.

I do get annoyed at people who cruise at or below the limit when they're in the passing lane though. Better to go with the speed of traffic even if it's above the limit (and if it's so far above the limit that you think it's reckless, get out of the loving left lane and let the insane people rocket past you so you no longer pose a danger to each other).

I think the real problem is we don't have enormous fines for just hanging out in the passing lane in the States.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

dordreff posted:

Calling something a 'prequel' when it's the originating work. Like, A New Hope is not the 'prequel' of Empire Strikes Back because it was not made afterwards, it is the predecessor, this is not a difficult concept to grasp.

We have seen the same image macro and I found that a little annoying too.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Nettles Coterie posted:

Then, while I was trying to turn left from the suicide lane into my apartment complex, and it took a good 10 minutes of waiting before the assholes in the other lanes left a gap for me to get through. Never mind the fact that they were in bumper to bumper traffic at a dead stop.

Sounds like you're crossing two lanes? If, and only if, traffic is at a dead stop as you say then I will leave room for you to get in. But if it's just a momentary pause at a stop light or something then there is no way I'm leaving a gap. Reason being, I have no control if the dude in the next lane over is going to do the same and depending on which lane I'm in, he might not be able to see you or you might not be able to see him and it's just an accident waiting to happen.

I've had people sit there waiting for me to turn in front of them while I watch a motorcycle banging gears in the next lane over coming on full speed and this guy in the near lane is just waving and yelling at me to loving go, like I'm the rear end in a top hat. Dude, there are 5 cars lined up behind you, moving traffic in the lane next to you, and absolutely nobody coming for up unless you wait so long that new traffic arrives from the previous light. Aggressively polite drivers are the goddamn worst.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

dumb. posted:

As the inverse, tailgaters. gently caress you, I'm going the speed limit and I'm not going faster just for your special rear end. If you're in that much of a hurry, leave 5 minutes earlier. Back off.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

yo rear end is grass posted:

they will just say how they have no time to do that poo poo

This is a peeve of mine. People who always say that they don't have time to do something. It is sometimes a valid excuse, but the folk I usually hear say it are usually full of poo poo.

I guess I share in the sad sentiment of the quoted post in that people often don't seem to understand what they themselves actually find important their lives. This post has kind of veered off of pet peeve territory, but just verbalizing the annoyance got me to understand it better.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I look at the Amazon Deals page once a day and I keep seeing more and more "certified refurbished" products on sale. Refurbished can mean nearly anything and there's no one definition of it. It could be practically new or it could jizz on it. Stop selling refurbished/used poo poo on Amazon. Also get rid of the drat resellers. I want Amazon stuff to come from Amazon.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

FELD1 posted:

This is a peeve of mine. People who always say that they don't have time to do something. It is sometimes a valid excuse, but the folk I usually hear say it are usually full of poo poo.

I guess I share in the sad sentiment of the quoted post in that people often don't seem to understand what they themselves actually find important their lives. This post has kind of veered off of pet peeve territory, but just verbalizing the annoyance got me to understand it better.

I hear it the most from the types that stay up playing video games until 4-6am every day and wake up well into the afternoon. Of course you don't have time to do poo poo, you sleep most of the day away. The more people say they don't have time for some normal task like cleaning up or whatever it is, the more immature you sound. Even if it's hard, if you need/want to do something you make the time to do it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I hear it the most from the types that stay up playing video games until 4-6am every day and wake up well into the afternoon. Of course you don't have time to do poo poo, you sleep most of the day away. The more people say they don't have time for some normal task like cleaning up or whatever it is, the more immature you sound. Even if it's hard, if you need/want to do something you make the time to do it.

you're not my mom :qq:

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Speed limit: there's a big street in my big city where there are no pedestrians and the stop lights are magically aligned and the cops don't care so everyone goes 50 even though the speed limit is 30. There's a certain joy in going above a stupid useless speed limit. (Other than the occasional 2 guys pacing each other in both lanes at 25. gently caress those guys)

Sometimes speed limits are arbitrary and make no sense. Like we've said before, if you're slow, AT LEAST get the gently caress out of the left lane so I can pass you.

Maybe a peeve (?) speed traps: a road in the suburbs (it's always the suburbs cause the cops have nothing better to do) and I was apparently going 30 in a 25 and they gave me a $120 ticket :wtc:

Before anyone yells at me, other than that big aforementioned street and the highway I don't go more than 5 over the speed limit so don't complain at my post.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Mu Zeta posted:

I look at the Amazon Deals page once a day and I keep seeing more and more "certified refurbished" products on sale. Refurbished can mean nearly anything and there's no one definition of it. It could be practically new or it could jizz on it. Stop selling refurbished/used poo poo on Amazon. Also get rid of the drat resellers. I want Amazon stuff to come from Amazon.

I hate that they've started putting "Sponsored" items in my search results. I was browsing this thing I collect (not anime) and this completely unrelated thing showed up

So on a page of hundreds of this collectible there's this random poo. Yeah.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Obeying the law is neither smug nor stupid. Enjoy your fines and points on your license.

:ironicat:

I honestly love this post. In one sentence you say obeying the law isn't smug. In the next sentence, you very smugly say, "Enjoy your fines and points on your license :smuggo:"

If you're going the speed limit, that's fine and dandy, but stay in the right lane so the entirety of America who drives ten miles over the posted speed limit quite literally everywhere can pass you and the gray hairs in their Grand Marquis' who can't even see over the steering wheel and probably shouldn't even be on the road to begin with.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy
The lady who sits beside me at work loudly crunches on super loud food items like carrots and melba toast with her mouth wide open all. Day. Long. I don't have misophonia (yet), but it's wearing me down.

The two ladies who sit across from me piss me off also because they literally just chat their faces off constantly. One of them is hard of hearing, so the other one compensates by speaking super loudly and repeating questions over and over again until she hears her. She'll sit there being like "Jessica? Jessica? Jessica? Jessica? Jessica?" for whole minutes. Jessica can't loving hear you, you stupid bitch!! I am trying to do math like 1 foot away from you, kindly gently caress off.

Thank god I am allowed to wear headphones at work, otherwise I would probably have lost it by now. :smith:

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

People who are way too smart to get roped into MLMs but do anyway because their spouse does. I have a friend who makes more money than I can ever dream to make and let his wife get hooked on that leggings MLM. Now every post is shares of her posting "how are YOU roeing today? #butterysoft #lularoe #hashtag #more hashtags". You work in risk management, if I were your employer and I saw you shilling an obvious pyramid scheme like this I would fire you instantly.

A friend's wife got roped into some MLM weight loss powder called Plexus or Plexus Plus. Something like that. And he's just as rabid about it as his wife. They claim they've lost weight but if they have (I can't see a difference) it's because they're simply eating a bit healthier and not because of some scam powder.

My peeve is with people who, in 2016, still have trouble with credit card machines. And now with the chip reader it's worse. Even without the chip reader, I see people press the buttons too quickly and gently caress everything up and so have to swipe the card again. I get that some machines are different than others but most follow the same standard template.

They stand there when they are supposed to press the "Enter" button or whatever to confirm the price.
Can't figure out which is the No and which is the Yes button.
Swipe the card when it has a chip.
Swipe the card the wrong way. Repeatedly.

That and use checks. And they don't take the check book out until the cashier mentions the price. You knew you were paying with a check, get your poo poo together.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

bean_shadow posted:

A friend's wife got roped into some MLM weight loss powder called Plexus or Plexus Plus. Something like that. And he's just as rabid about it as his wife. They claim they've lost weight but if they have (I can't see a difference) it's because they're simply eating a bit healthier and not because of some scam powder.

If you look at the fine print for every one of those things, it always says people in a study lost something like 1.5-2 pounds a week using the product while also following a healthy diet and exercise regimen. Which is, you know, the healthy pace to lose weight just doing the last two things with no other supplements whatsoever.

And yeah, I had a friend who was so baffled by just simple debit card machines at the grocery store and had to hand his card to the cashier and be talked through it, every, single, time.

I never see it in the US, but since moving to germany it annoys me incredibly when the local bums come in and bring a bunch of beer to the register and just slam down a random assortment of change. They never have enough for what they bring up and are just waiting for someone behind them to offer to buy what they can't afford. Also they make the store smell like stale piss. If they were buying deodorant and/or you know, food, maybe I'd feel more charitable, but as it is they hold up the line longer than the old ladies that insist on counting out exact change.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
My biggest traffic peeve is, on streets where the center/suicide lane becomes a left turn lane those particular assholes who decide they just can't wait and cruise 50 yards down the suicide lane with a blinker on (because that makes it okay?), regardless of anyone else trying to use the lane.

They especially like doing this when both of the regular lanes are slowed down by traffic, and as soon as one does it everyone around them who needs to turn goes "Oh poo poo, the lane's filling up!" and follows suit, so if you have the misfortune of needing to turn left and being just far up enough that you don't realize what's going on until it's already happening, welp. So much for your turn.

I did see someone doing this get stopped by another person who was already in the lane waiting to turn into a driveway from the opposite direction, forced to just sit there facing the other car and fume as everyone else crept past him. It was nice.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Mu Zeta posted:

Literally every refurb I've gotten from Amazon has been poo poo and they will fight you to the death on the few refurb items they offer a return policy on.

"This laptop doesn't work."

"Okay sir I am glad to help you today with this concern about your laptop not working. Now I will help you with steps to try to determine the problem"

"No, really, it just doesn't work and I need to send it back. I plugged it in--and before you ask--I've already ruled out problems with the outlet."

"Okay sir so you plug in the computer to the wall and what happens?"

"Nothing."

"Okay sir so have you tried a different outlet?"

:shepicide:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The most annoying part is you can't be too mad because they will probably get fired if they deviate from the script. You can tell them you already tried powering it off and on again before they even say it but they still have to tell you to. I'm sure if they know anything about what they are trying to fix (which is only moderately likely) that what they are telling you to do is stupid basic stuff anyone but clueless old people would try before wasting an hour on hold to talk to you, but if you act like a human you might accidentally say something corporate doesn't approve of.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I have a whole litany of peeves about public transit/peoples' behavior on same, but my god is it great not to have to give a poo poo about what other drivers are doing ever.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

The most annoying part is you can't be too mad because they will probably get fired if they deviate from the script.

Yeah, having been on the other side of the phone, this is totally true. There are steps they have to follow, and if they don't, they get in trouble. I'm not peeved with them personally (I'm usually pretty friendly despite trying to find ways to speed up the script) but gently caress the people that designed it. It's as if they set out to deliberately make it as frustrating as possible. If a thing doesn't work, it doesn't work, but I guess like you said, not everyone is going to think to power cycle the device or try a new outlet. Sometimes, those things do actually work. But if someone says "look I tried other outlets, the power button doesn't do a thing, and nothing else I do makes this thing work" there should be a protocol that allows them to skip to the part that says "Here's your RMA number."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Thin Privilege posted:

Speed limit: there's a big street in my big city where there are no pedestrians and the stop lights are magically aligned and the cops don't care so everyone goes 50 even though the speed limit is 30. There's a certain joy in going above a stupid useless speed limit. (Other than the occasional 2 guys pacing each other in both lanes at 25. gently caress those guys)

Sometimes speed limits are arbitrary and make no sense. Like we've said before, if you're slow, AT LEAST get the gently caress out of the left lane so I can pass you.

Maybe a peeve (?) speed traps: a road in the suburbs (it's always the suburbs cause the cops have nothing better to do) and I was apparently going 30 in a 25 and they gave me a $120 ticket :wtc:

Before anyone yells at me, other than that big aforementioned street and the highway I don't go more than 5 over the speed limit so don't complain at my post.

Yeah, everywhere I've lived probably 95% of the people on the road (higher if you filter out seniors) will speed by at least 5-10 mph traffic/roads/weather permitting. Mention this on the internet though and you're immediately jumped on by 10 people who apparently never speed at all consider it a moral failing if you do.