Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
I've been moving poo poo from desk to desk all day... again, just when I thought I management's seating plan fetish was quenched last week.

17:00 rolls around so I figure I'll wind down back at my desk before kickout at 17:30, as I make my way back rumblings are starting to spread that the elevators aren't working.

17:15 rolls around and then some chucklefuck sets of the loving FIRE ALARM, so I quickly throw on as much bike gear as I can and grab my poo poo to shamble down 25 flights of motherfucking stairs.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

My kingdom for a budget, no more empty desks, and to replace old crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Super Slash posted:

I've been moving poo poo from desk to desk all day... again, just when I thought I management's seating plan fetish was quenched last week.

17:00 rolls around so I figure I'll wind down back at my desk before kickout at 17:30, as I make my way back rumblings are starting to spread that the elevators aren't working.

17:15 rolls around and then some chucklefuck sets of the loving FIRE ALARM, so I quickly throw on as much bike gear as I can and grab my poo poo to shamble down 25 flights of motherfucking stairs.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

My kingdom for a budget, no more empty desks, and to replace old crap.

I have a mental picture of you riding your bike down the stairs now.

Its pretty awesome.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Reenacting the cyberdyne building segment from Terminator 2 in reverse would've probably been awesome enough to make up for it.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

bitterandtwisted posted:

right clicking on the start button for all the admin tools

Doesn't work with classic shell so might as well not exist at all until they fix the abomination that is the start menu at present.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

who looks at the startmenu in windows8/server2012+?

right-click for admin tools or type into a search box for what you want, I never loving touch the "start" button anymore.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I think everyone is forgetting win-x for those of use who don't want to touch a mouse if we can help it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Win-d-x for when someone has a filthy monitor.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Wow, how did I not know about this until now?

Also, the GodMode folder trick still works on 10 too.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

It really is fun watching people reject the objectively better Win 10 just because the UI got changed and they have to learn something new.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's valid issues with W10 (phones home way too loving much and it loves to re-enable stuff you turned off) but as an OS it's the best they've put out yet.

Which is pretty much identical to my reviews of W7 when it was new and XP when it was new, so I guess that means Microsoft is always on an upward curve. :v:

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

RFC2324 posted:

It really is fun watching people reject the objectively better Win 10 just because the UI got changed and they have to learn something new.

What about the Ads, or the forced updates (their updates are notorious for causing massive issues), uninstalling crap they deem "incompatible", data mining etc.

Not everyone is some mindless sycophant like you.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

RFC2324 posted:

I've had more issues with a 10 Enterprise baremetal install on my work laptop than I have with a 7->10 upgrade. Right now it's locking the desktop after two minutes of activity and my admin account on it doesn't have a functional start menu. These are just kinda ~known issues~ for Windows 10, like the DHCP issue that just got fixed this week.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

theperminator posted:

What about the Ads, or the forced updates (their updates are notorious for causing massive issues), uninstalling crap they deem "incompatible", data mining etc.

Well, my Pihole install on one of my Linux machines handles the ads, and if people were better about updating, I suspect there would have been no need for the mandatory updates. At some point, Microsoft has to stop spending time and money support those people that can't run a current OS version. And what's this about autouninstalls? Never had that happen either.

Also, can we avoid the name calling? You sound like one of those Star Citizen Redditors.

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 16, 2016

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

It's funny because I'm a Linux guy

mewse
May 2, 2006

Samizdata posted:

Also, can we avoid the name calling? You sound like one of those Star Citizen Redditors.

You wish, failtard :trumppop:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

lolz at u scrubs running M$ windoze

hold on while I run make menuconfig and optimize my modules to save 5kb of ram while formatting my disks to use a filesystem developed by a convicted murderer.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

xzzy posted:

hold on while I run make menuconfig and optimize my modules to save 5kb of ram while formatting my disks to use a filesystem developed by a convicted murderer.

Pfft, cant be that good if he was convicted :smuggo:.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

xzzy posted:

Reiserfs is overrated anyway

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Such memories.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Blue Moonlight posted:

Such memories.

This will never stop being funny.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

79 year old owner of this company tries to do everything in Outlook so he won't have to learn any other programs.

"I'm trying to do something incredibly complex with Tasks and I email everything to myself again to 'remind myself' to do it."

I show him the functionality Outlook offers to categorize items. I also suggest a demo Trello really quick.

"I don't like your way of trying to do this complicated thing that this software wasn't designed to do. Baah baahhh"

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

So basically my habit of sticking with the last known non-lovely version of Windows at home (using 7 still) until i literally have no choice but to upgrade has proven wise once again, is my takeaway here

Or do like me, install windows 10 but then use GPO to force updates to not run ever.

I'll run updates a month after SP1 or whatever.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Woogles posted:

Officially lost my cool and shot out a message / rant to some project staff stating:

- Don't expect me to magically know poo poo, I'm a sysadmin first and a project engineer a veeery distant second, I don't attend your scrums etc.
- gently caress off, I'm not updating documentation for something I haven't even done yet because the client took weeks to do what should've taken half an hour and I was told NOT to modify the system in question

Also shot an email out to HR saying:

- WTF, you can't hire an IT junior despite me being on my own for a year but you can hire a totally unnecessary office admin?
- Get your poo poo in order and make some changes or I'll make some of my own

I expect fun times.

So, any updates on this?

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

theperminator posted:

Do you spell microsoft using a dollar sign for the s unironically?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Our VPN server tells the client to use a bad DNS server, which makes working from home a horrible nightmare. I've put in a ticket to change this, but I really should have just made the loving change myself, because
1) the reigning ideology for things like this is, it's been like this forever so why do we need to change it now, let's focus on more important things
2) it's been a week and no one's looked at the ticket

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Or do like me, install windows 10 but then use GPO to force updates to not run ever.

I'll run updates a month after SP1 or whatever.

No more service packs for client OSes. Also enjoy sitting on months old security issues that were patched out. Of course you can't target which patches to push out now because they are in November security roll up with everything else.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

anthonypants posted:

Our VPN server tells the client to use a bad DNS server, which makes working from home a horrible nightmare. I've put in a ticket to change this, but I really should have just made the loving change myself, because
1) the reigning ideology for things like this is, it's been like this forever so why do we need to change it now, let's focus on more important things
2) it's been a week and no one's looked at the ticket

How is everyone who works from home or remotely not demanding the network team's heads?

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

DigitalMocking posted:

Do you spell microsoft using a dollar sign for the s unironically?

Nah I run Windows 8.1 not Linux.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

theperminator posted:

Nah I run Windows 8.1 not Linux.

I was guessing OSX

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
We just started using the Windows 10 LTSB build at my office. It's Enterprise only, but seems to obviate a lot of our concerns with the regular Windows install.

Microsoft isn't really advertising it as an option, but it seems stable as gently caress on the handful of systems we're currently running it on.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

flosofl posted:

How is everyone who works from home or remotely not demanding the network team's heads?
They don't know any better, so they remote into a machine on the network and think that's the way it's supposed to be :shrug:

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

RFC2324 posted:

I was guessing OSX

Well yeah I have a macbook but my main pc & work machine are both windows.

Apple are fart huffers too, i.e "The battery life on our new laptops sucks rear end, better remove the time remaining counter from the OS!"

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

theperminator posted:

Well yeah I have a macbook but my main pc & work machine are both windows.

Apple are fart huffers too, i.e "The battery life on our new laptops sucks rear end, better remove the time remaining counter from the OS!"

coconutBattery.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

MiniFoo posted:

coconutBattery.

Yes, I'm not sure what that has to do with Apple removing a battery meter because they don't like people calling them out for lovely battery life?
They claim it was "innacurate", with all the talent they have they can't "fix" the estimate?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

theperminator posted:

Yes, I'm not sure what that has to do with Apple removing a battery meter because they don't like people calling them out for lovely battery life?
They claim it was "innacurate", with all the talent they have they can't "fix" the estimate?

It should not surprise you that a company that makes toys does not concern themselves with the problems faced by the working professional, like Microsoft and the other PC companies do.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

theperminator posted:

What the gently caress, rear end in a top hat. You got to bring that poo poo in here?

Thanks the inevitable derail, dick.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

So my new server came in near the end of day today, we went with factory install of server 2016 Datacenter because this thing is very unlikely to be replaced for 8 years and an open license would never be maintained. Dell shipped the Install Disk for Datacenter 2016 but it's apparently blank, they are sending a new one out. In the meantime I got an evaluation copy of 2016 installed it and ran

DISM /online /Set-Edition:ServerDatacenter /ProductKey:TMJ3Y-NTRTM-FJYXT-T22BY-CWG3J /AcceptEula

Which is using the key for VMs in the technet article, so I assume it's fine to post. I just want to sanity check, VMs I make in this way are fully licensed properly and against my Datacenter key right? I'd rather not spend the next week getting everything moved over to virtual to have to migrate to new VMs with proper licensing because of a gently caress up. I wont have the new DVD until 2017 and I'd really like to start moving stuff off, one of my DCs just had a drive fail this morning and really don't want to push my luck on the rest of the servers.

Windows is claiming it's active I just want a sanity check, I've never been the person in charge of getting the ISOs. I also really don't want to have to throw a DVD in the drive every time we need a new VM if I can help it. Yes I'm early adopting but the other option based on history (NT->2008->this, I feel leaving 2012R2 in 2025 would be a crime).

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Opened a ticket with AT&T on December 8. Still waiting for any sort of contact from them.

RaffyTaffy
Oct 15, 2008

Bigass Moth posted:

Opened a ticket with AT&T on December 8. Still waiting for any sort of contact from them.

lol

I have had a ticket open with them for 6 months now. The guy who was handing it on AT&T side was fired 2 weeks ago and I learned this after a rep came to my offer to try and sell us an upgrade on bandwidth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Volmarias posted:

This will never stop being funny.

Known for: ReiserFS, murder