Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Nah :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

I'm sure it has been posted here before, and I think I've referenced it also, but there was a video comparing Schumacher to his then-partner (Irvine I think?) showing their lap telemetry, and while the other guy was fairly smooth and steady on brakes and acceleration and steering input, Schumi's was constantly jiggling up and down... he was riding the ragged edge the whole time, making minute corrections to get every bit out of the car. His ruthlessness, as annoying as it was, is just part of what made him the most driven, competitive driver. Others were maybe more "naturally talented" or drove with more "style" or "grace", but as far as being a pure race winning machine, I think he's probably my top F1 driver. Senna might be my second pick, based on the biased documentary and information I've seen.

Found the video, it was Jonnie Herbert. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk2p2nRK-p4

i don't remember the Mika meltdown, what was it?

Best helmet.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CratSock posted:

I'm sure it has been posted here before, and I think I've referenced it also, but there was a video comparing Schumacher to his then-partner (Irvine I think?) showing their lap telemetry, and while the other guy was fairly smooth and steady on brakes and acceleration and steering input, Schumi's was constantly jiggling up and down... he was riding the ragged edge the whole time, making minute corrections to get every bit out of the car. His ruthlessness, as annoying as it was, is just part of what made him the most driven, competitive driver. Others were maybe more "naturally talented" or drove with more "style" or "grace", but as far as being a pure race winning machine, I think he's probably my top F1 driver. Senna might be my second pick, based on the biased documentary and information I've seen.

Found the video, it was Jonnie Herbert. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk2p2nRK-p4

i don't remember the Mika meltdown, what was it?

Best helmet.

My brother and I were part of the "Schumacher is overrated, just had a good car, Ferrari bent over backwards to help him, etc." crowd until we watched this video and realized we were loving idiots.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

It's very difficult to watch years like 96,97 and 98 and not see that the guy was just on a separate level to the rest of the field.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Mika's "meltdown" was unforced crashes out of the lead at Imola and Monza '99, but the big one that pisses me off is his performance at the Nurburgring, where he loses time in the first stage of the race because of bad pit strategy, cruises around out of the points for most of the race looking like he's given up, and then suddenly giving a poo poo and going faster when people start retiring and he realizes he can actually get points. Murray and Brundle poo poo all over him in the commentary box for that performance, and justifiably so.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

cruises around out of the points for most of the race looking like he's given up, and then suddenly giving a poo poo and going faster when people start retiring and he realizes he can actually get points.

I call this "Patresing".

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

I think the image he posted should be met with a perma ban

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Thanks Alain, I completely forgot about that. Those would have been my early F1 fandom years, so I wasn't jaded and hateful yet.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Would have been cooler with Airline Pilot Niki Lauda, the man brave enough to crash planes just to prove a point and race with his head on fire.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

As a man that might be buying a Corolla soon I have one major concern with Toyota. Why were they so committed to having Jarno??

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I dunno. This is the same company that also paid Ralf Schumacher 69 Million dollars to drive for them.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
At his risk of sounding like I'm defending Toyota F1 it's gotta be said they never built some absolute stinkers like the RA107 or RA108 but neither did they build any especially good ones (Aside from the 2009 Car, I Guess).

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

As a man that might be buying a Corolla soon I have one major concern with Toyota. Why were they so committed to having Jarno??

Weird, I didn't realize you were 50 years old.

Human Grand Prix posted:

At his risk of sounding like I'm defending Toyota F1 it's gotta be said they never built some absolute stinkers like the RA107 or RA108 but neither did they build any especially good ones (Aside from the 2009 Car, I Guess).

Honda hosed up the RA107 and RA108 because their wind tunnels were insanely hosed. Once Brawn fixed that they produced the "RA109," which was obviously good. Toyota was just low-key poo poo forever and never showed any signs of hope.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

Weird, I didn't realize you were 50 years old.

I've made alot of very stupid car purchasing decisions in the name of "being interesting" and it's become very obvious that using a 33 year old car that was sold to a junkyard to be crushed 7 or 8 years ago as a winter beater in Canada is not brilliant. I'm going to take the "boring" route for once.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Ciaron Pilbeam has left McLaren to return to Renault. I swear, that guy hops around teams more than anyone else in the sport.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I didn't like Schumacher because he was a unbearably smug twat, like Lewis but if Lewis had a number 2 driver forced to move out of the way for him and then refused to acknowledge that you can't claim you are the best driver if you never actually had to fight the guy in a car slightly worse then yours because you have all the newest and best bits on yours. Also that whole era was like someone telling you the ended of a book you were looking forward to before you had even started it.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Human Grand Prix posted:

From 1995 to 2000 there really wasn't anybody who could touch Michael on skill alone. The guy who should have been his main rival died.

Please don't spread fake news in this thread: Damon Hill did NOT die

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

poty posted:

Please don't spread fake news in this thread: Damon Hill did NOT die

You are the best poster.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

learnincurve posted:

a number 2 driver forced to move out of the way for him and then refused to acknowledge that

hm

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Lewis going sledding with Roscoe and Coco is the best thing ever.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

gret posted:

Lewis going sledding with Roscoe and Coco is the best thing ever.

Oh did he hit a tree?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

Oh did he hit a tree?

Nah, ran over Nando.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Saved to trigger the thread on a whim, thanks.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Khablam posted:

Saved to trigger the thread on a whim, thanks.

No problem! Glad to be of assistance.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZUfwjHMNrw

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
This triggered me, cannot be unseen :(

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
:stwoon:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

RE: Toyota: They went through the motions of being a top-tier F1 team without putting in any of the effort

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kilonum posted:

RE: Toyota: They went through the motions of being a top-tier F1 team without putting in any of the effort

So... Modern McLaren?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Mercedes seems to be hounding Williams non-stop for Bottas.

Press saying that Williams has opened the door for him to leave... but all the team has said is that they'd let him leave, sure, but only if a CREDIBLE and JUST AS GOOD IF NOT BETTER option was there to replace him. Not going to happen. No loving way will Williams go into next season with that prick 18-year old Lance Stroll in the other car *spits* and then put themselves in a mess of who to replace Bottas with.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I think it's great because the first thing toto said was "anyone but bottas"

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

There's talk that Massa might come back to Williams to do a development year. That'd be hilarious after his tearful retirement in Brazil.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Maldonado in talks with several teams for 2017 F1 seat.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/news/a31926/pastor-maldonado-f1-2017/

He is the hero we deserve.

:stwoon:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Massa didn't actually want to retire though, his sponsor got caught up in a massive political scandal and pulled out of all sponsorship deals. Which is the big issue here, it's if the new driver can bring as much sponsorship as Bottas, and if his money has been paid to Williams yet. Is Whirrrline worth paying Williams the difference to Toto? Williams won't give a monkeys about ability so long as they get paid.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Wirth1000 posted:

Mercedes seems to be hounding Williams non-stop for Bottas.

Press saying that Williams has opened the door for him to leave... but all the team has said is that they'd let him leave, sure, but only if a CREDIBLE and JUST AS GOOD IF NOT BETTER option was there to replace him.

Bollocks - Frank's just hanging on for more money - ALCOR isn't cheap.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

learnincurve posted:

Massa didn't actually want to retire though, his sponsor got caught up in a massive political scandal and pulled out of all sponsorship deals.

Huh. Didn't know that.

quote:

Which is the big issue here, it's if the new driver can bring as much sponsorship as Bottas, and if his money has been paid to Williams yet. Is Whirrrline worth paying Williams the difference to Toto? Williams won't give a monkeys about ability so long as they get paid.

No but they absolutely care about having a guy who is a known quantity who can help develop the car. If Merc pays enough for Bottas for Massa to make sense, then he'd be back quicksmart, especially if the only reason he decided to leave was because of money behind the scenes, rather than him actually being done with F1.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Pussy.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/dec/15/lewis-hamilton-f1-mercedes-valtteri-bottas-fernando-alonso-williams

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Carth Dookie posted:

No but they absolutely care about having a guy who is a known quantity who can help develop the car. If Merc pays enough for Bottas for Massa to make sense, then he'd be back quicksmart, especially if the only reason he decided to leave was because of money behind the scenes, rather than him actually being done with F1.

I reckon Di Resta would be a more likely arse in a vacated Williams seat than Massa. He's still within the Mercedes stable.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

When's the last time Di Resta actually drove an F1 car?

Also he was poo poo and whiny even when he was in F1 proper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Carth Dookie posted:

When's the last time Di Resta actually drove an F1 car?

Also he was poo poo and whiny even when he was in F1 proper.

Wasn't he a test driver for Williams this year?

• Locked thread