Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I have a quick question. I have a PS4 and I am getting a PS4 Pro tomorrow. I was initially planning on selling the old one, but I think I will move it upstairs and have it as a secondary option next to my PC. With 2 PS4s, if one of them is activated as my primary and one is always signed into my PSN id, can I play Destiny with someone else using both PS4s with my single digital copy of the game and just PS Plus on the main system? Or will it require a second PS Plus subscription?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I'm a couple days into FFXV, and I found myself wondering why, despite all the jank, I was actually having a pretty good time. And then it hit me.

The sidequest system. The focus on a car as a means of transportation, but also allowing for fast travel. The rotating circular minimap with fixed main map. The loot having effects to make it stand out at a distance. The day/night cycle. The lovingly detailed food. The conversations that pop up as you're driving along. The hiding mechanics. QTE dodging. The overall plot being whatever but getting carried surprisingly well by the characters bouncing off of each other. Money not just dropping from enemies. The main character being a fan of fishing, with a bunch of different spots to fish and bait you need to buy because you lose it when the line breaks. The way the characters gesture. The bikini-clad gas station attendant who also washes your car.

This is not a Final Fantasy game.

It's Deadly Premonition 2.

F F ... In the coffee!

I knew I could count on it. It never fails

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah the FF15 thread came to that conclusion a coupe of weeks ago.
Combat is much better than DP though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wish I could have stuck it out through Deadly Premonition so I could get all of the references, but I just could not do it anymore after a few hours.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

there's a p good lp of that game in the lp archive if you don't mind watching those

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Given the choice, which would you choose between a 2tb hard drive with regular 5400rpm (same speed as the PS4's inbuilt one) or a slightly faster 1tb hard drive with 7200rpm? Ordinarily the 2tb would be a no brainer but Hitman and FFXV have made me more conscious of load times than ever before.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I went for capacity over RPMs when I upgraded to a Pro. Those seconds you save here and there when loading Hitman levels won't add up to the disappointment of not being able to follow when the party switches to Rocket League because you deleted it to free up a few gigs.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

I wish I could have stuck it out through Deadly Premonition so I could get all of the references, but I just could not do it anymore after a few hours.

Same, my friends loved watching me play it but it was just so unfun to actually play.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Same, my friends loved watching me play it but it was just so unfun to actually play.

Works the same for FFXV, although watching it is quite boring.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I'm unsure about Uncharted 4 Survival. Me and two randoms breezed through the first 14 rounds yesterday and kept failing the 15th which was some stupid treasure hunt round. The area of the map that has all the collectables seems to get swarmed with hunters and snipers and as soon as one of your party goes down it's a nightmare to revive them and get going again.

Eventually we just got fed up and gave in. It's probably better to just blow through the mode on easy first for some quick levels so you can make a decent loadout.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

I'm a couple days into FFXV, and I found myself wondering why, despite all the jank, I was actually having a pretty good time. And then it hit me.

The sidequest system.

:barf:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Rastor posted:

The Nacon Revolution is absolutely insane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JInHRFYorw

I think it being only $100 is optimistic

Swore I saw $200 somewhere

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Swore I saw $200 somewhere

I know that razer one thats out over here now is RRP at £50 more than the Nacon

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

DrNutt posted:

I have a quick question. I have a PS4 and I am getting a PS4 Pro tomorrow. I was initially planning on selling the old one, but I think I will move it upstairs and have it as a secondary option next to my PC. With 2 PS4s, if one of them is activated as my primary and one is always signed into my PSN id, can I play Destiny with someone else using both PS4s with my single digital copy of the game and just PS Plus on the main system? Or will it require a second PS Plus subscription?

That's correct, you can. Only needs one + sub, too.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Hey friends. Is there a guide or checklist on the steps you take before selling/trading in a PS4? I'm formatting a WD passport to fat32 so I can back up the 500GB drive. Do I need to deauthorize it or something? I want to trade it in towards a Pro this weekend.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

goferchan posted:

That's correct, you can. Only needs one + sub, too.

Awesome. Except now my pro is stuck in Portland due to the couple inches of snow that have the area on lockdown. Dammit Portland get your poo poo together.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Housh posted:

Hey friends. Is there a guide or checklist on the steps you take before selling/trading in a PS4? I'm formatting a WD passport to fat32 so I can back up the 500GB drive. Do I need to deauthorize it or something? I want to trade it in towards a Pro this weekend.

Backup, Deauthorize, and initialize to factory defaults. Yes, default to factory settings does NOT deauthorize your PS4 and will be a massive pain in the rear end in the long run if you don't do it first. Trust me on this one.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

:laffo: Kojima fultoned the former Konami Europe President and installed him in the KojiPro base. loving surreal. :laffo:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

:laffo: Kojima fultoned the former Konami Europe President and installed him in the KojiPro base. loving surreal. :laffo:

Thank you Boss!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Watch dogs 2 seems good but it is so loving topical and teen-edgy it's kind of off putting at times. I feel like I play games to escape a lot of this poo poo.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
I want to get the Battlefront season pass. Has it ever gone on sale? Its $30 right now and while that isn't too bad I'll wait if you guys think it might pop up in the holiday sale at all?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Thank you Boss!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Shep posted:

I want to get the Battlefront season pass. Has it ever gone on sale? Its $30 right now and while that isn't too bad I'll wait if you guys think it might pop up in the holiday sale at all?
$30 is the sale, it used to be $50. You can find the Ultimate Edition for sub-$30 sometimes and just use the season pass code from that, I believe Best Buy has it for 20 something with GCU right now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Watch dogs 2 seems good but it is so loving topical and teen-edgy it's kind of off putting at times. I feel like I play games to escape a lot of this poo poo.

The missions about election hacking were a bit too timely for me to go anything but "... eh" and feel depressed to be honest.

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.

veni veni veni posted:

This is pretty accurate though for me it was more cathartic so I wasn't as put off by it. Sorry I didn't warn you about that last night. Some missions are a teeny bit less on the nose but that's mostly the side missions. I really enjoyed the tumblr-approved cast of dedsec with the exception of one thing that happens mid-game and that wasn't the fault of the character.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The direction they took with it is far better and just flat out more entertaining than the first one, and the protagonist is much more immediately likable, but I would have much rather seen them go further into a blade runner-esque dystopian theme that the first one kind of wanted to be but never committed to. Instead, they went balls deep into "lol memes, anonymous is so cool, check out all these slightly modified current events and pop culture references trololol"

The core of the game seems fun and I'm actually really looking forward to playing through the whole thing, but thematically it is definetly not my jam.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

wait what? I want to see this

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
gently caress me. I've said it before, but Path of Destinies is dark with some of its stories.

Haha, look at the funny fox guys, look at his wisecracks and the silly narrator! Now watch him slowly succumb to radiation poisoning and slowly break down in tears across the course of a level as he loses the will to live, expiring in front of his friends and true love. :buddy:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

El Hefe posted:

wait what? I want to see this

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/287855/Former_Konami_Europe_president_is_heading_up_Kojima_Productions.php

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Oh ok, I thought it was going to be some secret theater video lol.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

akibas beat is out in japan is it good or what

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

The real world is Kojima's oyster, his tittygrabbing-ghostarmrocketpunching-cardboardboxshitting-childsoldierchoking-urinesoakedotakumotherfucking ARG.

We just live in it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Super No Vacancy posted:

akibas beat is out in japan is it good or what
Amazon.jp user reviews (sadly the best place in Japan to go for game reviews that I know of) say it's worse than its predecessor for losing the bizarre clothes mechanics and going to a more normal action RPG system.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SamuraiPaul posted:

This is pretty accurate though for me it was more cathartic so I wasn't as put off by it. Sorry I didn't warn you about that last night. Some missions are a teeny bit less on the nose but that's mostly the side missions. I really enjoyed the tumblr-approved cast of dedsec with the exception of one thing that happens mid-game and that wasn't the fault of the character.

Would that be Horatio getting murdered? Because that was telegraphed pretty hard since the game started, considering he's barely used as a character at all compared to Josh, Wrench and Sitara. It was still pretty lovely, because he seemed like an okay dude and just existed to get shivved by Tezcas :ohdear:.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Would that be Horatio getting murdered? Because that was telegraphed pretty hard since the game started, considering he's barely used as a character at all compared to Josh, Wrench and Sitara. It was still pretty lovely, because he seemed like an okay dude and just existed to get shivved by Tezcas :ohdear:.

Yeah, it was almost immediately apparent that Horatio wasn't making it through the entire game because he was A) just a dude, and B) was barely involved in any of the side-quests (which IIRC a lot of them could be done at any time in the plot?). Like after the third fun time meme-quest with Wrench, Josh, and Sitara with Horatio absent I was like "This dude's gonna die isn't he?" and they try to swerve you with that whole Google quest line he has. It kind of pissed me off because I liked Horatio's Google plot and it was fun using Marcus' hacker powers to essentially play out Office Space.

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, it was almost immediately apparent that Horatio wasn't making it through the entire game because he was A) just a dude, and B) was barely involved in any of the side-quests (which IIRC a lot of them could be done at any time in the plot?). Like after the third fun time meme-quest with Wrench, Josh, and Sitara with Horatio absent I was like "This dude's gonna die isn't he?" and they try to swerve you with that whole Google quest line he has. It kind of pissed me off because I liked Horatio's Google plot and it was fun using Marcus' hacker powers to essentially play out Office Space.

I did not like that the writers decided someone needed to die other than wrench. The only thing it did was justify my abuse of calling in police and other gangs to come in and shoot each other up.

At certain parts of the game I felt like I was getting Saints Row 2 vibes but without the poop truck.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
So I'm having a bit of a decompression session after finishing Uncharted 4. I played all the previous ones as part of the collection that came out end of last year and was kind of puzzled by the rave reviews everyone had given it, thinking that maybe the time from those games releases and the time at which I played it meant I wasn't maybe grasping fully the quality and step forward those games presented when they were released. Given my lukewarm feelings on those I decided to wait until UC4 was on sale to play it. Just finishing it and I'm still frustrated by how much leeway people give this game when it doubles down on bullshit that other games get dragged over the coals for.

To prevent spiralling into a total whinge, I'll gladly admit it does do a lot right. It is technically marvellous, the vistas are gorgeous, and the characters all look fantastic. The attention to small details like the rendering of the clothes being affected by dirt, water and wind was as good as the little animations, like moving through crowds, touching door jambs while passing through, or Nate wiping the sweat off his face and gave it all a grounded, real feeling. The acting and character dynamics, along with character building, was top notch, that should be lauded. Finally, dumping the stupid supernatural gambit or narrative twist was a relief as they've always been the weakest part of the previous games but the narrative here is still weak and the character twist was transparent from about an hour in.

Ok, now the other stuff. The gameplay is based around a few distinct 'pillars', the climbing/traversal stuff (the driving aside), the puzzles and the combat. Only one of these I found enjoyable, one boring, the other mediocre.

The puzzles added great flavour to the narrative, weren't really hard, but were a good change of pace from the other stuff, but I really enjoyed when they combined the puzzles into the traversal.

The climbing is one button, point and click, only a few times did it switch it up a bit to be interesting, but dovetailed it all together at the end pretty well apart from that slide jumping thing, that was awful. But it starts minimally and adds, sliding, the rope and the piton, which is not really an elaborate set of mechanics, over a looooong stretch, and I felt didn't really combine them into any kind of challenge. Tomb Raider felt better here (haven't played the new one) and even Prince of Persia (2008) was far more engaging, I wish it started at a higher level and did more with what it gave you, honestly this should be better by now and every other platform you step on breaking was tedious 1/3 of the way in. And they did another one of those atrocious 'running at the camera' parts.

The gunplay is the thing I like the least about these games and this was no better. Uninspired encounters, no variety, boring weapons, uninteresting arenas, 2nd rate stealth mechanics. I played on hard and by the end was hating it because it was like playing a game from last decade. Your character controls like a boat, enemies throw grenades every 2 seconds and the difficulty simply comes from them being bullet sponges, this is like the worst of the Division's combat turned up to 11. For all the poo poo MGSV gets, the stealth mechanics in that game are 1st class. Obviously asking for Solid Drake is a bit of a stretch, but the stealth fundamentals in UC4 are just off. I couldn't lure people out of their patrol routes, even by deliberately exposing myself to a guard and turning their 'threat' on, they'd be rooted to the spot and look around for 5 seconds before taking on the same patrol route or worse, be transfixed in play. Even throwing a grenade from the bushes led to some stupid reactions that felt off. The mediocrity of the gunplay has me not even wanting to go near multiplayer, and looking at how much effort is given to the microtransaction store I don't even know if I should bother.

The driving felt good, but across all these distinct elements was the least developed out and felt more like a chance to let the game flex its technical muscles more than anything.

e: Oh and that final boss fight was loving insultingly bad. Here's a glorified quick time event (which the game already has way too many of) that is less fun than the already mediocre combat we've been not building on all game. Blergh.

All up that this game is in anyones GOTY is baffling as to me it's simply amazing dressing on a mediocre action game.

Paracausal fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 17, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its ok to not like a game

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
unless its Bloodborne from what I've read in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

unless its Bloodborne from what I've read in this thread
I hope it's ok to say Bloodborne has awful performance because holy hell it has awful performance.

• Locked thread