Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantom Limb
Jun 30, 2005

blargh

victrix posted:

Something that bothered me a bit, and I can't tell if I'm being an oversensitive ninny or not the blind pseudo-jedi wise man is the asian guy? really? In spite of that I liked him and his bro.

His bro Baze is also Asian, he's played by Jiang Wen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The supporting characters were all pretty great but the main leads were fairly bland. I liked the Spaniard but I sort of wish he had more actual scenes fleshing out his character. We get a lot of focus on Gin's whole thing with her dad but there's no actual conflict there. It didn't seem clear what emotion she was directing his way, when he's first brought up she acts like she's mad at him for abandoning her or something, which doesn't make sense. Later she basically refuses to seek revenge for him for no particular reason, and appears to demonstrate more animosity to the very people he sympathized.

Meanwhile, Mandalorian bad-rear end going all Zen with a Laser Shotgun over the death of his friend, whom he has for some unknown period of years basically been acting as a seeing eye dog for, managed to tug the heart strings. I thought it was sweet and sad and heroic. The characters worked well, mostly because the two actors seemed to have genuine chemistry and Donnie Yen is just instantly likable. He's a non-Jedi Jedi which is a weird concept that works pretty well here, he feels as motley and mismatched as all the rest of the Rogues.

The more I think on it, the happier I am with the product, but I do feel like it should have given the characters more opportunities to bounce off each other. Everyone kind of gets tucked into their own clicks, and while the audience gets to visit with them all, there's not enough of them visiting with each other. It makes the title drop part feel a bit more flat. Just a few scenes of them chatting and walking around the ship, K2 and the Mandalorian having to fix a piece of the engine or the pilot and the blind monk having a heart-to-heart.

Also, that guy got over getting brain hosed really drat fast.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
There was an unattended box of posters as I left the screening, so I grabbed a handful of them.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm the X Wing dick.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
It would be a p. good poster if not for that loving GO ROGUE IN IMAX at the bottom

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
...Welp.

That's one way to make sure virtually no one in this film will show up in in episodes VIII or IV :buddy:

There were a lot of solid filmmaking and entertaining scenes in this film, but I had a rough time connecting to most of the characters. It's strange...as a collective entity comprising Rogue One they were interesting and nuanced and affecting, but as individual people they were kind of...fuzzy and underwhelming.

Rogue One sort of starts off as generically and routinely Star Wars as it can be, but the more it goes along the more it comes across as a different kind of animal. Maybe not an entirely different species...but definitely a different breed, and I'll give it props for that.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Unfortunately, 9 out of 10 IMAX AAA release movie posters have the IMAX branding on them somewhere. Some are just more subtle than others.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Milky Moor posted:

Similarly, I really liked how, at the end of that scene, you got some good shots of Death Star crew looking absolutely horrified and aghast at what they had just done.

And yet there are still a handful of them congratulating each other and patting each other on the back. It was a good mix

A Deacon
Nov 17, 2016

by exmarx
This movie was subpar. The pacing was incredibly off (and yes, it's very evident from the reshoots). But I guess thats expected from studio executives on remakes/franchise films at this point.

The good:

Vader. The whole scene where he was treating his bodily burns in the bacta was fantastic. It reminded me of the scene in Empire where we got a glimpse of him without his helmet on. They were both very effective ways of adding depth to a character in a minimalist way. He was menacing as gently caress towards Krennic, too.

Tarkin. I couldn't tell the difference between CGI Tarkin and the real one. I thought it was really well done.

The Droid that was helping the rebels. He was literally the only rebel character that had any sort of personality.

The bad:

The acting. Most of the characters didn't feel very emotive at all. It felt like they were just thrown into scenes without much rehearsals or direction.

The script. There were no memorable one liners or good exposition at all. Who the gently caress was Forest Whitaker playing, and what was the point of his character? Or the blind asian guy (yeah, the kung fu stereotype was both hilarious and dumb) who kept muttering repetitive sentence fragments about The Force? Or the guy that died with Jyn at the end? I can't remember any of their names because they really had nothing to do. Maybe the writers should refrain from trashing Trump until they can write a script more coherent than his ramblings, because gently caress.

Overall, the movie sucked, but I would definitely watch this over any of the prequel trilogy films.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Considering this year gave us BvS and Suicide Squad, I feel I can't really say that this movie was suffering much from reshoots.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

BigglesSWE posted:

Considering this year gave us BvS and Suicide Squad, I feel I can't really say that this movie was suffering much from reshoots.

Well, were the bad blue DC comics movies reshot more or was this piece of poo poo or what

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
So after the results of the Battle of Hoth on Rogue Squadron and what happens to every single alliance solider and pilot who went under the shield in Rogue 1, who wants to be a rebel who gets assigned to the squad with THAT name? Might as well call it a suicide squad.

Not to mention that even if they got their name on a monument somewhere, it was probably located on one of the planet's destroyed by StarKiller Base.

I expect Disney to make a prequel trilogy about Jyn Ores and how she ended up in that prison at the start of the movie. And that alien she was locked up with gets his own Novel.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story impressions, hot off the presses:

Star Wars is eight for eight. It's possible Rogue One is a mess in ways that haven't occurred to me yet, and it's possible that it's brilliant in ways that I didn't notice the first time. I'm content labeling it a thrilling thriller.

Rogue One makes a good case for why they're keeping the anthology movies separate from the main episodes. It's the first Star War that isn't trying to be like Star Wars - the director plays to his own strengths rather than trying to play to George Lucas'. It's not just the style that's different (though ironically Edwards' photographic sensibilities are a lot closer to Lucas' than Abrams' were), but the entire concept.

Like, sure, okay, there was no opening title crawl, the score was a cubist reconstruction of John Williams, the space object flyby from the beginning is actually stationary and it's the camera that's moving, the characters are transparent and unconnected, there was no lightsaber duel, etc. But what's really different is that this story doesn't seem to have much to say about society. It's "a statement, not a manifesto."

The Death Star of A New Hope is hegemony, control, terror; it is the visual symbol of everything Imperial in that universe and the real one. The Death Star of Rogue One, on the other hand, is nukes, and the Empire is cruel men who are polite and clean.

Which isn't a bad thing. I only mean that the film looks worse when you make direct comparisons to Lucas. This is why it's good that it's doing its own thing! You try to fit it into the round hole of a Star Wars Episode and you're going to end up with a badly damaged square peg. If you focus too much on, say, the abandonment of the symbolic connection between spheres and the power of violence (hell, the grenades were cylinders this time out, not spheres, even though grenades and Death Stars end up serving parallel narrative purposes of being explosions that you just can't loving do anything about (the last time a grenade showed up in Star Wars, it was also used for the same strategic purpose as a Death Star, but at that time it was a sphere)), you will overlook the sheer looming physical dread of the object, which was just extraordinary.

The most Lucasian part of the movie was the simultaneous A, B, and C plots of the climax - the infiltration of the data center, the land battle, and the space battle. It's not as tightly constructed as the masterfully paced equivalents from The Phantom Menace or even Return of the Jedi, but I doubt I'd have noticed if it weren't so similar to them.

It's the anti-prequel. It's a crowd-pleaser in a way no Star War has been since A New Hope. Pure movie magic, with cool heroes and vile villains and more derring-do than you can shake a stick at. You can see why George Lucas, once he was in the enviable position of making only movies he wanted to make instead of ones other people wanted made, didn't feel it necessary to tell the story of the Great Death Star Plans Heist, rad though it was. But, hell, I'm in a crowd, I like to be pleased.

Another prominent Lucasism was the use of cutting-edge special effects, not only employing them but using them specifically to do difficult things, often precisely because they are difficult. I wish to add my voice to the buzz around the maturation of the CGI facial simulation technology that they first started experimenting with in Tron: Legacy. Leia didn't need to show up at all, and Tarkin didn't need to have a big role, but they took that risk and it paid off big. Considering the cameos of members of Red and Gold Squadrons, I'm surprised they didn't have anybody from the Death Star boardroom show up.

If digital reconstruction-aided impressions of dead actors and much younger versions of live ones were to become a thing, I would not be in the least disappointed. It was a huge surprise to me that I liked Guy Henry playing Peter Cushing better than I liked James Earl Jones reprising his biggest role, and not because Jones didn't crush it like it was some idiot's trachea. Virtual cameos alongside the natural ones of Jimmy Smits and Anthony Daniels and the classic lookalike performances of your Genevieve O'Reillys and Ewan MacGregors. I confess to a slight disappointment that Ian McDiarmid didn't show up.

The biggest (by no means the only) thing Rogue One did better than The Force Awakens was the set design - amplified, fantastic environments, with an extreme vertical alignment. Getting that sort of thing requires a gregarious attitude to effects - using digital and practical together for the best outcome, not being preoccupied with the superiority of puppets or whatever. I rather think that the superabundance of planets was driven by a desire to include some more interesting geography and architecture than last year's astrobellum.

It left no loose ends, which is also different from Star Wars. They even came up with a diegetic reason why the rebellion was so dinky in A New Hope compared to its two successors: two-thirds of the Alliance had recently hosed off because they expected they were in checkmate, and it would obviously be a while before they hosed back on, and the remaining third got itself two-thirds destroyed in a desperate spontaneous clusterfuck of a Pyrrhic victory. I didn't expect it to take place literal hours before A New Hope, either.

In conclusion, the best part was that some guys in Saw Gerrera's hideout were playing the physical version of the holo-monster-chess game on the Millennium Falcon.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Well, were the bad blue DC comics movies reshot more or was this piece of poo poo or what

They were reshot and bad, this was reshot and good.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Watched it earlier tonight and I'd give it a 7/10 or something. Maybe I'm jaded.

The first fifteen minutes jumped around waaay too much between planets. I suppose you can do that, but don't be so blatant about it. More show, less tell. Rubber Peter Cushing was really really awkward too. I bet that they couldn't get anyone else who reasonably looked like him to play Grand Moff Tarkin, but the model was so uncanny valley that it was painful. His exaggerated movements felt very out of place and it was apparent that he was a CGI creature right off the bat. Leia didn't phase me as much since she was only visible for like 6 seconds with very little movement, but Tarkin was in lots of scenes.

Downer ending, or maybe bittersweet given the context. I feel like Jyn and Cassian had potential as on-going characters and it's a shame that literally everyone dies out at the end. Maybe it's necessary to force the idea of how important it is to stop the Death Star, but the silver lining feels very thin. It feels like a big missed opportunity. I do also agree that having Jyn's primary climax be the crane game with the secret documents was fairly underwhelming given how much competency she was shown to have in a fight. I appreciate that she was portrayed as a skilled orator, but I would have appreciated it more if she were given proper chance to act as well, given how her story begins. If she were given a better climax, I would be more satisfied with the movie as a whole.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Jerusalem posted:

I really wish Darth Vader didn't appear in the film till that awesome final sequence of hearing his breath in the darkness and then turning on his lightsaber and just tearing through the terrified Rebel Soldiers. I felt like the whole confrontation between him and Krennic didn't really accomplish much that the face-offs with Tarkin didn't already. If anything Krennic's failure to get around Tarkin to preferably the Emperor but AT LEAST Vader should have been the driving point of his frustration resulting in his going to Scariff to try and regain control of the situation - also I love Jame Earl Jones but the extended speeches by Vader made his voice sound increasingly off.

Other than that I thought it was a pretty solid and very enjoyable film, though I couldn't help but think how much more I might have enjoyed it as a 10-12 episode TV series via Netflix/Amazon etc. The pacing felt a little off and they rushed through a lot of stuff to get everybody into place for the big climax, and it leaned a little too heavily on nostalgic/references/cameos (ironically I felt that complaint was overblown in regards to The Force Awakens) with some of the CGI actors standing out pretty drastically alongside actual humans AND the various CGI aliens who actually felt more real than some of the CGI humans.

The ending of this movie would have been insane if it was done as a series with you really falling in love with the characters, but you just can't do the level of effects and huge setpieces they did in a series. It's fun to imagine though, if Disney/Lucasfilm just decided to throw maximum profit out the window and throw movie-level funding behind a series.

I felt the opposite about Vader, I really dug that you got to see the two best parts of the character in separate scenes. He owns an imperial officer and exerts his authority and he kicks literally more rear end than we've ever seen before thanks to modern special effects. It gives me high hopes for what we'll see out of force battles in episodes 8 and 9, and the way he fought really made him stand out when you hadn't seen any lightsabers or force fighting in the movie before then. I had no problem with James Earl Jones' voice either, and the speech didn't seem too long.

I felt that the Vader/Krennic scene was important because it really hammers home that Tarkin is playing chess to Krennic's checkers and they haven't really had an imperial officer in the middle ground between "choked failure/passive toady" and "majorly in charge Tarkin/Hux authority" so it was fun to watch a guy whose usefulness to the system was gone as soon as the Death Star was complete struggle against that system to try to get back into political power. I dunno, it's not like Krennic was an amazing character, but I think there's more to him than people give him credit for.

Overall every way they used Vader left you wanting more, and they really hit the right balance. I'm probably in the minority here, but Vader's such an iconic character that I wouldn't be surprised if we see a Vader stand-alone anthology movie at some point set in between Episode 3 and Rogue One/Episode 4. Granted the proper episodes are where you go for the story of the Skywalker family, but Rogue One did a lot to erase bad memories of the prequels for me (good CGI character instead of bad, interesting fanservice/tie-ins to the series, etc.) and I have to imagine they'll want to try to take another crack at the Anakin to Vader story at some point.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

BigglesSWE posted:

They were reshot and bad, this was reshot and good.

I'm sorry but reshots are the onside kick of movies; you do them cuz your in a hole but even if it works it's never quite a clean victory.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

NowonSA posted:

I felt that the Vader/Krennic scene was important because it really hammers home that Tarkin is playing chess to Krennic's checkers and they haven't really had an imperial officer in the middle ground between "choked failure/passive toady" and "majorly in charge Tarkin/Hux authority" so it was fun to watch a guy whose usefulness to the system was gone as soon as the Death Star was complete struggle against that system to try to get back into political power. I dunno, it's not like Krennic was an amazing character, but I think there's more to him than people give him credit for.

There's a similarity between him and Galen. Galen knows that once the weapon is built, he won't be necessary. I think Krennic is coming to understand that during the film, particularly as more adept politicians (Tarkin) move around him and he comes face to face with the utter monster that is representative of Vader's place in the Empire.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Solid 7.5 out of 10 for me. Super enjoyable, loved k2 but had a hard time feeling attached to the rest. The way it fits so snugly with the OT feels really good which is awesome. This movie also does a better job than all the others in making the empire and it's various tools of war feel fierce and scary. CGI characters really made it hard for me to enjoy those scenes though

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Was anyone else a bit disappointed by the fact that for all the marketing featuring them, the TIE Strikers were barely used?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I agree with the criticism that, for a movie named Rogue One, there was never really any cohesion in the team, especially after the team gets named. They all do their own thing in Scarif and the three distinct parts of the team (Jyn/Cassian/K-2, Imp defector and Chirrut/Baze) never really interact with each other meaningfully and then just do their own thing (which are only related into each other as part of the wider plot). It worked in ROTJ because you had two previous films to get invested in the characters and the new addition (Lando) is part of a team effort in Jabba's palace, so splitting them apart isn't so much of an issue, but it really didn't work for a film in which you aren't as invested in the characters and they didn't have a chance to interact with each other due to the pace of the movie.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Bongo Bill posted:

... I'm surprised they didn't have anybody from the Death Star boardroom show up.

it wouldn't be the same now they don't have those sideburns anymore :(

also vader hasn't played jedi knight - he could have done a lightsaber throw and got dat fukken disk right away

pnutz fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Dec 16, 2016

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!
Vader's planet is definitely mustafar. Considering Saw Gerrera walked right out of the clone wars cartoon they are tacitly making that and rebels canon, and he definitely lives in Mustafar there. The Ghost (or I guess the same kind of ship) was even part of the rebel fleet in the big space battle.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I think what made Vader so effective this time round is that it's the first time we really see him as the average Imperial or Rebel sees him.

He wasn't the main character in his scene with Krennic, Krennic was.

In Empire, we saw him get mad and choke some underlings, but he was always the focus of the scene and we were looking down on his underlings, this time round we were looking up

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Why did Darth Vader look so goofy? I checked ANH screenshots and he looked way better. Something was off with is mask/cape and he looked like a total doofus.

It's kinda lovely because he had a fantastic look at the very end of RoTS when he was standing with the emperor.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

UmOk posted:

Why did Darth Vader look so goofy? I checked ANH screenshots and he looked way better. Something was off with is mask/cape and he looked like a total doofus.

It's kinda lovely because he had a fantastic look at the very end of RoTS when he was standing with the emperor.

I felt this way too and I think it was because his neck was too big.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

UmOk posted:

I think RotS was a sort of 'best of' Vader suit, whereas with Rogue One they really wanted to make him look like he did in ANH. I'm sure there's a side by side comparison but his cape and helmet and shoulder stuff is completely different.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Milky Moor posted:

I think RotS was a sort of 'best of' Vader suit, whereas with Rogue One they really wanted to make him look like he did in ANH. I'm sure there's a side by side comparison but his cape and helmet and shoulder stuff is completely different.

Yeah, the build quality of the suit and helmet in ANH was kind of lovely, so Lucas took care to mask the flaws with clever tricks and camera angles. The ROTS version is a lot better because his philosophy is that you should do a better job whenever possible, rather than faithfully recreate errors from older projects.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

NowonSA posted:

I let my inner Star Wars and film nerd completely out of the cage here with my recent posts, this about sums it up.

I agree with this guy

Waking up and right away going back and thinking more about the movie is the surest sign that I loved it

Yay!

:toot:

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
What was the explanation behind needing Erso to "fix" the Death Star?

Was it limited to the superlaser or something more fundamental?

busfahrer
Feb 9, 2012

Ceterum censeo
Carthaginem
esse delendam
Why are we not talking about how ludicrous it is to expect someone you recruited at gunpoint NOT to put in a loophole into your shiny new Death Star? :psyduck:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Could they really have not found a comparable engineer in the galaxy? A good incentives package and work-life balance could have drawn the eggheads out of the woodwork.

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe
The research outpost where Galen was being held with his engineers, wasn't that location used previously in an episode of rebels? I seem to remember the rebels taking out some storm troopers out at the bottom and working their way up to the landing platform.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This was an excellent film let down only by the hamfisted fanservice pandering to star wars fans.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Regarding the Death Star/Erso timeline

Given that at the end of ROTS they showed the Death Star already under construction, I'm guessing Galen Erso was already working on it before the Empire came to power, probably as a weapon to fight the Separatists. Then the Republic becomes the Empire, and he gets misgivings, somewhere around the time of the flashback to the Ersos and Krennic on Coruscant. After that, he quits and hides from the Empire until Krennic tracks him down. There's what, 19 years between the rise of the Empire and ANH? That seems to square about right with Jyn's age/

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Vegetable posted:

Could they really have not found a comparable engineer in the galaxy? A good incentives package and work-life balance could have drawn the eggheads out of the woodwork.

Bevel Lemelisk never forget :'(

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I wonder why luke didn't blow up the AT-AT on Hoth with his X-wing. Seems way more effective.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

UmOk posted:

I wonder why luke didn't blow up the AT-AT on Hoth with his X-wing. Seems way more effective.

I think they weren't winterized yet, and they finally finished it just as they left.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Vegetable posted:

Its kinda like the Manhattan Project, there were a small group of guys in the world that could do what they were doing at that time, and every government wanted the knowledge they had. Sometimes science leaps forward so quickly that only a select few are in a position to work with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Serf posted:

Regarding the Death Star/Erso timeline

Given that at the end of ROTS they showed the Death Star already under construction, I'm guessing Galen Erso was already working on it before the Empire came to power, probably as a weapon to fight the Separatists.

According AOTC, the Death Star was designed by the Geonosians. Dooku took the plans for safekeeping and presumably handed them to Sideous. That's why we saw the Death Star's construction at the end of ROTS.

• Locked thread