Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Dengaroo at least has precedent in real life couples getting silly conjoined names. Even amongst friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

There's no standard. It's a very subjective thing that basically comes down to how much of a positive experience the shop is giving you, and how much you in turn feel like you should support them in the face of worse prices.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I do a mixture, but my FLGS makes an OBSCENE amount of money on Magic, so they're in no danger of collapsing.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Raged posted:

I have a kind of an off topic question about gaming shop etiquette.

When you play regularly at a shop(especially a non chain shop) do you buy all of your stuff from the shop even though they are 10-20% more expensive than an online shop?

Controversial topic, much like "how much should I tip at a restaurant?"

Gaming stores don't pay the rent by selling snacks or doing $5 X-Wing kit tournaments. They stay open because people buy stuff there. The store I play at is a top 1% worldwide Magic store, so that's what pays the bills there.

It's a great place to play, and they're opening a humungous 14,000 sq ft location to serve as their big event space. If they didn't sell through X-Wing product there, they wouldn't continue to host events and tournaments and whatever.

edit:
90% of my X Wing stuff was bought online with sizable discounts, and that's because I played dozens of games at home before I ever went to the local store and started playing in tournaments. Now that I'm going there more often, I'll spring the extra $3 per ship to buy them there.

canyoneer fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 16, 2016

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
When I choose to play at a FLGS I am providing content for everyone else that comes there to play that game, so I figure the price of that content is the utility bills that I accrue by showing up. If they want my business, then they should be competitive.

Otherwise, I buy everything online or from the FLGS in the next town over that sells everything for 10-20% MSRP and has run the same store for like 30 years.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Raged posted:

I have a kind of an off topic question about gaming shop etiquette.

When you play regularly at a shop(especially a non chain shop) do you buy all of your stuff from the shop even though they are 10-20% more expensive than an online shop?

Almost all of it i'll pick up at the stores I play at. Once or twice a year some online place will have a sale too good to pass up though and my wallet can only be so loyal

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

My FLGS does 20% off MSRP if you preorder stuff, and they have a nice rewards program. I'm sure I could save a couple bucks online but I buy all my X-wing and other board games from them because I like their store.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

kingcom posted:

when you visit WangWorld

*sweats nervously*

i'd like t... to visit WangWorld... :blush:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

:mad: :wtc: :mad: :redass:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Moola posted:

*sweats nervously*

i'd like t... to visit WangWorld... :blush:
All my x-wing battles take place over wangworld now.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Gumdrop Larry posted:

There's no standard. It's a very subjective thing that basically comes down to how much of a positive experience the shop is giving you, and how much you in turn feel like you should support them in the face of worse prices.

I agree entirely with this post.

I help manage a small-ish store that is arguably the best in the area because of the positive experience we provide for our customers, visitors, and players through service and actually managing to keep the store clean and attractive. We sell everything at MSRP, which is roughly a 100% mark-up from our cost. i.e. A $60 game costs us $30 and some change when shipping is factored in, your average wang costs us $7.50 to sell at the usual $15. We are not trying to compete with CSI or Miniature Market because it's pointless, and is a different market anyway.

If you like the store you visit and you think they work hard to make the place nice for you and others, support it. If you want the super low prices the high-volume discount retailers can provide, support them instead. Neither place is really losing out because neither of us is targeting the same audience. (That said, one single sale in a FLGS goes a much longer way than one at a discount retailer.)

Don't support lovely stores who won't put in the effort. It is really and truly not hard to keep a store looking organized and clean, it just takes a modicum of effort that someone has to be willing to put in.

tl;dr: Buy your wangs where you feel most comfortable buying them for whatever reason you deem important. We'll still be happy to see people come out to play games regardless of where they got their stuff because playing is what this hobby is all about.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I agree entirely with this post.

I help manage a small-ish store that is arguably the best in the area because of the positive experience we provide for our customers, visitors, and players through service and actually managing to keep the store clean and attractive. We sell everything at MSRP, which is roughly a 100% mark-up from our cost. i.e. A $60 game costs us $30 and some change when shipping is factored in, your average wang costs us $7.50 to sell at the usual $15. We are not trying to compete with CSI or Miniature Market because it's pointless, and is a different market anyway.

If you like the store you visit and you think they work hard to make the place nice for you and others, support it. If you want the super low prices the high-volume discount retailers can provide, support them instead. Neither place is really losing out because neither of us is targeting the same audience. (That said, one single sale in a FLGS goes a much longer way than one at a discount retailer.)

Don't support lovely stores who won't put in the effort. It is really and truly not hard to keep a store looking organized and clean, it just takes a modicum of effort that someone has to be willing to put in.

tl;dr: Buy your wangs where you feel most comfortable buying them for whatever reason you deem important. We'll still be happy to see people come out to play games regardless of where they got their stuff because playing is what this hobby is all about.

Thanks for the opinions guys and gals. The store I started playing at is a family run store and the owner is super friendly and the place is immaculate, plus they just expanded a bit and doubled their playing area. Just had a few people calling me crazy for dropping nearly $300 AUD ($220 USD) When I could have gotten everything on the net for $50-$70+ cheaper. Wasn't much of a question when I last played games in the early 90's.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Chemmy posted:

My FLGS does 20% off MSRP if you preorder stuff, and they have a nice rewards program. I'm sure I could save a couple bucks online but I buy all my X-wing and other board games from them because I like their store.

Yeah, I'm just on a list to have everything X-Wing preordered for me at 20% off and the convenience of getting the stuff on release day trumps the marginal savings I'd get online. I'll sometimes impulse buy stuff in the big clearance sales online, but I get one of every ship (plus impulse buys) at the local store.

Just got my Flappy TIE and Arwing today, I guess I'll maybe use inspiring recruits? I dunno.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Are new waves released on a regular schedule or is it just whenever they come up with new ideas?

Also whoever posted awhile back that I would end up wanting one of everything so right it hurts.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I will buy small ships at the place I play but anything bigger I typically get online, unless I need something that night.

My store is not managed well and has burned a lot of bridges. He only got four U-wings after begging the supervisor of his distributor, and four Strikers. I don't know how your supply went but this is typical for him.

Edit: Oh also the store is in debt something like $30k in magic cards due to a former employee opening a lot of packs on his account. And opening new accounts for people who didn't work there. Then quitting and never paying any if it.

Edit edit: Waves are about four months apart I think, with extra releases sprinkled in.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 16, 2016

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I was gonna go buy 4 U-wings because that's a list that interested me. Imagine 4 B-wings with FCS except you take up 4x as much space on the board.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

U-Wing: Blue Squadron Pathfinder (23)
Electronic Baffle (1)
Intelligence Agent (1)
Pivot wing (0)

Electronic Baffle (1)
Intelligence Agent (1)
Pivot wing (0)

Electronic Baffle (1)
Intelligence Agent (1)
Pivot wing (0)

Electronic Baffle (1)
Intelligence Agent (1)
Pivot wing (0)

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Admiral Joeslop posted:

He only got four U-wings after begging the supervisor of his distributor, and four Strikers. I don't know how your supply went but this is typical for him.

I looked at our order today and we were only able to order 4 U-Wings and 6 TIE Strikers. We ended up not getting any in because the guy who does our ordering missed the cutoff, unfortunately, but it's been a crazy holiday season anyway and the X-Wing scene isn't huge around these parts.

Not sure how large your store is, but that distribution sounds about right, given the problems FFG was having getting product out this quarter.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Electronic Baffle (1)
Intelligence Agent (1)
Pivot wing (0)

Electronic Baffle (1)
Intelligence Agent (1)
Pivot wing (0)

Electronic Baffle (1)
Intelligence Agent (1)
Pivot wing (0)

Electronic Baffle (1)
Intelligence Agent (1)
Pivot wing (0)

Why would you take that over fcs?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I think my shop got 4 U-Wings in and only one is left. I'm still pleasantly surprised that a country town in Australia has a shop with multiples of everything in stock.

E: Any good apps out there for the game? Would not mind a card list or some ini could just scroll through since I don't know them all.

Raged fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 16, 2016

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Don't know about apps, but this is the best squadron builder, in my opinion: https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/

Works well on mobile and desktop. If you log in with an account (I made a dummy Facebook account for it) you can store your collection to make building with what you physically have much easier.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Panzeh posted:

Why would you take that over fcs?

For fun :colbert:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Electronic Baffle (1)
Intelligence Agent (1)
Pivot wing (0)

Electronic Baffle (1)
Intelligence Agent (1)
Pivot wing (0)

Electronic Baffle (1)
Intelligence Agent (1)
Pivot wing (0)

Electronic Baffle (1)
Intelligence Agent (1)
Pivot wing (0)

Okay this is amazing. :allears:

I don't want to buy four U-Wings. :sigh:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Illegal content

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

With the way Asmodee controls pricing now, are we unlikely to see any deep discounts on Wave 9+ stuff the way we did with earlier things like TIE Defenders for $7.50 or whatever?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

flightless greeb posted:

With the way Asmodee controls pricing now, are we unlikely to see any deep discounts on Wave 9+ stuff the way we did with earlier things like TIE Defenders for $7.50 or whatever?

Basically the 35% off everyday online prices from 2015 are now the "on sale" prices.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Raged posted:

E: Any good apps out there for the game? Would not mind a card list or some ini could just scroll through since I don't know them all.

I use X-Wing Squadron Builder by Extrebit for my go to squadron builder.

I also like X-Wing Companion by Guido Kessels for an up to date resource app.

Both on Google Play. I don't know if they're on Apple, unfortunately.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Raged posted:

I use Aurora on iOS.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

TheCenturion posted:

I use Aurora on iOS.

I use this one too.

Playing some wangs today at our FLGS before heading off to Rogue One :getin:

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm completely spoiled on the FLGS/Online Discount Retailer split. There's a Cool Stuff on my way home from work. It's pretty great. There's technically another place closer to my home, but their schedule isn't great, and more of an aspiration than a promise, anyway.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

My local store does 30% off of everything, but this also means they never have any product in stock, especially FFG stuff. I've been trying to get some Arkham and X-Wing stuff for weeks now with no luck.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

After seeing Rogue One, I really want a K2-SO crew card. He continues the trend of the best character being the droid.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

After seeing Rogue One, I really want a K2-SO crew card. He continues the trend of the best character being the droid.

He should've been a pilot! :argh:

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

ConfusedUs posted:

yes

Admiral Joeslop posted:

He should've been a pilot! :argh:

yeeeeeeesssssss

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

I also had a huge nerdon for the Blue Squadron x-wings complete with accurate coloring.

Here's hoping they release some kind of new T-65 pack with Blue Leader and other pilots with some T-65 fixes and updated Blue Squadron coloring

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I am disappointed that even with the supposed grittiness of this film (haven't seen it yet), we will likely never get a Generation War or Jarhead film with stormtroopers. Or Das Boot with imperial navy. We're getting the young Lando movie but these off-year movies would be a great way to explore more interesting territory. At least give us Rashomon and 7 samurai to add to the hidden fortress.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

ConfusedUs posted:

Gotta be better than Leebo. Chopper's cool though.

I noticed some new ships in the film, and I wonder if they'll make it into X-Wing
I think I saw a bigger and bulkier version of the TIE Striker, with a squared fuselage instead of the cylindrical one?
There was Krennick's shuttle too, but I can't imagine there's a need for it on the Imperials' roster with 2 other shuttles plus the TIE bomber shuttle? I said the same thing about the Upsilon shuttle though so :shrug:
Likewise for the humungous 4 winged Imperial shuttle that Bodhi Rook was flying. Thing must be made of paper though, because a single infantry grenade split it in half

Some people on Reddit were complaining about the scale of the U-Wing model, but in the film when it's parked next to X-Wings it appears to be about the right size.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Chill la Chill posted:

I am disappointed that even with the supposed grittiness of this film (haven't seen it yet), we will likely never get a Generation War or Jarhead film with stormtroopers. Or Das Boot with imperial navy. We're getting the young Lando movie but these off-year movies would be a great way to explore more interesting territory. At least give us Rashomon and 7 samurai to add to the hidden fortress.

As successful as Rogue One is, they're gonna milk Star Wars side story movies for all they're worth. Wouldn't be surprised if they do exactly this kind of movie because it almost writes itself. Throw in some Bothan spy deaths and you got yourself a Rogue Two.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Chill la Chill posted:

Dude, it's Disney

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

In seeing the movie on Sunday. Do I have to vacate the thread until then?

• Locked thread