Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Digirat posted:

The correct non-expansion armor fashion rating is clearly bear > wolf > cat.

Gryphon can rank anywhere depending on your opinion of fat geralt.

Gryphon gives Geralt dad-bod so it's thouroughly appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Digirat posted:

The correct non-expansion armor fashion rating is clearly bear > wolf > cat.

Gryphon can rank anywhere depending on your opinion of fat geralt.

you got bear and wolf mixed up

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
The acorns are people! Sequence breaking is the correct choice.

Also Griffon's the best looking once you get dyes.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Dec 15, 2016

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Install AMM mod and then play dress-up with Geralt.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

What difficulty are you playing on? If it's not one of the harder ones I'd honestly just say "wear whatever looks coolest" because all upgraded witcher gear is pretty good at whatever you want to do, and unless you're playing on a difficulty where perfection matters, you can get away with whatever.

For instance, the bear armor is apparently suited for alchemy builds, but I played the entire game on medium without ever putting a point in alchemy and did fine. Cat armor would have been better for my play style but I thought it was ugly so I went for the cool heavy armor.

As for when to start wearing it, I'd say as soon as possible. Find a guide that shows you level requirements and where to get the schematics (you don't need to do the scavenger hunt quests or find the maps first, the schematics will always be there) and just upgrade to the next tier as you reach the appropriate level. The sooner you start working on the crafts, the sooner you can start hoarding the bottleneck mats :argh:

Keep your witcher gear up to date and you pretty much never have to think about gear ever again unless you feel like it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I'm playing through for the first time on the second hardest difficulty. Went for Temerian Armor and only just had the funds to upgrade to the Nilfgaard set (which was Waaay cheaper) at level 11. Just finished that Keira quest line and all the Fyke Isle stuff and loving it. Apparently I hosed up by getting the Moonblade early on? Kinda disappointing that you can even do that without some warning, but I'm still mostly wrecking faces.

Really tempted to get that respec potion (which I can't remember who was selling it) because I wasted points in the arrow deflect skill and strong attack (which I rarely use), plus that passive that raises damage on attacks and signs with max adrenaline (doesn't seem to make very much difference at all).

I'm going for a hybrid sword and signs fast attacking dodge build and it's working well so far... maxed fast attack and the Axii 1 and Igni 1 signs, though I wish I had the points to boost up Aard because it's a lot of fun, but Axii uses less stamina and how could I NOT want the Jedi Mind Trick in conversations option?

I just got Active Quen (skipped the knockback but now reconsidering... I wanted to avoid relying on Quen a lot out of principle) and holy poo poo it rocks my world and has essentially replaced parrying because why bother when I can stop them AND heal some health while popping it up quickly? The low stamina cost is amazing. I'm very glad I recently played through Witcher 2 again with the CDPR made combat balance mod because it was a great intro into the methodology of this game.

The only mods I'm running are colored map markers and automatic oil application because pulling up the inventory every drat time got extremely tiresome.

Worth respeccing out of the passive and the arrow blocking now to get a few extra points early on? I'm thinking I'll aim for the reduced adrenaline loss on hit instead to fill out that tier and unlock level 2, with the goal of that bottom right skill that boosts signs with adrenaline. Only passive will be the medium armor one, I think, for the stamina regen. I figure I may as well do it now while it will help rather than later when I'll probably have points to spare and incremental boosts won't have as much impact (plus I'll have more slots for mutagens and active skills)?

RadioDog
May 31, 2005
Wow, just got through Forefather's Eve quest first time on Death March. Remember really struggling with this one first time around on Bones. So imagine my surprise when I only got to kill maybe 4 beasts total, and the Pellar finished the rest. Is that normal? I didn't even get to kill the Hag, and only got to 2 of the wraiths before he finished them (did get the hunters though, but they were soft). Thought I was supposed to protect him?

:colbert:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fuzz posted:

I'm playing through for the first time on the second hardest difficulty. Went for Temerian Armor and only just had the funds to upgrade to the Nilfgaard set (which was Waaay cheaper) at level 11. Just finished that Keira quest line and all the Fyke Isle stuff and loving it. Apparently I hosed up by getting the Moonblade early on? Kinda disappointing that you can even do that without some warning, but I'm still mostly wrecking faces.
Its worth it to respec if you can afford the 1k gold. There are a few merchants that sell the potion, two or three in Novigrad I think. May be worth googling just for sanity's sake if you really want to get one.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Also a bunch of them available in Toussaint once you get there.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I skipped the Gwent tutorial guy in White Orchard and didn't play my first match until Novigrad (I got my rear end kicked). Is there a difficulty curve alongside area progression (in other words, should I go back to Velen if I want to get into it) or am I just bad right now?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Fuligin posted:

I skipped the Gwent tutorial guy in White Orchard and didn't play my first match until Novigrad (I got my rear end kicked). Is there a difficulty curve alongside area progression (in other words, should I go back to Velen if I want to get into it) or am I just bad right now?

Certainly the former, probably the latter too.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fuligin posted:

If you havent been buying any cards and optimizing your deck it is both - by Novigrad you face tougher opposition and in Velen you have tons of merchants to grab a couple cards from their shop + every time you beat a person the first time you get a free random card.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
If you want to get into Gwent and haven't touched it at all, head back to White Orchard real quick - the innkeeper as well as the merchant you saved from the griffon both sell cards that are pretty good.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I see the fashion debate has broken out again. Cat is best.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Arglebargle III posted:

Thank you for this. I wonder who sacrificed the skin on their arms and/or face to get that getup going.

Also, it is a true statement.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Is Hairworks good enough to leave on?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Arglebargle III posted:

Truly a witcher that has done nothing wrong

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

"Can you cut my hair?" says geralt. "Way it is now, it gets in my eyes."

20 minutes later Geralt walks out of the barber's with hair sixteen inches longer than when he went in.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Thanks for the advice guys, it's off to White Orchard I go

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Arglebargle III posted:

Geralt all stomping around Skellige in short sleeves like a lineman for the Packers

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Manticore is clearly the best, but I can forgive all the wrong opinions due to its late showing.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Bear is the best looking. This is indisputable.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Now which is the best beard and haircut? I always go friendly mutton chops and elven rebel.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Why even ask if you're gonna give the answer in the same post?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Lone Badger posted:

Bear is the best looking. This is indisputable.

Enhanced Wolf, pre dyes patch.

I'm just a casual dude in a stylish jacket yo.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Dec 16, 2016

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I don't believe in the best hairstyle as there's one best for every region and I change them every time I travel in order to fit in better with the locals.

White Orchard/Velen: pony tail + medium beard
Vizima: elven rebel + mutton chops
Kaer Morhen: book Geralt so loose and gathered + clean shave
Skellige: long and loose + biggest beard
HoS missions: shaved on the sides + clean shave (I'd prefer a true cossack haircut and long mustache but it's not an option)
Toussaint: Final Fantasy hair + mustache and soul patch

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
I get quite upset irl when someone posts a screenshot of Geralt and he doesn't have long and loose hair, a full beard and spectacles.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Contra Duck posted:

I get quite upset irl when someone posts a screenshot of Geralt and he doesn't have donkey ears.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Um, excuse me, the best armor is the one you have to unlock for use using outside files.

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/2144/

Perfect for the elven hair and soul patch.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

That middle hair with the armor I linked. :stare:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Yenniralt

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

What's the cheapest way to get both expansions on the PS4?
Is buying the complete edition for $30 my best option?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I caved and installed the no fall damage mod because holy poo poo is it scaled overly sensitively.

A fun by product is that I can run around like Batman in Novigrad. 10/10 would install again.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
It's just so good! I don't have to worry about falling into someone's basement and dying, because the ladder prompt didn't work. Best mod.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

DevCore posted:

What's the cheapest way to get both expansions on the PS4?
Is buying the complete edition for $30 my best option?

Probably? I don't think I've seen it cheaper than that, but I have it on PC. Realize that the expansions are huge - Heart of Stone is 10-15 hours, Blood and Wine is easily 30+ depending on how important completion is to you. I think my playthrough of all 3 - where I didn't get even close to 100% - was something like 150-155 hours. At $30 it's a hell of a deal for a single player game.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It's just so good! I don't have to worry about falling into someone's basement and dying, because the ladder prompt didn't work. Best mod.

Hold down the jump button while falling!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Arglebargle III posted:

Hold down the jump button while falling!

That's an entire button press, and this way lets me get down lighthouses quickly as well! :argh:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Shooting Blanks posted:

Probably? I don't think I've seen it cheaper than that, but I have it on PC. Realize that the expansions are huge - Heart of Stone is 10-15 hours, Blood and Wine is easily 30+ depending on how important completion is to you. I think my playthrough of all 3 - where I didn't get even close to 100% - was something like 150-155 hours. At $30 it's a hell of a deal for a single player game.

Yeah, $60 would be good value, $30 is approaching "I'd feel guilty about paying this little" territory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

2house2fly posted:

Yeah, $60 would be good value, $30 is approaching "I'd feel guilty about paying this little" territory

:agreed:

Buy this game at whatever price you find it at, it is worth it