Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

ChrisBTY posted:

Wrestling is so popular in India that rumors circulated about Monday Night Raw in India being edited so it looked like The Great Khali was in the main event every week.
Wrestling is popular enough in India that TNA started a sort of sub-promotion, Ring-Ka-King in India. (Which outside of Joe/Daniels/AJ matches is probably the best thing TNA ever did).

India has the greatest backyard promotion in the world: ANGAAR TV (link to their youtube channel). I really need to make an Angaar TV thread one of these days. Everyone is pretending to be one WWE wrestler or another, and they have "commentary" made up of spliced WWE commentary. From all the years. So you'll have Jim Ross calling a move spliced into Michael Cole and then suddenly Bobby Heenan is yelling about Jake the Snake and they're talking about a wrestler no one is pretending to be and it's all incredible. It's also all mostly silly, they don't like intentionally try to hurt themselves like the backyard feds that are really dumb.

Seriously, check these dudes out for a laugh sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

StarkRavingMad posted:

It's also all mostly silly, they don't like intentionally try to hurt themselves like the backyard feds that are really dumb.

*Indian kid gets powerbombed through a flaming table while another gets thrown headfirst into light tubes*

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

super macho dude posted:

*Indian kid gets powerbombed through a flaming table while another gets thrown headfirst into light tubes*

smoldering piece of cardboard, usually

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

MassRafTer posted:

South America has very little wrestling history. Nothing really notable on a local level until recently. Mainly it is promoters flying people in and WWE going there once a year. It's biggest in Chile although promoters have tried shows in Brazil, Argentina, Venezuela and Peru. First notable indie shows in the region were about a decade ago.

I don't know how popular it was, but Titanes en el Ring ran for a couple decades. There's some old school Brazilian stuff on YouTube too. Judging by the size of the crowd I'd guess it had at least a short period of popularity.

I think there was a period of popularity in South Korea with Kintaro Ohki on top too? There used to be footage on YouTube but I have no idea how to find it now if it's even still there.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Spermgod posted:

I don't know how popular it was, but Titanes en el Ring ran for a couple decades. There's some old school Brazilian stuff on YouTube too. Judging by the size of the crowd I'd guess it had at least a short period of popularity.

I think there was a period of popularity in South Korea with Kintaro Ohki on top too? There used to be footage on YouTube but I have no idea how to find it now if it's even still there.

I forgot about that period in Brazil. It was indeed huge for a period of time and really got the Gracie's goat because of it.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Thinking of going to RAM in Columbus next Monday. The cheapest ticket is available in Section 118, as shown below (first grey section left of 121):

If I sit in 118, will I likely be able to see much of anything? I have a bad feeling Titantron is going to be in the way. There are a few other options I can find, but I'd rather pay a little more and not sit in Obstructed View SeatsTM.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
try this site, or I think there are similar http://aviewfrommyseat.com/
stubhub has seat views for some stuff as well, may not have wrestling setups pictured but might give an idea... also if the seats are listed as obstructed view it could be anything from "small slightly annoying post in the way" to "gently caress I can't see anything"
might have to go old school and call the arena

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Taiwan had a scene in the '70s and '80s centered around a man named Kan Man Huang, or "Lion King." Supposedly Inoki scouted him, but the only Japanese involvement I could find with him was a couple of AJPW shows.

That's almost the entirety of what I could dig up on that scene. I also found a random clip of what appeared to be a Taiwanese or HK based fed from the 90s, showing off some pretty rough skills on a variety show... plus a fake Yokozuna. I'll have to see if I can find that again.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

flashy_mcflash posted:

the wooooooooooooomb

I laughed at this post. A good post.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

CBJSprague24 posted:

Thinking of going to RAM in Columbus next Monday. The cheapest ticket is available in Section 118, as shown below (first grey section left of 121):

If I sit in 118, will I likely be able to see much of anything? I have a bad feeling Titantron is going to be in the way. There are a few other options I can find, but I'd rather pay a little more and not sit in Obstructed View SeatsTM.

I sat in the equivalent section at my arena for a ppv. It was alright. I had a great view of the ring but couldn't see the tron at all.

This was with the old setup though. I'm not sure if the new set would change this.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

LvK posted:

Taiwan had a scene in the '70s and '80s centered around a man named Kan Man Huang, or "Lion King." Supposedly Inoki scouted him, but the only Japanese involvement I could find with him was a couple of AJPW shows.

That's almost the entirety of what I could dig up on that scene. I also found a random clip of what appeared to be a Taiwanese or HK based fed from the 90s, showing off some pretty rough skills on a variety show... plus a fake Yokozuna. I'll have to see if I can find that again.

I can't find anything about that online and Kan Man Huang isn't Lion King in either Chinese or Taiwanese. Do you have a link?

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit
When Brock beat up that camera guy when he was on a rampage, was it anybody from developmental or just a local guy?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

CBJSprague24 posted:

Just buy a radio and listen to the calls :D

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Baron Corbyn posted:

I can't find anything about that online and Kan Man Huang isn't Lion King in either Chinese or Taiwanese. Do you have a link?

I think he only went by Lion King in Japan, or just used it as his nickname. When I get home I'll look up some of the material I found - there's a bunch of Chinese language articles on him but most of them are like brief "who's that?" articles, plus a minidoc series that is basically just him training.

The only English-language hits I got for him were credits for his roles in kung-fu movies.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Who are some of the worst workers in history who didn't have an excuse? I mean you know guys like Raja Lion or Giant Gonzales or whomever at least had the fact that they were superhumanly big to justify them being around, or people like Kelly Kelly or Sable who were pretty faces first and wrestlers second, and then there's celebrities or like family members of the promoter who aren't there for their talent, but for who they are. But who were some wrestlers who didn't have anything going for them, but still got bookings.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
If we're going to rule out workrate, hot wife, nepotism, and physical freak...

Ultimate Warrior?

I mean if you didn't tic one of those 4 boxes, you probably were a jobber.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

StarkRavingMad posted:

India has the greatest backyard promotion in the world: ANGAAR TV (link to their youtube channel). I really need to make an Angaar TV thread one of these days. Everyone is pretending to be one WWE wrestler or another, and they have "commentary" made up of spliced WWE commentary. From all the years. So you'll have Jim Ross calling a move spliced into Michael Cole and then suddenly Bobby Heenan is yelling about Jake the Snake and they're talking about a wrestler no one is pretending to be and it's all incredible. It's also all mostly silly, they don't like intentionally try to hurt themselves like the backyard feds that are really dumb.

Seriously, check these dudes out for a laugh sometime.

Holy poo poo this is everything you said it would be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANiQEvnZihU

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

How exactly did Goldust become such a good in ring worker so late into his career. Was it all really just "stopped doing all the drugs"?

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ostentatious posted:

How exactly did Goldust become such a good in ring worker so late into his career. Was it all really just "stopped doing all the drugs"?

No he got pretty good while still on a lot of drugs.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
have any of you guys ever paid for the insanely expensive WWE ringside seats? If so would you say being ringside is at all worth the premium?

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Ostentatious posted:

He realised how hosed up he was when he found himself hugging a barbed wire christmas tree in the "Silent Night, Bloody Night" street fight in TNA, decided he needed some help, found his (and our) savior Diamond Dallas Page, and started doing Yoshi Tonics.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Ostentatious posted:

he was really good early on too. it's the mid period that was not so great.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah watch WarGames from WrestleWar '92 and he's the MVP of that match along with Windham

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

being at ringside for wrestling is awesome and wrestling is in general way better live but ringside at a wwe event has gotta be like what 10 feet from the ring still. i would rather be a few rows up in the stadium seating than pay for that

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
When it comes to floor seats: if you aren't in the first 3-5 rows don't bother. Just pay for lower bowl seating and you will literally be able to see the match. I made the dumb mistake of getting floor seats 20+ rows away from the ring and I could not see poo poo.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

projecthalaxy posted:

Who are some of the worst workers in history who didn't have an excuse? I mean you know guys like Raja Lion or Giant Gonzales or whomever at least had the fact that they were superhumanly big to justify them being around, or people like Kelly Kelly or Sable who were pretty faces first and wrestlers second, and then there's celebrities or like family members of the promoter who aren't there for their talent, but for who they are. But who were some wrestlers who didn't have anything going for them, but still got bookings.
This is kind of a weird question. If you're ruling out "pretty face," "huge monster," "celebrity," and "related to promoter," then that still leaves a lot of guys who weren't good workers but a good promo or a great physique. Some of wrestling's biggest stars have been bodybuilders or talkers first and foremost. Whereas if you want to see guys who had nothing going for them as performers, you might want to consider guys like Erik Watts and David Flair.

Brutus Beefcake might be the ultimate example. Essentially his entire career was based on being friends with Hogan. Jim Duggan was much the same; he rode a cheap patriotic gimmick and friendship with Hogan about as far as it could take him.

Warrior and Sid were both body guys who couldn't work, with "presence" but no charisma otherwise.

Nailz stands out as a guy with absolutely nothing going for him besides being pretty tall.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Jim Duggan doesn't belong anywhere near a list of "worst workers" despite how awful his WCW work was.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

territory duggan is fun even if he eventually found an easy gimmick that allowed him to stop giving a poo poo

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

oatgan posted:

territory duggan is fun even if he eventually found an easy gimmick that allowed him to stop giving a poo poo

all wrestlers should be so lucky

who are the best workers who suck? entertaining and awful, someone like CMLL's Thunder may he rest in piece, who was innovating badness with his powerslam-lowblow and the boomerang bomb

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

Erik Watts. Son of a well-respected wrestler/promoter who sucked profusely as a worker despite being tutored by Bill Watts and Buddy Lee Parker (who despite having a dumb gimmick, was a good meat and potatoes type wrestler and is a respected trainer). Got pushed hard anyways because Watts had the book in WCW at the time.

New Jack. It's a shame he was so bad at in-ring stuff, because he was a very good promo. He mastered the "Jake Roberts speaks slowly and intelligently about how badly he's going to hurt you and scares you far more than screaming and shouting ever would" style promo. But I think I saw maybe one okay New Jack match ever, because the other 3 guys were good enough that he didn't ruin it (It was a street fight between Spike&Jack and the Dudleys, and it was nuts enough to cover up deficiencies of those involved).

George Gulas. Similar to Erik Watts, his dad (Nick Gulas) was quite successful in the South as a promoter, as well as being a popular manager. Nick gave Jerry Lawler his break in the business, and was fairly successful in Memphis until he decided to push the poo poo out of his son George, which caused Jerry Jarrett to break from him as a partner (oh, the irony). If you google George Gulas, you'll get two responses that are interesting: One from autocomplete that says "George Gulas daddy said sell" which relates to the fact that Gulas was so bad that sometimes he had to "gently suggest" people to sell for him because he was so crap that nobody wanted to work with him. His only notable moment came when he teamed with a super-rookie who would go on to pretty solid success in the wrestling business. It was Bobby Eaton. If you cannot learn from a worker of Bobby's caliber, you suck. Or you're a stubborn dick, one of those two. The second is that one of the first results is a thread from the wrestling classics board titled "Was George Gulas really that bad?" (they came to the conclusion that he wa spretty bad, although like with most things, the Internet was a bit too hard on him). I watched a bit of Gulas's stuff a while back. Hoo boy. Just really uncoordinated and sloppy, nothing charisma-wise to make you ignore that.

Ahmed Johnson: I hate putting him here, because lil' El Gallinero Gros thought he was awesome, but he might be even sloppier than Gulas was, but with the added problem of trying more advanced stuff like scissor kicks and such. Injury prone because of it, and had a bad habit of hurting people consistently as well. Pushed hard, MIGHT have eventually been WWE Champ if he could have just stayed healthy. But holy crap was he bad. His WCW comeback was worse.

Ludvig Borga: Sloppy, overpushed, boring, and he's a racist, too. Apparently was planned to be WWE champion so he could lose to Luger at WM, although that may be apocryphal (MRT, any help here?). Mid 90's main event WWE was really feast or famine.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Aye Doc posted:

all wrestlers should be so lucky

who are the best workers who suck? entertaining and awful, someone like CMLL's Thunder may he rest in piece, who was innovating badness with his powerslam-lowblow and the boomerang bomb

Ahmed Johnson ruled this category in the 90's, and Snitsky is the best bad wrestler of the 00's. Both were terrible in the ring but also presented by their employers as bumbling morons in incredibly bad angles. I think the latter is key to standing out as good bad instead of bad bad

oatgan fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 17, 2016

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

oatgan posted:

Ahmed Johnson ruled this category in the 90's, and Snitsky is the premiere best bad wrestler of the 00's

Gonna challenge Ahmed with Sid, who I didn't put in my previous post because he's enormous and that affects his mobility, plus he was taught to be a monster and not much else

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

sabu is another good pick but his matches were actually amazing spectacle for several years before he completely fell apart

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Gonna challenge Ahmed with Sid, who I didn't put in my previous post because he's enormous and that affects his mobility, plus he was taught to be a monster and not much else

i'm blinded by genuine love of sid vicious and his comparatively superior 2000 wcw run

oatgan fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 17, 2016

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I wanna put the Nasty Boys in the "awful but enjoyable wrestlers" category, even though they could have some absolute stinkers if they weren't put with a good tag team (Nastys/Public Enemy is unwatchable)

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

the more i think about this i realize the answer is just ECW

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
as long as we're doing hot takes about 90s wrestling, Lex Luger's run in Nitro-era WCW is extremely underrated

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i dont think thats a hot take i think luger has been historically reassessed

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Alain Post posted:

as long as we're doing hot takes about 90s wrestling, Lex Luger's run in Nitro-era WCW is extremely underrated

lex luger's comeback for team wcw at the end of uncensored 97 is the best hot tag of all time in what is otherwise an abysmal match to close a rapidly declining show

oatgan fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 17, 2016

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Ahmed Johnson is a good one. And if we're gonna talk "awful but enjoyable," then Konnan and Gangrel.

Aye Doc posted:

Some people feel this way about Rob Van Dam. Very athletic, but little psychology and a bad habit of just waylaying people with his kicks.

Mike Graham was a solid worker who was just a black hole of entertainment. He was a small guy (his matches with Flair make Flair look like a Batista-esque near-giant) whose working style was just stuck in the previous generation. (He wrestled more like Verne Gagne or Dory Funk in an era where guys like Flair were working more fast-paced matches and the 60-minute draw was on its way out.)

Neither Chris Benoit nor Dena Malenko were good promos, and of course being small hurt their careers.

Mr. Kennedy was a solid worker, I guess? But no one was ever excited by anything he did.

Terry Taylor was a good worker but of course he sucks.

Bob Backlund was a very good worker, but unfortunately, most wrestling fans today remember him from his 1983 WWF gimmick where he was really stale. Dave Meltzer ragged on him a lot in the Observer's early years, but he's come around on him since then. It's funny that ever since then he's played Bob Backlund, Bow-Tied Republican All-American Dad, but in his most successful period he was more of an energetic young wild man. (He was also one of the biggest draws of the 80s, but even most wrestling fans are totally ignorant of this.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

oatgan posted:

lex luger's comeback for team wcw at the end of uncensored 97 is the best hot tag of all time in what is otherwise an abysmal match to close a rapidly declining show

Lex Luger/Giant from Starrcade '96 kicks rear end imo. built off their previous matches well and IIRC it was one of the earliest clean wins over the nWo which gave it a monster pop