Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

are you hiring?

My job is actually an incredibly boring 70 hour a week grind. It has small moments of schadenfreude but mostly it's reading bond documents at 2am, building models on Saturday, and coordinating with 5 sets of lawyers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

withak posted:

Until Uber goes out of their way to set up some service that crosses state lines, creating a new category of interstate commerce which would require the Trump administration to step in and produce some new regulations. The new regulations would allow them to do whatever they want.

They call the NYC metro area "The Tri-State Area" for a reason. :smithicide:

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

follow that camel!! posted:

I think it also matters that Uber is a commercial vehicle picking up passengers, as opposed to an individual driving himself around. Regulation and enforcement tends to be more focused on taxis and commercial vehicles.
The whole "sharing economy" thing is pretty much abandoned at this point, right? Even the people in my friend circles who work for companies like AirBnb have stopped using that language over the last 6+ months.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don't hear it any more. I hear "gig economy" and "independent providers", more than I'd like. I have heard pitches that explicitly distinguished themselves from Uber/DoorDash/etc by saying they would use employees and own the tools, to provide more reliable service. Warms the heart.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Subjunctive posted:

I don't hear it any more. I hear "gig economy" and "independent providers", more than I'd like.
Sharing Economy was that attempt to make it seem like all hippie rainbows and moonbeams. Oh, I'm driving down to pick up someone at the airport. Why sure, I'd love to pick some guy up that happens to need to go to the airport, makes perfect sense and we all win!

Gig Economy takes it for what it is: we're all poor as gently caress and need to scrape together a living with as many random odd-jobs as we can handle.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Part of that is that you only "share" with certain people. When Airbnb first started, their sales pitch was that you control who you let into your home. They required an established social media account to register, and hosts often reviewed a guest's social media before approving a booking. In addition, up until a few years ago smartphone use was concentrated in a few demographic groups, which further restricted who could use it. Airbnb would probably have never gotten big if they had their current anti-discimination policies when they started.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

pangstrom posted:

*in Bane voice*
“a chemistry is performed so that a chemical reaction occurs and generates a signal from the chemical interaction with the sample, which is translated into a result, which is then reviewed by certified laboratory personnel”

I was thinking more of a Nigel Lambert voice myself.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

edit: Basically almost all of this poo poo seems like people having more money than sense, in a nutshell.

And remember, after you hit a certain level of wealth, it actually takes work not to just keep growing it.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Time posted:

I have a boss who has every one of those slides he has ever seen saved in one PowerPoint. He emails an updated version around every 6 months and makes me add in post-mortem stats about how hard they failed.

You should make up a totally bullshit pitch to go with those slides and time how long it takes for different VCs and angels to say "No thanks." Or "How much do you need?"

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I should find out how the venture-backed company that wanted to hire me to run engineering is doing.

They found me on LinkedIn, see, and wanted to interview me as their first non-founder hire based on my profile. (Only vague stuff is listed, and I haven't been anything other than an individual contributor for a dozen years.)

I first told them I wasn't interested in anything less than VP or C-level, and instead of saying "oh, never mind," the recruiter at the VC firm said "they'll discuss it." That's when I let them know it was a blow-off and they should really vet people better before asking if they'd like a job.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
That fall of Theranos story is so on point, not just about Theranos but the whole tech industry. Some choice quote for those who haven't read it yet:

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/09/elizabeth-holmes-theranos-exclusive posted:

... she is often surrounded by her security detail, which sometimes numbers as many as four men, who (for safety reasons) refer to the young C.E.O. as “Eagle 1”—and headed to the airport. (She has been known to fly alone on a $6.5 million Gulfstream G150.)

... Cramer generously began the interview by asking Holmes what had happened. “This is what happens when you work to change things,” she said, her long blond hair tousled, her smile amplified by red lipstick. “First they think you’re crazy, then they fight you, and then, all of a sudden, you change the world.” When Cramer asked Holmes for a terse true-or-false answer about an accusation in the article, she replied with a meandering 198-word retort.

... It generally works like this: the venture capitalists (who are mostly white men) don’t really know what they’re doing with any certainty—it’s impossible, after all, to truly predict the next big thing—so they bet a little bit on every company that they can with the hope that one of them hits it big. The entrepreneurs (also mostly white men) often work on a lot of meaningless stuff, like using code to deliver frozen yogurt more expeditiously. The entrepreneurs generally glorify their efforts by saying that their innovation could change the world, which tends to appease the venture capitalists, because they can also pretend they’re not there only to make money. And this also helps seduce the tech press (also largely comprised of white men), which is often ready to play a game of access in exchange for a few more page views of their story about the company that is trying to change the world by getting frozen yogurt to customers more expeditiously. The financial rewards speak for themselves. Silicon Valley, which is 50 square miles, has created more wealth than any place in human history. In the end, it isn’t in anyone’s interest to call bullshit.

... When she first came up with the precursor to the idea of Theranos, which eventually aimed to reap vast amounts of data from a few droplets of blood derived from the tip of a finger, she approached several of her professors at Stanford, according to someone who knew Holmes back then. But most explained to the chemical-engineering major that it was virtually impossible to do so with any real efficacy.

... When Google Ventures tried to perform due diligence on Theranos to weigh an investment, Theranos never responded. Eventually, Google Ventures sent a venture capitalist to a Theranos Walgreens Wellness Center to take the revolutionary pinprick blood test. As the V.C. sat in a chair and had several large vials of blood drawn from his arm, far more than a pinprick, it became apparent that something was amiss with Theranos’s promise.

... Applicants who came for job interviews were told that they wouldn’t know what the actual job was unless they were hired. On LinkedIn, one former employee noted next to his job description, “I worked here, but every time I say what I did I get a letter from a lawyer. I probably will get a letter from a lawyer for writing this.”

The "white men" bit is overplayed I think - it's more that they're white guys that all went to the same universities and hang out with each other - but it's pretty damning of everyone in the system.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Uber CEO is on Trump's economic transition team so terrible low paying, no benefits jobs for everyone!

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Skipthedishes just "exited" for 200 mil to some uk startup who also provides a delivery service. Innovation everyone.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

The whole "sharing economy" thing is pretty much abandoned at this point, right?

There is a McDonalds billboard ad on the main highway into San Francisco for 20-piece McNuggets, referring to them as the new sharing economy or something of that sort.

(I just wanted to plant that little factoid in your brain where it will linger and rot forever, much like McNuggets.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

namaste faggots posted:

Skipthedishes just "exited" for 200 mil to some uk startup who also provides a delivery service. Innovation everyone.

110, we'll see if they can hit the targets for the other 90

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Exciting news at Faraday Future, a self-driving car startup.

quote:

But six former Faraday employees told BuzzFeed News the company is headed toward its big CES reveal following a year fraught with financial troubles, including mounting unpaid bills, lawsuits from a supplier and a landlord, and a distracting side project undertaken at the behest of its largest investor. The past year has also seen a slew of departures, including senior staffers.

“Month to month, the money was never there. Funds were lower than what Faraday needed to cover operational costs and commitments to suppliers,” one former employee with knowledge of the company’s finances told BuzzFeed News. Like most of the people interviewed for this story, the source spoke to BuzzFeed News on the condition of anonymity.

By July, Faraday had added $300 million in debt to its balance sheet as a result of missed payments to suppliers and vendors, according to a company document reviewed by BuzzFeed News. At the same time, it was already more than 30 days overdue on more than $100 million worth of payments to vendors and suppliers, according to a former employee familiar with Faraday’s finances.
That's not close to being the best quote.

quote:

There is some evidence to support that characterization. In December 2015, employees at Faraday’s headquarters in Gardena, California, received a mandate from Jia: Design a prototype LeEco [a separate company owned by the founder] car that could be shown off publicly at a spring event in Beijing. According to several former employees, some of Faraday’s designers were pulled off of their core projects to work on the vehicle. And in April 2016, LeEco unveiled a sleek, electric sedan called LeSee. On stage, Jia, who has been outspoken about his plans to usurp Tesla, touted LeSee as a LeEco creation as the white sedan glided across the stage to park in a mock garage. The audience couldn’t see that the seemingly self-driving car was in fact being piloted from backstage via remote control.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Sundae posted:

There is a McDonalds billboard ad on the main highway into San Francisco for 20-piece McNuggets, referring to them as the new sharing economy or something of that sort.

(I just wanted to plant that little factoid in your brain where it will linger and rot forever, much like McNuggets.)

McDonals misuse a popular phrase? Why, I never!

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Sundae posted:

They have a radio commercial with the same gimmick filled with Silicon Valley buzzwords, it's terrible. I'm pretty sure the McNuggets deal has existed for years, but maybe they got rid of it for a few months just to make a big deal out of bringing it back.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

McDonald's 20 Piece Chicken Nugget is a product that provides more value to the world than 90 percent of startups, to be fair.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I wonder what would happen if when Elon Musk described his Mars Mission or whatever said "A physics is performed"

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Uber refuses to back down and get the $100 permit, setting up yet another court case.

Maybe they're hoping that this will be the case to revive Lochner?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

It actually sort of sounds like they might not actually be self driving cars, just cars with a ton of driver convenience features. Like I am 100% sure the end goal is to eventually kick out the driver but it sounds like they have not just designed a self driving car then had a guy sit like a lump in the seat to meet a bare minimum requirement, it sounds like they actually aren't self driving cars and actually do require a person to do a lot of the driving. Just less than a standard car.

http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/12/uber-tests-self-driving-on-san-francisco-roads-avoids-dmv-autonomy-definition/
Uber’s cars require a human operator to make any kind of significant trip, with Bloomberg reporting that in a Tuesday test drive, the engineer behind the wheel “took control of the vehicle more than a dozen times in less than 30 minutes.”

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/12/uber-tests-self-driving-on-san-francisco-roads-avoids-dmv-autonomy-definition/
Uber’s cars require a human operator to make any kind of significant trip, with Bloomberg reporting that in a Tuesday test drive, the engineer behind the wheel “took control of the vehicle more than a dozen times in less than 30 minutes.”

Who cares? It's a $150 fee and three pieces of paper. They're just being huge dicks about a non-issue because they think they're making a stand against stifling regulation because they're the corporate personification of howard roark, it's got nothing to do with the technology or anything else.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
The California Attorney General won't be scared of their legal department and because this will go up to the California Supremes (this is a matter of state law), they're probably going to get killed.
Unless the car really isn't an autonomous car but they don't want to actually show that because marketing.

I bet there's a whole bunch of SFPD and CHP officers who just are itching to tow the uber car too.

Note also that last I heard, California's self-driving car regulations were considered pretty great by the companies doing self-driving cars. They're not particularly onerous.

nm fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Dec 17, 2016

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

nm posted:

Note also that last I heard, California's self-driving car regulations were considered pretty great by the companies doing self-driving cars. They're not particularly onerous.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I honestly think Uber must have some major libertarians at the top, and believe that complying with any sort of government regulation just encourages them. They argue about even the most minor of restrictions.

This is why they aren't even paying $150 and filling out three pages of paperwork. They honestly think that the law doesn't really apply to the Randian Ubermensch.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

So from more reading, it sounds like filing the forms also then requires that you coordinate with the city you're testing in and so forth. I wonder if the ongoing cooperation requirement is what they find objectionable. They aren't known for getting along well with municipalities.

E: Oh, also, they'd have to file a report listing all the times autonomous mode disengaged, which they might not want to do if early reports of the frequency of driver intervention are true.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Dec 17, 2016

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

eschaton posted:

This is why they aren't even paying $150 and filling out three pages of paperwork. They honestly think that the law doesn't really apply to the Randian Ubermensch.

They aren't wrong unfortunately. Listen or read anything about wealth managers or the super wealthy that's come out recently. Borders, taxes, laws the truly rich are currently ignoring all of them. It's pretty obvious the next step is to push it downwards and to get the entities they control to be able to ignore these things completely too.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

eschaton posted:

They honestly don't think that the self driving car rules apply to their human driven cars. That seems like a non-insane position. Like should everyone fill out the form if their car has automatic transmission or cruise control too? Figuring out which automation is and isn't "self driving" is important.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

They honestly don't think that the self driving car rules apply to their human driven cars. That seems like a non-insane position. Like should everyone fill out the form if their car has automatic transmission or cruise control too? Figuring out which automation is and isn't "self driving" is important.

Live by the marketing campaign, die by the marketing campaign. Once you've told the press it's "self-driving" it's too late to tell the state of California it isn't.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It's also important for California to push on this because the failure to do so would establish a precedent that cars that mostly drove themselves don't need a permit. If a car isn't self-driving because the driver moved the steering wheel once every two to three minutes what about five minutes? Ten minutes? And by that point you could make the argument that a car that can be overridden by the driver isn't even self-driving. It'd be a dumb argument, but Uber would make it if it thought it could get away with it.

The state can draw the line in the sand now or it can risk the line being established by an unfavorable court ruling later.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, it's a shame California didn't specify what they meant by autonomous vehicles.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

duz posted:

Yeah, it's a shame California didn't specify what they meant by autonomous vehicles.
Sure they did!

quote:

(b) “Autonomous vehicle” means any vehicle equipped with technology that has the capability of operating or driving the vehicle without the active physical control or monitoring of a natural person, whether or not the technology is engaged, excluding vehicles equipped with one or more systems that enhance safety or provide driver assistance but are not capable of driving or operating the vehicle without the active physical control or monitoring of a natural person.

Active physical control is a bit sticky (does it cover vehicles with throttle/steering by wire?), but the rest of that is very clear.

I don't really want to dig into regulations further, but there are probably ones that apply to non-autonomous vehicles about drivers maintaining control of their vehicles that California could ding Uber under.

Lyesh fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 17, 2016

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

duz posted:

They did, and the uber car, in requiring human input to navigate doesn't meet the requirements. It's literally not a self driving car. It literally has a person that is driving it and taking frequent action to control the car.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

They did, and the uber car, in requiring human input to navigate doesn't meet the requirements. It's literally not a self driving car. It literally has a person that is driving it and taking frequent action to control the car.

Uber: "But there is a more fundamental point—how and when companies should be able to engineer and operate self-driving technology. We have seen different approaches to this question. Most states see the potential benefits, especially when it comes to road safety. And several cities and states have recognized that complex rules and requirements could have the unintended consequence of slowing innovation. Pittsburgh, Arizona, Nevada, and Florida in particular have been leaders in this way, and by doing so have made clear that they are pro technology. Our hope is that California, our home state and a leader in much of the world’s dynamism, will take a similar view."

They are retroactively claiming "Whoops, not a self-driving car" but a large part of the argument is "You shouldn't be regulating us anyway". This is not an argument calculated to appeal to the California DMV.

"Still, Bloomberg noted that Uber still hasn’t added itself to the DMV-managed list of companies that can test self-driving cars in California. That list includes tech companies like Google and Nvidia, traditional automakers like Volkswagen Group and Nissan, and auto component makers like Bosch and Delphi.

The DMV told Bloomberg that "twenty manufacturers have already obtained permits to test hundreds of cars on California roads. Uber should do the same.”"

Twenty other companies have pulled the $150 permit, but somehow Uber can't bother to do that because ~slowing innovation~.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

They probably don't care about the whole $150 thing because they figure they can perpetually count on the venture capital to help them win any legal fights and thus the larger battle for monopoly market share. It's dumb, extremely so even, but not any dumber than the fact the VCs in question haven't realized Uber isn't going to stop being a money pit of its own accord and started attaching strings to further investment or going elsewhere. They are going to do that sensible thing instead of wait until the bubble pops in other ways and market panic right? Right?

Who am I kidding? :ughh:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I'm not clear on it needing that much intervention by design or because the system makes too many mistakes. But to my mind if the car can literally drive itself a few minutes at a time is self driving.

There are exemptions for equipment that helps the driver but those can't be trusted to drive cars. Cruise control sets the speed and that's it. No concern for collisions. Collision avoidance and lane assist can help prevent accidents. But they can't detect driving conditions and don't have precise navigational controls. GPS can tell you where you're at and where your going but it doesn't steer. Once you put those all into an integrated system designed to drive a car without input it becomes a self- driving car.

Uber doesn't get a pass on that because there are, on average, one input every 2.5 minutes On the highway at speed that's almost 3 miles. In a school zone or a bus stop that can be the difference between a driver noticing a signal and slowing down and the car not noticing and driving into someone who came from behind a bus.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

They probably don't care about the whole $150 thing because they figure they can perpetually count on the venture capital to help them win any legal fights and thus the larger battle for monopoly market share. It's dumb, extremely so even, but not any dumber than the fact the VCs in question haven't realized Uber isn't going to stop being a money pit of its own accord and started attaching strings to further investment or going elsewhere. They are going to do that sensible thing instead of wait until the bubble pops in other ways and market panic right? Right?

Who am I kidding? :ughh:
They already did, Uber has moved on to the dumb money now, unfortunately there's a lot more of that around.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Speaking of dumb money, with interest rates at long last being raised, are we going to see a sudden drying up of funding sources as it percolates down the network?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Is it true Kalanick is a liberal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i am furious about taxis. i hate taxis! one taxi driver called me a witch and accused me of being in a witch's coven of black widows and when i told him my uncle had actually died of cancer not murder he barely skipped a beat. my asian friends get sexually harrassed every second ride. rural taxi drivers are okay though, there's just the ten percent who are serial killers. however i have to honourably mention a taxi driver in the city once who was indian-australian and kept my mother and i regaled for twenty minutes about how he was some sort of guerrilla anti-racist freedom fighter who travelled around the capital cities giving rides to neo-nazis and effortlessly destroying them with his fists. he was great and i would happily pay twice the usual cab fare if every driver was guaranteed to be like him