Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I know the F-104 looks like a plane you would not want to be stabbed with as it falls out of the sky.

Always amazed that my dad's 6'4" cousin managed to fit in one to fly it for the RCAF. The planes look so tiny and he's a big dude. Probably right at the limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I'd posit nothing powered by a J79 was not awesome.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

The Starfighter might have been a deathtrap but it was an extremely cool looking deathtrap and that's enough of a compensation for me

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

starfighter: poo poo plane, badass rocket

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Luneshot posted:

The Starfighter might have been a deathtrap but it was an extremely cool looking deathtrap and that's enough of a compensation for me

Correct.

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

starfighter: poo poo plane, badass rocket

Also correct.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Inacio posted:

I literally looked at the title after scrolling down and seeing nothing but that.

But let's get back on track. This thread is about beautiful planes.

That's got to have been taken by one helluva telephoto lens. The way it's compressed buildings 5-10km in the background to look like theyre just behind the floating potato.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

I like that the Warning Star comes with a carrying sheath for the Starfighter.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
If a plane is good enough for Chuck Yeager its good enough for me

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

MikeCrotch posted:

Depends on the mission.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

The Starfighter wasn't that bad, it was just tasked with an insanely dangerous mission. :colbert:

Also have a cool (literally) video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOwQuQfquRI

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

MikeCrotch posted:

Didn't he have to eject from one after putting it in a flat spin he couldn't recover from

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

What kind of terrible life choices could possibly have brought you to this, the wrongest opinion?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

MrChips posted:

The Starfighter wasn't that bad, it was just tasked with an insanely dangerous mission. :colbert:

Also have a cool (literally) video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOwQuQfquRI

Proclick
E: That is the same outfit that flew to the south pole mid winter earlier this year to medivac isn't it?

slidebite fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 16, 2016

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Sometimes something is despairingly beautiful even in death.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Aargh posted:

That's got to have been taken by one helluva telephoto lens. The way it's compressed buildings 5-10km in the background to look like theyre just behind the floating potato.

If you check the metadata on the photos on Airliners.net, a lot of the guys are packing $20,000+ in camera gear. Sometimes even the lens alone costs that much.

Taking pictures of airliners is really important guys

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Lenses don’t cause compression. Distance causes compression.
:goonsay:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

slidebite posted:

Proclick
E: That is the same outfit that flew to the south pole mid winter earlier this year to medivac isn't it?

Yes it is. They also did the same thing in 2001 as well.

Sagebrush posted:

If you check the metadata on the photos on Airliners.net, a lot of the guys are packing $20,000+ in camera gear. Sometimes even the lens alone costs that much.

Not only that, but some of those shots you see, some of these guys are going out and chartering helicopters just to get a special and unique angle.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

Sometimes something is despairingly beautiful even in death.

You. I like the cut of your jib, mister.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Sagebrush posted:

drat straight.

MrChips posted:

Not only that, but some of those shots you see, some of these guys are going out and chartering helicopters just to get a special and unique angle.

This is very popular over LAX (I think because it's one of the easier places to arrange it, airspace-wise.)

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Previa_fun posted:

I'd posit nothing powered by a J79 was not awesome.

Semi-effortpost since I'm not on mobile now

Hypothesis: Anything powered by a J79 was awesome. I'll hit the highlights:

The contenders:
F-4 Phantom

One of the greatest fighters of the Vietnam era, the F-4 was a workhorse for the Navy and Air Force alike. Chosen as a demonstration aircraft by both the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds, six Phantoms in formation passing overhead is something I'd have to experience if I had a time machine. Also it's the Best Jet. I don't know guys I just really like Phantoms.

F-104

"The missile with a man in it." Held simultaneous speed and altitude records. Probably the only fighter to inspire a rock concept album. Basis for at least one wacky land speed record attempt vehicle.

B-58 Hustler

Mach 2 nuclear-capable bomber. Bad rear end delta wing. Probably the most atomic age as gently caress aircraft ever designed.

A-5 Vigilante

This big (60,000lb max takeoff weight) sonofabith was one of the largest aircraft ever operated off of an aircraft carrier. Again, capable of twice the speed of sound and could drop in theory poo poo out nuclear armaments.

Convair 880

Fastest airliner of it's time. Looks like a sexier 707. Dat wing sweep tho. Unfortunately it wasn't economical to operate and was phased out after a short time in service.

StandardVC10 posted:

It didn't so much "drop" nuclear bombs, as poop them out the back - the bomb bay was arranged horizontally, not vertically. That didn't actually work, so the A-5 made its greatest contribution as a fast recon airplane over Vietnam.

Fixed.

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 16, 2016

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Previa_fun posted:

A-5 Vigilante

This big (60,000lb max takeoff weight) sonofabith was one of the largest aircraft ever operated off of an aircraft carrier. Again, capable of twice the speed of sound and could drop nuclear armaments.

It didn't so much "drop" nuclear bombs, as poop them out the back - the bomb bay was arranged horizontally, not vertically. That didn't actually work, so the A-5 made its greatest contribution as a fast recon airplane over Vietnam.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I love the A5

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

simplefish posted:

I love the A5

The Vigilante is such a cool plane, but I just realized that I hardly know anything about it.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
The coolest thing about the Vigilante is that North American pitched a three-engine phoenix-armed version to the USAF. Easily the closest we will ever get to a Colonial Viper. The intakes on the top of the wing look like some animu business as well.

The regular A-5 was a horrible MX hog, and the squadron that operated off the carrier my pop was on had several full-time civilian North American tech reps on the boat working on them the entire cruise.

The linear bomb bay never really worked, and was often used for aux fuel. Unfortunately, that also never really worked, and would tend to deposit the fuel tanks on the deck due catapult launch induced incontinence.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Dec 16, 2016

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
That looks slick as hell, even if it probably would have been a horrible pig to actually fly and maintain.

I forget what aircraft it was (maybe an F-8 or A-7?), but I remember reading a story of a jet that got launched, and the engine just slid straight out the back and stayed on the deck. It was designed to slide out easily for maintenance, and the mechs had forgotten to secure it back in place properly.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

This counts as Aeronautical Insanity right? :stonklol:

Stay safe azflyboy

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Dec 16, 2016

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Why was it such an MX hog? It didn't have variable-geometry wings or anything, used a pretty standard engine, no pistons, and only 2 of em.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Platystemon posted:

This thread is about Lockheed Super Constellations.

Interesting, I Googled "Breitling Super Constellation" and the first match (I guess the official page) says:

quote:

For all passionate aviation enthusiasts, the Lockheed Super Constellation remains one of the finest symbols of the conquest of the skies.

:v:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Slo-Tek posted:

The coolest thing about the Vigilante is that North American pitched a three-engine phoenix-armed version to the USAF.

Was there ever an actually-produced three-engined combat jet?

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Previa_fun posted:

Hypothesis: Anything powered by a J79 was awesome.

Counterpoint - the most mediocre Viper of them all:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
If you don't like the way the Starfighter looks you're dead inside or blind.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Cat Mattress posted:

Martin made two prototypes of the XB-51, but lost out to the Canberra. (BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO)

http://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/detail.asp?aircraft_id=1210

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you don't like the way the Starfighter looks you're dead inside or blind.

That actually works, because the pilot can't see what it looks like from inside, also is dead.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The F-5 is just such a gorgeous little bastard.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Cat Mattress posted:

Not actually in production that I know of but heres a fun one:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_X-48

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

:holymoley:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Wingtip mounted missiles = best missiles

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

mlmp08 posted:

The F-5 is just such a gorgeous little bastard.

This reminds me, since NG still rebuilds these for some of the foreign airforces that use them, what happens to the ones Mexico decided to stop using? I'd think one of the many operators would want to pick them up on the cheap.

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/5261/the-mexican-air-force-no-longer-has-any-fighter-aircraft-in-its-inventory

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
F-104 was also the basis for the U-2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

CommieGIR posted:

F-104 was also the basis for the U-2