Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

He was their official reserve this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

learnincurve posted:

Massa didn't actually want to retire though, his sponsor got caught up in a massive political scandal and pulled out of all sponsorship deals. Which is the big issue here, it's if the new driver can bring as much sponsorship as Bottas, and if his money has been paid to Williams yet. Is Whirrrline worth paying Williams the difference to Toto? Williams won't give a monkeys about ability so long as they get paid.

Link.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Hammy is kinda playing it both ways with regards to his input. Earlier he said that unlike those scrubs who im so much better than, I dont have a clause for deciding my team mate. Now he's saying Merc are 'contractually' obliged to 'discuss' the candidates with me....

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

quote:

“They can put any driver they want – bring Sebastian [Vettel], Fernando [Alonso], bring whoever you really want. I drove against Fernando in my first year [at McLaren in 2007] and beat him, so that’s not a worry for me."

I really hope McLaren is competitive next year, and that Alonso has that quote taped to his steering wheel.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Apparently Martini contractually require one of the Williams drivers to be over 25 for marketing reasons, so Wehrlein's probably out anyway

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yeah, Pascal is 22, Lance 19.

I can see why that would be a problem for an alcohol title sponsor.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Depends on the wording, it might be that having DiResta as a reserve driver fulfils the requirement

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

You mean so long as it doesn't say "Must be over 25 and not a personality vacuum"?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm sure all those Martini corporate big wigs are clamoring to be able to have a drink with loving Paul Di Riesta at fancy sponsor functions.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Massa brought Petrobras to Williams http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/9172351/williams-announce-a-multi-year-partnership-with-oil-company-petrobras

Petrobras are in deep poo poo https://www.ft.com/content/6e8b0e28-f728-11e5-803c-d27c7117d132 that was in march, It's got even worse since then http://www.dw.com/en/brazil-prosecutors-and-odebrecht-executives-to-sign-worlds-biggest-plea-and-leniency-deal/a-36498882 http://www.dw.com/en/brazils-lula-accused-of-corruption-in-petrobras-scandal/a-36788225

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Tsaedje posted:

Depends on the wording, it might be that having DiResta as a reserve driver fulfils the requirement

"Well technically we did fulfill our contractual obligations" is sure to be well received when it comes time to renew the sponsorship contract.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Can you imagine the look of terror on Lewis's face when it's revealed that his teammate is going to be none other than Pastor Maldonado?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

El Hefe posted:

Can you imagine the look of terror on Lewis's face when it's revealed that his teammate is going to be none other than Pastor Maldonado?

Hell, I'd watch that.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Norns posted:

Hell, I'd watch that.

Of course you would because it'd be exciting and new and funny

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I really wish Are Rossie did a have a go for a second year. He clearly rattled Lewis pretty badly.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
That article about Hamilton is basically petulance.txt

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Bottas isn't going to rattle Their Lewis. It'll be Bottas and 2017 will be boring.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Yup, it's going to be Bottas and boring as poo poo. Any sort of championship upset was going to come from Mercedes drivers taking points off each other, which is pure fantasy with Bottas in that team.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Bottas could surprise, but even if he doesn't he's proven he's a reliable Nick Heidfeld "puts the car where it should be" driver.

As Rosberg proved this year, all you have to do is reliably get more or less the results the car can get and you can beat Lewis Hamilton if he's melting down.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

Bottas could surprise, but even if he doesn't he's proven he's a reliable Nick Heidfeld "puts the car where it should be" driver.

As Rosberg proved this year, all you have to do is reliably get more or less the results the car can get and you can beat Lewis Hamilton if he's melting down.

Thank you for keeping the Alonso dream alive.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Bottas isn't going to rattle Their Lewis. It'll be Bottas and 2017 will be boring.

:wrong: It won't be boring because with the new aero, Red Bull is going to stomp on Mercedes.

Max Verstappen WDC 2017 :unsmigghh:

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.
How the merry hell did Rickdickmongo win the Autosport driver of the year?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Rosberg had won races before 2014 and still had two years where he had to adjust his mindset and change his approach to get the championship.

Bottas could do it but he's got a lot bigger mountain to climb and has to put more work in. My biggest criticism is that he lacks the ability to punch above his weight, which is something Nico did quite well this year. He really has to just focus on getting some race wins and poles this year.

Brainwrong posted:

Red Bull at every opportunity: "Our drivers are absolutely the best, they're like 20 Sennas combined and it has nothing to do with us having the best chassis in the field."

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 16, 2016

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Brainwrong posted:

Because he's a good lad with talent.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Brainwrong posted:

Because giving it to a Merc driver is dumb because of the car, and Are Dan took 3rd in WDC.

Also because he has a fun personality instead of "Petulant" and "Bland".

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I mean. It woulda been max otherwise. Pick your battles.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

I mean. It woulda been max otherwise. Pick your battles.

I'd be ok with this.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I actually don't mind the Ricky dickster. He's a solid good driver that gets over hyped because "Red Bull". I'd place him ahead of Rosberg, but not by a huge amount.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Decided to watch '99. I can tell already this is going to be my kind of season, the start was a shitshow, tons of retirements and race leader Irvine struggling to get past a BAR with an engine about to blow up.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

1500quidporsche posted:

I actually don't mind the Ricky dickster. He's a solid good driver that gets over hyped because "Red Bull". I'd place him ahead of Rosberg, but not by a huge amount.

Rosberg won with the same principle as Kimi did in 2007, "the driver with most points at the end of the season is the winner, period."

If we start to take into account mechanical failures, then Kimi should have taken it in 2003, when he retired twice from a points position which would have given him the title. One of them was a dominant lead (2003 European GP).

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

iospace posted:

I'd be ok with this.
I'd not be ok with you being ok with that

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I'd not be ok with you being ok with that

:kheldragar:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The weirdest thing about this thread is the idea that Kimi wasn't once an extremely good and fast driver who just no longer cares or tries

Juuu
Sep 3, 2007
Wasn't me.

Der Kyhe posted:

If we start to take into account mechanical failures, then Kimi should have taken it in 2003, when he retired twice from a points position which would have given him the title. One of them was a dominant lead (2003 European GP).

In that case Kimi should get 2005 as well. He had two retirements during the season, both while leading the race after starting from pole. Alonso eventually won both of them.

It's kind of funny/sad to imagine a world with a 3xWDC Kimi and Alonso with only one.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
All of these "oh but if X hadn't had some DNFs then he would've been champion" are stupid because crashes, engine blow ups, hosed up pit stops and everything else are all part of racing, it's the person/team who can overcome all of that are the ones who deserve to be champion at the end of the season.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

The weirdest thing about this thread is the idea that Kimi wasn't once an extremely good and fast driver who just no longer cares or tries

He was always half hearted at certain races though. It was '06 where he just crashed out of Monaco and hosed tight off. Him being wildly inconsistent over the course of a season isn't a new thing.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

El Hefe posted:

All of these "oh but if X hadn't had some DNFs then he would've been champion" are stupid because crashes, engine blow ups, hosed up pit stops and everything else are all part of racing, it's the person/team who can overcome all of that are the ones who deserve to be champion at the end of the season.

Exactly. I find your posting style terrible most of the time, but this time we agree. The Hamilton fans crying "he was better but had poorer luck and/or loving German conspiracy" are loving annoying. Like the persona Hamilton displays outside being most of the time a very good Formula 1 driver.

Your golden boy lost, and Rosberg by any meaningful measurement won. Get over it. Or live in the world where Kimi is 3*WC and Alonso has only one.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

El Hefe posted:

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Now that the British Bleeding Heart Society is trying to get me probated I will also come out and say that yes, I miss having Maldonado in the grid. What does motorsports need? Excitement. Maldonado was certainly that. And as much as it hurts to say so, Bottas in the Mercedes and those N+1 "dontgiveashit"-drives in the back rows are certainly not that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
?

I don't know who you are Der Kyhe, did you have a name/AV change? Because I don't see your name on the secret vendetta list issued to us by the Queen.

• Locked thread