Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is it too late to get someone to make a Men of War Warhammer mod?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Psycho Landlord posted:

You mean the grav tanks? The tanks that are designed to fly as though they're on an air hockey table?
I... don't think so. They were red and kinda bulky so they're probably not grav tanks (spess mehreens don't use grav tanks, right?). My guess would be land raiders.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Poil posted:

I... don't think so. They were red and kinda bulky so they're probably not grav tanks (spess mehreens don't use grav tanks, right?). My guess would be land raiders.

I didn't even see space marines in the ork trailer, though I admit I probably wasn't paying attention. You talking about a different trailer?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Megasabin posted:

There's no way it's the same people making the game so less likely they forgot, and more like it's some B-list dev that's going to push out a mediocre game looking to cash in on the brand name one last time.

It actually IS a lot of the same folks. The lead designer has been at Relic since Dark Crusade.

This feels like a lot of executive meddling from SEGA or, more likely, Games Workshop.

We can only hope a lot of the physics stuff is just lacking polish at this point.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Dec 16, 2016

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mokinokaro posted:

This feels like a lot of executive meddling from SEGA or, more likely, Games Workshop.

I dunno about that, considering how well Total Warhammer's been doing for them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Games Workshop has been throwing out the license to anyone who wants it lately. It's not their fault what Relic is doing. More likely this looks like the budget for the game was slashed.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Mokinokaro posted:

It actually IS a lot of the same folks. The lead designer has been at Relic since Dark Crusade.

We can only hope a lot of the physics stuff is just lacking polish at this point.

That's super disappointing to hear. CoH and both Dawn of War games has a lot of passion in them, in both aesthetic and gameplay design. I can't imagine what someone who worked on those feels about putting out a product that looks like DoWIII currently does.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

DeathSandwich posted:

It's like they forgot all the fun animation, physics, and AI work they did in DoW 2. I loved that the units in 2 had a bit of self autonomy and would do things like duck and move for nearby cover when gunfights started.

yeah they're def going for the super predictable movement/firing style of RTS, i'd not be surprised if some units spit out synchronized volleys

it's a real shame that seems to be the prerogative across the boards tho, i can see why they would try to find a middle-ground between the chaotic but organic unpredictability of dow2 and more traditionally predictable RTSes since dow2 was often criticized for being uncompetitively random but their new slant seems way too heavy; there don't even seem to be unique death animations for getting splatted by a crit to liven up combat

e: i'd be lying if i said i'm going to miss losing models to ridiculous, non-linear pathing tho

hard counter fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Dec 16, 2016

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop
I'm going to need that ork music like immediately.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Deakul posted:

This honestly looks like a mobile game.

From the fantastic trailer to the slow reveal that it's a Starcraft 2 clone, this has been the biggest disappointment of the year imo.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Arcsquad12 posted:

Games Workshop has been throwing out the license to anyone who wants it lately. It's not their fault what Relic is doing. More likely this looks like the budget for the game was slashed.

so rather than the funding drying up near the end like in dow2, they just didn't give it poo poo to begin with

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Its kinda sad that for the first time Relics actually allocated the animation budget decently so they have more than 3 animation rigs per race and everyone wont stop crying about the animation. It being starcraft or not is gonna be a matter of resources and unit preservation, not units doing what you tell them to.

Artum fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Dec 16, 2016

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Artum posted:

Its kinda sad that for the first time Relics actually allocated the animation budget decently so they have more than 3 animation rigs per race and everyone wont stop crying about the animation. It being starcraft of not is gonna be a matter of resources and unit preservation, not units doing what you tell them to.

The animation looks like poo poo because nothing in these videos is reacting to getting hit, so there's no physics or weight to anything. Some bomb squigs run into a squad of eldar guys and blow up with huge explosions and the eldar remain standing stock still until they run out of HP and then fall over where they're standing in a puddle of blood. Four kanz go into combat with the eldar knight and neither of them react at all to each others' hits in the slightest, they just repeat the same attack animation until the knight falls over. The DoW franchise so far, for better or for worse, has been defined by the combat being a spectacle and having a really weighty feel to it. Units go flying when explosions go off near them or they get smashed by a dreadnought and troops react when they're being attacked instead of continuing their standard_idle_pose.

To give the game a chance, the individual units look good to me and I got a DoW1 vibe from the units exchanging fire in a lot of the little snippets. Aside from the total lack of physics or unit reactions to being hit, the only massive visual problem I saw was that melee combat was a massive messy particle shitfest.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
I know a lot of people are looking down on the competitive focus they're going for, but that's something I've been looking for in an RTS for a long while that will hopefully not release DOA. Starcraft was made to be difficult for the sake of being difficult. If I get to play a multiplayer RTS without being forced to micro my base every 2 seconds I'm already going to enjoy it.

That being said it is a little disapointing that the visuals won't exactly be up to their usual standard

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I know a lot of people are looking down on the competitive focus they're going for, but that's something I've been looking for in an RTS for a long while that will hopefully not release DOA. Starcraft was made to be difficult for the sake of being difficult. If I get to play a multiplayer RTS without being forced to micro my base every 2 seconds I'm already going to enjoy it.

That being said it is a little disapointing that the visuals won't exactly be up to their usual standard

Having to build buildings and do unit upgrade research like dow1 isn't something I'm particularly looking forward to, but everything about the unit combat is pretty much exactly what I wanted for a sequel to 1 and 2 so I'll put up with it.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Kanos posted:

The animation looks like poo poo because nothing in these videos is reacting to getting hit, so there's no physics or weight to anything

disruption was a key mechanic in dow2 but was one of the features that was prone to a bit of randomness, fights between different units both specialized for melee often came down to which unit got the first lucky knockback that domino'd the other blob, that would lead to unpredictably one-sided wipes

i can see why they would tweak disruption but (apparently) eliminating it altogether is too much of a simplification imho

Artum posted:

Its kinda sad that for the first time Relics actually allocated the animation budget decently so they have more than 3 animation rigs per race and everyone wont stop crying about the animation.

we've already discussed the return of base building tho, and the elimination of the retreat mechanic because unit preservation has been given a shifted focus in dow3

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If by shifted focus you mean nonexistent. Doesn't even look like they have field replenishment like the first game

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Arcsquad12 posted:

If by shifted focus you mean nonexistent. Doesn't even look like they have field replenishment like the first game

...yes? Thats the point? it was no effort in 1 because everything was constantly ticking over reinforcement in combat, it only started being a thing in 2 when you needed a base or transport and its limited to buildings and stuff like drop pods now.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yeah, in the developer commentary I watched they mentioned there's field replenishment, but it can only be done at a base or near an APC, just like in DoW2. I like that change, but with the removal of a retreat button, I don't think it's gonna happen often.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
I've been a die-hard DOW fan for years but every time they release something new my expectations drop. There's absolutely no life to the battles and everything seems like one blob vs another. There's no dynamism or chaos in the battles (and like a previous poster said, no "weight" to anything). Also, the battle sizes (which they have been touting as a center piece) aren't much bigger than what occurred in DoW2. A few walkers, 50 or so infantry and a tank or two was possible in DoW2

Ugh. I want this to do well but everything they're doing is turning me off.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Starcraft 2 was made unfun because it was designed for increased competitive focus however Dawn of War 3 will be made fun because it was designed for increased competitive focus

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
After seeing some of the previews a few months back, and recently playing Starcraft 2... yeah, this definitely looks like a Starcraft 2 clone. What the hell happened, did all the money go to the trailer?

I think the problem is, they can never recreate what they had with DoW 1 because it just blew any RTS made before and after that year out of the water by striking the balance of your units being much more important, vulnerable when countered, yet overall much less expendable in their own rights, with one example having cool as loving hell melee units that had special animations once their killed somebody.

After fine-tuning and crafting a winner like Company of Heroes after that, where could they go from there? I don't know. DoW 2 sure as poo poo felt like a much slower version of CoH.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Fargin Icehole posted:

After fine-tuning and crafting a winner like Company of Heroes after that, where could they go from there? I don't know. DoW 2 sure as poo poo felt like a much slower version of CoH.

I've said it before, but I'd have been happy if they tried to make DOW3 like that pre-vis DOW2 video.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
I built my first computer because I wanted something amazing to run DoW 2. I was a huge DoW 1 fan and played every single expansion.

I never thought I'd be so disappointed in a DoW game. 3 looks like a huge disappointment so far. Nothing they've shown so far has looked good. This is coming from someone who played SC2 religiously for a few years every night. That's not what I want from DoW, but given that they gave it to iNcontrol to demo, shows that SC2 is the direction they're going for.

Really sad right now.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Mordja posted:

I've said it before, but I'd have been happy if they tried to make DOW3 like that pre-vis DOW2 video.

Could you link to that? I'd be interested in seeing it.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
I'll probably buy it day one. DoW is the only series I have played every game all the way through multiple times. It looks kind of cell shaded. Bummer.

I hope Tyranids are released in the 1st expansion.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

DarkAvenger211 posted:

You realize that Starcraft was made difficult for the sake of being difficult specifically and precisely because it had a competitive focus, right? Most of the added macromanagement mechanics in Starcraft 2 were added specifically because modern pathfinding and unit selection meant that pros found the game far too easy to play.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

SRM posted:

Could you link to that? I'd be interested in seeing it.

Sure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzVlpUf7e5w

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm worried that the dynamic camera is missing. Holding down alt and swinging right onto the action was brilliant

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Kanos posted:

You realize that Starcraft was made difficult for the sake of being difficult specifically and precisely because it had a competitive focus, right? Most of the added macromanagement mechanics in Starcraft 2 were added specifically because modern pathfinding and unit selection meant that pros found the game far too easy to play.

I still remember when the game was in development and how many people argued against the many quality of life improvements because it made the game "take less skill"

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
That was neat, thanks for sharing!

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm worried that the dynamic camera is missing. Holding down alt and swinging right onto the action was brilliant
I'd be genuinely surprised and disappointed if this wasn't there.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Cinematic and Leader showcase for DOW3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBTa33dCmMM

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The artwork in that video looked fantastic, it's too bad the actual game looks completely different from that. I really think the game would look much better if they just took a more realistic visual approach, right now it looks like a techno blur of purples/yellows from guns/melee and none of it makes any sense. It's far too cartoonish.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
40K is super cartoonish tbh. It's just super violent cartoons

My issue is that there needs to be more impact and feedback going on in the action or it looks too sterile

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
One thing they haven't really show off is the sound design which I feel is Relic's strongest suit even when they faulter in other area (sound effect and voice acting remain top notch in CoH2). Hopefully DOW3 can at least maintain that aspect.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

pedro0930 posted:

One thing they haven't really show off is the sound design which I feel is Relic's strongest suit even when they faulter in other area (sound effect and voice acting remain top notch in CoH2). Hopefully DOW3 can at least maintain that aspect.

People are too caught up in Gabriel Angelos having a different voice actor to notice anything else, unfortunately. I mean, that does suck, but everything else sounds pretty good to me so far.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

Kanos posted:

Yeah I realize that.

I know this is a bit subjective but to me you can still have a competitive game that focuses on fun parts of the game (Unit/ability micro, controlling armies in a big battle) and not the boring tedious stuff required to win (worker micro, building micro). When I play Starcraft all I want to do is build up a big army of different dudes and use their abilities to help me win big fights. I wish I could turn on autobuild and not worry about supply and all that poo poo but instead I need to focus on all of it which gets in the way of the fun part to me. I like base building, I don't like queuing up 5 guys at a time (which is also bad cause of floating resources, etc..) and constantly swapping back and forth between my base and a fight.

Grey Goo was a fantastic RTS I wish people still played. It went almost a little too far with the simplification though, units didn't have active abilities but there was still a lot of uniqueness between them. The game lasted like a month or 2 before the multiplayer population just died.

I'm not saying DoW3 will fix all these problems, but judging from their past games they usually focus more on the fighting and less on the building. Won't really know for sure until people play it.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what you just said is basically Men of War and it just furthers the point that the Men of War team should be doing a 40k game.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Grey Goo was a fantastic RTS I wish people still played. It went almost a little too far with the simplification though, units didn't have active abilities but there was still a lot of uniqueness between them. The game lasted like a month or 2 before the multiplayer population just died.

As much as I'm enjoying Grey Goo, having just started playing it, it feels like it suffers from trying to be Starcraft 2-lite combined with Command and Conquer and doesn't stand out in any particularly interesting way as a result. It's all technically good, it's just not interesting.

i.e. what I fear DOW3 will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I walked away from this but looking at that eldar video it more or less looks like what i want out of dawn of war. That is, maybe i can hope for a single player experience thats not a loving gussied up RPG. I don't give a poo poo about competitive multiplayer, sc2 thoroughly burned me out. I just wanna build bases and shoot dudes and im glad to see it in a world that thinks baseless cover hopping is where the rts world needs to be despite that being exactly where the genre evolved into a dead end of mobas and ARPG-like experiences that frankly suck.

• Locked thread