Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

zegermans posted:

I see no difference in factual basis or partisanship between swiftboating and the FBI email investigation, and people have constantly said "maybe don't nominate a person under FBI investigation?!"

your abuela was terrible

good thing she's done now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Fiction posted:

I think my literal autistic rage comes from the fact that Hillary set herself up for a run for eight years and in that time learned nothing from her mistakes and lost an easy election to a reality TV star. When Trump puts me and the rest of the erbkranken in the camps I'll know who to blame, and it won't be Michael Tracey.

This is what gets me. Most of the basis of my support was the illusion during the primary that she was running a tighter ship. She just got better at hiding it.
Really I'm mad at Obama more than anyone though. I didn't realize how much of a lovely blairite he was, and he get less than nothing for his compramises

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

She just got better at hiding it.

no the signs were there, everyone was just distracted by trump

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/aterkel/status/809771495975174144

Tulsi 2020!!!!!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Terror Sweat posted:

no the signs were there, everyone was just distracted by trump

This. There was also a predominant wisdom that you shouldn't express any concerns with the campaign, or else that might hurt it. So people who saw the signs didn't raise a stink about them, or assumed they wouldn't matter.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Who cares if she'll glass the middle east, she'll be great domestically. Like a female Hindi extremist LBJ.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...2bb7_story.html

:qq: FBI Broken!!!!! :qq:

Dude, I wish the FBI sent me a fuckin e-mail everytime a russian bro tries to hack my steam account but I have loving TWO FACTOR YOU LITERAL OLD RETARD.

Maybe learning to use a computer should be a requirement of centrist DNC piece of poo poo officials. If you think the solution to chronic unemployment in the upper midwest is teaching 50 year olds to loving code then the least you can loving do is learn how to use an e-mail account.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

If Kerry was a better candidate running a more appealing campaign it wouldn't have mattered that they got some guys to say some poo poo about his war record

And if Clinton was a better candidate running a more appealing campaign it wouldn't have mattered that they got Comey to say "maybe an email thing?????"

like seriously can we all agree that any defense of the John loving Kerry campaign is either misguided or disingenuous

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

al gore ran a bad campaign too. all the losers were bad! all the ones i can remember anyway

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

sure thats obvious but i mean really, joe lieberman?????? come on al gore, you are responsible for isis

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

loquacius posted:

If Kerry was a better candidate running a more appealing campaign it wouldn't have mattered that they got some guys to say some poo poo about his war record

And if Clinton was a better candidate running a more appealing campaign it wouldn't have mattered that they got Comey to say "maybe an email thing?????"

like seriously can we all agree that any defense of the John loving Kerry campaign is either misguided or disingenuous

Well the thing is you need to appeal to moderate Republicans to LOSE EVERY drat RACE YOU GODDAMN PARTY OF SLIGHTLY MORE SOCIALLY CONSCIOUS MILLIONAIRES! Be sure to register to vote!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

blamegame posted:

al gore ran a bad campaign too. all the losers were bad! all the ones i can remember anyway

I have very little memory of the Al Gore campaign but Gore himself was not charismatic in the least and that hurt him

I think it was a similar thing to HRC (minus Sanders), he was basically unopposed in the primary because he was the successor to the highly-popular outgoing administration, and they figured that was enough to win the general, I guess because that worked for the Republicans in 1988, and it almost was.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

note that the only person defending kerry's campaign is zegermans

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Dems are like "YOU CAN'T DO THIS!" every time someone can do something bad

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The 2004 election happened when I was a teenager, and the Kerry campaign is the archetypal "bad presidential campaign" in my mind

Like, my memory of it is that they led with "Kerry 2004: Let's Get Rid Of George Bush" and the Republicans were like "Kerry is a flip-flopper who doesn't actually stand for anything and changes his mind with the wind based on what is currently convenient *counts money, kills more people*" and the Democrats were like "I'll tell you what John Kerry stands for, he stands for GETTING RID OF GEORGE BUSH" and boy oh boy did that ever not work

also I'm super disappointed in Tulsi Gabbard :sigh:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

tulsi gabbard will be one of the last casualties of realpolitik

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

loquacius posted:

The 2004 election happened when I was a teenager, and the Kerry campaign is the archetypal "bad presidential campaign" in my mind

Like, my memory of it is that they led with "Kerry 2004: Let's Get Rid Of George Bush" and the Republicans were like "Kerry is a flip-flopper who doesn't actually stand for anything and changes his mind with the wind based on what is currently convenient *counts money, kills more people*" and the Democrats were like "I'll tell you what John Kerry stands for, he stands for GETTING RID OF GEORGE BUSH" and boy oh boy did that ever not work

also I'm super disappointed in Tulsi Gabbard :sigh:

Centrism cannot fail, it can only be failed.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I would have thought that if you could learn two lessons from the 2004 election, they'd be "make sure your campaign has a clear message and campaigns on it strongly so that your opponent does not control the talking points" and "negative campaigning is not enough by itself"

but we did not learn those lessons because they were crowded out of our collective minds by "demonize third-party voters", boy did we ever learn that one

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i want to see footage of democrats saying their plans for government are "revenue neutral" and then neil breen making them shoot themselves in the head

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

loquacius posted:

I would have thought that if you could learn two lessons from the 2004 election, they'd be "make sure your campaign has a clear message and campaigns on it strongly so that your opponent does not control the talking points" and "negative campaigning is not enough by itself"

but we did not learn those lessons because they were crowded out of our collective minds by "demonize third-party voters", boy did we ever learn that one
there wasn't even a third party in the 2004 election, let that one sink in for a bit

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Tulsi: We need to stop doing all this dumbass regime change in the Middle East!

Me: :yeah:

Tulsi: ...because Muslims are savage animals who don't deserve our help.

Me: :stare:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

If you run a purely negative campaign, and your opponent also runs a purely negative campaign, the result is not that the person with stronger negatives loses, the result is that the Republicans win

Because an all-negative campaign convinces people that there's no point in voting, and low turnout favors the GOP every time. Give people a reason to vote for you, not a reason not to vote for your opponent. This isn't hard.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

there wasn't even a third party in the 2004 election, let that one sink in for a bit
Nah, Nader ran again, just everyone ignored him because of 2000.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

loquacius posted:

If you run a purely negative campaign, and your opponent also runs a purely negative campaign, the result is not that the person with stronger negatives loses, the result is that the Republicans win

Because an all-negative campaign convinces people that there's no point in voting, and low turnout favors the GOP every time. Give people a reason to vote for you, not a reason not to vote for your opponent. This isn't hard.
"but if we actually campaigned on our platform we'd scare off wall street investors" --a bad dem says, as he is fed into the soylent machine along with other "undesirables"

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

"but if we actually campaigned on our platform we'd scare off wall street investors" --a bad dem says, as he is fed into the soylent machine along with other "undesirables"

money money

must be funny

in a rich man's world

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Nice. Good article.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

zegermans posted:

I see no difference in factual basis or partisanship between swiftboating and the FBI email investigation, and people have constantly said "maybe don't nominate a person under FBI investigation?!"

Are you still melting down because trumps "grab'em by the pussy" didn't matter, exactly like I said pre-election night? Whereas the thing people have been talking about since 2015, the emails, actually did, and should, matter?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

loquacius posted:

I have very little memory of the Al Gore campaign but Gore himself was not charismatic in the least and that hurt him

I think it was a similar thing to HRC (minus Sanders), he was basically unopposed in the primary because he was the successor to the highly-popular outgoing administration, and they figured that was enough to win the general, I guess because that worked for the Republicans in 1988, and it almost was.

Despite my horrifying realization earlier that 2000 and 2016 were very similar elections, there are a few differences; Gore wasn't scandal-ridden, he was just kind of boring, and decided (or it was decided for him) that distancing himself from the (weakened by scandal but still very popular) Clinton Administration was the best thing for his campaign, which was probably not the case.

Choosing Joe loving Lieberman as his running mate sure didn't help counter the THEY'RE BOTH THE SAME narrative that gave rise to Nader's candidacy, though. And George W. Bush was campaigning as basically a lovable moderate puppy. I'm kind of astonished it ended up as close as it did, to be honest.

Gore ended up becoming one of those people I like a lot better when he's not running for office.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

zegermans posted:

Who cares if she'll glass the middle east, she'll be great domestically. Like a female Hindi extremist LBJ.

Agreed. Unlike Hillary, who wants to glass the middle east and still be absolute garbage with her domestic policies.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

...we should run someone who can convincingly portray a lovable moderate puppy in 2020. (Not someone who actually IS one, but who can pretend to be one right up until five minutes after the oath of office when HAHAHAHA SUCKERS I'M IN CHARGE ONE THOUSAND YEARS OF FULL COMMUNISM comes out.)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

docbeard posted:

...we should run someone who can convincingly portray a lovable moderate puppy in 2020.
We tried that in 2004 and it didn't take

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

docbeard posted:

...we should run someone who can convincingly portray a lovable moderate puppy in 2020. (Not someone who actually IS one, but who can pretend to be one right up until five minutes after the oath of office when HAHAHAHA SUCKERS I'M IN CHARGE ONE THOUSAND YEARS OF FULL COMMUNISM comes out.)

No we should run a firebrand that calls Trump a piece of poo poo and literally tells Wall Street bankers that he will seize 100% of their assets at the start of a RICO investigation on Jan 21st, 2021.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

note that the only person defending kerry's campaign is zegermans

haha this is exactly the point I'm making - "Hey person and their policies sucked, also externalities were bad. How do we fix both?" "stop defending them! The externalities didn't exist or where actually good things!"

Do you want an autographed copy of Clinton Cash for your SASS?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

No we should run a firebrand that calls Trump a piece of poo poo and literally tells Wall Street bankers that he will seize 100% of their assets at the start of a RICO investigation on Jan 21st, 2021.

this unironically

Serf
May 5, 2011

:yeah:

we need to run a candidate who speaks to the working class (the 99%) about how corrupt Wall Street is and how we are gonna take their wealth and use it to pay normal Americans back for the work they've done

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
You can stop us! There are dozens of us!!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Serf posted:

:yeah:

we need to run a candidate who speaks to the working class (the 99%) about how corrupt Wall Street is and how we are gonna take their wealth and use it to pay normal Americans back for the work they've done

that sounds like communism to me and communism is evil and godless

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Yeah pretty much.

A new political language for a new time.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014
Of course there will be no 2020 election after Obama's press conference today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Trump/Tulsi 2020

• Locked thread