Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Milky Moor posted:

I'm willing to bet the reshots were to add in Tarkin and Vader. I mean, I liked having them both in the film, but neither of them really did anything.

lol what? vader tearing up that rebel ship was incredibly suspenseful and the highlight of the film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

lol what? vader tearing up that rebel ship was incredibly suspenseful and the highlight of the film

It's a great scene, don't get me wrong, but it feels like 'poo poo, we need to have Vader in this film - uh, have him talk to the antagonist guy halfway through, and then slice up a bunch of Rebels at the end'.

I figured Vader would have more of a presence throughout the film, based on the trailers. The shot where Krennic is drenched and staring up at him in fear isn't in the film at all.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Milky Moor posted:

It's a great scene, don't get me wrong, but it feels like 'poo poo, we need to have Vader in this film - uh, have him talk to the antagonist guy halfway through, and then slice up a bunch of Rebels at the end'.

I figured Vader would have more of a presence throughout the film, based on the trailers. The shot where Krennic is drenched and staring up at him in fear isn't in the film at all.

Fair enough. I usually avoid trailers so I wasn't aware of that.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Imo it really feels to me like the "Vader murders a roomful of rebel mooks" scene was, initially, going to be literally his only scene in the movie and that Krennic's visit to JRPG Final Boss Planet was added wholly in the reshoots.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

The Cameo posted:

Michael Giacchino had four and a half weeks to write the score for this since he was a last-minute replacement for Alexandre Desplat, who was originally scoring the film and had become unavailable to alter/write new cues due to the reshoots creating a scheduling conflict.

Giacchino had like maybe a week between wrapping on his Doctor Strange score and doing this one.

So the beige wallpaper feel of the score could be chalked up to Disney's sudden case of cold feet on whatever the original Edwards version of the movie was. No time to properly write/integrate themes and build a score alongside the directors and editors and sound designers.

Also the score is perhaps the most Star Wars-y thing they could come up with. Somewhere between the original trilogy and the prequels John Williams got a new style that he stuck with even in TFA. Giacchino's score is just a dead ringer for something Williams might have written back in the 80s. I really kinda dig it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Imo it really feels to me like the "Vader murders a roomful of rebel mooks" scene was, initially, going to be literally his only scene in the movie and that Krennic's visit to JRPG Final Boss Planet was added wholly in the reshoots.

Honestly that would have been a lot more effective. Spend the entire film building up to Vader and then boom.

Also plus side: We'd have avoided the loving dad joke, which easily eclipses anything in the PT for the Worst Thing Done With Darth Vader.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

maybe. i am curious to see how the original would have turned out.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly that would have been a lot more effective. Spend the entire film building up to Vader and then boom.

Also plus side: We'd have avoided the loving dad joke, which easily eclipses anything in the PT for the Worst Thing Done With Darth Vader.

Dad Joke Vader is kind of amazing. Like, I know it's bad, but the fact that someone wrote Vader a pun and it made it into an actual Star Wars movie is great and I love it.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Vader's always had a bit of sass.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Fair enough. I usually avoid trailers so I wasn't aware of that.

My guess based on the trailers was that Krennic and Vader were together for most of the film, like Tarkin and Vader in ANH. Krennic keeps loving up, over and over, and Vader eventually decides to handle things himself, probably killing Krennic in the process in response to his numerous failures. This would also fit with Tarkin being in command in ANH.

It wasn't just that scene. There's another bit from one of the trailers where Krennic is talking to Vader and says something like "The power that we are dealing with here".

It's weird. I love the film but I'd also love to know what the development process of this thing was. What was never in there, what was added, what was 'fixed'...

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

Vader's always had a bit of sass.

"Apology Accepted, Captain Needa" comes to mind

busfahrer
Feb 9, 2012

Ceterum censeo
Carthaginem
esse delendam

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Dad Joke Vader is kind of amazing. Like, I know it's bad, but the fact that someone wrote Vader a pun and it made it into an actual Star Wars movie is great and I love it.

Wait, I'm not aware of dad joke Vader, what are you referring to?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
He chokes a man and then warns him not to choke!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

busfahrer posted:

Wait, I'm not aware of dad joke Vader, what are you referring to?

"Don't choke on your ambitions"

Movie was good, enjoyed it more than TFA for sure

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Why did they go through the trouble of giving pilots cameos and neglect JEK loving PORKINS?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Dad Joke Vader is kind of amazing. Like, I know it's bad,

Why is it bad

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Vader says: "Don't choke on your aspirations."

One, it's a thing because Vader is force choking the overly ambitious Krennic as he says it.

Two, there's also the fact that aspiration is another term for breathing.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Tarkin didn't look perfect but I'm glad they just said "gently caress it here's how he looks!" instead of always having him behind a fish tank

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
"Aspirations" is some solid loving word play.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

The first Vader scene was kind of pointless but it's cool to see that he spends his downtime chilling in a bacta tank. Also was that supposed to be Mustafar? Is his base on the planet where he got his poo poo completely pushed in?

Another nerd question, is this the first time "in canon" that Y Wings actually bomb anything? They looked exactly like the ion bombs in Rogue Leader on the Gamecube. Acutally the whole climax of the movie reminded me of that game in a really good way.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

robot roll call posted:

Also was that supposed to be Mustafar? Is his base on the planet where he got his poo poo completely pushed in?

Looked more like Sullust to me but Mustafar would make more thematic sense.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Holy poo poo a Star Wars movie with an actually cool space battle, we haven't had that since loving 1983.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Psycho Landlord posted:

Holy poo poo a Star Wars movie with an actually cool space battle, we haven't had that since loving 1983.

I really didn't realize how much i missed actual space battles in Star Wars until this I admit. I mean the PT kinda had some but they were pretty anemic.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
CEILING STRIKE, MOTHERFUCKERS!

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Ah! The Vader scene is down from the link! I need it again! Movie is amazing! Seeing it again Sunday.

Edit. Found it. So great. Yes, CGI isn't there yet, but it's drat close. One too many callbacks maybe. Doesn't matter. So good.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Dec 16, 2016

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

"Apology Accepted, Captain Needa" comes to mind

Exactly. Vader has a long tradition of showing a (very) dark sense of humour:

"I find your lack of faith disturbing"

"The emperor is not as forgiving as I am!"

That whole scene at the beginning of ANH also comes to mind, when he chokes a rebel to death and expect him to answer his questions at the same time. I always took it as a morbid joke of sorts.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
It was pretty fun but it's main failings was the plotting of the final act. It's needlessly complicated and completely inorganic and artificial to just give people something to do. And large parts of it were also on their face redundant. There was an entirely too long exposition scene just to detail subsection U of part 3 of the plan (clause 5) which had the goal of doing the thing that people already were trying to do and didn't need to be told it needed to be done. I really long for the rather straightforward stuff for all of the plans in essentially all of the other Star Wars movies. This one definitely looked at Return of the Jedi and said "Needs more steps". Outside of the last act plotting issues, there's one location too many as well (which is a Star Wars problem since TPM I guess).

The only other gripe was people posing for outcomes instead of just trying and having the chips fall where they may.

That all said, a fun experience. Some nice characters who felt memorable and it meshes well with the OT. If the plot of the last act had been tightened up and they didn't pose so much I'd have said it was better than The Force Awakens.

Seriously though why not just let the ship transmit and point the tower dish downward to the ship instead of pointing at the sky. The cable and the switch silliness to tell the fleet that they need to take down the shield? They were already doing that because even the movie knows it's obvious. Totally isolated from anything Jyn was doing and redundant with the space battle so it was pointless busywork.

Could have been the two warriors die distracting troops, Jyn and the other guy go up in the tower to get the date and point the dish, and the pilot keeps the ship alive long enough to relay the message. Why not at least let the guy who says "pilot" twenty times just fly around?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
The biggest change that seems to be reshoot related is that jyn actually fought on the beaches at one point. I'd guess that a lot of reshoot work involved her just walking in and taking the lift out because the stuff in the trailers can't fit. Beyond that, who knows

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Dying on the beach is literally my favorite scene of Star Wars, ever. That loving cocktail of desperation and romance is extremely my poo poo.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

CGI Tarkins and Leia were not a positive for me at all.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Nitrousoxide posted:

CGI Tarkins and Leia were not a positive for me at all.

The later Tarkin shots, where he wasn't moving or expressing much and was alone in the shot worked alright but yeah the first one and any full body looked extremely off.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The Leia scene was absolutely terrible and unnecessary, but idk about Tarkin. Recasting Cushing convincingly might've been difficult, because most moviegoers aren't going to have a loving clue who he is unless MAYBE if he looks identical, whereas Leia has the most iconic hair in the eight-film franchise.

And I wouldn't wanna give Tarkin up. It's pretty amazing that he literally shoots his rival with the Death Star out of spite.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The big problem with Tarkin is that his face moves too loving much. I didn't have a huge problem with Leia because Carrie Fisher circa 1977 was already basically a CGI anime character made flesh, but Tarkin was bad because his facial movement rigging is all hosed up and out of sync.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Tarkin is an ice cold motherfucker.

I love it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Peter Cushing's Tarkin at that stage was already like, human skin stretched over skull, so CGI Tarkin wasn't distractingly bad. CGI Leia was.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Not gonna lie, after everyone talking about them in this thread, one of the main things I'm looking forward to seeing now is freaky CGI undead or de-aged actors. I didn't watch the Vader leaked video, but I would totally check out leaked video of unholy uncanny valley poo poo.

edit: All I can find so far is this weird video with still shots. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI4ZbOecKMs

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 16, 2016

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Pops Mgee posted:

Why did they go through the trouble of giving pilots cameos and neglect JEK loving PORKINS?

The film wasn't made by top men.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
One thing I never really noticed until this last week was that Janson in ESB was like the happiest pilot alive. Everybody else was "ok we have a job to do" and he's just happy to be up there.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

One thing I never really noticed until this last week was that Janson in ESB was like the happiest pilot alive. Everybody else was "ok we have a job to do" and he's just happy to be up there.

That's pretty typical of war movies in general. Billy Crystal has a bit about this somewhere (that I can't find right now) that goes something like (paraphrasing from, like, decade old memory), "In war movies there's always a happy excited guy who's the first to go. He's usually named Bronx or Brooklyn, and he'll say, 'When I get home, the first thing I'm gonna do is go to Yankees stadium! And I'm gonna get the biggest hot dog! And I'm gonn-' *bang*".

edit: Listened to the soundtrack on Spotify, and everyone saying it's dull is spot on. It's somewhat an attempt to mimic Williams from the 80's, but it's mostly bland, and I'm struggling to remember anything I just listened to. TFA had at least 3 tracks I fell in love with immediately. This hints at themes Williams used, but never does anything interesting with them.

I guess it's not fair to compare anyone to Williams, but when you take the job of composing a Star Wars movie...that's going to happen.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 16, 2016

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
It's one of giachianos weaker pieces. He's normally excellent, but, you know, one month to score a movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
can any of you nerds tell me the exact variant of the black pilot or operator or whatever suit Jyn wears when she does the sneaky sneaky on Scarif?

• Locked thread