Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
excuse me, but if you'll just look at this graph, I think you'll find that our translation performs objectively better in all relevant metrics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
They also said MangaGamers translation is backed by R07 and theirs isn't so that kind of decides things. Especially for a work like this, trying to guess what the writer meant instead of asking him directly is never going to give you better results.

The guys on that project should spend their time translating games that don't have a translation yet. As good as Umineko is, it doesn't need 3 different translations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
All I know is that I was able to enjoy and theorize along with everyone else just fine with the original fan translation. I'm sure there are specific moments that were ultimately less clear than they "should" have been but when the thing was all over and I was able to look back on the work as a whole, I didn't feel blindsided in the slightest; it more or less all made sense to my recollection (keeping in mind that it would have been a couple of years between reading EP1 and EP8, of course).

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Oh yeah, absolutely. Witch Hunt did a great job. The MG translation is actually based on that one and the original team members helped touch it up.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

So, the Dies Irae kickstarter went live: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1986219362/dies-irae-english-localization-project-commences

It'll launch on Steam in May, it seems. That is basically the biggest, nerdiest action VN in Japan and has become absurdly popular there. An anime adaptation was kickstarted earlier this year and will air next october. Pretty much all the Japanese VN readers out there have obsessed over this game over the years so it's neat to see it finally happening in English.

edit: Correction, May, not March.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Dec 16, 2016

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Looks like a few folks from the S;G project are working on it. I'm excited! Dies Irae is one of the big 2 or 3 'holy grails' of translation that are awesome but too hard for normal fan groups to translate. I tried playing it and couldn't make it past the first scene due to poetic + military kanji hodgepodge. Can't wait to get the no-headache English version.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, it's basically a merging of the Tokyo Babel translation team (a pretty good game in the genre with a great translation) and the Steins;Gate translation team.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

So, the Dies Irae kickstarter went live: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1986219362/dies-irae-english-localization-project-commences

It'll launch on Steam in March, it seems. That is basically the biggest, nerdiest action VN in Japan and has become absurdly popular there. An anime adaptation was kickstarted earlier this year and will air next october. Pretty much all the Japanese VN readers out there have obsessed over this game over the years so it's neat to see it finally happening in English.

I looked go for English reviews but so far not much. What kind of VN is it?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I haven't played it and I don't know of any reviews off-hand, but I've heard a lot of people talk about it. It's been likened to Fate/Stay Night. The protagonist is a teenager who gets caught in a city-wide extended battle between supernatural forces. Except this time it's time-traveling magical nazis wreaking havoc instead of... other time-traveling magical historical figures. There's a heavy focus on characterization and people seem to really love several of the characters from it. It's also apparently written in a very complex and difficult to read manner (at least, it was in the Japanese version), and is considered one of the most challenging Japanese visual novels to read. It tends to reference tons of western philosophers and randomly delves into philosophical discussions. The battle scenes are all very elaborate and almost corny, in an entertaining way, with elaborate battle chants and special moves and such. Basically, it resonates strongly with the "chuuni" fans out there, hitting a ton of the dorky teenage power fantasy chords.

There's the idea that it may be overhyped by people who fall in love with the complex prose, or those who wish to feel superior to others for being able to read a difficult Japanese work. The former may not carry over well in an English translation and the latter definitely won't matter. But it's also huge in Japan, so it must be doing something right. It seems to have enough other qualities to be worth a shot. People thought it would never be translated because no fan translator would be crazy enough to translate such a complex and difficult work for free, and no visual novel translation company can afford to hire translators who are competent enough. The people they recruited for translation have all done great work in the past, though, so maybe they can pull it off.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 16, 2016

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I'm excited because of dat op

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTxWYSda7uY

Also I'm really happy because last night I finally figured out how to play my VNs again. After getting married I don't have much 'sit down in front of the computer alone for hours' time anymore since that time is now all hanging out with my wife time. So not much chance to play Steam games. Well I found a program called Remotr that can stream your desktop to a tablet. I don't know how it would work for more complicated games, but it displays VNs just fine. Now I can read it just about anywhere while still being in the same room as my wife, which works out just fine. Finally time to knuckle down and work through my VN backlog. (Note: No I'm not ignoring my wife while doing this. I am mostly doing it during the time in the evening we normally dedicate to reading before bed and watching old sitcoms we've already seen before as background noise)

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Getsuya posted:

I'm excited because of dat op

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTxWYSda7uY

Also I'm really happy because last night I finally figured out how to play my VNs again. After getting married I don't have much 'sit down in front of the computer alone for hours' time anymore since that time is now all hanging out with my wife time. So not much chance to play Steam games. Well I found a program called Remotr that can stream your desktop to a tablet. I don't know how it would work for more complicated games, but it displays VNs just fine. Now I can read it just about anywhere while still being in the same room as my wife, which works out just fine. Finally time to knuckle down and work through my VN backlog. (Note: No I'm not ignoring my wife while doing this. I am mostly doing it during the time in the evening we normally dedicate to reading before bed and watching old sitcoms we've already seen before as background noise)

I'll have to give Remotr a shot. I've been looking to do the same thing and Moonlight kind of freaks out on some VNs. It doesn't register taps as clicks in Higurashi. :shrug:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I read vn's with my wife, you could always try it , Getsuya

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Sea Sponge Run posted:

I read vn's with my wife, you could always try it , Getsuya

She doesn't like anime. At all.

Irritated Goat posted:

I'll have to give Remotr a shot. I've been looking to do the same thing and Moonlight kind of freaks out on some VNs. It doesn't register taps as clicks in Higurashi. :shrug:

Higurashi happens to be what I read last night so I can confirm it works just fine.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

sever

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Wait no she likes Ghibli movies! She's still okay!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Eh Ghibli's overrated.

Or at least I've never cared for them.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 16, 2016

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Getsuya posted:

She doesn't like anime. At all.

Higurashi happens to be what I read last night so I can confirm it works just fine.

I used splashtop to read a couple things and it was fine

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Raxivace posted:

Eh Ghibli's overrated.

Or at least I've never cared for them.

Hey I'd get her into other stuff if I could but nothing I've tried has worked. It's bizarre because she loves Harry Potter to death and I don't think it's a very large step at all from Harry Potter to, say, Fullmetal Alchemist. But no dice.

Well she sort of liked Silver Spoon but only watched a few eps before going back to her old sitcoms. I mean what anime do you pick for a girl who's favorite shows are I Love Lucy and Golden Girls?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Getsuya posted:

Hey I'd get her into other stuff if I could but nothing I've tried has worked. It's bizarre because she loves Harry Potter to death and I don't think it's a very large step at all from Harry Potter to, say, Fullmetal Alchemist. But no dice.

Well she sort of liked Silver Spoon but only watched a few eps before going back to her old sitcoms. I mean what anime do you pick for a girl who's favorite shows are I Love Lucy and Golden Girls?
It's hard for me to say. The Golden Girls was extremely my jam as a kid but I was also watching Dragon Ball Z and the like too at the same time.

Harry Potter to FMA is probably what I would have suggested too (And not just because of the Philosopher's Stone connection), but if that didn't work I'm not sure what a good suggestion would be off of the top of my head.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Happily this is a problem that doesn't need to be solved. I hardly ever watch anime myself anymore, she doesn't care if I read anime murder mysteries before bed, and there are dozens of shows that we do enjoy watching together.

(The best part was when I tried to show her Cross Game and she said 'The plot seems interesting and emotional but I can't tell any of the characters apart')

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The House in Fata Morgana was just phenomenal. Looking forward to the little side story thing being released uh, but probably next year. I know it's mostly about that specific period in Morgana's past but I'd be pretty happy to see her reborn too.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I'm jumping between Clannad and Higurashi now and they're both really good. I need to pick up the rest of the Key stuff on Steam. Anyone have a Harmonia review?

Also between Word End Economica, Fault Milestone One and If My Heart had Wings what should I play next?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

World end is the only one I've played so that one

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Haven't played that last one, but I'll never pass up an opportunity to recommend Fault to someone. It's very good and very short.

The Steam version lets you switch to Japanese in the options menu, and I advise playing it that way, if you can hack it. (I couldn't.)

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Actually, looking at Steam there is a new VN there called Himawari which is apparently a really solid SF game with great art. Since I am looking for a good SF novel I might pick up either that or Eden*

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Getsuya posted:

Actually, looking at Steam there is a new VN there called Himawari which is apparently a really solid SF game with great art. Since I am looking for a good SF novel I might pick up either that or Eden*

im interested in this game but yeesh 40 dollars* why are vns so pricy

*canada bucks

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Getsuya posted:

I'm jumping between Clannad and Higurashi now and they're both really good. I need to pick up the rest of the Key stuff on Steam. Anyone have a Harmonia review?

Also between Word End Economica, Fault Milestone One and If My Heart had Wings what should I play next?

I really like Clannad, but the art is real weird. Especially Sunohara, although it for some reason works for him.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Getsuya posted:

idk about the others but while If My Heart Had Wings isn't terrible, I wouldn't really recommend it over anything else unless you're really jonesing for an alright high-school slice of life game.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

John Lee posted:

I really like Clannad, but the art is real weird. Especially Sunohara, although it for some reason works for him.

Like Higurashi/Umineko I feel Key games more than make up for their crappy art with good writing.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Getsuya posted:

Himawari is a strange game. It is very good, extremely dramatic, with a story that goes places you might not expect. It's very heavily character-focused. The sci-fi stuff is a vessel for the character drama, and while there are some twists and stuff, that's not the point. This isn't an Uchikoshi-style sci-fi thriller.

The weird part is that while it does get very serious and kinda intense, it's also very obviously influenced by typical harem eroge in a lot of ways. Expect a fair amount of stuff that's typical to those games, while also getting some of the best romance and character drama in the genre.

edit: It's not quite full-blown harem anime nonsense, I don't want to mislead anyone about that. But it has maybe more of those tropes than some people in this thread seem to like. Maybe check it out even if you don't like that stuff, because the highs are really high.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 18, 2016

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

edit: It's not quite full-blown harem anime nonsense, I don't want to mislead anyone about that. But it has maybe more of those tropes than some people in this thread seem to like. Maybe check it out even if you don't like that stuff, because the highs are really high.
It's me, I'm those people. It's a good thing you clarified, because I was ready to dismiss it completely.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Getsuya posted:

Like Higurashi/Umineko I feel Key games more than make up for their crappy art with good writing.
CLANNAD is a totally solid work and probably the best thing Key has ever made despite some major issues with the pacing/story structure and yeah the art. Dunno where you are yet obviously but it goes some places in its latter half that, for the type of romance story you'd think it's going to tell, is pretty surprising/cool.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Irritated Goat posted:

What's Moonlight?

I think Higurashi (and possibly Root Double though it's been a while since I checked) are coded to advance text/open menus on the RELEASE of a mouse click, which most touch systems (including my windows 10 convertible laptop/tablet) don't implement correctly. It sucks because my computer literally snaps apart into a nice tablet that would be perfect for VNs but the ones I'm reading don't loving work right. If I have to stream from my computer to another tablet it'll be dumb but better than nothing.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

For remote desktop viewing of VNs I use Splashtop Streamer. It's been perfect for every single VN, just in case Remotr doesn't work out for you.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Basically, it resonates strongly with the "chuuni" fans out there, hitting a ton of the dorky teenage power fantasy chords.

I admit I'm a huge closet fan of chuuni elements but not so much about fictional nazis :eyepop:

I did read some reviews so I may consider backing if nothing else gets my interest in the next few months. Also the people who bought the $2.5k tiers. Rich bastards.

https://gareblogs.wordpress.com/2014/07/30/vn-review-dies-irae-amantes-amentes/

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Alder posted:

I admit I'm a huge closet fan of chuuni elements but not so much about fictional nazis :eyepop:
So are the chuuni elements a subset of the transition metals, or what?

Rinoka
Sep 15, 2012

Is this hope...?
...No! That's wrong!

Cake Attack posted:

beat s;g 0. Pretty good, although the overall narrative didn't feel as cohesive as the original. I get that that's the point to an extent, but in some places it just felt sloppy. Also the stuff with the new characters wasn't really as good as the stuff that picked up on the same emotional beats established in S;G.

dumb question about the true ending i should probably know the answer to

how exactly does mayuri and suzuha's final trip back in time actually lead into the true ending? i dont think they made it all that clear what they actually changed, but maybe im just a dumb

A week late here, but them doing that was what led to Mayuri slapping Okabe rather than consoling him. Her leaving to cause that past motivates Okabe to create the video mail and such that tips Original!Okabe off to 'tricking the world', and causes the Steins Gate world line.

If Mayuri hadn't gone, then Suzuha would have left alone (and original Okabe wouldn't have been slapped by Mayuri), or brought Okabe (and not been warned about the explosion). To be honest though, the game's super unclear about how the time machine actually works - does it overwrite the people in that past if they're too close to it, or...? It's actually kind of disturbing to think that the Mayuri of the Steins Gate world line might remember everything from the end of Steins;Gate 0.

smenj posted:

Really no idea how they'll do the anime adaption. There's so much that relies on you having seen both main routes, each of which are entirely different, and I have no clue how they'd sort that out. Certainly not like the original, where it was more or less a straight shot to the end, and the bad/additional endings didn't really add any extra information.

Figured I'd mention this: The game's flowchart (if you put bad endings on the outside) forms a 0, and the D-RINE that Okabe sends in Promised Rinasacramento forms a line through it. I've been working out an LP for S;G 0, and the most sensical linear way I see them doing it is Leskinien End, snap back to the phone off/on decision, and then do a full runthrough of Promised Rinasacramento, finishing with Altair & Vega and Milky Way Crossing. The alternative is doing full Promised Rinasacramento, have the D-RINE interrupt Okabe going to turn his phone off, then full Altair & Vega.

Either or would make the game a much easier narrative to linearize for anime. I only think Leskinien End first works best because it really helps set the stage for everything that happens in the Promised Rinasacramento path. Then again, animes love having the plot withheld until the later episodes to add to rewatchability, so...

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

FractalSandwich posted:

So are the chuuni elements a subset of the transition metals, or what?

Actually they're halogens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

food court bailiff posted:

What's Moonlight?

I think Higurashi (and possibly Root Double though it's been a while since I checked) are coded to advance text/open menus on the RELEASE of a mouse click, which most touch systems (including my windows 10 convertible laptop/tablet) don't implement correctly. It sucks because my computer literally snaps apart into a nice tablet that would be perfect for VNs but the ones I'm reading don't loving work right. If I have to stream from my computer to another tablet it'll be dumb but better than nothing.

Moonlight is the open source program that uses NVidia's GameStream protocol. It works OK but I've had better luck with Remotr and Splashtop.

So far, Remotr seems to be the best bet for me personally. It worked on Higurashi and even some non-steam VNs I have.