Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The limiting factor will be wind chill inside the cab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Its weird the colder it gets the warmer I feel

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
:ohdear: You might be turning into a Canadian.

I'm so sorry.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

14 BAR RIFF posted:

It's an option

...wait is this what you were doing at the livestock auction?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Hypnolobster posted:

Yeah, gear isn't going to be the limiting factor for speed. Steering and stiff springs are going to be pretty suddenly "OH HOLY gently caress I HIT A BUMP AND CHANGED 4 LANES"
Heavy old stuff is fairly exciting to drive.

Yea that's no joke, my truck has like 42 leafs in the back and no shocks and it's 5 years newer than this one. All the suspension is in the seat, seriously the seat has like 15 inches of articulation.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Classic hypothermia. Does metal act differently when its that cold outside?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Well yeah it sticks to my fingers and shears breaker bars

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
^^^^ Gloves, not to keep your hands warm, but to keep metal from sticking to your skin. All the thinsulate in the world won't keep your digits from turning into literal meat popsicles, but it is nice to not leave flesh on things that haven't earned it.

Going back through the last page I just realized how normal you look in this picture. Like, if I was at the Keady livestock auction (the local one here) and saw someone who looked like you I'd probably not even think they were from the city.

Turn back before you end up working at a mom & pop auto repair place in a rural village of 20 souls.

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme
A snowmobile suit got me out of Boston on January 1 2000 in a sleet storm on a 1990 R100/7. I still have the suit, should I mail that poo poo up to you or can you find one on your own? They will make your rear end ACHE after a few hundred miles but you might be in warmer weather at some point right? Also why not yank the heater radiator from the van and slap that sucker into the beefbehemoth?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Hm, what size? I'm 6'2 ~190ish and wouldn't complain

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Fermented Tinal posted:

^^^^ Gloves, not to keep your hands warm, but to keep metal from sticking to your skin. All the thinsulate in the world won't keep your digits from turning into literal meat popsicles,

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
:swoon:

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

gimme da cash

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Went back and looked, 3100rpm for 55 assuming 6.17 rear gearing. Honestly, I don't see how the L05 is gonna hate having to do that, especially since they don't really lose power until like what, 6000rpm? At 6000rpm we're talking like 90mph.

In theory, the truck can almost pass for a low-flying cessna in 4th with the hammer down.

Jesus, 6k RPM with open headers and three feet of total combined exhaust tubing would make one hell of a noise. :stonk:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
But would you hear it over the suspension, body, and bed?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Fermented Tinal posted:

But would you hear it over the suspension, body, and bed?

And the Death Metal in the earbuds.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Deteriorata posted:

And the Death Metal in the earbuds.

And the wailing of the souls of the damned who are bound to trail along.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
My mom asked what I wanted for my birthday and I replied "Thunder beneath my hooves, cold steel within my hands, vengeance in my heart, and my enemy's blood upon my blade as I ride for the new dawn" and she asked if maybe hot chocolate instead would work lol

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

:q: Gonad, what is best in life?
:black101: To crush old Jeeps
:black101: to feel them driven under you
:black101: and to hear the lamentations of their previous owners.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

Honestly I think the best birthday present 14 got is his sense of self worth and just how drat healthy he looks. Seriously, go back several pages and look at his pictures. I may be wrong but I think Dave really looks better.

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme
6'1, 210 and it fit me fine (at the time, don't loving ask about now) PM me an address and when you need it by. I'm not sending you my Russian winter combat boots because I actually wear those when I ride in the winter. An army/navy store and some of those inflatable arctic combat boots might be another useful thing!

[edit] I also have a cat who I love.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

My Man Shran posted:

:q: Gonad, what is best in life?
:black101: To crush old Jeeps
:black101: to feel them driven under you
:black101: and to hear the lamentations of their previous owners.

Gonad the Destroyer is easily one of my most loved of tools

djdanno13 posted:

Honestly I think the best birthday present 14 got is his sense of self worth and just how drat healthy he looks. Seriously, go back several pages and look at his pictures. I may be wrong but I think Dave really looks better.

Says the man who doesn't fully understand just how many surfaces of his home my scrotum has been in contact with

ChlamydiaJones posted:

6'1, 210 and it fit me fine (at the time, don't loving ask about now) PM me an address and when you need it by. I'm not sending you my Russian winter combat boots because I actually wear those when I ride in the winter. An army/navy store and some of those inflatable arctic combat boots might be another useful thing!

[edit] I also have a cat who I love.

I don't have pms lol text me at 4084991357

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Says the man who doesn't fully understand just how many surfaces of his home my scrotum has been in contact with

The gift that keeps on giving.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

14 BAR RIFF posted:

But we've already established he's not staying, and I'm sure his "cleanup" consists of "Burn it all to the ground, like the jeep."

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Beverly Cleavage posted:

But we've already established he's not staying, and I'm sure his "cleanup" consists of "Burn it all to the ground, like the jeep."

"Leave no witnesses"

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Scorched earth is truly the best policy. Suffer not the heretics to live.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I like how through the inexorable march of time this has gone from a bad idea in the mud to a bad idea in the snow.

Shine on you long wheelbase bastards.

Jeherrin posted:

It's going to be qualitatively indistinguishable from Stalingrad.

I just wanted to go back and revisit that these posts were just over 2 months ago.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Well yeah it sticks to my fingers and shears breaker bars

We are the future, Charles, not them.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
So 14in and the social worker who worked with me when I was PD trying to get people into drug and mental health programs have the same birthdate. Huuuuum.

In all seriousness, I'm seriously impressed how everything has improved

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
And according to Facebook apparently also Nero

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Cursory googling led me to believe the redline for a truck/van L05 is 4500 RPM and they really stop making power after 3500 or so.

Oh and Happy Birthday Mr. Inch!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Is that truck going to need chains at some point?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I've been driving the jimmy this whole time on old all seasons in 2H, I have absolutely no doubt as long as I head south I'll be able to make warmer climates no hassle

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Raluek posted:

Chevy has historically put some really limp-dicked valve springs in their truck motors, though. I don't know how conservative the factory redline is, but:

What I've seen quoted for the L05 is around 4500-5000 RPM as the "don't rev past this unless you like to rebuild your engine, shithead" mark.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
The happiest of birthdays to our resident Black Thumb.

Also, feeling any better? I know you were getting hammered pretty hard there for a while by whatever plague you caught.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Previa_fun posted:

Cursory googling led me to believe the redline for a truck/van L05 is 4500 RPM and they really stop making power after 3500 or so.

Oh and Happy Birthday Mr. Inch!

Ah, I didn't look into it too much beyond seeing a few places say 350s redline north of 6k and that long before they reach the redline they stop making power.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Happy birthday, you maniac.

You want some more quail eggs for the road?

:getin:

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Happy birthday, you maniac.

You want some more quail eggs for the road?

:getin:

It's not a goddamned biodiesel conversion.

You're a bad person for even joking about this.

Edit: Now I'm imagining 14 ripping the seat out of Thunderhorse and just driving south on a bucket as he screams and laughs maniacally. So thanks for that image.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I don't think the TBI will squirt enough fuel to go over 4500, not that the heads would let in enough air anyway. So what I am saying is put in higher ratio rockers if you want to beat that Cessna and find a 454 TBI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Elephanthead posted:

I don't think the TBI will squirt enough fuel to go over 4500, not that the heads would let in enough air anyway. So what I am saying is put in higher ratio rockers if you want to beat that Cessna and find a 454 TBI.

Yeah, in addition I guess the valve springs in the truck motors started to float valves at around 4500 as well. With the 6.x rear end he'll still be good for highway travel but definitely needs to avoid interstates IMO.

That said I fully expect 14" to find out the truck's top speed.

• Locked thread