Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

WampaLord posted:

Oh yea I heard that there was anti-Trump sentiment added to this but I caught literally nothing, unless you take the whole criticism of the concept of the Death Star to be anti-Trump.

The movie, like Star Wars, is anti-Nazi, which inherently makes it Anti-Trump. But to make it even more interesting in the landscape of 2016 politics, there's definitely something to be said about how the nascent Rebellion's first plan is to expose the Death Star in the Senate, trusting that their political system and its well-meaning actors are a suitable check against the power of the Executive branch and the military industrial complex. Then, by the end of the film, they've transitioned to "well, that literally doesn't work" (and Star Wars of course has Tarkin and the Emperor dissolving the Senate entirely) and "our only recourse is to arm ourselves and kill the nazis, and by the way, you will have to be prepared to fight and die an anonymous death in the gradual march of war and progress".

Then there's more stuff to disentangle thematically with Saw Gerrera's faction of militant rebels being Al-Qaida. 'Convoy Ambush' is extremely loaded and intentional imagery, and the sight of ~desert people~ attacking the military occupiers of their Holy City is definitely meant to raise that particular anxiety in western audiences, except... oh! The hover-humvee getting blown up is Imperial, and the brave soldiers being gunned down by the terrorists are stormtroopers. To add to that, it's never mentioned in the film, but Saw is actually a character from The Clone Wars who was a planetary resistance fighter who was covertly trained by Obi-Wan Kenobi and Republic consultants to battle the Confederate occupation of his world. And then, there's the intentional visual parallels between Saw and Vader, which I'm still trying to puzzle out when it's combined with everything else above.

MikeJF posted:

Honestly, towards the end I was wondering if they were implying a couple

This is completely what the text of the movie is saying, unambiguously IMHO. Imagine Chirrut or Baze as a lady and replay all their scenes and it's just, bang, there you go. Of course no one on the production will ever confirm it, and I guarantee you that fans years from now will still vehemently insist on how the SJWs are trying to ruin a pure and good Bro Friendship with all that icky gay stuff

tin can made man fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Chiming in on the "Why did they need Galen" topic, Galen's the guy who makes the "use kyber crystals" breakthrough that's vital to the Death Star working as a planet killer and he's the foremost expert on the technology since he literally invented it, but since he didn't want to make a weapon at all Krennic duped him into thinking he was working on a super good energy source. When he finds out that isn't the case and what his research was really meant to do he runs away and then the events of the movie happen. I feel like by the time he's tracked down he realizes that they've already tricked the essential technology out of him and can get the rest of the way eventually, so he starts his sabotaging.

Milky Moor posted:

There's a similarity between him and Galen. Galen knows that once the weapon is built, he won't be necessary. I think Krennic is coming to understand that during the film, particularly as more adept politicians (Tarkin) move around him and he comes face to face with the utter monster that is representative of Vader's place in the Empire.

Yeah, there's an interesting dichotomy there. Galen accepts his fate and works to advance his goal of destroying his own project over the years he works on it. There's no practical reason I can see that Krennic couldn't have taken a quiet retirement when the Death Star was complete, but he wanted to be THE MAN and refused to accept that he wasn't getting his way, taking it out on innocent people like the other engineers out of frustration or ego.

WampaLord posted:

Yes, this stuck out as weird to me too. Vader's not a guy who makes quips.

Like the others, I think that Vader's always been quippy when dealing with Imperial officers. I'm also coming right off reading the Vader comics where he is always throwing sick burns on people he's dealing with.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

WampaLord posted:

Those aren't lovely puns, though.

E: One thing I thought about that struck me as kinda funny is that Gin's mom makes the Force seem like hippy woo poo poo by giving her a pointless crystal.

lol if the Star Wars (Holiday Special) didn't bring you to that conclusion already

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Okay, quips was the wrong word choice, I should have said puns. Vader doesn't do puns (until now.)

E: VVV How in the gently caress did you not realize Tarkin was CGI? :psyduck:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I didn't even realize Tarkin was CGI until Leia came on screen and it clicked that had to have done them both with CGI. They both looked entirely real to me.

But then again I was probably too busy having a Warsgasm from liking this movie so much.

Magnitogorsk. posted:

This movie was surprisingly good and the ending was great. My only real criticisms are that it felt slightly too long and had a little too much silly poo poo. I think cutting the Shaolin monk guy and his friend out completely would have solved both of those things. What was the point of those characters? They contributed literally nothing to the plot and the monk guy just seemed totally out of place.

It showed that the Force has its own will at times.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 16, 2016

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

WampaLord posted:

Okay, quips was the wrong word choice, I should have said puns. Vader doesn't do puns (until now.)

"Hoth to see you"

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
"I find your lack of faith, and its attendant worldview, narrow and constricting"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Question: can any of you nerds tell me the exact variant of the Death Star operator suit Jyn wears when doing the sneaky sneaky on Scarif?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Personally I thought Tarkin was fine most of the time in 3D and the Leia CG actually surprised me how great it looked.

Movie was very awesome. Didn't bother to see Episode 7, but loved this one.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

WampaLord posted:

"I find your lack of faith DARKsturbing"

I've said this before in this thread, but my dad didn't realize Tarkin or Leia were CGI. After the movie he was like "Wow they did a great job on Leia's makeup" and when I told him about the CGI use he said he thought Tarkin had been played by the same actor, apparently not realizing that nearly 40 years had pased between Episode 4 and Rogue One. Basically my dad is old and rapidly becoming senile, clearly.

I'm fine with the tech they used, to me it's gotten good enough where you can tell it's there but it's not distracting, and each time I see something similar done lately (young RDJ in Civil War for instance) it works for me. I think part of it is CGI characters in general are becoming more common so I'm used to them, and of course the technology itself gets a little bit better every year. Seeing proper humans CGI'd in is the ultimate subjective thing though, I'm not surprised to see some people singing its praises while others felt it really stood out or was a strong negative point of the movie.

Alan Smithee posted:

Question: can any of you nerds tell me the exact variant of the Death Star operator suit Jyn wears when doing the sneaky sneaky on Scarif?

Whichever model has two rad looking batons in the back that make you sure you're going to see Jyn kicking some rear end with them.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

CaptainN posted:

Vader was cool, but why in ANH does he then stroll around like an old fella? Was expecting a scene after him kicking arse where he got a beat-down, or something

Same reason why the OT lightsaber fights are slow as hell, when every other depiction is more fun and rapid: they didn't really know what would be exciting at the time.

It's the same reason the dude doing the sequel to TFA has said that he's gunning for PT-style lightsaber combat, iirc.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 16, 2016

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The tech also didnt exist either.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

They should do light saber battles like Hong Kong wire fu. Get some Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon in there.

A Deacon
Nov 17, 2016

by exmarx

tin can made man posted:

The movie, like Star Wars, is anti-Nazi, which inherently makes it Anti-Trump.

lol

Comparing the Empire and Vader to Trump by the writers (and useful idiots like you) is ultimately self-defeating because the villains in Star Wars are just as revered as the Jedi among the fanbase.

Cat Machine posted:

are you serious

Yeah, it didn't bother me. I was actually blown away when Tarkin first appeared and began talking.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
Yeah my point wasn't that Vader made a quip, it's that the pun and its delivery made me think I was watching a Roger Moore Bond movie.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

UmOk posted:

I wonder why luke didn't blow up the AT-AT on Hoth with his X-wing. Seems way more effective.

The lore explanation is that the big walkers on Scarif were AT-ACTs, not the same as the AT-ATs on Hoth. The Scarif ones are shaped a little differently, and are primarily cargo transports instead of armored troop transports.
Maybe the comparison is that the AT-ATs are IFVs, and the AT-ACTs are more like the armored cash delivery trucks. Both will happily bounce rifle rounds off, but the bank truck can't handle anything bigger than that

Serf posted:

Gotta have someone to rep The Force in the movie. And as a sucker for kung-fu movies, I loved Donnie Yen's character. My issue was that Chirrut and Baze didn't get enough screentime like every single person in the movie. I wanted to see more of every character, but the movie was pretty full as it was and I'll bet they cut lots of character moments to fit it all in.

I liked his character too. He's an untrained enthusiast who would probably make a really great Jedi given the chance, like a much more mature version of Luke who never got proper Yoda time.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

canyoneer posted:

I liked his character too. He's an untrained enthusiast who would probably make a really great Jedi given the chance, like a much more mature version of Luke who never got proper Yoda time.
That scene where he's walking towards the master switch really had me thinking he was going to use a lightsaber for a second. The shape of the end of his staff and the way he was holding it got my hopes up.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Super glad he didn't though. Jedi stuff is way too over played.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The way I interpreted it was that he did not have the ability to USE the force (i.e. does not have midichlorians in his system and can't move poo poo with his mind) but that doesn't mean that he can't be affected BY the force. It felt like a nice bit of retconning that takes things back to closer to pre-prequel status quo, meaning that while every random farmer in the galaxy couldn't try hard enough and become a Jedi, it's not some Harry Potter muggle bullshit where you just have to be born special to have a connection with the force.

Lucas already essentially did this in Clone Wars with the living force/cosmic force stuff toward the end, but it's nice to see it confirmed in a film.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 16, 2016

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

CelticPredator posted:

Super glad he didn't though. Jedi stuff is way too over played.

I can take or leave the jedi stuff.
Hands down the coolest part of Star Wars for me is WWII fighter jocks in space bustin' enemy fighters.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I figured Chirrut was not a Jedi and not even Force-sensitive. I did think he was gonna have an old lightsaber tucked into that staff, and was gonna use it to block a single blaster shot. Up to the audience whether it was luck or The Force. What happened instead was better though.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
He was certainly force sensitive because he pointed out the force around Cassian when he was going to go snipe Galen. K-2 confirmed it by pointing out the rifle was in sniper configuration when he left the ship. The force decided he would not be hit by incoming fire, so he definitely had some sort of bond with it. Just not on the level of a Jedi.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I'm glad that most of you seemed to enjoy Rogue One. Its the first star wars movie I've worked on the visual effects for and it was a fun ride.

Most of my work on it was blowing the poo poo out of stuff in the air and ground side battle on Scarif.

Personally for me its the most enjoyable SW movie to watch since the originals.

mashed fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 16, 2016

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

mashed_penguin posted:

I'm glad that most of you seemed to enjoy Rogue One. Its the first star wars movie I've worked on and it was a fun ride.

Most of my work on it was blowing the poo poo out of stuff in the air and ground side battle on Scarif.

Thanks for whatever you did to make it, because I feel the same way about it. It is worthy to sit next to the originals, IMO.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I enjoyed this movie more than I thought I would, definitely more than Ep7. Perhaps because of the number of references that probably only huge SW nerds like me got (Whills, seriously? drat).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's weird, I think that both TFA and RO have are each half of what I love about Star Wars, but not they aren't totally there for me. Really good though. Like TFA has characters who I really like, and want to see more of, while Rogue One has that new and different feel that makes it stand on it's own, which is great. Plus awesome Space Battles and Empire tech poo poo.

I only really liked KSO, the Blind man, and Baze. Everyone else was, ehh. Cassian was neat at the beginning with his character doing a really awful thing, but he never really did anything that was that daring again. Still though! For a movie that apperently was reshot to be more chipper, it sure as poo poo wasn't chipper!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Vader's dad joke was the best part of the movie. :colbert:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The prequels established that Anakin is a dork. That dude was not worth his time, so really dark jokes are how he gets something worthwhile out of having to suit up.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

mashed_penguin posted:

I'm glad that most of you seemed to enjoy Rogue One. Its the first star wars movie I've worked on the visual effects for and it was a fun ride.

Congratulations on working on the eight best Star Wars movie!

Serf
May 5, 2011

UmOk posted:

Your insult is undermined by your inability to spell words correctly lol

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

UmOk posted:

Thanks xoxoxoxoxo. That means so much to me.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I want to see the original cut... probably will never happen but it seems like there was a lot of lines and shots that didn't make it into the final version judging by trailers.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

I want to see the original cut... probably will never happen but it seems like there was a lot of lines and shots that didn't make it into the final version judging by trailers.

Trailers are generally constructed (especially the really early teasers) at a time when there hasn't even been a complete assembled cut.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yeah but there are really big changes. Such as no Jyn running at walkers on the beach. I believe I. The original cut she had to run to the tower

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

It's weird, I think that both TFA and RO have are each half of what I love about Star Wars, but not they aren't totally there for me. Really good though. Like TFA has characters who I really like, and want to see more of, while Rogue One has that new and different feel that makes it stand on it's own, which is great. Plus awesome Space Battles and Empire tech poo poo.

I only really liked KSO, the Blind man, and Baze. Everyone else was, ehh. Cassian was neat at the beginning with his character doing a really awful thing, but he never really did anything that was that daring again. Still though! For a movie that apperently was reshot to be more chipper, it sure as poo poo wasn't chipper!

Just got back from seeing R1 and I agree with this. It has a lot of things I thought TFA was lacking and doesn't have any of the things that I liked about TFA, and vice versa.

Overally I'm deeply disappointed with it. I thought the characterizations were incredibly mishandled and large swathes of everyone's motivations just didn't make sense. We've also got yet another protagonist who at first doesn't want to be there and then decides for unclear reasons that she does?

All of these things on their own sound like nitpicks, but when taken as a whole they add up to a very tonally disjointed movie that was lacking any real heart and with really confusing decisions and motivations and imagery:

- Why did Felicity Jones and Diego Luna have to die hugging on the beach? What on earth was that imagery for?

- So was this a serious movie where war was a real threat or not? One minute we're in a blackhawk down street fight and the next our Funny Robot is catching a grenade and nonchalantly murdering stormtroopers?

- Why oh loving why did we have to have the asian man be zatoiichi? what the hell were they thinking with that?

- Mads Mikkelsen sent a defector to see Forrest Whittaker with a message explicitly for Jin, and Diego Luna found out about the message and they decided that the only way to get the message was to find Jin and bring her to Forrest Whittaker so he would give her the message? Do I have that right? Why wouldn't Forrest Whittaker track her down? What was he going to do with the message?

- After the death star blew up that plateau, why would the rebel guy order Diego Luna to kill Mads Mikkelsen still? And then he...doesn't? The lowest point of the movie for me was the argument on the shuttle after Mads dies. Jin was mad, we learn Diego Luna has a shattered past as well, and then Jin...isn't mad? Her emotional journey doesn't make any sense at all. What are her motivations? What drives her to do what she does?

- Did Vader really make a pun? Also what was with his helmet?

- Why was Leia's ship on the ship in the middle of an active war zone? Was the entire first scene in ANH completely wrong?

"Where are those plans you intercepted?" Intercepted? Vader blatantly knows they weren't intercepted, he was chasing the guy with the disk

"We're a consular ship, we're on a diplomatic mission" Really dude? That's your lie? Vader chased your dudes to the door of the fuckin ship before you got away

"Darth Vader, only you could be so bold. The imperial senate will not stand for this. When they hear you've attacked a diplmoatic---" What the hell Leia? There's no plausible deniability whatsoever! Any recordings of any kind would clearly show the Tantive leave the disabled warship just involved in the huge engagement over the planet

I'm more disappointed in this than I was of TFA. What a mess.

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 16, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I'm a big fan of heist movies and have to say this was excellent. Also I liked that the film wasn't overcrowded in the space battles.

drat good film.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Waffles the answer to all your serious objections is that poo poo owned, it happened like that because it was cooler that way, and shut up nerd

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

bewbies posted:

I really loved that movie and I really dislike goon movie discussions

This is about where I'm at.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

A Deacon posted:

lol

Comparing the Empire and Vader to Trump by the writers (and useful idiots like you) is ultimately self-defeating because the villains in Star Wars are just as revered as the Jedi among the fanbase.

Fictional characters are often regarded differently than real life humans who affect your personal sphere, that is correct. But I never said Vader and the Empire were Trump, just that Star Wars, by definition of being an anti-fascist parable, is ideologically opposed to the doctrine and methodologies adopted by Trump and his contemporaries. Rogue One follows this thread but intelligently does not actually include a direct Trump surrogate, and instead creates a triarchy of antagonists who represent a lot of the dangers of postwar fascism. We have Krennic, an executive in a wing of the military industrial complex (the film's text almost treats it as its own arm, with unique stormtrooper armor and a corporate logo) who treats his workers as disposable, coerces his junior leadership via murder, and is constantly scrabbling for a place at the political table, leveraging his WMD project to appease the genocidal wishes of the upper echelons. Then you have Vader, who maintains control over national security through oppressive force, but only after descending from his leisure time in his palatial estate and its staff of servants. And finally there's Tarkin, a savvy and hawkish senior politician who maneuvers through the crooked system to increase his own authority. Of course, all three spend the film alluding to an unseen and presumably all-powerful Emperor, the demagogue who gifted them all with this crooked system they can all exploit.

tin can made man fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
At the very least this is better then the prequels, right?

• Locked thread