Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The controllers could do their own inside-out tracking. :homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

SwissCM posted:

Tracked controllers on inside-out tracked VR setups is going to be a reeeeeaaall problem.

Remember that if you have working, low cost inside-out tracking you can just put that tech inside the controllers too. I don't know whether the first generation will need to go that far, though, since it'd be pretty unusual for controllers to be held in such a way that no part of them has line of sight to any part of a headset strap.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
It's likely the lighthouse sensors will be small enough to erase the Rift's size advantage way faster than any non-lighthouse-style inside out tracking system becomes a reality. Having base stations that you know never move makes things so much easier to track multiple devices at once. Particularly hands, which are going to be in all kinds of crazy orientations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It would be best if they implemented Lighthouse. It's great for tracking wholly indpendent headsets since there is no communication besides the light flashes. They just need to find a way to add a 3rd or 4th station.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Inside-out, unassisted tracking is the future. Making people drill holes in walls or run cables like a home theatre setup isn't compatible with mass-market VR. Zero-installation, laptop-like usability. Then, high-speed passthrough.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
Yeah, I knew going in that the PC setups we've got now are just pit stops on the way to the Promised Land of self-contained systems. I guess I wasn't expecting things to move as quickly as they are.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Inside-out, unassisted tracking is the future. Making people drill holes in walls or run cables like a home theatre setup isn't compatible with mass-market VR. Zero-installation, laptop-like usability. Then, high-speed passthrough.

That's what lighthouse is. Valve marketed Lighthouse as something that you could have in your TV. It could be built into surround speakers. A standard technology that people could already have to track their headsets and controllers.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sure, it could be built into lots of stuff, but it won't be (who is going to add a big moving part to a TV or a power cable to a speaker just for a VR buyer market that is so small it might as well not exist?), and very few people have rear speakers anyway. Much less speakers and TVs mounted up where HTC tells us Lighthouse emitters need to go.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

NRVNQSR posted:

Remember that if you have working, low cost inside-out tracking you can just put that tech inside the controllers too. I don't know whether the first generation will need to go that far, though, since it'd be pretty unusual for controllers to be held in such a way that no part of them has line of sight to any part of a headset strap.
Low cost inside-out tracking for a headset means something a bit different than it does to a controller. With a headset, it's expected that there might be a wire running to a battery or PC in order to get the performance needed to do the complex calculations for that kind of tracking. Cramming that technology into a lightweight, wireless controller is a much more difficult problem to solve.

Putting your hands to the sides of your body would probably be enough to occlude tracking if line of sight to the headset is needed and the problem would only become worse as headsets get smaller.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Subjunctive posted:

Sure, it could be built into lots of stuff, but it won't be (who is going to add a big moving part to a TV or a power cable to a speaker just for a VR buyer market that is so small it might as well not exist?), and very few people have rear speakers anyway. Much less speakers and TVs mounted up where HTC tells us Lighthouse emitters need to go.

Unassisted tracking is the eventual future, but it's still a ways off. Imagine trying to track which parts of a room are people/pets vs the walls. Lighthouse-style tracking is likely going to be the medium-term solution.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BabelFish posted:

Unassisted tracking is the eventual future, but it's still a ways off. Imagine trying to track which parts of a room are people/pets vs the walls. Lighthouse-style tracking is likely going to be the medium-term solution.

I used unassisted tracking today and had people intentionally moving around in front of me to try and disrupt the tracking. We couldn't do it. It would have a problem in a featureless room at this point, but I'm told the sensitivity is solvable.

SwissCM posted:

Low cost inside-out tracking for a headset means something a bit different than it does to a controller. With a headset, it's expected that there might be a wire running to a battery or PC in order to get the performance needed to do the complex calculations for that kind of tracking. Cramming that technology into a lightweight, wireless controller is a much more difficult problem to solve.

There is plenty of room in the Vive wands to put more battery and computer than the headset I used today had. You also don't need tracking as good for controllers as you do for the head, IMO.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

We did agree that pet awareness is an urgent and challenging issue for the growth of VR.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Subjunctive posted:

I used unassisted tracking today and had people intentionally moving around in front of me to try and disrupt the tracking. We couldn't do it. It would have a problem in a featureless room at this point, but I'm told the sensitivity is solvable.

If you've gotten the demo then I can't really argue with that. Were you moving while the people outside did?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BabelFish posted:

If you've gotten the demo then I can't really argue with that. Were you moving while the people outside did?

Yeah, I really wanted to break it because I've been a near-term unassisted skeptic. If I hadn't been moving I wouldn't have been able to tell the tracking was working, heh.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

BabelFish posted:

Got my extra rift cameras in today. I'm having an issue where I'm losing cameras during guardian setup.

I have to admit, the more I play with these things the more I think the Vive got tracking tech right, even if the headset has to be a little larger.

AndrewP posted:

:same:

Though in terms of an actual product decision I think it depends on if just the two desk sensor setup is actually what most normal people want. For what WE want - super nerds willing to shell out thousands of dollars and clear out space in our home - the lighthouse tech is probably better.

Might not be your issue, but I've heard there's a problem with the Rift cameras going into standby if the headset doesn't move for a time. Which, obviously, is normally not an issue but can be a problem when configuring guardian bounds. You might try moving the headset around the next time it happens.

If true I assume it's an oversight and will probably be patched soonish.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
They will need to figure out a way to fix or improve the reflective surface issues with Lighthouse before I think your "normal" consumer would want to use it. I don't see a majority of people willing to have to cover up their Tvs, windows, and hanging picture frames in order to use something.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Welp, I had been having some tracking issues with two opposing sensors. Just set up my third sensor and it is drat near perfect now. Feels fantastic.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Basic Chunnel posted:

I'd already had a good PC so as long as the specs aren't stupendously better (and they will be, at some point) then I'm fine with having this dumb thing. Just get me an Alien game, for christ's sake

I played Alien: Isolation in VR. It was amazing. I want more so bad.

Subjunctive posted:

We did agree that pet awareness is an urgent and challenging issue for the growth of VR.

My toddler's favorite thing to do if he notices someone using VR is to run laps around them as close as possible while flailing his arms in the air, to maximize his chance of being hit, and he cries like you're killing him if you try to stop him. It is... uh... some sort of awareness thing would be great, is what I'm saying, yeah. And not just for pets.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

My toddler's favorite thing to do if he notices someone using VR is to run laps around them as close as possible while flailing his arms in the air, to maximize his chance of being hit, and he cries like you're killing him if you try to stop him. It is... uh... some sort of awareness thing would be great, is what I'm saying, yeah. And not just for pets.

When my sister tried the Vive, the first thing her daughter did was put her face directly in front of the base station. Hopefully those lasers aren't dangerous. My nephew came home from school or wherever and immediately ran up to my sister and just stood there silently in front of her as if he wanted to get hit.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Making people drill holes in walls or run cables like a home theatre setup isn't compatible with mass-market VR. Zero-installation, laptop-like usability.

I'm not sure I'd go that far. Remember, the original Wii required just as much setup as current console VR does and it achieved enormous mass market success. Baseless tracking is certainly a valuable step for VR, but I think it'd be a mistake to consider it a make-or-break issue; as always the breakthrough's going to come down to the killer app, VR's Wii Sports - whatever that turns out to be.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Its not really fair to say the Wii sensor bar requires as much set up, you just kinda fling it in front of your TV and you're done. The lighthouses even after drilling them into the walls, took me a few days of probing around my space and judiciously studying the SteamVR room overview to get them dialed in perfectly with maximum coverage. I don't consider that an undue amount of setup either, but probably more than a lot of people would want to bother with.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of Nintendo, they just filed a patent for a Gear-style HMD enclosure for the Switch. This doesn't necessarily mean such a product will ever ship, but it seems to be on their radar.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

haveblue posted:

Speaking of Nintendo, they just filed a patent for a Gear-style HMD enclosure for the Switch. This doesn't necessarily mean such a product will ever ship, but it seems to be on their radar.
If the Switch screen is 720p and that big though, the DPI is gonna be too godawful for a HMD, probably.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

homeless snail posted:

Its not really fair to say the Wii sensor bar requires as much set up, you just kinda fling it in front of your TV and you're done. The lighthouses even after drilling them into the walls, took me a few days of probing around my space and judiciously studying the SteamVR room overview to get them dialed in perfectly with maximum coverage. I don't consider that an undue amount of setup either, but probably more than a lot of people would want to bother with.

That's why I compared it to console VR, i.e. PSVR. I'd agree that current Lighthouse base stations are probably on the wrong side of user-friendly.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I wonder if a pair of cheap cameras on front of a headset would track Touch controllers just fine. They wouldn't even need the resolution of standard constellation cameraa since you know the controllers will rarely ever be >3ft from the headset.

If they leave the users field of view fall back to internal IMU tracking since when the controller can't be seen tracking it so accurately isn't as important.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

NRVNQSR posted:

That's why I compared it to console VR, i.e. PSVR. I'd agree that current Lighthouse base stations are probably on the wrong side of user-friendly.

People really over-complicating the lighthouses.

Seriously it's enough to just place them on a surface on opposite sides of the room and you have tracking that's pretty much spotless, you only get better coverage the better you setup is, but in no way is it required.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

I wonder if a pair of cheap cameras on front of a headset would track Touch controllers just fine. They wouldn't even need the resolution of standard constellation cameraa since you know the controllers will rarely ever be >3ft from the headset.

If they leave the users field of view fall back to internal IMU tracking since when the controller can't be seen tracking it so accurately isn't as important.

You can't fall back on the IMU on any positionally tracked object for more than maybe a half a second, if that. Your hands would accelerate off into the distance.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
People saying "OH NOBODY WILL EVER DO THAT TOO COMPLICATED" prolly sound a lot like people talking about things that where huge pains in the rear end, like indoor plumbing and electricity. I realize these are utilities and not entertainment like VR but the point stands. Or hey even more contemporary, running Ethernet lines in houses. If Virtual Reality is going to be a thing having a home just 'being' VR-ready will be as normal as WiFi or Cell coverage or Ethernet or __________. Today's pain in the rear end is tomorrows taken-for-granted. Having wired cameras with extension cables is super low tech feeling and takes some luster off of Oculus' attempt at flawless presentation. Plus they say you should have three of them? Cmon.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I shoved my coffee table out of the way and put my two tracking cameras on top of my tower speakers on either side of my TV. Wife came home and wasn't pleased, but then she tried it. She hasn't cared for VR before but she played for almost two hours and now she wants to figure out how to fit my PC into the living room nicely.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

TomR posted:

I shoved my coffee table out of the way and put my two tracking cameras on top of my tower speakers on either side of my TV. Wife came home and wasn't pleased, but then she tried it. She hasn't cared for VR before but she played for almost two hours and now she wants to figure out how to fit my PC into the living room nicely.

Yeah, I had a similar experience of seeing someone go from "lol nerd look at you playing video games" to "gently caress I stayed up until 4 am playing video games what's wrong with me" in one day

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

TomR posted:

Lemming posted:

Yeah, I had a similar experience of seeing someone go from "lol nerd look at you playing video games" to "gently caress I stayed up until 4 am playing video games what's wrong with me" in one day

These exact situations have happened to me, our VR room is in the living room now, no regrets and I'm constantly feeling weird about my hands IRL for a reason I can't explain.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

FormatAmerica posted:

These exact situations have happened to me, our VR room is in the living room now, no regrets and I'm constantly feeling weird about my hands IRL for a reason I can't explain.

My weird moment like that was after VR-ing for a while I must've been dreaming from the same perspective as the headset or something - right after waking up my hands felt farther away and it seemed out of place that not only did my hands and fingers all move and respond to my brain really well, there were arms that went past the elbow coming off them. I've gotten some of the funky FPS strafe vision and whatever on the occasional super long high school summer Quake/Halo binges, but this was a new level of strange.

Play Recoil y'all, it's really cool! Hit a pretty even matchup that we stuck with for a while, found out every few rounds it'll move on to a new stage that may have a different layout for the blue bank walls. Every few successful throws back and forth while the disc is still in play will speed it up (I've seen 1x -> 3x -> 6x speed). Punches are tough and kind of janky but I've had some better luck only going for them if it's a 1x speed throw coming without much an angle, charging up, then instead of a punch motion holding my hand out in front as if blocking with a shield and lining it up so the very middle of the disc bounces off around the wrist.

The Racket: Nx demo on Steam keeps being really satisfying to play, I keep loading it up like it's a PS1 demo disc.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Fredrik1 posted:

People really over-complicating the lighthouses.

Seriously it's enough to just place them on a surface on opposite sides of the room and you have tracking that's pretty much spotless, you only get better coverage the better you setup is, but in no way is it required.

Needs to be over your head or it doesn't work though. Been to a lot of rooms, trying this is usually my first step, but it works in like... 20% of them. If I'm lucky, and it usually requires some pretty hefty "modifications" in the form of temporarily stacked books and boxes. And tracking is generally really bad because of it, since unstable surfaces cause a ton of vibration.

It's okay to admit you got lucky and have a room layout that made it easy, but it's a bit weird to assume therefore that it's not an issue for other people. The lighthouse setup has been the number one enthusiasm killer for people I have demoed VR to so far.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

There's been at least a half dozen people in this thread talk about having to cover pictures on the wall, tv screens, windows, etc. to keep the lighthouses from freaking out. There is no way that is going to work for mass consumer adoption. It's fine for early adopters who don't mind dedicating a space to VR, but I can't imagine that tracking system surviving past the first few generations of headsets.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Tracked headsets/controllers do wonders for transmitting nonverbal information when playing games with others in VR. I'd be interested to if someone could rig a Kinnect up to track bones/limbs and superimpose them onto positional data from the HMD and controllers. It might be a feasible way to track stuff like arms and legs without strapping more sensors on your person.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

TomR posted:

this right here is probably the most valuable thing Oculus has going for it. Versatility and ease of use is no small thing

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug

Warbird posted:

Tracked headsets/controllers do wonders for transmitting nonverbal information when playing games with others in VR.

I was playing raw data multiplayer last night (I unlocked dual pistols) it was pretty fun just celebrating surviving a wave by Yosemite Sam shooting into the air! And then just tossing the pistols at each other once we ran out of bullets.

Also, I got a couple of wall mount camera lighting jobbers and mounted them to a small board. the I used some of those command strip things to adhere them to my walls above my desk, so now nothing occludes the cameras and no screws in the walls. My playspace got a bit bigger, but it tracks better; which was the goal. Once my 3rd camera comes in I have a tripod ready to go to find optimal placement, and a 3rd wall mount if its viable.

It just feels odd now sitting at my desk with a couple of cameras just always pointed out into the room. Feels like a shop I used to go to where the owners didn't trust any of the employees and they had security cammed up the entire shop...

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

AndrewP posted:

this right here is probably the most valuable thing Oculus has going for it. Versatility and ease of use is no small thing

Yeah, I'd almost get a new computer in a small case just for VR but really I can just move the PC I have and it's just a few USB cables to plug in when I want to do room scale and it only takes a few minutes to do. Maybe when I'm ready to upgrade.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
my girlfriend didn't even like the lighthouses until I convinced her they *definitely* weren't cameras. She wouldn't be cool with always on cameras produced by facebook and honestly I'm not really sure I could argue with her on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The cameras have an opaque piece of plastic on them and only see infrared light.