Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Tae posted:

One of the camping idle animations is them playing a multiplayer on their phone.

Sometimes when you quit out of fishing they're all doing something on their phone, which is p. funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Just bit the bullet and bought the season pass. Gilgamesh is one of my favorite characters. I'll be playing the first DLC episode far more for Gilgamesh than for whatever story Gladiolus has to offer- poo poo, I'd rather fight him as Noctis and the rest of the boys. Still, they had me at "Gilgamesh."

Looking forward to the other additions as well. Given how much they want to continue supporting this game, I think $25 is a reasonable price to support them in turn.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

The Grimace posted:

Just bit the bullet and bought the season pass. Gilgamesh is one of my favorite characters. I'll be playing the first DLC episode far more for Gilgamesh than for whatever story Gladiolus has to offer- poo poo, I'd rather fight him as Noctis and the rest of the boys. Still, they had me at "Gilgamesh."

Looking forward to the other additions as well. Given how much they want to continue supporting this game, I think $25 is a reasonable price to support them in turn.

Giglamesh is going to become Gladio's master and train him

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Onmi posted:

Okay, sure. I'll take it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Nina posted:

Yeah something's def up with that combo when it suddenly doesn't work for other people either. Did you beat the game between it working and stopping to work? For me it started doing damage the moment i got into Chapter 14 so I'm starting to wonder if being able to do it without damage is a bug and some flag in the endgame "fixes" it

Yes, the last enemy I used it on was Ifrit and it worked fine on him. It wasn't until Chapter 15 that it started murdering me, but granted I've only really fought Adamatoise so far. Maybe something about the transitions changes the way the royal weapons work? The Sword of the Father also seems to drain my health WAY faster than it did before too

RatHat posted:

Speaking of Prompto, what Machinery do you guys use? The Drillbreaker is the highest damage but I don't like the idea of Prompto running into melee range so I went with the Noiseblaster.

Gravity Well all day long. It's a miniaturized version of his Gravisphere technique and almost as potent on the Plus version.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Where do you get Machinery items from, I literally spent the entire game with just autocrossbow and the chainsaw.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Sakurazuka posted:

Where do you get Machinery items from, I literally spent the entire game with just autocrossbow and the chainsaw.

For the most part, just laying around in those Nif bases.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Onmi posted:

I hope Gladio gets a Gilgamesh costume.

Actually, I hope around April we get joke costumes for everyone. Gladio would just be a giant cup noodles outfit.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah, Nif bases but you usually have to revisit them to get to where they are. There is a cool sniper rifle you can get the same way. They are usually lying around those little offices that litter bases.

Alternatively, it seems you can do the carrot trade thing with that one dude to get the ones you might not have. (I think that's how it works)

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Lord Ephraim posted:

I've learned to love the bioblaster. Poison is a good status to use in groups of Tonberrys and Wyverns.

Break damage limit didn't need to be so AP expensive. Everything in the sealed dungeons are huge damage sponges that could KO in one hit if you're lazy. By the 4th group of Tonberrys I've been pretty adept in fighting them without using too many items. Weapon immune flans are a dick move though. It's unlikely you enter a dungeon without 99 of every element, enough that you can make 20x use spells of -aga, level but for me I almost did.

60 hours into the game I just noticed that costumes have stat bonuses applied to them. Taking off your jacket raises your attack and magic by 100 points. That is a thing you should know.

Running into the middle of those flans and holy dodging them to death is very satisfying.

RatHat posted:

Speaking of Prompto, what Machinery do you guys use? The Drillbreaker is the highest damage but I don't like the idea of Prompto running into melee range so I went with the Noiseblaster.

Drillbreaker for big link strike damage. Bioblaster and gravity well are pretty good too.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Bioblaster is the best, you can poison most enemies and it drains their health really quickly.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Last night, while chasing down a sidequest near malmlam, I found some gators and started swiping near the edge of the water and got stuck behind a rock where I lost all movement and menu controls. The fight continued with no UI or indication of health nor damage.
http://i.imgur.com/dHxyNWX.gifv
The battle chatter made it seem like we were losing.

I let the fight go on to see if it would wipe my team or eventually knock me loose and let me continue but day transitioned to night and my boys were still hard at work.
http://i.imgur.com/lCwRKOx.gifv

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
^^ The same thing happened to me, but during that quest where you bring medicine to the wounded chocobo and get ambushed by whatever voretooth variant is in the area. Noctis just kept staring at the chocobo while his friends got mauled, though no one took damage. Had to restart.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

I had the camera get stuck to where I couldn't rotate it in Daurell Caverns. This happened about 4 or 5 times and the only way to fix it was interacting with ladders.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I only ever found the saw and autocrossbow but reading this page I'm just now realizing that the machinery are Edgar's tools from FF6 and now I wish I had used them more

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I only ever found the saw and autocrossbow but reading this page I'm just now realizing that the machinery are Edgar's tools from FF6 and now I wish I had used them more

My greatest wish is to see him wear all the goofy little accessories Edgar did when using them.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fellatio del Toro posted:

You gotta explore bases and for some reason they show as regular treasure and arent called out so its super easy to miss them.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Is there a way to tell what loot I should or should not be selling for money?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

MMF Freeway posted:

I never really sold anything. Towards the endgame when you actually need money you'll have a better idea of what you aren't using and can sell it then. I mostly keep the Expericast items and the good Quintcast/Limit Break items for magic and sell duplicate accessories I get from dungeon crawling.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MMF Freeway posted:

I wouldn't sell anything that's petrified or debased, they can make stop or expericast spells.

Quintcast stuff is good too, just take a quick look at the element for what it does when mixed in and you should have a good idea.

I think the only other recommendation would be to keep 1 and sell the rest for cash.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

When you start grinding for ap you can sell 99 sabetooth tusks no problem. Other than that you really get money from hunts or liquidating extraneous accessories.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
You also get a poo poo ton of money doing Wyv's quests in Lestallum, so do them.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Barudak posted:

When you start grinding for ap you can sell 99 sabetooth tusks no problem. Other than that you really get money from hunts or liquidating extraneous accessories.

Levantine posted:

You also get a poo poo ton of money doing Wyv's quests in Lestallum, so do them.

Yeah, I was going to say that Wyv's quests were the source of most of my money.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
You can also spend like an hour getting 99 chests in Altissia's Justice Monsters 5 for 500k gil(minus 10k to play it).

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
So I finally beat Naglfar in a fight that took like 45 minutes. Holy poo poo I hate that guy. what the hell are you supposed to do for that fight? I used like 25 Phoenix Downs and nearly all my elixirs and hi-elixirs. For reference, I used Sword of the Father, Ultima Blade, Star of the Rogue, and I think IIRC I had 3 Flares. That fight literally lasted all in game night and into the day.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Gologle posted:

So I finally beat Naglfar in a fight that took like 45 minutes. Holy poo poo I hate that guy. what the hell are you supposed to do for that fight? I used like 25 Phoenix Downs and nearly all my elixirs and hi-elixirs. For reference, I used Sword of the Father, Ultima Blade, Star of the Rogue, and I think IIRC I had 3 Flares. That fight literally lasted all in game night and into the day.

I'm finding Zwill Crossblades and guaranteed Crit food with high STR is the key to minimizing post-game battles.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Gologle posted:

I beat him pretty easily with overwhelm + bow of the clever spam, but it still took a while. I probably should have just left Gladio and Prompto dead, but I liked having them around for Armigar chain.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

I finally beat this game after having it since launch. I like that the main menu now has Noctis sitting next to Luna.

i like how now every time you start the game the ps4 tells you the main menu is a blocked scene :v:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

abagofcheetos posted:

i like how now every time you start the game the ps4 tells you the main menu is a blocked scene :v:

You can turn that notification off if you want.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i know but its still kinda funny

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Does the game do any scaling for mobs or can I eventually over level my way through some poo poo from doing all the side quests then staying in a fancy hotel to bump my XP even more?

Also for combat - Should I be buying/upgrading weapons for myself/bros often or do I get enough poo poo from side quests/cid upgrades to not need to worry much about weapons? I'm still not following combat very well so I'm not sure how much damage i should be doing at this level (low 20's, sidequestin in Ch. 3)

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yes and yes.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fedule posted:

Naglfar is a bad superboss.

Like, what, actually, the hell. I felt like I had to be missing something, like some timing sequence for when exactly to dodge his various attacks or an order to them so I can get away from the one thing he does where he launches the spines all around himself that doesn't seem to be dodgeable at all, and best as I can tell, nope, he really does seem to just be a check to see if you've bought like fifty potions and a bunch of phoenix downs for you to chug while you wail on him solo because none of the AIs can dodge his lasers. Like I'm sure all of his moves can be dealt with somehow - I'm pretty sure I managed to somehow dodge the bullshit spine thing at least once - but it feels completely unreliable. Also the fight went on for an eternity and not a peep from Ramuh.

Isn't he just a palette swap of the Deathclaw? Because the Deathclaw's spine attack was pretty easily dodged by warping away as soon as you see the tell for it (he lifts his claws up). You get a ton of invincibility frames too.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I'm new to PS4 but this whole recording blocking thing is really stupid.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Augus posted:

Isn't he just a palette swap of the Deathclaw? Because the Deathclaw's spine attack was pretty easily dodged by warping away as soon as you see the tell for it (he lifts his claws up). You get a ton of invincibility frames too.

That doesn't help your bros survive it.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Yep this Chapter 13 sure is fun :argh:

e: It just went from tedious to aggressively bad. Like, how do you design and test this and go "Hm, yes, perfect"

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 16, 2016

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The weird thing for me about this game is the whole 'learning to dodge/roll enemy patterns'. In a single player game, that makes sense. In a team game with some kind of gambit or tactic system, that makes sense so you can stay alive with your team. Here, even if you can perfectly dodge/block every move... there's nothing stopping your team from just running into the fire and dying and forcing you to carry them if the boss uses a lot of AoEs.

Of course, it helps that Noct is more often than not the brunt of enemy attention, so staying alive gives your allies more time to wail on them.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

I hope Gladio gets a Gilgamesh costume.

Actually, I hope around April we get joke costumes for everyone. Gladio would just be a giant cup noodles outfit.

Or just a billboard that says BUY COLEMAN PRODUCTS

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

RatHat posted:

That doesn't help your bros survive it.

You really don't need them except when the tech bar or armiger bar is full. I tend to let them die on those bosses and stay that way til I'm ready to unload then mega-phoenix and unleash hell. During normal combat Noctis does like 90% of the damage anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Does the game do any scaling for mobs or can I eventually over level my way through some poo poo from doing all the side quests then staying in a fancy hotel to bump my XP even more?

Also for combat - Should I be buying/upgrading weapons for myself/bros often or do I get enough poo poo from side quests/cid upgrades to not need to worry much about weapons? I'm still not following combat very well so I'm not sure how much damage i should be doing at this level (low 20's, sidequestin in Ch. 3)

Mob scaling is more a function of location unfortunately, though dropshups periodically send out stronger mechs

I did what youre planning (I did a few sessions and took a night in the suite at Galdin Quay) and made it to the 50s by Chapter 6 and and smashed through any of the lower level poo poo.

You should periodically upgrade weapons. Cid can make some of the strongest stuff in the game (the Engine Blade eventually becomes the 2nd best broadsword and the #1 is in the postgame) but it doesn't really help Prompto or Ignis.

If you're going side questing I'd recommend that you at least do enough of Chapter 3 to finish the waterfall dungeon, since that unlocks manual drive and lets Ignis auto drive at night, so you won't be stuck somewhere waiting for the sun to come up to move out.

• Locked thread