Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The Rocketeer is helped by being a kid's movie at heart. The Shadow couldn't really go that route, and while everyone involved seems to be having a ball, it's not quite the lighthearted affair that Rocketeer ends up being.

Phantomsuit was really closely related to the John Wesley Shipp Flashsuit. I don't think they quite understood that moulded foam looked good for TV, but not so much for film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jamesman posted:

Incredible Hulk was a promising movie. I really, really want them to follow up on that promise one day.

Give us more Abomination. Give us Leader. Give us Doc Samson. Come onnnnnnnnn do it you assholes.

Universal owns distribution on any Hulk flick for like, 20 more years so I doubt it's gonna happen in a solo film.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FilthyImp posted:

Phantomsuit was really closely related to the John Wesley Shipp Flashsuit. I don't think they quite understood that moulded foam looked good for TV, but not so much for film.

See, I'd read that upon being cast, Billy Zane decided he didn't want to wear a moulded muscle-suit like the Batman movies, so he went away and trained for something like a year straight, and when he arrived on the set he'd become so muscular that they didn't need the suit, but they ended up using one anyway.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Wheat Loaf posted:

See, I'd read that upon being cast, Billy Zane decided he didn't want to wear a moulded muscle-suit like the Batman movies, so he went away and trained for something like a year straight, and when he arrived on the set he'd become so muscular that they didn't need the suit, but they ended up using one anyway.
Upon Googling it appears that suit was terrible in a number of ways (pre-2000s azteking culminating in Zane having Skullabs thanks to the design), but mostly for making him look like a skinny weenie.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I realized that a lot of the Yellow Peril and some other silly stuff (why would Khan's coffin have latin on it?) was probably in the movie becuase they were trying to be true to the old comics/radio show, which had a lot of Mystical Orient stuff in it, which is also why it's part of Doctor Strange and Iron Fist, as they came out of the same traditions.

So I keep seeing MEGAN FOX IS POISON IVY! But I feel like this was one of those times someone on Reddit said "it should be Megan Fox (because I masturbate a lot)" and then it filtered through the internet and became that she's been cast. Though this would probably bring in the people who keep seeing Transformers movies.

I could see some WB execs going "Jared Leto is a terrible actor, but I bet we can find someone worse..." and realize she was the best choice.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The source was Bleeding Cool so you're basically right.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I just went and looked up the Billy Zane Phantom costume for the first time in twenty years and it's so bad you'd think they got it off a 1930s serial set

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Wheat Loaf posted:

* Speaking of McKellan, his character being an ostensibly brilliant scientist who can't tell the difference between red and green feels a bit less "absent-minded professor" and more "how did you become a celebrated scientist anyway?"

Fun fact: red/green colour blindness is not an indicator of intelligence.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Megan Fox would probably make a perfectly fine Poison Ivy.

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

Is there anything at all that could make poison ivy actually interesting? Maybe work in some fanatical environmentalism or something? "Sexy female villain who makes plant puns" seems fairly flimsy.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Ireallylikeeggs posted:

Is there anything at all that could make poison ivy actually interesting? Maybe work in some fanatical environmentalism or something? "Sexy female villain who makes plant puns" seems fairly flimsy.

Fanatical environmentalism is... already her character, though?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SlimGoodbody posted:

Fanatical environmentalism is... already her character, though?

Forgive them, they've not read anything since the early 70s.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chaos Hippy posted:

Fun fact: red/green colour blindness is not an indicator of intelligence.

Thing is, while I imagine that's what the script was aiming for, it's not the impression I got from the scene. It honestly came off more like he just didn't know what red and green were rather than him being colour blind.

(Yes, I appreciate that I'm the one being stupid here.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Another observation about the Shadow is that it ends really abruptly. Shiwan Khan gets taken out, then it cuts to Lamont kissing Margo, then he walks off and she says, "How will you know where to find me?" and he's like, "I'll know," and walks round a corner and disappears.

Compare with The Rocketeer, where Cliff thwarts the Nazis, gets Jenny and is given a brand new plane by Howard Hughes and that's all it really needs to end effectively. Or how Dick Tracy ends with Tracy getting a message on his wrist radio calling him away to another crime. Or how Darkman ends with Liam Neeson changing his face to Bruce Campbell and disappearing into a crowd as Frances McDormand casts about for him. Those aren't all perfect but they all work a lot better.

I wonder if they wanted to make a sequel to this. Looking at the numbers on Wikipedia, the budget for this movie was around $40 million and it only made $48 million, which probably didn't recoup the expenditure on marketing (I imagine this movie must have been marketed heavily just because of how much Batman '89 and Dick Tracy were).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ireallylikeeggs posted:

Interesting to who?

She'll probably make out with Harley, which I guess is plenty interesting to Suicide Squad's audience.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Ireallylikeeggs posted:

Is there anything at all that could make poison ivy actually interesting?

Work in some pathos and body horror. The best Ivy story, in my opinion, is the cartoon where she genuinely wants to settle down, go straight, and start a family, but her solution to that is to create plant clones that start out as her children, quickly age to adulthood to pose as her husband, then devolve into mindless plant monstrosities before dissolving into a puddle of goo.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Poison Ivy is a great character nowadays: The ultimate vegan; Sexy, scantily-clad; Eco-warrior anarchist; Femme fatale.

If you can't use that character to ruffle some feathers and make a compelling anti-hero/villain then stop making movies and go be an accountant or something.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Aphrodite posted:

Interesting to who?

She'll probably make out with Harley, which I guess is plenty interesting to Suicide Squad's audience.
And Bruce Timm

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I've read from sources other than Bleeding Cool Harley and Ivy will be presented as a couple in some way. Hopefully it isn't just in a male gaze way.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Lobok posted:

Poison Ivy is a great character nowadays: The ultimate vegan; Sexy, scantily-clad; Eco-warrior anarchist; Femme fatale.

If you can't use that character to ruffle some feathers and make a compelling anti-hero/villain then stop making movies and go be an accountant or something.

You would think, given her affinity for plants, she would go in the other direction.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'm not sure she needs to eat anything. I know there's a scene of her eating a salad in the animated series, but you could just as easily say she photosynthesizes energy.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Really if you think about it she should eat only meat

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

AbsolutelySane posted:

You would think, given her affinity for plants, she would go in the other direction.

Yeah, like she would only eat meat? I wasn't thinking vegan in terms of eating but rather just her level of protection for plants. Feels weird to consider her as a supremo carnivore, though, hm.

Somewhere along the chain plants are being eaten though, so maybe purple death ray is right about her not eating anything.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She eats only eggs and fish.

She smells awful.

Lobok posted:

Somewhere along the chain plants are being eaten though, so maybe purple death ray is right about her not eating anything.

Yeah but that just makes it revenge for the plant eating.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Alternately: She can communicate with plants, so maybe she just like asks them for a few leaves or an apple. It's a purely consensual exchange.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Lil'Gotham had Ivy chowing down on spaghetti during the salad portion of a bat villain's holiday dinner, with Catwoman specifically commenting on on how she doesn't eat salad.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

purple death ray posted:

Alternately: She can communicate with plants, so maybe she just like asks them for a few leaves or an apple. It's a purely consensual exchange.

Given the power dynamic between her and the plants I don't think that can ever be truly consensual.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
You don't kill plants to eat vegetables and fruit, they're literally meant to be eaten.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Hulk vs the military in Incredible Hulk was pretty great and the way they made Blonksy move made me really hopeful for the forthcoming Captain America film we all knew was happening.

Just rewatched the clip. Its pretty great.

But I still like Ang Lee's better, and it might be one of my fav comic book movies period. Its so loving weird.

EDIT: No love for the dialogue in The Shadow?

There's some stellar lines in there.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 16, 2016

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sgt. Politeness posted:

You don't kill plants to eat vegetables and fruit, they're literally meant to be eaten.

For us normies, yeah, but she seems like the kind of person who would liken eating an orange to devouring a friend's child.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Shageletic posted:

EDIT: No love for the dialogue in The Shadow?

There's some stellar lines in there.

It wasn't very memorable to me on that front but perhaps that's just me. :shrug:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Lobok posted:

For us normies, yeah, but she seems like the kind of person who would liken eating an orange to devouring a friend's child.

more like their ovaries

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

It wasn't very memorable to me on that front but perhaps that's just me. :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCbGBDy6Tbo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KMRSnm3I5k

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The Shadow was such a loving weird movie.

Aphrodite posted:

Ed Norton is garbage.

You're garbge >:O

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Well, the first one didn't make a tremendous impression on me but in the second one, I was too distracted by Penelope Ann Miller groping herself in her negligee to remember the particular dialogue of the scene.

Ahem.

Again, it's not bad or anything but I think saying the dialogue is "stellar" might be over-egging it a wee bit. :shrug:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

twistedmentat posted:

I've read from sources other than Bleeding Cool Harley and Ivy will be presented as a couple in some way. Hopefully it isn't just in a male gaze way.

"LGBT" Harley is never going to work, in my opinion. She's Harley. She's the Joker's girlfriend. That's her character, and I've never seen a depiction of Harley that isn't based around the Joker - and we already have DCU Harley established solidly in that regard.

This is most likely going to be embarrassing. DC's best shot if they wanted to do a headliner LGBT character was Wonder Woman, and they blew that.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

How hard is it to understand that when Harley gets dumped by the Joker, via getting strapped to a rocket, she realizes that the Joker isn't all that great, and forms a relationship with Ivy? That is her character arc in the medium she was created in, by the creators that made her. I'm pretty sure the comics did something similar.

Being subservient to Joker is just the beginning of her arc, and probably counts for only a small percentage of her appearences. I don't blame people for not knowing about her character development, but I've seen several people act like that she's been Joker's girlfriend all this time. I blame the Arkham games.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Because two women who are rarely not half-or-more naked even by comic book standards and one of whom is usually themed as having supernatural powers of seduction don't get the benefit of the doubt from me.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Open Marriage Night posted:

How hard is it to understand that when Harley gets dumped by the Joker, via getting strapped to a rocket, she realizes that the Joker isn't all that great, and forms a relationship with Ivy? That is her character arc in the medium she was created in, by the creators that made her. I'm pretty sure the comics did something similar.

Being subservient to Joker is just the beginning of her arc, and probably counts for only a small percentage of her appearences. I don't blame people for not knowing about her character development, but I've seen several people act like that she's been Joker's girlfriend all this time. I blame the Arkham games.

Mostly because her only appearance before this movie is going to be the one where Joker went through a ton of effort to get her back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harley Quinn Is The Joker's Girlfriend is her Big Plot. No matter how often they drag her away from it inevitably she ends up back in it. It sucks, I completely agree, but "she broke away from the Joker" would matter more if it wasn't inevitably followed up with another goddamn Joker story.

• Locked thread