Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

A human heart posted:

Generally if someone writes for the guardian, or indeed any so called news media, that means they're bad

And journalists/critics generally have dozens of acquaintances who will give them good reviews, so unless David Markson reaches out from the grave to put his blurb on the jacket I'm going to give it a miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

A human heart posted:

Generally if someone writes for the guardian, or indeed any so called news media, that means they're bad

exceptions: stewart lee
that's all i got

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

WatermelonGun posted:

Ryu is the better murakami. Read Coin Locker Babies instead and tell your friends that they're useless and then go do some crimes.

I'm really into this statement.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Dave Eggers has written for the guardian

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Solitair posted:

Is Edward Docx any good? I just read a couple of his articles in The Guardian and they were alright, but I don't know it that translates to novel-writing talent.

This dude has a file extension for a name, what a dweeb.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

fridge corn posted:

Dave Eggers has written for the guardian

Exactly.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

at the date posted:

And journalists/critics generally have dozens of acquaintances who will give them good reviews, so unless David Markson reaches out from the grave to put his blurb on the jacket I'm going to give it a miss.

You think especially highly of David Markson?

Zesty Mordant posted:

This dude has a file extension for a name, what a dweeb.

He really does, has this been addressed anywhere?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Mr. Squishy posted:

You think especially highly of David Markson?

hell yeah

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

WatermelonGun posted:

Ryu is the better murakami. Read Coin Locker Babies instead and tell your friends that they're useless and then go do some crimes.

:hfive:

Almost Transparent Blue was good too, I seem to recall.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I like him too but for that hyperbolic hypothetical you had your pick of a very large field, seemed remarkable. What of his is your favourite?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I just finished The Virgin Suicides and it's well-written, it's interesting, it's got Joyce's fingerprints all over it, but it would have been a hell of a lot better with any actual characters in it.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Mr. Squishy posted:

I like him too but for that hyperbolic hypothetical you had your pick of a very large field, seemed remarkable. What of his is your favourite?

Oh, I had just got done writing a paper on him and he died recently. I figured if anyone were to reach from their grave it would probably be a recently buried guy. e: I suppose I could have chosen Umberto Eco.

My favorites by Markson, though, are Reader's Block and Wittgenstein's Mistress (I've actually only read three, those and Dingus Magee). I read WM earlier this year on a total whim shortly after Wittgenstein's actual Philosophical Investigations and followed it last month with RB. It seems silly to say "I love the quasi-impressionistic free association of anecdote and factoid that sneaks in a plot behind the errata" since it's a bit like saying "I love the way The Waste Land is broken up into lines" but it was a revelation to me at the time, one which I still haven't gotten over.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 14, 2016

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Translation chat:

I started reading "The Stranger" today, and something in the translator's note bugged me right from the get-go:

Matthew Ward posted:

No sentence in French literature in English translation is better known than the opening sentence of The Stranger. It has become a sacred cow of sorts, and I have changed it. In his notebooks Camus recorded the observation that "the curious feeling the son has for his mother constitutes all his sensibility." And Sartre, in his "Explication de L'Etranger," goes out of his way to point out Meursault's use of the child's word "Maman" when speaking of his mother. To use the more removed, adult "Mother" is, I believe, to change the nature of Meursault's curios feeling for her. It is to change his very sensibility.

Okay, so "Mother" is too formal compared to the original French, fine, I get that. But why, instead of using one of the many informal English words available (Mom, Mommy, Ma, Mum, whatever), just keep the original "Maman" in there? Isn't keeping a French word that a native English speaker would have no frame of reference for (unless they bothered reading the translator's note) the exact opposite of what he's trying to accomplish as a translator?

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Translation chat:

I started reading "The Stranger" today, and something in the translator's note bugged me right from the get-go:

Okay, so "Mother" is too formal compared to the original French, fine, I get that. But why, instead of using one of the many informal English words available (Mom, Mommy, Ma, Mum, whatever), just keep the original "Maman" in there? Isn't keeping a French word that a native English speaker would have no frame of reference for (unless they bothered reading the translator's note) the exact opposite of what he's trying to accomplish as a translator?

Yeah it's not like as if it's an untranslatable word like saudade or something. 'Mama' would have been fine, probably

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I can't remember Ward's reasoning, but certainly maman isn't too foreign to utilise - its meaning is self-evident.

And saudade has the obvious translation "yearning" and calling it untranslateable is dumb.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I'm reading Moby-Dick and realizing that it is in fact good.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Ras Het posted:

And saudade has the obvious translation "yearning" and calling it untranslateable is dumb.

There's a book called 'Against World Literature: On the Politics of Untranslatability' that has an entire chapter on saudade disagreeing with precisely that opinion

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

J_RBG posted:

There's a book called 'Against World Literature: On the Politics of Untranslatability' that has an entire chapter on saudade disagreeing with precisely that opinion

I don't care about some comparative lit idiot's opinions on language

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

J_RBG posted:

Thesis must have some pretty substantial merit then if it takes that much work to refute it

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
:420: what if./.... you can never truly translate anything, even the words said by different people in the same language, as tey mean something different to them??? and even the meanings you attach to any word change with time, so you have to translate your own previous thoughts to yourself, whichc you can't really do, because you're blowing two cocks at the same time and your mind is busy with the third one?

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Burning Rain posted:

:420: what if./.... you can never truly translate anything, even the words said by different people in the same language, as tey mean something different to them???

I literally have this exact thought written in a notebook that I wrote as I was reading l'etranger.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I always thought mother/mum/most other choices was bad translation because "aujourd'hui maman est morte" has such a nice flow to it as an opening sentence and something like "mother died today" or "my mum died today" is horribly ugly.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Me ma kicked the bucket just now :(

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Today momma died.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

All language is arbitrary, never speak to anyone ever again

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."

Heath posted:

I'm reading Moby-Dick and realizing that it is in fact good.

Next read Pierre and marvel at the fact that they were written by the same author just a year apart!

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
mum's right scarpered off 'er mortal coil

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

Me ma kicked the bucket just now :(

Time to join the military so you can shoot Arabs in sandy locations.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Moby Dick is indeed cool af

The actual story parts are OK but the whole insight into how a whaling ship works is fascinating.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
I think the main problem with "aujourd'hui maman est morte" in an english translation is that "aujourd'hui maman est morte" is actually in french.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
The solution: never read translations. Wanna read a book in a foreign language? Learn that language first.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

The Belgian posted:

The solution: never read translations. Wanna read a book in a foreign language? Learn that language first.

I did this for Le Petit Prince, and the experience taught me that L'Étranger is out of my league.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

The Belgian posted:

You will never learn it as well as a native speaker. Or the author.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You will never learn it as well as a native speaker.

Something something Nabokov.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

The Belgian posted:

Something something Nabokov.

That's different because he had synesthesia. He was always translating, from colors into language.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

The Belgian posted:

I resolved this after being introduced to Dante many years ago....

....but that didn't work out. The upside is that I have all the translations and comparing them can be pretty cool!

(Plus the Durling & Martinez volumes are all you really need, given the notes & essays. Although I actually think Clive James did an admirable job given the impossibility of his task.)

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

mdemone posted:

I resolved this after being introduced to Dante many years ago....

....but that didn't work out. The upside is that I have all the translations and comparing them can be pretty cool!

(Plus the Durling & Martinez volumes are all you really need, given the notes & essays. Although I actually think Clive James did an admirable job given the impossibility of his task.)

I'm still planning to read Dante in the original once my Italian's good enough. Also Umberto Eco.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You will never learn it as well as a native speaker. Or the author.

Actually I'm really smart so I will

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

You're going to have to decide by the end of Part 2 on whether or not you will continue, bud. While everything certainly gets more lucid and focused (in a way), all of your complaining points are certainly going to continue, and the entire last act will probably frive you to burn the book, yourself, or both of you in a raging fire. The best way I can explain the book is a parabola. Themes, ideas, characters and even jokes will be repeated or explained or completed by the books end, but on its own terms. And that isn't for everybody.
I finished Gravity's Rainbow a while ago and you were right, it did become much more readable and once I had a frame of reference even the last act didn't annoy me nearly as much as the first. There are brilliant bits and pieces throughout and I can see why people would laud the book but for me it was too muddled. Pynchon is astonishingly creative but a little restraint could have done wonders. I still hate his style. All of the slapstick and most of the cinematic/musical scenes fell flat for me because every kind of kinematic energy was lost when I had to reread a sentence for comprehension (admittedly I am not a native speaker but rarely do I have that much trouble). The ending was fairly weak for all the work you had to invest to get there as well.
One of the reasons I started to read it, was because I'd heard about all the references and was interested in how that would work. I am sure I missed most of them and most which I got or googled were interesting (it's a bit difficult with the internet nowadays to appreciate the effort and skill displayed here). But similarly to how pop culture references alone don't make jokes, historical references alone don't give meaning. Just to be a nit-picky idiot: At least half of the German sentences contained wrong articles or cases. In itself this doesn't bother me but for the references to work you need to have the feeling that they are all correct, which was a bit undermined by this.
Despite what I wrote above, I got a lot out of it and am glad that I read it. However, I'm not sure if I'll read another Pynchon.

Also I've read Ferdydurke and it was brilliant (though the ending is also not that great).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

true.spoon posted:

I finished Gravity's Rainbow a while ago and you were right, it did become much more readable and once I had a frame of reference even the last act didn't annoy me nearly as much as the first. There are brilliant bits and pieces throughout and I can see why people would laud the book but for me it was too muddled. Pynchon is astonishingly creative but a little restraint could have done wonders. I still hate his style. All of the slapstick and most of the cinematic/musical scenes fell flat for me because every kind of kinematic energy was lost when I had to reread a sentence for comprehension (admittedly I am not a native speaker but rarely do I have that much trouble). The ending was fairly weak for all the work you had to invest to get there as well.
One of the reasons I started to read it, was because I'd heard about all the references and was interested in how that would work. I am sure I missed most of them and most which I got or googled were interesting (it's a bit difficult with the internet nowadays to appreciate the effort and skill displayed here). But similarly to how pop culture references alone don't make jokes, historical references alone don't give meaning. Just to be a nit-picky idiot: At least half of the German sentences contained wrong articles or cases. In itself this doesn't bother me but for the references to work you need to have the feeling that they are all correct, which was a bit undermined by this.
Despite what I wrote above, I got a lot out of it and am glad that I read it. However, I'm not sure if I'll read another Pynchon.

Also I've read Ferdydurke and it was brilliant (though the ending is also not that great).

Keep in mind that GR is amongst his hardest work to read. Something like Mason & Dixon or Bleeding edge is much easier reading.