Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Bicyclops posted:

Final Fantasy XV and Until Dawn (the second one beacuse a bunch of people really want me to play it so they can see my reactions,?? I don't know that much about it).

You got a PS4 and didn't get Bloodborne? What are you doing?

You should get it digital anyway, so that you don't have to switch disks every time you realize you would rather be playing BB than whatever you're playing. I constantly have that problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

In Training posted:

Kids are soooooo dumb

i can't tell from the tiny pictures but using context clues i've determined that they're probably like five years younger than i am. wish i was born in a different generation -_-

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What's the problem people have with taking 15 seconds to swap discs

I get it with a 3DS/Vita but it doesn't make sense to me on console

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Investors are upset it is not exploitative enough.

Like the exact thing joked about a while ago when Nintendo announce they were going mobile is now a reality.

But it's also not just investors but seemingly younger(?) gamers who have been conditioned to be able to play games for free and then pay for things with microtransactions.

https://twitter.com/britishgaming/status/809697974544723968

Ugggghhhhhh this is part of why there's no good mobile games I guess.

Pay for a game and not get constantly harassed for more microtransaction money?!!?? No thank you! Mario Run is a mess!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm literally never going to buy a physical game again.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Snak posted:

You got a PS4 and didn't get Bloodborne? What are you doing?

You should get it digital anyway, so that you don't have to switch disks every time you realize you would rather be playing BB than whatever you're playing. I constantly have that problem.

Bloodborne I'm saving for a celebration when I get a new job, which might be soon.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

I mean, I have to get up...

And it may be 15 seconds when all my discs are stacked by the console, but if they are in their cases and their cases are put away where they belong, it's a much bigger hassle, like 45 - 60 seconds.

But if it's digital, it's like 4 button presses.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Andrast posted:

I'm literally never going to buy a physical game again.

Physical is £10-20 cheaper and until it's not I'll still be buying discs.

E: why is it adding that symbol in front of the £ even though I keep deleting it?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i don't care about switching discs but i hate having some games on disc and some digital. i need all one or the other

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

There's a charm to buying physical copies of games imo

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I do it because I hate waiting for download. Installing from disc is really fast and downloading takes loving hours.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I think the complaint is that most mobile games don't lock out content, just put a cap on how long you can play at a time. Which is lovely because it's a model dependant on whaling, but yeah.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Ahahaha Black Flag, you had such a good setup for an interesting take where the MC is neutral and caught between a group of murderers and a bunch of fascists.

But nope, native Americans are naturally assassins and Mayan magic stones. I love it. Ramming brigs to death and putting captain hats on random dudes owns though, so ill probably stop doing the mq as soon as i get the diving stuff and just see how many ships i can take on at once.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

My only issue with the physical copies is that we're trying to reduce the amount of space our media takes up, but if they're cheaper, well...

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

oddium posted:

i can't tell from the tiny pictures but using context clues i've determined that they're probably like five years younger than i am. wish i was born in a different generation -_-

lmao

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

my main concern with discs is the console's laser eventually dying but by that time there'll probably be some second market replacement part

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Snak posted:

I do it because I hate waiting for download. Installing from disc is really fast and downloading takes loving hours.

I wish Sony would finally do something to the PSN downloads speeds. I don't really play many games on console but good god are their servers garbage. Steam downloads are literally like 10-20 times faster for me.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Video game cases fill out shelf space well

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Waroduce posted:

Does anyone have some fun browser based games I can waste my time on at work? Either persistent ones like a sports management/civilization type game sim or tower defense poo poo. Idk

The Creeper World games are neat tower defense/RTS browser games where instead of waves of creeps or whatever, you fight The Blob. Creeper World Evermore generates a new random level every day.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bicyclops posted:

My only issue with the physical copies is that we're trying to reduce the amount of space our media takes up, but if they're cheaper, well...

I'll buy whatever's cheaper, yeah. It's definitely nice to have the games digitally on consoles but it's not like I switch games often enough where getting up and going all the way over to the TV! is that big of a deal.

I will sell games if I'm just totally done with them and never want to see them again though so 1 point Physical Games I guess.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Remember when PC games came in giant boxes? I do. When I was a kid, I had whole set of shelves displaying all my pc game boxes.

I still have a box of old Computer Gaming World issues I keep telling myself I'm going to scan for posterity, but I still haven't gotten around to it.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Guy Mann posted:

Yeah, people complained that it was just a boss rush game so they added levels, but the levels look really boring too.

The bosses already looked kinda boring either way.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Snak posted:

Remember when PC games came in giant boxes? I do. When I was a kid, I had whole set of shelves displaying all my pc game boxes.

I still have a box of old Computer Gaming World issues I keep telling myself I'm going to scan for posterity, but I still haven't gotten around to it.

The only PC games I have that are in massive boxes are the World of War craft games

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I get all my fighting games on digital so I can swap between them easily but everything else I get physical because its cheaper

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Snak posted:

I liked the big boxes that had a flap on the fron cover and when you opened the flap it gave you what the game would look like on your screen with the UI buttons and some splash text explaining things. I've never had a top-of-the-line computer so I just spent a lot of my time looking at these boxes and imagining how fun it must be to play them. Now with services like DOSBox and GoG I can try things I only ever looked at.

I did the same with strategy guides, picking them up at thrift stores or used book stores even if I knew I would never play the game. That's how I first experienced Lunar. Almost like a proto Let's Play.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I do kinda like having physical 3DS games because the little tiny cartridges are neat. There's no rational way to justify it; I just like kinda popping in a cartridge. It's oddly satisfying compared to discs or digital.

Discs are so artificial, man. They ruin my artisinal gaming experience! Hell if you don't have to clean off some contacts with alcohol every once in a while are you really even gaming?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Monkey Fracas posted:

I do kinda like having physical 3DS games because the little tiny cartridges are neat. There's no rational way to justify it; I just like kinda popping in a cartridge. It's oddly satisfying compared to discs or digital.

Discs are so artificial, man. They ruin my artisinal gaming experience! Hell if you don't have to clean off some contacts with alcohol every once in a while are you really even gaming?

I also love the spring pop and with the Switch being cart based we get another 5 years ish of more wonderful cart popping

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I like owning physical copies of Nintendo games because their digital storage is a tiny digital closet that fills up really fast.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

NES = pushing it down into the box, wonderful!
SNES = the eject button is very fun
N64 = ergonomic, mildly boring
Gamecube = tiny discs, fairly win. THe little button in the middle that popped it out was fun
Wii/Wii U = Boring!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, cartridges felt like being in some cool 80s science fiction movie

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i hate when you put a snes/n64 cart in and you can tell it didn't make a good connection. there's no little oof at the end

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Snak posted:

Yeah, this used to own, and also the manual was like a short (or sometimes regular-length) novel. loving. The manual for whatever version of Microsoft Flight Simulator I owned in high school was like an inch thick and had an entire chapter devoted to triangulating navigational beacons.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

oddium posted:

i hate when you put a snes/n64 cart in and you can tell it didn't make a good connection. there's no little oof at the end

This happened with the N64 cartridges way more than SNES. Maybe all the time, actually?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

deadly_pudding posted:

Yeah, this used to own, and also the manual was like a short (or sometimes regular-length) novel. loving. The manual for whatever version of Microsoft Flight Simulator I owned in high school was like an inch thick and had an entire chapter devoted to triangulating navigational beacons.

I wish I had gotten Star Control 2 when it came with the giant book and the star chart.

I also miss when Civ games would come with a foldout Tech tree.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

deadly_pudding posted:

Flight sim manuals were nuts. F-22 Lightning II came with a loving book full of modern dogfighting theory and poo poo. Games like those were so cool.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

they sell ebook manuals with eu4, some of which are hundreds of years old!! wow!!

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Snak posted:

Flight sim manuals were nuts. F-22 Lightning II came with a loving book full of modern dogfighting theory and poo poo. Games like those were so cool.

Falcon 4.0 came with an actual F-16 flight manual minus the nuclear weaponry stuff if I recall correctly. [citation needed], so any flight sim buff please shed more light.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Ostentatious posted:

There's a charm to buying physical copies of games imo

I feel this way about books but not any other media for whatever reason

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

oddium posted:

my main concern with discs is the console's laser eventually dying but by that time there'll probably be some second market replacement part

If your laser dies just use a cup with a needle in it and the game will project out of the cup.

In Training posted:

Gamecube = tiny discs, fairly win. THe little button in the middle that popped it out was fun

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I left every GameCube game I own at my parents when I went off to college a few years ago.

Except Kirby Air Ride. Don't know why.

• Locked thread