Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

victrix posted:

Haha, I could certainly put Locke back up until I get Noctis buffed, I have no idea if people use Cecil as a friend. Locke farming is still a thing? I figured he'd be hugely obsolete by now.

I keep three Locke friends around for when I decided to spend my vortex runs on the Chamber of Awakening. Unfortunately we haven't had an event where he would be useful in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

20 pulls.

Got my 1st Zidane, but nothing else of note. Well, he hovered up 75% worth of trust moogles!

Guaranteed 4*? Edge.

Twisted Eye
Jan 6, 2011
I'm not even trying for Noctis right now, I Dailied a Lightning so my luck must now be dirrrrt to counterbalance. I'll just try to Daily an off-banner Zidane finally and leave my hopes low

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
after 16 tickets today and my daily I got:

Charlotte
Terra
Garland
Faris
Luna
4* Vivi
4* Arc
Locke
Celes
Xiao - (Can someone please explain Kaiser Knuckles to me? Everyone is saying they're great, but they're only 101 Atk so I'm a little confused, wouldn't other things be better)
Luna
Faris
Mustadio
Fang
Luna
GREGGGGGGGGGG - MY first 5* base ever! Holy poo poo!

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Bit the bullet and went for an 11.

I was wrong.

The game wasn't done Sahzing me.

The Sahzing has only just begun.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

McSpankWich posted:

Xiao - (Can someone please explain Kaiser Knuckles to me? Everyone is saying they're great, but they're only 101 Atk so I'm a little confused, wouldn't other things be better)

Wind element is helpful in some instances, Snow's TM double stacks with them, and units that use Knuckles may not be able to use great swords which have higher attack.

Not an S tier TM but a solid A tier TM.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Two-Headed Dragon is down. I had Bartz, Refia, Krile, Kain and Charlotte + MrSwoons baller Luneth. Full up F2P with no TMs yet. Bartz + Refia + Krile has so much staying power it's insane. And now my Charlotte is up to 405 Defense with her new helmet and shield.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

OK, lets give it a shot with my 1/2 price and 7 tickets

Roselia
Amarant
Luna
Mustadio
Shantotto
Edgar
Faris
and Charlotte

at least I got Charlotte, all blue 3 stars. Maybe next week.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Did 5 pulls in total:

Chizuru
Charlotte
Freya
Roselia
Firion

So nothing of worth really. Chiz is nice but I'm not sure if she's replacing anyone on my team.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

KDdidit posted:

Rip only Locke friend unit

I'll hook ya up: 479,088,281 . My pull luck is garbage so my Locke is here to stay! :shepicide:

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Half: 4* Arty
Ticket 1: 3* Arty
Ticket 2: 3* Charlotte
Ticket 3: 4* Refia
Ticket 4: 3* Terra
Ticket 5: 3* Charlotte
Ticket 6: 3* Mustadio
Ticket 7: 3* Bedile
Ticket 8: 3* Charlotte
Ticket 9: 4* Chizuru (NEW)
Ticket 10: 3* CoD (NEW)

SO a non broken brains would stop here. 26 Tickets left 6000+ lapis.

Push me goons. Push me like a broken down car.

Ticket 11: 3* Fang (NEW)
Ticket 12: 3* Kuja
Ticket 13: 3* Ludmille
Ticket 14: 4* Hope (NEW)
Ticket FF 15: 3* Krile
Ticket 16: 3* Xiao

Don't touch me I can push my own gambling habits you filthy animals.

Ticket 17: 4* Agrias (NEW)
Ticket 18: 3* > 4* Mercedes (NEW)
Ticket 19: 3* Charlotte
Ticket 20: 3* Golbez
Ticket 21: 4* Chizwiz
Ticket 22: 3* CoD
Ticket 23: 3>4* Refia

Please stop game, please.

Ticket 24: 3* Frion
Ticket 25: 3* Charlotte
Ticket 26: 3* Luna

I feel like Fenrir but not hunting for a boosted 3*... I wish I could give away this stuff to people who need them.

Ticket 27: 3* Luna
Ticket 28: 3* Charlotte
Ticket 29: 3* Charlotte
Ticket 30: 3* Ignus
Ticket 31: 3* Sazh (NEW)
Ticket 32: 3* Krile

I'm noticing a lack of bedile, shadow, and sabin...

Ticket 33: 3* Bartz

Please

Ticket 34: 4* Snow (NEW)

Stop

Ticket 35: *****5***** Warrior of Light (NEW)

.... I'll hold on to the last ticket for now. A reminder to myself that I now have every character except Tilth, Vanille, Greg, Dark Cecil, Gaff, Ramza, Delita, Demon Rain, Draculass, Thief, Fencer, Juggalo, and Elza.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 16, 2016

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

victrix posted:

Haha, I could certainly put Locke back up until I get Noctis buffed, I have no idea if people use Cecil as a friend. Locke farming is still a thing? I figured he'd be hugely obsolete by now.

Awakening materials, specifically Sacred Crystals, are always going to be a bottleneck and having a few Lockes on the friends list for farming is always nice. At this point, unless you have a 600+ ATK unit or 600+ MAG unit, I'd rather have a Locke for variety. Even with this event I've never used any Lightning that was lower than 560 ATK.

And I've never needed a Cecil friend unit, even before I had my own Cecil.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
So glad to see lots of good pulls and not a in sight.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Cartoon Man posted:

So glad to see lots of good pulls and not a in sight.

All of the bediles slithered away after seeing Baram's

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Ok, so I have two questions.

First, is it worth using these Minituars outside of levelling FP units to sell for gold?

Second, my general party layout is CoD, Cecil, Refia, Gilgamesh, Agrias.
Now if I wanted some more physical damage units, assuming no TMs are involved, who's the best of the following to level up?
-A second CoD
-Bartz (I have two)
-Mercedes
-Artemios
-BC Lid
-Gaffgarion
-Kaine
-Miyuki

Also I've noticed there's a Moogle that sometimes shows up in the maze above doors to guide you, so you might want to hold off on going straight down the middle all the time and maybe check each door beforehand.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
I've had a few units at 79 and 99 that needed just under 5k exp to level up. Minitaurs were great for that since I could use a gigantuar on another unit instead.

The Happy Hyperbole
Jan 27, 2009

What's he up to now? Hard to say since we're not telling him what to do.
So, a question on team composition. I'm currently running with Lightning, CoD, Ingus for breaks, Refia, and Exdeath. I also have a Decil though, my only other 5* pull I've gotten since I started. Despite getting lucky on having several units that grow into a pretty strong team, I haven't gotten a whole lot in the way of TM pulls. No Zidane, or other strong passives. The best hope I have for Decil is grinding out barrage. So, the question is...

Is it better to go full physical and swap out Exdeath for Decil when I finish off Barrage? The space tree is strong, but I don't have any super mage gear, and dualcasting meteor seems to only get him so far in fights. I'm not sure if another physical unit would be better, especially now that I finally leveled Refia for embolden. Even without a lot of fancy attacks, Decil does have at least a really big attack score.

Also, is it worth having multiple barrages at all? It seems like MOST good attackers already have better built into their kit, but I do have like 4 Lunas right now.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have to say I've amassed a ton of Sacred Crystals last event and this one. Of course now it's more important to get the 6* stuff.

Shadowfyst
Jun 8, 2003

MrLonghair posted:

Noctis is my first "good" melee and jesus christ the difference he makes just by having him, easily outdamaging the normal four characters, no matter which I have on. Friend requests just pour in. Abilities are as MAD as they look. I'll look into clearing out my list for more goons once he's 100/100, got no TMs or poopsockerloot but still fantastic. I will be doing daily halfprice pulls because I want a second, a third, more.

You other F2P players who still are without these kinds of melee god units? Good luck. You deserve this unit.

e: putting him to serious tests in lategame content that's given me poo poo with what I normally have - he changes everything by being able to do everything. I might have to keep him as a friend unit for the forseeable future, will happily take a hint on which Esper he'd be best paired with, got an *2 40/40 Ifrit for him now

Based on this I decided to throw 5000 lapis at my first 11 pull:

Alma
Mercedes
Charlotte
Russell
Call of duty
Chizuru (FINALLY)
NOCTIS!
Luna
NOCTIS!!
Charlotte
Charlotte

That'll do game.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

The Happy Hyperbole posted:

Also, is it worth having multiple barrages at all? It seems like MOST good attackers already have better built into their kit, but I do have like 4 Lunas right now.

There was a time when there was only a single ATK +10% materia out there in the wild and a single ATK +20% materia that came from a whale chest in the cash store. It was worth putting a barage in one of your slots back then. Now you can craft ATK +10% at your leisure and it's better than giving up a slot for barrage.

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!
Daily + 12 tix down the drain:

Felt like the loving regular banner.

13th Kefka, 3rd Leo, 4th Bartz, 2nd Amarant, 4th Alma, 1st Golbez yay?, 1st Hayate YAY! ... 1x Chiz, 2x Charlotte

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
I got 4 charlottes out of 5 tickets and daily. Guess I'm doing dailies only now!

Cat Pilot
Jan 29, 2003

So many Charlotte's. I did pull a Cheez though.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Here's a moogle door if you haven't seen one yet. Go through it to guess correctly.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
How long do you have to wait to find said moogle door? I looked last time I ran through the Maze but none popped up. Is it like Bejeweled where you have to sit there idle for X amount of time and then it starts giving you hints because it thinks you're an idiot?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

The Happy Hyperbole posted:

So, a question on team composition. I'm currently running with Lightning, CoD, Ingus for breaks, Refia, and Exdeath. I also have a Decil though, my only other 5* pull I've gotten since I started. Despite getting lucky on having several units that grow into a pretty strong team, I haven't gotten a whole lot in the way of TM pulls. No Zidane, or other strong passives. The best hope I have for Decil is grinding out barrage. So, the question is...

Is it better to go full physical and swap out Exdeath for Decil when I finish off Barrage? The space tree is strong, but I don't have any super mage gear, and dualcasting meteor seems to only get him so far in fights. I'm not sure if another physical unit would be better, especially now that I finally leveled Refia for embolden. Even without a lot of fancy attacks, Decil does have at least a really big attack score.

Cartoon Man posted:

There was a time when there was only a single ATK +10% materia out there in the wild and a single ATK +20% materia that came from a whale chest in the cash store. It was worth putting a barage in one of your slots back then. Now you can craft ATK +10% at your leisure and it's better than giving up a slot for barrage.

Barrages are pretty helpful. I seem to be the only person tossing MP pots on my friend Lightning which is helpful for spamming the best abilities all the way through. TBH I'd rather have a friend unit that had Barrage than an extra ~15 attack because that meant I could get more damage out of them with that Barrage.

That said, if you already have one, and are moving it to DKC, a second really shouldn't be your priority for Lightning compared to Excalibur/Deathbringer/Blade Mastery/Sakafurubuki/Maxwell's and any Dualcast/Dual Wields you could farm.

Also definitely swap out ExDeath for DKC, Mages are best used in groups because you can chain their spells and simiarly so are physical attackers. Lightning and DKC chaining should be better than a pair of Meteors(unless you have ridiculous Vax level mage gear, which you said you don't), and considerably more mana efficient.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

McSpankWich posted:

How long do you have to wait to find said moogle door? I looked last time I ran through the Maze but none popped up. Is it like Bejeweled where you have to sit there idle for X amount of time and then it starts giving you hints because it thinks you're an idiot?

I've seen it twice in about 20 maze runs. If it's not there, it won't show up, waiting around does nothing. I think it's just a random bit of kindness from the developer to help you get more items, kupo.

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

Shadowfyst posted:

Based on this I decided to throw 5000 lapis at my first 11 pull:

Alma
Mercedes
Charlotte
Russell
Call of duty
Chizuru (FINALLY)
NOCTIS!
Luna
NOCTIS!!
Charlotte
Charlotte

That'll do game.

I mean, I pulled a Noctis earlier, but I gotta say I'm jealous of this luck. That's a damned good pull.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

HGH posted:

Also I've noticed there's a Moogle that sometimes shows up in the maze above doors to guide you, so you might want to hold off on going straight down the middle all the time and maybe check each door beforehand.

Really? That's pretty interesting.

Cartoon Man posted:

Here's a moogle door if you haven't seen one yet. Go through it to guess correctly.

This is great, thanks.

I guess Charlotte is so common so that you can actually use her shield.

On the other hand, I don't want any more Charlottes, I spent 10 tickets and the best thing I got was a second Exdeath and Artemios. And Charlottes.

I would like a Noctis please, game.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm sitting on the friend point cap, do they ever do friend point summon specials?

If not is there anything worthwhile I can do with a mountain of fp summon units other than feeding them for xp? A couple useful tmrs I could potentially combine?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

victrix posted:

I'm sitting on the friend point cap, do they ever do friend point summon specials?

If not is there anything worthwhile I can do with a mountain of fp summon units other than feeding them for xp? A couple useful tmrs I could potentially combine?

Once you hit the cap, do a ten pull 2 or 3 times and then max out your cap again. There are 3-4 useful TM's like stone killer, dragon killer, HP +10%, etc. Sell the rest for cash.

Once a quarter we get a friend point event where you can summon cactaurs and gill snappers, then you go all in.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

victrix posted:

They do, but they're stupidly uncommon and just add metals/gil snappers to the pool, not replace the pool like in some games.

That said, there are a handful of great FP TMRs! A short list:
  • HP +10% - Rizer
  • Dragon Killer - Skaha
  • Aquan Killer - Ollie
  • Stone Killer - King Giott
  • Sunbeam - Carrie (Does magic damage but takes on physical attributes like equipped weapon element and being DW-friendly! Good for Exdeaths)
  • Camouflage - Montana

It's worth noting that all of those units except Rizer are 2*-3* instead of 1*-2*, so they're a little rarer. On the other hand, Rizer's TMR is the only way to reliably get HP +10%, so you might want to Trust multiples of him.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

oh my god

oh my god

i don't know what i did with my arena team comp, but for two matches in a row i laid waste to motherfuckers in a single turn by smashing them with damage cap five times in a row, for each party member, with like dualcast spells and poo poo like that

it feels good to just cold lay waste to motherfuckers like that but i have no idea what i DID

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I break the damage cap and I wonder if this is normal or I cracked the code. ExDeath twin-meteor then top thunder spells from the rest, with the right timing that makes a lot of 999 all over but also numbers of up to 1200 and some popping up too. I melt teams.

I let Noct take the place of one of the Kefkas, I melt teams even BETTER.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009
Chaining lets you break the damage cap in the arena.

Between dual casting being allowed again and the buff to FFIV characters, my DD team of Luneth, Exdeath, and Rydia (with Cecil and Refia for support) do a good job of taking out opposing teams this week.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

MrLonghair posted:

I break the damage cap and I wonder if this is normal or I cracked the code. ExDeath twin-meteor then top thunder spells from the rest, with the right timing that makes a lot of 999 all over but also numbers of up to 1200 and some popping up too. I melt teams.

I let Noct take the place of one of the Kefkas, I melt teams even BETTER.

Chains get their damage bonus which lets them go over the cap. My 7 meteor chain ends up doing 1598 damage on the last hit due to the 60% damage bonus, for example.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

McSpankWich posted:

I've seen them three times so far. Always on the last set of 3 doors. I think this maze is loving with me to destroy my now high expectations later.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I was pressured into doing more pulls by the discord chat. I spent five more tickets. For my trouble I got:

Charlotte #4
Agrias #5
Amarant #3
Charlotte #5
Cyan

I took Cyan as a sign to stop. At least now I can make a whole team of Agrias for when she gets her 6*.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
is everyone tm grinding or running the maze

maze is nice but got so many tms to grind.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowfyst
Jun 8, 2003

Ratmtattat posted:

I mean, I pulled a Noctis earlier, but I gotta say I'm jealous of this luck. That's a damned good pull.

I was pretty shocked to be honest. The 10 tickets I burned last night were worthless in comparison.

• Locked thread