Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

SaturdayKnight posted:

And it's none of the major players. No AT&T or Verizon or Comcast or even Charter or TimeWarner or Cox. I hope that's not a sign that all the major players want nothing to do with helping people watch tv without cable.

Well after previously saying they don't work, all the major players are going back to data limits (this time at 1TB instead of 200-300GB.) You make the guess.

As a dope still using cablecard, I'm almost kind of ready and willing to throw net neutrality under the bus if it means these apps you get as part of your subscription aren't chewing into that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

Well after previously saying they don't work, all the major players are going back to data limits (this time at 1TB instead of 200-300GB.) You make the guess.

As a dope still using cablecard, I'm almost kind of ready and willing to throw net neutrality under the bus if it means these apps you get as part of your subscription aren't chewing into that.

Congrats, getting people against net neutrality is the entire reason they're bringing back caps.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Endless Mike posted:

Congrats, getting people against net neutrality is the entire reason they're bringing back caps.

I only meant in the same way as the T-Mobile thing with the music services. Either way, they don't have to convince me, they have to lobby Congress.

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

Craptacular! posted:

As a dope still using cablecard, I'm almost kind of ready and willing to throw cable under the bus and switch to uncapped fiber and Sling/Vue/DirecTV if it means I can actually access the content I'm paying for.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Uncapped isn't an option for me, and upon thinking about it I think that's why we've never never considered Sling etc. Even with the cable channels coming over TV to satisfy the people who watch TV, between Amazon, YouTube, Twitch etc we're already too close.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

If you're on Comcast, uncapped is definitely an option, but it's a $50 add on to your internet package.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

flosofl posted:

If you're on Comcast, uncapped is definitely an option, but it's a $50 add on to your internet package.

If you're lucky enough to live in an area where they're rolling out gigabit, it's uncapped, and you can get it for 80/month if you're willing to do a 3 year contract :v:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Is anybody having trouble with single sign on? I can't seem to log in to my parents' directv account. It tells me I am not authorized to access this website.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Mahoning posted:

Is anybody having trouble with single sign on? I can't seem to log in to my parents' directv account. It tells me I am not authorized to access this website.

Doesn't work with my DirectTV (not Now) account either. Since it's on the list I can only assume this is a temporary bug.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

skull mask mcgee posted:

If you're lucky enough to live in an area where they're rolling out gigabit, it's uncapped, and you can get it for 80/month if you're willing to do a 3 year contract :v:

It's extremely limited. I live in the Chicago area and I live in a town where gigabit service is $140 capped at 1TB (uncapped is an additional $50). The next town over has the $80/unlimited deal. Called Comcast directly and they said, "yep, that's the deal, sorry but not sorry". It's very frustrating.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/08/comcasts-70-gigabit-exists-on-paper-hard-to-get-in-real-life/

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 14, 2016

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

My TV demands must not be sophisticated enough because I bought an Apple TV 4 today, played with it for about 20 minutes, then put it back in its box and returned it in favor of my old Apple TV 3. Just about all I do is occasionally rent movies on iTunes and turn on Netflix while I fold laundry.

The ATV4 seems like a nice device, and maybe I'll revisit it down the line when I hit a limitation with my current ATV3. I'm curious to see how tvOS evolves.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

flosofl posted:

It's extremely limited. I live in the Chicago area and I live in a town where gigabit service is $140 capped at 1TB (uncapped is an additional $50). The next town over has the $80/unlimited deal. Called Comcast directly and they said, "yep, that's the deal, sorry but not sorry". It's very frustrating.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/08/comcasts-70-gigabit-exists-on-paper-hard-to-get-in-real-life/

Yeah I had to sign up and wait for them to get in touch with me. That was back in August so when they called I had forgotten about it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

skull mask mcgee posted:

Yeah I had to sign up and wait for them to get in touch with me. That was back in August so when they called I had forgotten about it.

Hmm... I'll have to give that a shot. I'm just concerned that I'll get on a sales robo-call list at Comcast.

Is this without the tracking and "ad insertion" the lowest priced gigabit was said to have a couple months ago?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Lol at 1tb capped gigabit, especially at that price. What's the damned point.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

flosofl posted:

Hmm... I'll have to give that a shot. I'm just concerned that I'll get on a sales robo-call list at Comcast.

Is this without the tracking and "ad insertion" the lowest priced gigabit was said to have a couple months ago?

I haven't noticed any ad insertion.

I think they mostly just wanted to undercut Google since they've been rolling out fiber in Atlanta. They even included an actually good router instead of the lovely one the normal service gets :v:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

No kidding. It's a god damned travesty.

Although with my current usage: 3 hours of PS Vue/day during the week, pretty heavy on college football days, a few movies and TV show Season Pass on iTunes, and moderate to heavy Netflix usage I've been using between 750-800GB per month. That's including working about 75% from home over a VPN (typically less than 1GB/day). So I guess it doesn't impact me too much.

But it's all a cash grab anyway, since I can move to no data cap for another $50/month. In fairness, I do have to mention that in the six years I've lived here I've had zero technical issues with my Internet service, just gripes about the cost. Also about the fact they are the only viable provider for my neighborhood.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

EL BROMANCE posted:

Our cable company's deal is even better -- gigabit speed, 500 GB/mo cap, $175/mo.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So...the TV app DOES search and jump to stuff on Netflix. And HBO Go. Even though every write up I've seen of this says it doesn't support them.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Old info perhaps? It does other cable apps like Starz etc too and has done for ages, but I can't remember if it could do them all at launch.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Vince MechMahon posted:

So...the TV app DOES search and jump to stuff on Netflix. And HBO Go. Even though every write up I've seen of this says it doesn't support them.

Search has been there for a while. What is missing is that while you can use the TV app’s universal search function to find a Netflix show then pop over to the Netflix app to watch it you can’t sync your Netflix account with the TV app. That means your viewing habits and past behavior don’t get incorporated into the “Watch Now” panel and it's not part of the overall "guide". You basically need to explicitly search for stuff rather than having stuff "surfaced" for you. That is a big difference and a major hole in the current TV app.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Ixian posted:

Search has been there for a while. What is missing is that while you can use the TV app’s universal search function to find a Netflix show then pop over to the Netflix app to watch it you can’t sync your Netflix account with the TV app. That means your viewing habits and past behavior don’t get incorporated into the “Watch Now” panel and it's not part of the overall "guide". You basically need to explicitly search for stuff rather than having stuff "surfaced" for you. That is a big difference and a major hole in the current TV app.

This is a bummer, but still much, much better than the previous set up.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I hate how I still have to hunt down all the apps that the TV rapture supports and that I have access to and then log in and connect each one individually. It's such a hassle.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

gret posted:

I hate how I still have to hunt down all the apps that the TV rapture supports and that I have access to and then log in and connect each one individually. It's such a hassle.

While I am sure this isn't how Apple wanted to roll it out, at all, there's no denying it is a total shitshow.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, single sign on being so lovely is the worst part. I don't see why it can't store that data and do it for you.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Vince MechMahon posted:

Yeah, single sign on being so lovely is the worst part. I don't see why it can't store that data and do it for you.

Well, most of the clients aren't set up to authenticate that way right now. The majority of them don't take credentials entered on the Apple TV. They generate a UID which you enter on a website. You then use your provider credentials to link that UID to your TV provider, which in turn is used to activate the app on your Apple TV.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

This whole thing smacks of somebody's bonus being dependent on shipping this year, either that or all the partner companies were dragging their butts so Apple released it to try to pressure them into integrating.

One thing I don't get is why I get signed out so often, I think some apps have like a 2 week timeout because if I haven't used one in a while I usually have to activate again.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

flosofl posted:

Well, most of the clients aren't set up to authenticate that way right now. The majority of them don't take credentials entered on the Apple TV. They generate a UID which you enter on a website. You then use your provider credentials to link that UID to your TV provider, which in turn is used to activate the app on your Apple TV.

Yeah it's very half-assed. Some clients were updated for launch and those were by far the easiest; just a popup asking for permission to use your stored credentials. Others require the old school method all over again, which gets old quick.

The lack of HBO Go - how? When Now is listed as a launch partner - Netflix, etc. is a bigger problem for this service. I am sure they tried and got tired of waiting but that doesn't make the end result any better.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Is it goony that my biggest beef with the new update is they've made the TV button on the remote drop you into the TV app now instead of back on the Home screen? I know holding down Menu will do the same thing (and did in previous AppleTVs) but I had gotten used to the old new behavior. :sigh:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ugh, I hadn't encountered that yet, but I know I will hate it too. I don't even use the TV app.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

You can mess with the settings to change that.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Done and done then.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
For some reason, pressing Menu is taking me all the way back to the home screen instead of going back a screen in some apps. I can't count the number of times I've watched a video and hit Menu expecting to stop the video and go back a page, just to find myself at the home screen again. I turned off New Home Button Behavior so maybe that's related?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

21 new screen savers released according to MacRumors. Gotta say, I love those things.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

gret posted:

You can mess with the settings to change that.

Didn't realize this. Thank god, the Apple TV screen was driving me crazy.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

For some reason, pressing Menu is taking me all the way back to the home screen instead of going back a screen in some apps. I can't count the number of times I've watched a video and hit Menu expecting to stop the video and go back a page, just to find myself at the home screen again. I turned off New Home Button Behavior so maybe that's related?

If you hold down or double tap menu now it takes you back to the home screen, as a replacement for the new home button poo poo. Maybe turning that off doesn't turn off the menu stuff?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
TV app would be better if you could tell it shows you've already watched and/or rate them.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this whole device would be better if it wasnt a apple device that allowed you to use itunes. so many mind boggling decesions

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

Craptacular! posted:

I'm running into the same problem. I didn't change the tv button behavior. It is annoying. Definitely started with the is update. I'll let you know if I find anything.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

milkaxor posted:

I'm running into the same problem. I didn't change the tv button behavior. It is annoying. Definitely started with the is update. I'll let you know if I find anything.

At least I'm not totally alone. They seem to have made a function, for people who accepted the new default of TV button = TV App, that long-pressing Menu will bring back the home screen. However I swear I'm just lightly pressing it and getting kicked back to the home screen. I'm just trying to back out of a YouTube video here and pick another, not completely quit the application.

For all the things it missed, this box was stable for a whole year until 10.2. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Getting it in YouTube today too. I'm sure it'll be fixed at some point.