Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i dont hate jj i just wish he would be more mindful of his peers

like chris is p weird but he is perfectly mindful of others

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Chris annoys me but I can't really identify why. I mean, "he can be abrasive" isn't really reason enough, since I like plenty of abrasive characters.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I like the little dancy kid I always forget the name of but the one everyone calls a chicken nugget dipped in ketchup, Yuri's fan. I want to see more of him just because I dig blending swing and skates.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I like the little dancy kid I always forget the name of but the one everyone calls a chicken nugget dipped in ketchup, Yuri's fan. I want to see more of him just because I dig blending swing and skates.

minami! i always gently caress up and call him nishinoya since they're so similar, lol

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

dogsicle posted:

minami! i always gently caress up and call him nishinoya since they're so similar, lol

Yea him! I really liked him and Yuri's little episode, that whole 'hey don't look down on me for looking up to you' thing was really sweet and it was nice to see Yuri have a fan who wasn't family or an old friend at that time in the story.

Plus his outfit was snazzy and him being a swing dancer stood out a lot before we had JJ ROCK

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I call him Yugioh.

I have this image of them painting cels minutes before broadcast.

Chedranian Girl
Sep 15, 2008

IS THAT A WEAPON?
Hello Hi, I'm the complete newbie to anime culture again. I heard about shows reanimating scenes and things for dvd/bluray release, is that common? Is it likely to happen for YOI? I don't often buy dvds anymore but I make the exception for shows I really really want to support. Relatedly, how the heck can I as a Brit buy any of the official merch? I've subbed to Crunchyroll but that seems like the best I can do right now. I'd happily buy some stuff or dvds or the CD but I'm utterly clueless how to it or where to go :(

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Chedranian Girl posted:

Hello Hi, I'm the complete newbie to anime culture again. I heard about shows reanimating scenes and things for dvd/bluray release, is that common? Is it likely to happen for YOI? I don't often buy dvds anymore but I make the exception for shows I really really want to support. Relatedly, how the heck can I as a Brit buy any of the official merch? I've subbed to Crunchyroll but that seems like the best I can do right now. I'd happily buy some stuff or dvds or the CD but I'm utterly clueless how to it or where to go :(
Someone else might have a better understanding of these things, but I think the short answer to the DVD/BR question is "it depends". I think the first BR is due out around the end of the month, so we might have a better idea then. I wouldn't expect an official English BR set until some time after the JP ones finish coming out, which may not be for 5-6 months yet (JP BR sets are notoriously expensive, if you weren't aware, like ~$60 USD per disc, often averaging 2 episodes per disc). As for other merch, Crunchy has some stuff up for pre-order here in the US at least, but I don't know what their offerings are in the UK. You may need to hunt stuff down through somewhere like Play-Asia/YesAsia/etc.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The distressing thing is that the fixes are going to be for the JP blu-rays, and there's no guarantee that we'll get that version for the American ones. Sometimes we do, sometimes we don't :(

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

devtesla posted:

The distressing thing is that the fixes are going to be for the JP blu-rays, and there's no guarantee that we'll get that version for the American ones. Sometimes we do, sometimes we don't :(

Is there any reason the US gets different versions of the home release?

https://twitter.com/JohnnyGWeir/status/809603056585187328

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
I'm shelling out for the blu-rays, so I am heavily invested in there being some animation touch ups.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

devtesla posted:

I've not heard of this practice but it seems kinda unlikely given the huge turnaround time between JP and US releases. for the most part we get shows around a year after broadcast and that gives maybe six months lag time between the final JP bluray and an English release. it's not the easiest thing to google though, so maybe there are examples out there that I'm missing.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's a licensing thing, often the contract for the TV version used for streaming is handled separately from the final disk version. It's not always bundled together, but this show is big enough that it likely is.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

My heart can't take this, what a beautiful interview. YOI is so good that its goodness bleeds out into the real world.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
That interview made me feel really good about a person and a thing i like liking each other.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

devtesla posted:

It's a licensing thing, often the contract for the TV version used for streaming is handled separately from the final disk version. It's not always bundled together, but this show is big enough that it likely is.

I would hope it would happen less now that people know to avoid that particular contractual pitfall.

Not that I'm bitter over Gatchaman CROWDS not having the real ending on the English Bluray or anything.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Chedranian Girl posted:

Relatedly, how the heck can I as a Brit buy any of the official merch? I've subbed to Crunchyroll but that seems like the best I can do right now. I'd happily buy some stuff or dvds or the CD but I'm utterly clueless how to it or where to go :(

There's quite a lot of anime merch importers like Otaku Mode/CDJapan but be sure to order early since pre-order goes fast esp for a popular series. You can buy blu-ray sets from Amazon.JP if you're willing to do a huge order to save costs on shipping. Also here's a listing of the well-known retailers that offer int'l shipping: http://myfigurecollection.net/about/partners/

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/soukatsu_/status/809686261862637568

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ah, walleyed Viktor

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
I can't wait for Yurio's pissy face when he accidentally catches the bouquet.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

I really hope that's not final because Viktor's eyes are hosed up

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

Adel posted:

I can't wait for Yurio's pissy face when he accidentally catches the bouquet.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Someone needs to draw that ASAP.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

I would hope it would happen less now that people know to avoid that particular contractual pitfall.

Not that I'm bitter over Gatchaman CROWDS not having the real ending on the English Bluray or anything.

Crowds still doesnt have the OVA version of the first cour's ending on CR afaik

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah, it's so far past airing there's no point in going after it.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

may or may not be the reason i havent watched s2 yet

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
Fun fact, JJ and Berg Katze are both voiced by Mamo :eng101: JJ confirmed for boob prison ending (Gatchaman ending spoiler)

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Everyone here wanted more math, right?

A bit more detail on Yurio's score
An attempt to figure out why Yuri received a lower score than usual, looking at PCS

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
Those are some really impressive and thoughtful breakdowns of both routines, I enjoyed reading them. In Yurio's case it's pretty much proof that their point system is modified, though that undercuts how ridiculously overwhelming Viktor's scores felt at the beginning (but only a little, I mean a perfectly clean skate with a quad combination as the last element, good god just toss the points and throw the gold at him :stwoon:).

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/soukatsu_/status/810772754375045120

http://peacocksonice.tumblr.com/post/154674805409/stephanes-quotes-about-his-appearance-with-help

This show is the perfect holiday gift.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

I think YoI was created by Santa because it's giving me all the things I wanted :shittydog:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

devtesla posted:

Thinking about ice boys

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

It looks like they both went to the studio.

https://twitter.com/yurionice_PR/status/810828700946206720

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I can't stop listening to the full versions of History Maker and Theme of King JJ. I've memorized the lyrics just by playing them on repeat. Also I'm suffering because I'll be on a weeklong trip without Wi-Fi and leave the day the episode comes out. I have to find a way to watch it or I might just explode.

If it sticks the landing it is definitely going to be considered one of my top five animes. I can't stop thinking about it.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

MattTheDoctor posted:

If When it sticks the landing it is definitely going to be considered one of my top five animes. I can't stop thinking about it.

ftfy

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

MattTheDoctor posted:

I can't stop listening to the full versions of History Maker and Theme of King JJ. I've memorized the lyrics just by playing them on repeat. Also I'm suffering because I'll be on a weeklong trip without Wi-Fi and leave the day the episode comes out. I have to find a way to watch it or I might just explode.

If it sticks the landing it is definitely going to be considered one of my top five animes. I can't stop thinking about it.

What's up fellow YOI music addict? In addition to Theme of King JJ and History Maker, I'm also listening to In Regards to Love: Agape and Yuri on Ice. And after repeatedly listening to it, I think Theme of King JJ has a sad quality to it that I only really began to appreciate after episode 11.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
So does JJ have one more program or is he not gonna do anything else because of being placed last in the short program?

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

If he nailed his free program and someone else absolutely flubbed theirs he could still theoretically place higher than last :v:.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I was asking more if he even gets the chance to have a free program or if he's like, not allowed to have one anymore. Friend of mine told me he wasn't allowed to have one so I was like "Awww I wanted to see him put on a good show." Like, even if he can't win, I really want to see him just put on a nice FP for his fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Hopeford posted:

I was asking more if he even gets the chance to have a free program or if he's like, not allowed to have one anymore. Friend of mine told me he wasn't allowed to have one so I was like "Awww I wanted to see him put on a good show." Like, even if he can't win, I really want to see him just put on a nice FP for his fans.

Barring a withdrawal notice, all Grand Prix Final competitors can go onto perform in the Free Skate as long they competed in the Short Program and received a score from the judges. The only reason not to compete in the Free Skate would be to avoid aggravating an injury since simply competing and finishing an ISU sanctioned competition, however poorly, gives some points towards your world standing rank. Yes, figure skaters have DBZ style power levels.

In competitions with a large pool of competitors, such as European/National/World championships, skaters can fail to advance to the Free Skate if they don't archive a certain rank in the Short Program, such as placing 21 when the cut off was the 20th ordinal. This isn't the case in the Grand Prix Finals since there are only six skaters in each event.

• Locked thread