Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

RCarr posted:

What does this even mean hahaha

Your system is a joke. Please switch over to waivers next year and experience fantasy football in all its glory.

Like I said I don't know why they decided to set up the league this way - it's been going for 6 years

Teeter posted:

I just want to point out that "involvement" is pretty bad justification for having no waivers. In a typical system there are both waivers and free agency. It's win-win, you get waivers to allow everybody a chance to grab players as needed but outside of Wednesday it's an open system. If Shady is announced OUT on Saturday, free agency means that any team can instantly grab Gillislee just like your current system is set up.

Waivers are partially there to level the playing field, however a big component as well is that they introduce competition for grabbing players at the start of each week or when they are dropped. Nobody is "less involved" because they can't grab a player immediately, they are every bit as involved when they put in their claim or bid for said player. If anything, there is more involvement because every team can bid if you're doing FAAB rather than just the first person who gets to the app. Waivers also prevent bullshit like add/drop collusion and limit the amount that certain teams get unfair advantages. I.E. My work blocks many fantasy sites, plus my office is under a parking structure so I get limited or zero cell reception. I can't reasonably make roster moves between 8am-5pm, so why should I miss out on players just because my involvement during those hours is out of my control? There are all sorts of situations like this that affect certain teams more than others.

To me, it sounds like the commish or certain people pushed for no waivers because it gave them a distinct advantage at the time. I don't see any reason why it should stay that way, it is more fun and fair for everyone involved with free agency + auction waivers. Also, a trade deadline.

Very good points and thanks for others' feedback. Our commish is on thin ice with a number of players and this might be just what we need to replace him and change things. For instance last summer a couple people brought up the possibility of adding 1 IDP and he refused because "It would complicate things too much"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Spoeank posted:

12 team league and 4 team playoff supremacy. Only the strong survive

I think it's sucky to have most of the teams in your league already eliminated from playoff contention by like week 8. I mean there's nothing you can do about someone who goes 1-7 their first eight weeks, but throwing in a wildcard match or two keeps the league interesting for the non-leaders for longer. If your league is super evenly matched and everyone is within a couple games of the leader, then nevermind, your way is fine.

Keith Atherton posted:

For instance last summer a couple people brought up the possibility of adding 1 IDP and he refused because "It would complicate things too much"

A single, token IDP player is kind of gross, though. There's approximately two superstar IDP guys each year, and then a slew of players that will do very well many weeks and not well others. It's basically adding a dice roll to everyone who didn't draft JJ Watt (when he's not injured...), plus a dice roll for whether the JJ Watt owner has his guy get injured. There are so many quite good IDP guys available on waivers that there's no need to roster a backup any time other than when your guy is on bye... and a lot of times, not even then.

What I'm saying is, get a decent set of IDP guys, or I wouldn't bother. My league does four: 1DB, 1LB, 1DL, 1 FLEX(DB or LB or DL). With that setup and 12 teams, a minimum of 48 guys are rostered at all times, which leaves the waivers in a state where you actually have to pay attention and learn about IDP guys and try to find someone who may break out, or matchup-dependent performances, etc. Plus it's worthwhile to put a backup on the bench for some of them. With this format, you need to add bench slots, of course.

Having four or five IDP guys starting also makes the IDP scores be quite important for winning (depending on your scoring, of course). You can set up scoring so that a very good IDP performance produces similar scores to a very good offensive player's performance, or, you can keep scoring low (reduces volatility) if you want the IDP guys to still play second fiddle to most of the offense.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 15, 2016

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Leperflesh posted:

I think it's sucky to have most of the teams in your league already eliminated from playoff contention by like week 8. I mean there's nothing you can do about someone who goes 1-7 their first eight weeks, but throwing in a wildcard match or two keeps the league interesting for the non-leaders for longer. If your league is super evenly matched and everyone is within a couple games of the leader, then nevermind, your way is fine.

Actually my league is super competitive and 4th place was a 4 way tie that came down to total points last year. This year #4 is 8-6 and #10 is 6-8. It takes a special league to do it but it's fun.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

MFL's stated policy is that they list all players as what they were at the beginning of the season. But, commissioners have the power to modify that, and can change any player to a different position.

Consequently, leagues hosted on MFL need a rule about when and how their commissioner should change a player's position. In my league we figured this out this year, and the new rule will be that any owner can challenge any player's position at any time; the source of truth is the NFL football team's own website.

We had to do this for a IDP player this year who was listed as a linebacker but changed to defensive end.

You can also make it possible for owners to swap a player between listed position and any custom positions you add for them.

See: http://www64.myfantasyleague.com/2016/support?SEARCH=player+position

Click the Ty Montgomery question for an explanation (basically, MFL's software can't handle dual positions, lol)

e. Note that a player only earns points for the position they're set at. So if your league (say) gives different PPR for WRs vs RBs, an owner with Ty Montgomery that you've set to be allowed to be set as a RB will have to decide which position they want him at, and can only get the PPR value for the position they chose.

Bolding mine, I'm for it, and am the commissioner in my league. Several members hate the idea vehemently though.

e: I even said I wouldn't implement the rule change this season, but would like to league vote for it next season.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 15, 2016

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
lol just had a fleaflicker stat "correction" (where I think they actually had the numbers wrong, not that NFL made an official correction) change a 1st round playoff result in one of my leagues. +1 solo tackle for Perryman on one side and -1 assisted tackle for CJ Mosley on the other, and now the 6th seed knocked off the 3rd!

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
I have Derek Carr and Amari Cooper. Last week was round one of the playoffs, and I should have lost, but thankfully neither myself nor the guy I was playing had teams that wanted to win. It helped that I had Atlanta's defense, and I won by just a few points. He had Russel Wilson and the Seahawks defense, so I was pumping my fists hard watching Green Bay pick off Wilson so many times and run up the score on them. I won last week because of that game.

This week I'm projected to win, but I'm worried about Carr putting up Junior High QB numbers again. I have Rapelisberger too, but he hasn't exactly been playing too hot either.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
My opponent started Rawls, Gurley, and Jimmy Graham. 10.60 points out of all three. I'm now projected to win by 25 points which means my team will hilariously poo poo the bed

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Made playoffs in 3 out of 3 leagues. Feel good about 0

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Several weeks ago, I traded Jordan Howard and Zach Miller to Tom's 2-5 team for Rob Gronkowski. Dick and Commissioner Harry threw a fit and tried to veto the trade for "obvious collusion." We posted the chatlogs of our negotiations to refute that, so Harry allowed the trade but both have been vocal about my team being illegitimate because I fleeced poor, naive Tom.

Poor, naive Tom hasn't lost a game since and he and I are riding byes as second and first seed, respectively. Dick and Harry just barely made the playoffs. :feelsgood:

Now I need to ask for help with a gross question. Who do I drop for Anthony "Mr. Playoffs" Romo?

QB: Dak Prescott
RB: Le'veon Bell, Devonta Freeman, Todd Gurley, Tevin Coleman, Dion Lewis
WR: Antonio Brown, Sammy Watkins, Davante Adams, Tyreek Hill; Donte Moncrief
TE: Ledarius Green

Bolded players are potential keepers next year. 12 team, standard scoring. I'm leaning towards dropping Moncrief because of his injury, but maybe Lewis?

Kaepernik and Flacco are the best of the rest on waivers.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Why are you dropping someone for Romo?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Because I'm worried that if Dak shits the bed against the bucks someone else could grab him leaving me to roll with Alex Smith.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Please don't roster Tony Romo.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
Do not drop any of those guys for Romo.

e: Absolute worst case scenario is probably that this unlikely situation plays out, in which case you can pick up Flacco, who has been just fine lately.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Keith Atherton posted:

My opponent started Rawls, Gurley, and Jimmy Graham. 10.60 points out of all three. I'm now projected to win by 25 points which means my team will hilariously poo poo the bed

Starting Gurley was dumb as hell.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

If TY doesn't suit up :ohdear:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Oh man, if Julio and Marshall don't suit up this weekend I will be lookin' real good.

Which of course means my team will score a combined 10 points.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I posted the other day about how I am the highest scoring team playing in the championship against the lowest scoring team. He now has a roster of zombies, as he's blown his entire FAAB this week picking up Sammy Watkins, AJ Green, Kenneth Farrow, and Alshon Jeffery. It's like the scraps of every team I beat are coming back together to doom me to another championship loss.

The fact that I'm relying on TY and Julio to do some work for me isn't helping.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I have both Julio and Hilton in a league (and Brown) but it's a two week playoff and I have a 30 point lead and Adams/SSS/Dixon to help cover the slack. Meanwhile, in GoonTier I'm going up against Hilton so I say gently caress it you need the rest buddy why don't you sit this one out :getin:

Hilton missed all last week and still played. Julio is more dicey because they most likely don't need him to beat the Niners, so there's literally zero incentive to rush him back if he needs another week.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Hilton missed all last week and still played.

Riddick had done that the week before and played but then last week he, uh, didn't. It's worrisome still imo.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Why did I start Gurley

what is wrong with me

(the answer is that as per usual I forgot about the Thursday game)

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Sitting Julio for all my playoff matches is real fun.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Because I'm worried that if Dak shits the bed against the bucks someone else could grab him leaving me to roll with Alex Smith.

Rostering 2 QBs is dumb and handcuffing a QB is even dumber. Don't do this.

Also you shouldn't be starting Dak in the playoffs anyway.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Falcons just promoted a rookie WR, J.D. McKissic, off their practice squad. It sounds to me like they're not counting on Julio. Might run this guy out against the niners just to see how he does.

e. yeah Julio's been ruled out. Sanu is going to play.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Benne posted:

Rostering 2 QBs is dumb and handcuffing a QB is even dumber. Don't do this.

Also you shouldn't be starting Dak in the playoffs anyway.

The guy I just played in the playoffs rostered 3 qbs all season

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Good lord, one of the other semi finalists in my league has had Gordon, Forte, and Julio go down in the last week. He's done.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Mo Sanu gonna get 500 receiving yards this weekend

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Spoeank posted:

Mo Sanu gonna get 500 receiving yards this weekend

Not too sure of that. The falcons are gonna go up by two or three TDs in the first half and then just run the ball against the #32 run defense in the league. I'd be starting all your Tevin Colemans, though.

MarquisDeCarabas
Jun 16, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Not too sure of that. The falcons are gonna go up by two or three TDs in the first half and then just run the ball against the #32 run defense in the league. I'd be starting all your Tevin Colemans, though.

My opponent has Freeman and Coleman :(

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

MarquisDeCarabas posted:

My opponent has Freeman and Coleman :(

This is giving me second thoughts to starting (one game wonder) Powell this week over JStew...

But I do need a homerun to beat DJ and Bell so whatever.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I had open offers with two different teams for either AJ Green or Julio Jones on the day of my trade deadline. I opted to go with Julio, then immediately afterwards AJ went down with his injury. The AJ owner shot me a text about how lucky I was to dodge that bullet. Weeks later, I've gotten maybe 20pts out of Julio.

On the plus side, I've got both Coleman and Gabriel so I'm hoping to be covered this week for part 1 of my two-week championship. Would sure be nice to get some action from Julio next week though, otherwise I just blew some great keeper options (Jordy Nelson 8th rd) for almost nothing. At least they listed him out early this week so I could slap him in the IR spot and get a free bench opening for the miraculous return of PURPLE JESUS

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
Would you guys recommend dropping Riddick for Thielen in 1 PPR?

Riddick is doubtful this week. My others RBs are DJ, Zeke, and Dion Lewis. Worried that Zeke will sit week 16...

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Pissingintowind posted:

Would you guys recommend dropping Riddick for Thielen in 1 PPR?

Riddick is doubtful this week. My others RBs are DJ, Zeke, and Dion Lewis. Worried that Zeke will sit week 16...

If the Giants lose this week then you should worry about Zeke sitting week 16.

Since if they and Dallas both win this week, there's still a chance that Dallas could lose the division by losing in weeks 16-17 since the Giants are only a couple games behind and did beat Dallas twice.

Giants are playing a decent Lions team thOugh. Of course the Cowboys could lose to the Bucs also.

I also wouldn't drop Riddick as your bench of Dion Lewis is p underwhelming. Are you that desperate for a WR?

VietCampo fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 16, 2016

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Gorman Thomas posted:

This is giving me second thoughts to starting (one game wonder) Powell this week over JStew...

But I do need a homerun to beat DJ and Bell so whatever.

Powell isn't a one game wonder.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

They're third in the NFL in WR fantasy points too.

Start all your Falcons boss

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

VietCampo posted:

If the Giants lose this week then you should worry about Zeke sitting week 16.

Since if they and Dallas both win this week, there's still a chance that Dallas could lose the division by losing in weeks 16-17 since the Giants are only a couple games behind and did beat Dallas twice.

Giants are playing a decent Lions team thOugh. Of course the Cowboys could lose to the Bucs also.

I also wouldn't drop Riddick as your bench of Dion Lewis is p underwhelming. Are you that desperate for a WR?

Thanks for the analysis, man.

My receivers aren't great...

Watkins, D. Adams, Alshon, Garcon, and Steve Smith.

Currently starting Adams, Garcon, and Watkins. Figure Thielen might even be the start over Garcon.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Cheap Trick souvenirs posted:

If TY doesn't suit up :ohdear:

TY wasn't on the last injury report.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction
In my first year of fantasy I somehow ended up with DJ and Bell, and took the top spot in my league. It's pretty great. But I'm paying for it with a weak WR core. About that, how often / how much do stud players decline over a season? When do they cease to be studs? In my case I'm concerned about Fitz and Amari Cooper. They seem to be out of gas. Especially Fitz, who hasn't had a TD since early October, and that whole offense seems to be imploding. Can I seriously consider starting a Ty Williams or even Taylor Gabriel over either of those guys?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
You guys think Forte is droppable at this point:? I need space for a kicker and I have to either drop Forte, the NE Defense, or the Texas Defense.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Wrong thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
Peterson is officially active

• Locked thread