Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Waffles the answer to all your serious objections is that poo poo owned, it happened like that because it was cooler that way, and shut up nerd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Waffles Inc. posted:

"We're a consular ship, we're on a diplomatic mission" Really dude? That's your lie? Vader chased your dudes to the door of the fuckin ship before you got away

"Darth Vader, only you could be so bold. The imperial senate will not stand for this. When they hear you've attacked a diplmoatic---" What the hell Leia? There's no plausible deniability whatsoever! Any recordings of any kind would clearly show the Tantive leave the disabled warship just involved in the huge engagement over the planet

Leia clearly went to Lethal Weapon 2 school of Galactic diplomacy. :colbert:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mr. Neutron posted:

(Whills, seriously? drat).

I mean, I know I shouldn't get excited about a Whills reference because I'm an adult who has generally moved on from his Star Wars obsessed youth, but I'm going to allow myself that one moment as my unabashed fanboy gush.

Or, maybe one of two. Vader's palace actually made my jaw drop with its Ralph McQuarrie goodness. It was my 13 year old dream come true. REALLY wanted the scene between him and Krennic to take place here, though:

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Tell me about writing for The New Yorker.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Super Fan posted:

At the very least this is better then the prequels, right?

God yes.

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
The final scene was cool as hell and I don't care if it doesn't match up perfectly with the start of ANH

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Genocide Tendency posted:

Tell me about writing for The New Yorker.

...what? This is, I gotta say, the weirdest non sequiter

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Magnitogorsk. posted:

The final scene was cool as hell and I don't care if it doesn't match up perfectly with the start of ANH

On thinking back on it:

I wish Vader only had that scene at the end and didn't have any lines in the movie. In other words, the first time you see him is when he lights up his lightsaber in that hallway.

That said, I thought it was fantastic universe building to show that when he's not needed he's trying to minimize his pain in a fortress dedicated solely to him filled with sychophants and Imperial guards. It added so much subtext to the space between Episode III and IV.

In general the movie did a great job with subtle world building and showing the banality of evil that an organization like the Empire enabled.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Waffles Inc. posted:

...what? This is, I gotta say, the weirdest non sequiter

There's a New Yorker writer who gave the movie a bad review and compared it to the prequels, saying it was lacking in comparison to them.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

WampaLord posted:

There's a New Yorker writer who gave the movie a bad review and compared it to the prequels, saying it was lacking in comparison to them.

Yeah I got that--I don't know why that's applicable to my own thoughts tho is what I mean

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Super Fan posted:

It's pretty much an MCU movie with Darth Vader at the end.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Philthy posted:

I didn't even realize Tarkin was CGI until Leia came on screen and it clicked that had to have done them both with CGI. They both looked entirely real to me.

But then again I was probably too busy having a Warsgasm from liking this movie so much.

It showed that the Force has its own will at times.

I saw it in IMAX 3D and both Takin and Leia looked amazing.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

UmOk posted:

It's pretty much an MCU movie with Darth Vader at the end.

Better than the prequels than. Got it.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Donnie Yen and the other dude were in the movie because TFA didn't do that well in China, which is now a major market for Hollywood.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

mashed_penguin posted:

I'm glad that most of you seemed to enjoy Rogue One. Its the first star wars movie I've worked on the visual effects for and it was a fun ride.

Most of my work on it was blowing the poo poo out of stuff in the air and ground side battle on Scarif.

Personally for me its the most enjoyable SW movie to watch since the originals.

Good job by you and everyone else involved on those effects. That third act big fight is right up there with any other fight in Star Wars for sure, and while my desire for big space battles in Star Wars can never be sated since I've read too many cool space fights in Star Wars books it at least appeased the beast in a way it hasn't been in a long time.

Waffles Inc. posted:

"We're a consular ship, we're on a diplomatic mission" Really dude? That's your lie? Vader chased your dudes to the door of the fuckin ship before you got away

"Darth Vader, only you could be so bold. The imperial senate will not stand for this. When they hear you've attacked a diplmoatic---" What the hell Leia? There's no plausible deniability whatsoever! Any recordings of any kind would clearly show the Tantive leave the disabled warship just involved in the huge engagement over the planet

See I liked this because it made me believe Leia had balls of steel to try to sell that line and take that approach. As for the rest, I don't mind making things not line up perfectly if it made for a cool story.

Pook Good Mook posted:

On thinking back on it:

I wish Vader only had that scene at the end and didn't have any lines in the movie. In other words, the first time you see him is when he lights up his lightsaber in that hallway.

That said, I thought it was fantastic universe building to show that when he's not needed he's trying to minimize his pain in a fortress dedicated solely to him filled with sychophants and Imperial guards. It added so much subtext to the space between Episode III and IV.

In general the movie did a great job with subtle world building and showing the banality of evil that an organization like the Empire enabled.

Considering it, saving Vader for the end would have been a dramatic gasp moment for sure, I think I would have just been completely floored im the moment if he hadn't shown until then, but looking back on it I think I would have wanted to see more of him, and I thought all the other scenes he was in were really cool and at least one made for a great visual on the character that we hadn't seen before. I guess I basically just come down on it with the same view you have.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Just got back, this was a pretty good Star Wars, I'd say about an 85, better than the prequel prequels but just about as pointless.

Things I did not like:

- cgi tarkin pulling me out of the movie every time...the Leia didn't bother me at all

- they killed everybody without making a super solid case about why I should care...the best characters were the temple guardians and the droid, never went back to Andal being a real murderer type, never expanded on the poor pilot's character, no elaboration of the villain Captain Napkin

- not every loving marketplace has to look like mos eisley

- Darth Vader dialogue

Things I liked:

+ rebel attack in Not Mos Eisley

+ eyecandy shots

+ droid being a droid

+ the very sci fi serial nature of the final mission (the plans are on cds, must realign the antenna!) combined with the horrors of war and some tastefully done xwing pov shots

+ hammerhead corvette :getin:

+ temple guardians were fun guys who didn't deserve to die b4 a sequel

Unplaced:

+ SECRET VOLCANO LAIR

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I really enjoyed this. I think I liked TFA more because it deals with the force more and to me the force/jedi/sith/etc are the coolest part of the Star Wars world but this was really great still.

Some thoughts:
- I normally hate stories where everyone dies because it normally just feels like a lazy way to try and add drama but it was done well enough here that I don't feel too mad about it. They do a good job of making each death make sense and have some weight to it. I obviously would have loved to see a few of the characters make it, but this being where it is in the timeline I kinda get it.
- I loved Vader in this, his castle was incredible looking and that scene at the end finally made Vader feel as terrifyingly powerful as he's supposed to be. To me, this is how Vader would have been portrayed if they could have done so in the originals. He feels way more like a monster force here than he ever did.
- The CGI Tarkin/Leia were a little off, but not enough that it really took me out of the movie

A Deacon
Nov 17, 2016

by exmarx

Super Fan posted:

Yes, unequivocally.

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
It's easily better than the prequels by far. I even think if I were to be completely objective and compare this movie and RotJ in a vacuum on their own merits, Rogue One is probably better. The harebrained scheme they cooked up to rescue Han at the start of Jedi is way harder to believe than anything that happened in Rogue One. Plus Ewoks killing Stormtroopers with sticks and rocks.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Magnitogorsk. posted:

It's easily better than the prequels by far. I even think if I were to be completely objective and compare this movie and RotJ in a vacuum on their own merits, Rogue One is probably better. The harebrained scheme they cooked up to rescue Han at the start of Jedi is way harder to believe than anything that happened in Rogue One. Plus Ewoks killing Stormtroopers with sticks and rocks.

Blind dude kills storm troopers with a stick too?

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 16, 2016

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Blind man with stick can be rationalized by ~The Force~ like tons of other Star Wars moments, even though that was one of the low points of the movie for me

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
That was a good movie. Not perfect, but definitely good. CGI Tarkin was horrible, though -- total uncanny valley. Definitely thematically distinct from every previous Star Wars film. I think it stands on its own very well, and it tells a good story in the Star Wars universe, but it doesn't really fit with the other Star Wars films. That's not a bad thing, though, but I can see how you'd be disappointed if you were expecting that.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

NowonSA posted:

Good job by you and everyone else involved on those effects. That third act big fight is right up there with any other fight in Star Wars for sure, and while my desire for big space battles in Star Wars can never be sated since I've read too many cool space fights in Star Wars books it at least appeased the beast in a way it hasn't been in a long time.

See I liked this because it made me believe Leia had balls of steel to try to sell that line and take that approach. As for the rest, I don't mind making things not line up perfectly if it made for a cool story.

Considering it, saving Vader for the end would have been a dramatic gasp moment for sure, I think I would have just been completely floored im the moment if he hadn't shown until then, but looking back on it I think I would have wanted to see more of him, and I thought all the other scenes he was in were really cool and at least one made for a great visual on the character that we hadn't seen before. I guess I basically just come down on it with the same view you have.

Thanks. Approximately 500 people from ILM worked on the movie plus some other studios as well. Personally it was a joy to work on. Its not everyday you get to blow up an x-wing or cut an AT-ACT in half.

My take on the whole Leia lying to Vader in ep4 is hardly anyone who survived to get on the blockade runner saw Vader. Leia sure as hell didn't see him. We don't know exactly how much time has passed between them jumping out and Vader catching up with them at the start of ep4. Perhaps Leia is just making poo poo up having no idea that the dude she is talking to just cut down a bunch of her crew and watched her ship fly away with the plans. I really don't think its as big a continuity issues as some are making it out to be.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
How did they do Cushing's voice? Also yeah CGI on that was baaad , but not to bad.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It was good in very different ways than the other prequels were good.

Tlacuache
Jul 3, 2007
Cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head.

Hollismason posted:

How did they do Cushing's voice? Also yeah CGI on that was baaad , but not to bad.

Sounded like Stephen Stanton, who does his voice on Clone Wars and Rebels.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

In the interest of fairness, here's what I did like:

- Diego Luna is very good
- Mon Mothma is foxy
- The opening scene is beautiful (the only good scenery and camera work in the movie imo) and I love the image of a defeated and darkened Luke who has terraformed tattoine having his past catch up to him

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I'm curious if people think Tarkin CGI Bad because:

A. It's bad CGI
B. I can tell that's not actually Peter Cushing

You couldn't trick me into thinking that was him, but I also didn't think he should be conducting the Polar Express...

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

It's good CGI, but it's super uncanny valley BECAUSE it is such good CGI, but not perfect.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I think it's pretty cool that Peter Cushing's estate gets yet more royalty checks from Disney & Pals as a result of this movie.

The Uncanny Valley nature of Tarkin was a bit jarring, but yeah, I think that has a lot to do with the fact that my brain knows he's CGI because he's dead. The Leia de-aging was pretty good, though.

That final battle was fuckin' top notch CGI, though. Easily amongst the best in the whole series. I loved how the X-Wing wreckage skipped across the surface of the shield like it crashed into a Jell-O mold or something.

Serf
May 5, 2011

The CGI is both very good and incredibly bad because of it. It was a good attempt, and I'm excited about the future of the tech, but it was a hot mess onscreen.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Ha! I didn't recognize that Krennic was this Fuckin' Dweebo in the Dark Knight Rises.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I also like that Forrest Whittaker is Rebel Vader and has a desert hideout to mirror Vader's lava one

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

As I recall, Saw Gerrera was a character from Clone Wars, and Anakin helped him invent proxy wars and terrorism.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

mashed_penguin posted:

Thanks. Approximately 500 people from ILM worked on the movie plus some other studios as well. Personally it was a joy to work on. Its not everyday you get to blow up an x-wing or cut an AT-ACT in half.

Say what you will about Lucas as a director or writer, I definitely believe he has a fantastic mind for business. For the original Star Wars he wanted Fox's visual effects team but it was shut down, then he wanted the guy who did 2001: A Space Odyssey but he was busy with Close Encounters, so he just went screw it I'll make it work with a small team of college students guided by some people who properly know what they're doing, and then it seems like Star Wars became the rising tide that raised all boats and gave ILM the prestige to keep growing, and all the while Lucas was getting his share of the growth as ILM's founder. When people think ILM the first thought is Star Wars, but they've done effects for a murderer's row of big franchises like Indiana Jones, Harry Potter, Jurassic Park, Back to the Future, most of the MCU films... I mean even then I'm leaving out some major franchises.

To me they're the hidden gem of the big Lucasfilm purchase, a major effects studio that provides a constant stream of income regardless of what any given film does at the box office, and I'm glad that Disney stopped at some layoffs (which must have sucked, but it's hard to imagine someone with a proper ILM resume pedigree looking for work for long) instead of deciding to shutter the whole thing like they did with LucasArts. I just felt like singing its praises since you're too modest too, if I was working there I'd never shut up about how great it's contribution to film is.

Waffles Inc. posted:

I also like that Forrest Whittaker is Rebel Vader and has a desert hideout to mirror Vader's lava one

I like that the Rebel Vader clearly doesn't mind sand at all, unlike Anakin.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Why did the star destroyers look like unpainted plastic toys?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I liked that the movie tried to make the actors look all 70s-style to blend in with the original trilogy. I saw lots of dudes with 70s rear end mustaches and hair.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

mashed_penguin posted:

My take on the whole Leia lying to Vader in ep4 is hardly anyone who survived to get on the blockade runner saw Vader. Leia sure as hell didn't see him. We don't know exactly how much time has passed between them jumping out and Vader catching up with them at the start of ep4. Perhaps Leia is just making poo poo up having no idea that the dude she is talking to just cut down a bunch of her crew and watched her ship fly away with the plans. I really don't think its as big a continuity issues as some are making it out to be.

Yeah, I didn't have a problem with that at all. The whole point of that Leia/Vader scene, even ignoring Rogue One, is that she's obviously lying through her teeth. It'd be like saying "those drugs aren't mine" during a police search. Vader's line in Ep4 about the intercepted transmission works just fine as a reference to Jyn's transmission from the planet.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Ha! I didn't recognize that Krennic was this Fuckin' Dweebo in the Dark Knight Rises.

What makes you think -you- are in charge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

There was a good panel at celebration where John Knoll covers some of the "vfx archaeology" that went into Rogue One.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUafi3EWBY8

Its worth a watch if that kind of thing interests you.

• Locked thread