Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Weapon name suggestion: Grendel, or Grendel's Claw

TL:DR - A completely combat-incapable chubby bookworm level 2 Adept in a 40k Dark Heresy campaign one-shots a higher daemon of Khorne with nothing but a basic knife thanks to ungodly luck.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Dec 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Julio Cruz posted:

Repeater on a Death From Above sniper is pretty good, though you probably need an extended magazine too.

I would actually say that's someone you DON'T want it on, because you need DFA to be reliable. It's more something for Heavies and Rangers - people who soften targets up. Or go big.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I only really use repeaters in campaigns where I can get the Armed to the Teeth (+1 weapon mod slot) continent bonus, otherwise everybody ends up with a scope/laser sight and xmag/autoloader.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
Repeaters are the things I just throw onto any open slots I have. Might as well use them because they're doing no good sitting in storage and my empty slots aren't helping at all. but if I get a more useful mod I'll replace em.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!

Veloxyll posted:

Ciaphas "HERO OF THE XCOM" Cain. Or just Hero

This is what I immediately thought of after watching that Archon execution, so I'm throwing my vote behind this. Or "HERO OF XCOM" would also be acceptable.

And while I like "Commissar" and "Jurgen" for the gun names, I believe its rightful name should be "Firing Line".

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Jade Star posted:

Operation True Roman Fire

I have no words for this mission. My words have failed me.

Voting for Nota Infiltrator

Also the backronym is
Rother
A'd
Gike to
Euck

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Really
Angry
Guy
Exosuit

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Veloxyll posted:

Really
Angry
Guy
Exosuit

...Suit

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Look, Tygen has many talents, but acronyms are not one of them.

It can be Exoskeletal if you prefer. Or Encounter.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Veloxyll posted:

Really
Angry
Guy
Exo-

there

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

If you have your veggies you can grow big and strong like a Berserker Queen. It's a
Radishes
Are
Good
Eating
suit.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

I just felt like reposting this Jade Star X-Com gif. Good memories.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Gridlocked posted:

That might be the most xcom poo poo ever.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Gridlocked posted:

What in the gently caress happened? How did the floor (ceiling?) just explode?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Rick_Hunter posted:

What in the gently caress happened? How did the floor (ceiling?) just explode?

Robot rocket I think. Looks like he tried to hide and the robot still knew where his squad was.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

monster on a stick posted:

Robot rocket I think. Looks like he tried to hide and the robot still knew where his squad was.

I thought it was the fire damage, but yeah I can see that rocket splosion now

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Okay so I slacked off for a few days, let's talk about what happened.

We saw the arrival and sudden unexpected death of the final Alien Ruler, the Archon King. The Archon King is notable for a few reasons and largely considered a bit too much on the heaping of alien ruler BS that the DLC serves up. On the defensive side of things the King starts well armored, meaning the first thing that is needed is to shred his armor so you can even begin to start chipping away at his mountain of of 120 HP. Explosions are your friend as usual and more so in the case of the King as he sports a pretty nasty innate defense bonus. Simply dealing enough damage to the Archon King to kill it is usually a three mission task. On the offensive side of things the Archon King has 4 methods of attack. Two standard attacks just like the regular Archons, melee and a ranged shot. Those are fairly easy to deal with and not at all the problem with the King. The first special attack the King has is a two part attack. He will grab and lift a soldier into the air where you have one action to deal damage tot he King to make him drop the soldier, which is somehow a harmless drop from like 30ft up. If you do not injure the King he will choke slam the soldier to the ground for significant damage and the high chances of inflicting Stun or Unconscious on the soldier. The second special attack is similar to the regular archons, the King will fly up and designate 4 targets with red beams of light. After one action missiles will rain from the sky on those targets causing minor damage per individual missile, but all missiles have high odds of inflicting Stun or Unconscious. The real threat of the Archon King isn't super lethality in a single attack but rather the multiple ways the King can disrupt your team and disable several of them while continuing to fight while you are short handed. On a second or third confrontation the King is usually flanked by 2 regular archons, adding to your problems and the potental for incoming damage every turn. Combined with his huge defenses this can easily make him the hardest thing to fight in the whole game.

By now I think we were all familiar with the sudden break in normal turn order that Rulers brought with them. It goes from turn based to 'I go, you go' where they react for ever single action you take. What people might not know is that Rulers will still react to you if you end your turn with unspent actions. Now this is safe to do when they are frozen as I did so in the video, but do it again when they aren't frozen and suddenly they will take your entire turns worth of unused actions and act on them at once. For example what I did was end my turn after the first missed shot leaving 5 soldiers with full action points left doing nothing. The Archon King sees that and then takes 5 actions of its own. Which is devastating. Don't do that. Sadly you can't end your turn early just to cut down on the number of wasted actions you take.

Ciaphus Cain, Hero of the Imperium, and repeaters. I covered weapon mods way early in the LP but let's take an extra moment to talk about them after what just happened. Cain has been using a basic repeater since about as early as I could mount weapon mods. Repeaters come in three tiers like everything else and give a 5/10/15% chance of instantly killing a target on a hit. When the trigger and murder something it's great, but they can be unreliable. When then go off is a mystery and unpredictable meaning it could be wasted. As an example, imagine you're shooting at a weakened alien, some sectoid that already took a hit from someone else is sitting at 4hp. You shoot at it and the repeater activates killing it instantly. Hurray you might think for a moment, before realizing that a hit from your gun would have done 4 or more damage anyway. In that case the repeaters effect is wasted. There is of course the exact opposite situation too. As example, imagine setting up a overwatch trap to ambush the first pod of the map or anything else that hasn't been engaged yet. Something big and scary like a sectopod or Archon comes into view and then suddenly Bam! The big scary thing is instantly killed. Your repeater just saved you maybe 3+ actions trying to kill an alien. It's super useful in that case! However if you look at these two examples you can see the wide disparity between circumstances when a repeater might choose to activate. It might be a huge plus to kill a big bad right away, or it might be completely inconsequential as the shot was destined to kill its target anyway with out help from the repeated. It comes down to a players choice how they want to prioritize repeaters. The risk and reward of repeaters can be high, but the reliability of other mods like stocks or free reloads is a certainty you can count on every time.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Jade Star posted:

Okay so I slacked off for a few days, let's talk about what happened.

We saw the arrival and sudden unexpected death of the final Alien Ruler, the Archon King. The Archon King is notable for a few reasons and largely considered a bit too much on the heaping of alien ruler BS that the DLC serves up. On the defensive side of things the King starts well armored, meaning the first thing that is needed is to shred his armor so you can even begin to start chipping away at his mountain of of 120 HP. Explosions are your friend as usual and more so in the case of the King as he sports a pretty nasty innate defense bonus. Simply dealing enough damage to the Archon King to kill it is usually a three mission task. On the offensive side of things the Archon King has 4 methods of attack. Two standard attacks just like the regular Archons, melee and a ranged shot. Those are fairly easy to deal with and not at all the problem with the King. The first special attack the King has is a two part attack. He will grab and lift a soldier into the air where you have one action to deal damage tot he King to make him drop the soldier, which is somehow a harmless drop from like 30ft up. If you do not injure the King he will choke slam the soldier to the ground for significant damage and the high chances of inflicting Stun or Unconscious on the soldier. The second special attack is similar to the regular archons, the King will fly up and designate 4 targets with red beams of light. After one action missiles will rain from the sky on those targets causing minor damage per individual missile, but all missiles have high odds of inflicting Stun or Unconscious. The real threat of the Archon King isn't super lethality in a single attack but rather the multiple ways the King can disrupt your team and disable several of them while continuing to fight while you are short handed. On a second or third confrontation the King is usually flanked by 2 regular archons, adding to your problems and the potental for incoming damage every turn. Combined with his huge defenses this can easily make him the hardest thing to fight in the whole game.

By now I think we were all familiar with the sudden break in normal turn order that Rulers brought with them. It goes from turn based to 'I go, you go' where they react for ever single action you take. What people might not know is that Rulers will still react to you if you end your turn with unspent actions. Now this is safe to do when they are frozen as I did so in the video, but do it again when they aren't frozen and suddenly they will take your entire turns worth of unused actions and act on them at once. For example what I did was end my turn after the first missed shot leaving 5 soldiers with full action points left doing nothing. The Archon King sees that and then takes 5 actions of its own. Which is devastating. Don't do that. Sadly you can't end your turn early just to cut down on the number of wasted actions you take.

Ciaphas Cain, Hero of the Imperium, and repeaters. I covered weapon mods way early in the LP but let's take an extra moment to talk about them after what just happened. Cain has been using a basic repeater since about as early as I could mount weapon mods. Repeaters come in three tiers like everything else and give a 5/10/15% chance of instantly killing a target on a hit. When the trigger and murder something it's great, but they can be unreliable. When then go off is a mystery and unpredictable meaning it could be wasted. As an example, imagine you're shooting at a weakened alien, some sectoid that already took a hit from someone else is sitting at 4hp. You shoot at it and the repeater activates killing it instantly. Hurray you might think for a moment, before realizing that a hit from your gun would have done 4 or more damage anyway. In that case the repeaters effect is wasted. There is of course the exact opposite situation too. As example, imagine setting up a overwatch trap to ambush the first pod of the map or anything else that hasn't been engaged yet. Something big and scary like a sectopod or Archon comes into view and then suddenly Bam! The big scary thing is instantly killed. Your repeater just saved you maybe 3+ actions trying to kill an alien. It's super useful in that case! However if you look at these two examples you can see the wide disparity between circumstances when a repeater might choose to activate. It might be a huge plus to kill a big bad right away, or it might be completely inconsequential as the shot was destined to kill its target anyway with out help from the repeated. It comes down to a players choice how they want to prioritize repeaters. The risk and reward of repeaters can be high, but the reliability of other mods like stocks or free reloads is a certainty you can count on every time.

ftfy

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Jade Star posted:

What we can also intuit is that it's only 1 turn of debuffs when it scoops up all your unused actions. So if you've banged the Ruler or have otherwise crippled them, you COULD let them have a turn with extra actions while they are impeded. if for some reason you haven't frozen their butt.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Veloxyll posted:

So if you've banged the Ruler

I mean I know Archons have rippling abs but

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

CJacobs posted:

Pfft, like you wouldn't...

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

CJacobs posted:

~Advent calendar~

Also short and sweet on repeater: Nice to have, but don't count on it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

One thing Jade isn't going to get to demonstrate now is how Rulers interact with Psionics. The only thing that I can remember about them is that Stasis freezes the ruler until your next turn, so you can use that to set up your guys without having to worry about Ruler Reactions. I think they're also immune to mind control effects, but don't quote me on that one.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

I've seen them thaw after 1 turn, but not entirely sure how consistent this is.
Stacking DoT damage seems to crack their AI just a bit and leave them standing there not doing anything.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Kwyndig posted:

One thing Jade isn't going to get to demonstrate now is how Rulers interact with Psionics. The only thing that I can remember about them is that Stasis freezes the ruler until your next turn, so you can use that to set up your guys without having to worry about Ruler Reactions. I think they're also immune to mind control effects, but don't quote me on that one.

A mind controlled ruler would be amazing :allears:

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Wouldn't it only last for however many actions instead of however many turns?

...would it react to its own actions by taking another action?

Actually, do rulers respond to mind controlled aliens taking turns? How about mind controlled members of XCOM?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Mind controlled members of X-Com count as aliens, mind controlled aliens count as X-Com.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

I've seen them thaw after 1 turn, but not entirely sure how consistent this is.
Stacking DoT damage seems to crack their AI just a bit and leave them standing there not doing anything.

It broke the game for a bit when they were released.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I have gotten a big behind on the LP, but I just binged through the last five episodes and good God drat that was wonderful, and a great place to leave off. Took me a second to realize what had happened but then it was amazing.

Name the gun Guava's Rage and change Ciaphas's nickname to Gift Horseshit and recruit Nota.

Also change Siobhan's nickname to Underworld

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I vote you recruit Midnight Voyager so I can ruin everything!

And I like Guava's Rage for the gun.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Midnight Voyager posted:

If this vote is still going, I'll back these.

Nota's joke was done better with Chris Salid in the other lp.

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

We can't go back no more, but I suppose we can go wherever we please.
You get bullshit and YOU get bullshit. Everyone gets bullshit!

Midnight Voyager posted:

Biased but I'll back this also. Hopefully any fire based weaponry are worth a drat to use.

MisterFuzzles fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Dec 27, 2016

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Field Commander's Guide to the Resistance, huh?

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Operation War of the Llancarfan

With our Unexpected Troubles behind us I take several of the lower leveled soldiers out for an easy guerrilla mission to help them earn some promotions. What could go wrong eh?

New enemy type Andromedon's! Andromedon's are a brand new enemy type, unlike anything in the original Julian Gollop X-Com or the first Jake Solomon XCom. They first appear as big beefy armored environmental suits, and I've heard some people compare them visually to Big Daddies of Bio-Shock. They carry a multi use weapon capable of standard fire on par with a plasma rifle but also launching a grenade like attack. This special attack lobs a glob of what is assumed to be the fluid inside the suit that the creature inside normally breathes or lives in, which comes across normal human live as terrible toxic acid. The blob will explode for damage and coat the entire area in an acid puddle, as well as inflicting the acid burn status on everyone caught up in the blast. This is absolutely terrible to be hit by. It causes a lot of damage and then more damage over time caused by the acid burn effect. Avoid getting hit by this at all costs. Other important things to note include the Andromedon's robust pool of HP, being almost as hearty as an Archon but also the Andromedon's heavy armor rating of 4 points of armor. They're going to take a fair bit of armor shredding and then will require a couple of good strong hits to bring down. A 4 armor 18 HP alien is usually a turns worth concentrated fire in their own right, and I would prioritize these guys at primary targets due to the high lethality of their area effect attack.

Things can get worse though! Once you down an Andromedon and the pilot dies the mechanized suit remains intact enough to move on it's own! The suit can not use the Andromedon's gun thankfully and is a less lethal opponent. However it becomes a somewhat suicidal melee enemy with only one objective, to punch your men in the face. The punch will hurt, a lot, but it's not super devastating on its own. In most cases it's a good idea to kill an Andromedon from far away when possible, so that when the suit takes over it is out of reach of anyone for a turn and you can safely destroy the suit before it harms anyone. Lastly the suit leaks the toxic acid it contains and leaves behind a trail of acid covering every tile of terrain it runs over. Not super dangerous, but it can make an unpleasant obstacle for a turn or two if it creates an acid trail in front of where you need to go.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jade Star posted:

New enemy type Andromedon's! Andromedon's are a brand new enemy type, unlike anything in the original Julian Gollop X-Com or the first Jake Solomon XCom. They first appear as big beefy armored environmental suits, and I've heard some people compare them visually to Big Daddies of Bio-Shock.

They're Calcinites from Terror From The Deep, with a dash of Deep Ones for how their gun works.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Hmm, maybe. I hadn't considered going back and looking at ATFD guys, but they don't look like 'em. They look larger more angular sectoids. As i think I said in the video I first thought they were just sectoids stuffed in a suit.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

myth reference

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jade Star posted:

Hmm, maybe. I hadn't considered going back and looking at ATFD guys, but they don't look like 'em. They look larger more angular sectoids. As i think I said in the video I first thought they were just sectoids stuffed in a suit.

They look like Calcinites to me - big, bulky environmental suit tromping around everywhere with a potent melee attack. Especially what with the yellow helmet.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

I tend to not bother with WAR/Warden gear. Just build enough exo/spider suits for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Heh is there a reason the viper king is (south park) Canadian?

• Locked thread