Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

The cameras have an opaque piece of plastic on them and only see infrared light.

Have you seen my infrared curves!?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I'm really curious what the actual engineering problem with wireless is and how they've tried to solve it. I'd assume the latency is introduced by the digital processing delay of signal modulation and networking overhead. You'd think with a single trusted device and a short, clear propagation path there a lot of interesting things you could do to "cheat" and get dproc down.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cojawfee posted:

The cameras have an opaque piece of plastic on them and only see infrared light.

And they aren't always on, even.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
I tried plugging my Rift into a laptop, in the hopes of maybe being able to take it all with me to my parents' place for some demos to the extended family, but after installing the Oculus software, nothing appeared on the HMD. Is there any chance of getting this to work? The CPU meets minimum spec (Haswell i7), but the video is well below (750m SLI); regardless I thought it might at least be able to run Dreamdeck. Or do the power-conserving features make it incompatible? I feel like I saw someone mention that here months ago.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

I tried plugging my Rift into a laptop, in the hopes of maybe being able to take it all with me to my parents' place for some demos to the extended family, but after installing the Oculus software, nothing appeared on the HMD. Is there any chance of getting this to work? The CPU meets minimum spec (Haswell i7), but the video is well below (750m SLI); regardless I thought it might at least be able to run Dreamdeck. Or do the power-conserving features make it incompatible? I feel like I saw someone mention that here months ago.

Unless you get one of those new laptops that have a desktop 1070 in them, you won't be able to do VR on a laptop. Laptops have way too high latency between rendering and display.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cojawfee posted:

Unless you get one of those new laptops that have a desktop 1070 in them, you won't be able to do VR on a laptop. Laptops have way too high latency between rendering and display.

The latency comes from the dGPU having to traverse the iGPU to scan a frame out, which is independent of the power of the dGPU, but not all laptops have that architecture. Somewhat ironically, MBPs have the right setup for the dGPU to scan out directly.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

So you're saying that Facebook could see that time I lit my dick on fire?!

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

And they aren't always on, even.

"Don't worry, the camera isn't on" is not a phrase that inspires trust in people. Quite the opposite, really.

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

if it's an "optimus" laptop - most Nvidia laptops are - then the Rift won't work, because the HDMI connector comes out of the Intel GPU not the Nvidia GPU, and Oculus's drivers only support being connected directly to an Nvidia or AMD card.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
Yeah, I figured there would be some fundamental issue there. Oh well, guess the fam will have to settle for a GearVR.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

NRVNQSR posted:

"Don't worry, the camera isn't on" is not a phrase that inspires trust in people. Quite the opposite, really.

Literally every camera connected to a computer turns a light on when it is in use.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cojawfee posted:

Literally every camera connected to a computer turns a light on when it is in use.

To be fair, there have been attacks where the cameras on laptops were enabled but the light suppressed (because it wasn't electrically linked). I don't remember how the Constellation cameras are built from that perspective.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Just accept that you're already being spied on through your computer's normal webcam, your cell phone, various satellites, and god knows what else. What does one or two more cameras hurt? If the NSA wants to watch me walking around in my underwear and playing video games, well have fun boys

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Trip report, "I expect you to die" and "Super HOT"

Really fun, extremely short. Disappointingly so. I finished in about 3 hours and 1 hour respectively. I was sad super hot never gave you the sword (that I saw, anyway) like the normal mode does, and it's a bit weird to have zero mobility. I expect you to die ended up being completely opposite to what I was expecting - that of some carefully contrived death trap the villain puts you in after they catch you. It's actually just missions where things go wrong midway and you have to react to it. There were also only 4 missions which is, imo, 2-4 too short.

I also got my third camera and it didn't help as much as I thought it would, so I'm moving them from a triangle formation to more of the suggested 2 in front, one in one of the back corners.

UScr00ge
Mar 15, 2001

I just set up my 3rd Oculus sensor since it arrived today. Following the guide that was linked on the included business card (ocul.us/360support) and having some pretty significant jitter issues with both the headset and the controllers. Anyone else set up their 3rd sensor and have any tips or run into anything that sounds familar? When it goes bad, it goes real bad .... i warp 2 feet to the right and warp back to my original spot in about 100 milliseconds. Did not run into anything like this with the 2 sensor setup.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

UScr00ge posted:

I just set up my 3rd Oculus sensor since it arrived today. Following the guide that was linked on the included business card (ocul.us/360support) and having some pretty significant jitter issues with both the headset and the controllers. Anyone else set up their 3rd sensor and have any tips or run into anything that sounds familar? When it goes bad, it goes real bad .... i warp 2 feet to the right and warp back to my original spot in about 100 milliseconds. Did not run into anything like this with the 2 sensor setup.

Did you plug the third one into a USB 2 instead of a USB 3? They said there may be bandwidth issues if everything is plugged into USB 3.

Aside from that, I dunno, I've just been using two sensors on diagonal and that's working fine, but I have a small-ish VR area.

UScr00ge
Mar 15, 2001

Yeah, it's in a 2.0 port. The pdf also says if you use the included extension USB cable (I am) it will clock it down to USB2.0 speeds, so in theory a 3.0 port should be fine too. Regardless, i'm going to try to swap around some ports now. Thanks!

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

UScr00ge posted:

Going off this? https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/t39.2365-6/15363893_1774761836111478_5342883442994446336_n.pdf

I ended up getting 3 cameras working by plugging them all into a powered usb 3.0 hub, then making sure I set the cameras up in the diagram, and facing the indicated direction when doing the initial sensor tracking step (this turned out to be oddly super important, I had TERRIBLE tracking till I faced perpendicular to all the cameras.)

Had to use the USB2.0 cable included, running three cameras off 3.0 overloaded the interface. Tried plugging my hub into my 3.1 port (this mITX mini computer i'd built specifically for VR has no usb2.0 ports) and it complained about bad drivers while giving me really poor tracking, even though it passed all 3 (or even 4) cameras when it was going the connection test. 4 cameras was just right out. Nothing but horrible controller jitter, even if all the cameras stuck around through the entire guardian setup.

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 16, 2016

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Jarmak posted:

I'm really curious what the actual engineering problem with wireless is and how they've tried to solve it. I'd assume the latency is introduced by the digital processing delay of signal modulation and networking overhead. You'd think with a single trusted device and a short, clear propagation path there a lot of interesting things you could do to "cheat" and get dproc down.

The main problem is actually bandwidth, which leads into latency. Wireless connections aren't nearly fast enough to carry the 2160x1200 90 fps video used by modern VR headsets, which means they have to be compressed, which introduces unacceptably high latency. The actual signal processing is much less of a problem, though with VR lower latency is always better.

The one functional wireless VR solution we've seen so far gets around this by using a 60 GHz extreme high frequency wireless, which has much higher bandwidth at the cost of being blocked by... pretty much any solid object, really, making it a purely LoS based, short range signal. And if you think occlusion making your headset drift a bit is annoying, that's going to be nothing compared to any hiccup instantly dropping the video feed. Also even the 60GHz signal isn't enough for uncompressed video; the Vive upgrade still requires some light video compression, which is probably where most of the latency comes from, but at least requires a lot less than a conventional wireless connection would.

I think it's still doable. After all, the very definition of an HMD means you're wearing it on your head, and if you put the wireless broadcaster up high (which the Vive already does for the lighthouses) it's unlikely to be obstructed by anything. Though even then, I expect anything that requires you to hold your arms in the air could potentially cause problems, though apparently a team at MIT is working on a device to "reflect" the extreme high frequency signal from various angles that sounds tailor made to be added to a Lighthouse unit.

Overall, I have high hopes for the first wireless prototype but am still waiting on early reviews before I order one.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 16, 2016

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

FormatAmerica posted:

These exact situations have happened to me, our VR room is in the living room now, no regrets and I'm constantly feeling weird about my hands IRL for a reason I can't explain.
I am seriously considering building a new PC that's a dedicated VR box. Reason being that we are buying a new build house next year, and the dimensions of what my office will be will be identical to my current alloted space (2.2x1.6m if you take away the space the desk would occupy), but the lounge would be ideal as hell. That does make it difficult to play racing sims in VR though, and project CARS is super fun with my racing wheel setup + vive.

Either that or I sneakily put the spare bed in the office room and steal the slightly larger spare bedroom. However, I reckon I'd be sleeping on the spare bed for doing that..

On the subject of GearVR, who else has tried it and found that it overheated your device really, REALLY quickly? My S6 (which is a brand new replacement as my old phone developed issues) would overheat in 10 minutes with the GearVR. Luckily I was able to return it on the "not fit for purpose" grounds. But I had enough time with it to decide that I needed VR in my life and ordered the vive.

Also, I want to play this so fuckin much:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGtrJaiUZaA

Enos Cabell posted:

There's been at least a half dozen people in this thread talk about having to cover pictures on the wall, tv screens, windows, etc. to keep the lighthouses from freaking out. There is no way that is going to work for mass consumer adoption. It's fine for early adopters who don't mind dedicating a space to VR, but I can't imagine that tracking system surviving past the first few generations of headsets.
Yup. My office room looks really, really sad right now. I've got one of those sliding door closets that runs along the length of an entire wall, so I had to 3M tape a bunch of cardboard to that, and also take down my pictures as I don't have anything to hand that'd cover them reliably. I tested it with one of the pictures up still, and the tracking would freak out massively in two places.

Falken fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 16, 2016

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Another player has entered the wireless VR mod space.
https://techcrunch.com/2016/12/15/rivvr-brings-wireless-vr-to-the-oculus-rift-and-htc-vive/

Seems like it crushes the image qual using some proprietary hardware to get it to work.

One thing that would be interesting would be if Oculus Partnered with a laptop vendor and was able to embed a Rift tracking sensor into the laptop bezel. So instead of lugging around 2-3 cameras, the HMD and the laptop you could cut out 1/2 of the cameras.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Monitor-mounted sensors weren't a great scene because they wobbled. I'm not sure if that would be a problem with laptop screens, but I'd worry about it.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

oh yeah I know it wouldn't really be a substantiated fear but I still wouldn't blame her for it just on the basis of camera plus facebook. Unlike with the lighthouses where I had to walk her through how the technology works before she was cool with leaving them plugged in.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How you *think* it works. :tinfoil:

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Subjunctive posted:

How you *think* it works. :tinfoil:

if you do enough mushrooms you can see the lasers :devil:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
My optical cables are on the way and I'll have them next week. I hope they work; having super thin, light, durable cables is almost as good as wireless tracking, with a lot less pitfalls.

Edit: Subjunctive, do any pinouts (or an actual breakout dongle) exist for that proprietary CV1 port? If these optical cables work, there's no point of heaving the 12-foot Rift cable around.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 16, 2016

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Had some really good Onward games last night. Unsurprisingly it feels very much like paintball.

Also, knife-only rounds are probably the dumbest and funniest things I've ever done in VR.

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 16, 2016

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Oculus has emailed some people to let them know they have delayed shipment of the third sensor. I ordered one as soon as it was possible and have an est. shipping date between Dec 13 and 20th and haven't gotten that email yet, so here's to hoping I will still get it before Christmas.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Bremen posted:

The main problem is actually bandwidth, which leads into latency. Wireless connections aren't nearly fast enough to carry the 2160x1200 90 fps video used by modern VR headsets, which means they have to be compressed, which introduces unacceptably high latency. The actual signal processing is much less of a problem, though with VR lower latency is always better.

The one functional wireless VR solution we've seen so far gets around this by using a 60 GHz extreme high frequency wireless, which has much higher bandwidth at the cost of being blocked by... pretty much any solid object, really, making it a purely LoS based, short range signal. And if you think occlusion making your headset drift a bit is annoying, that's going to be nothing compared to any hiccup instantly dropping the video feed. Also even the 60GHz signal isn't enough for uncompressed video; the Vive upgrade still requires some light video compression, which is probably where most of the latency comes from, but at least requires a lot less than a conventional wireless connection would.

I think it's still doable. After all, the very definition of an HMD means you're wearing it on your head, and if you put the wireless broadcaster up high (which the Vive already does for the lighthouses) it's unlikely to be obstructed by anything. Though even then, I expect anything that requires you to hold your arms in the air could potentially cause problems, though apparently a team at MIT is working on a device to "reflect" the extreme high frequency signal from various angles that sounds tailor made to be added to a Lighthouse unit.

Overall, I have high hopes for the first wireless prototype but am still waiting on early reviews before I order one.

If the real demon is bandwidth why not go all the way to far infrared? You've already got the headset completely covered in ir sensors and the lighthouses transmitting on that frequency. With an unobstructed Los bandwidth shouldn't be an unsolvable issue, just up the frequency.

Obviously it's not that simple or it would be done, I'm just a budding rf engineer so it interests me.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Lighthouses use near IR. Far IR has its own drawbacks. 60GHz has a short range and can be blocked if you put your hand in the wrong spot. Far IR can be blocked by the water in the air.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Trying out Minecraft coupled with vivecraft. I'm absolutely outstanded at how well this works in VR. The devs of vivecraft have basically made a new game.

I'm not going outside at night though. gently caress that. I'll live in my little cave with a door for the time being.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
I fired up regular Minecraft through Oculus home last night and could not find any touch options. I thought touch support was scheduled to be added in October which then lead to a lot of Touch release date rumors. I can't find any further news after that. I guess I'll have to install vivecraft.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Got my Touch controllers like a week ago and have been having a lot of fun with them! Quill and Superhot are both really, really cool.

I can just barely manage the "optimal" play space in my current room with two forward facing cameras, but I went ahead and ordered two more and I'm just gonna wall mount one in each corner of the room for maximum coverage. Does anyone have any recommendations for ~25 foot USB extension cables?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Helter Skelter posted:

Lighthouses use near IR. Far IR has its own drawbacks. 60GHz has a short range and can be blocked if you put your hand in the wrong spot. Far IR can be blocked by the water in the air.

I was thinking of transmitting through the lighthouse ir itself or through a unit attached to the lighthouses to solve the occlusion problem, the headset is already covered in sensors.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Poetic Justice posted:

Oculus has emailed some people to let them know they have delayed shipment of the third sensor. I ordered one as soon as it was possible and have an est. shipping date between Dec 13 and 20th and haven't gotten that email yet, so here's to hoping I will still get it before Christmas.

That is very weird. I waited a while before ordering my 3rd sensor because I was hoping it would sell on Amazon and I got mine yesterday.

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

Jarmak posted:

I was thinking of transmitting through the lighthouse ir itself or through a unit attached to the lighthouses to solve the occlusion problem, the headset is already covered in sensors.

The great thing about the lighthouses is they don't have to be plugged into the computer.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Nalin posted:

That is very weird. I waited a while before ordering my 3rd sensor because I was hoping it would sell on Amazon and I got mine yesterday.

Yeah in the back of my head I have a feeling my order got lost in their system, a lot of people that have ordered later have gotten theirs. I plan on emailing them on the 20th to make sure nothing is amiss.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

JoeMB posted:

The great thing about the lighthouses is they don't have to be plugged into the computer.

Well yeah but I'd trade plugging in the lighthouses with plugging in the HMD in an instant

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ-Md56jK9Y
This happened a little earlier than I thought it would have. But I guess VR is going full circle early on.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
If you haven't checkout Ripcoil, it's pretty drat cool. The movement feels weird at first and I was a little woozy afterward, but worth it. Basically Discs of Tron in VR!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Tried out the CV1, not 100% sure what I was expecting - some very cool bits and very effective jump scares from not-great horror games (the "examine to the left while thing materializes to the right" thing really works when the view control isn't abstracted through a controller). There is some visual blur that's a little disappointing, though it seems to come out worse in some things than others.

I'm also yet to have tried anything that didn't use teleportation as a movement mechanic, and I loved Myst as a kid enough not to mind but I'm hoping Touch adds to the experience. I'm already looking at my space and anticipating the limitations of what can be done with the tech at this juncture. You can envision the folly of a project like CLANG! that needed force feedback that denies physics. I'm worrying I spent $600 on a cool party trick and am hoping for something ambitious, a real game, to come along not too long from now. I saw some friends playing on PSVR and there were at least some very cool, immersive and visually sumptuous things out for that system.

If only the Alien Isolation hack hadn't been made impossible by program updates…