Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Varance posted:

JP Update: Latest FF5 event is very watery. Lots of water-based soul breaks, plus Chain Waterga.

Gogo is Black/White/Bard 5 and has caster stats, so he's only well-suited for mimicking magic/support abilities.

New soul breaks:

Krile parks her meteor wherever she wants: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb8mFE6fWyA
Gogo teaches Strago how to do Aqua Breath properly, then mimics stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MZyOQUSjnE
.... and his SSB is Onion Knight BSB without the burst commands: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9ZnSGaSI1s
Bartz's drowns things with his second BSB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYiEeOW7Hb8

Krile always gets the best soul breaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

This present minigame is really boring and lovely

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I honestly think the most bullshit aspect of the VI Ultimate is that it's classified as a 1 round fight despite there being three waves of enemies. There's only one reason to do that and that's to screw over anyone trying to S/L the fight if they get hosed by the RNG.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
Oooooooor it's because rounds are used to break up waves of trash enemies and there are potion and ether drops in between Rounds. Multi-wave boss fights have never been broken up in rounds. You people will find any reason to think people are being "screwed over".

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Yeah multiwave 1 round fights are supposed to be endurance matches. They're not out to get you - they're out to change how you prepare and play. That is cool and good.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
The Christmas minigame score is already at 100 million out of 150 million. Jesus.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It's totally possible for multiwave fights to be designed poorly/unfairly though, either because they require you to prepare for so many different eventualities that it's impossible to adequately prepare or because (like this one) the "endurance" comes from reloading when you get hatefucked by RNG on the last wave.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Geocities Homepage King posted:

The Christmas minigame score is already at 100 million out of 150 million. Jesus.

That game is so terrible, that I almost feel like DeNA must be just slowly ticking up that counter automatically, to make sure the rewards are being handed out.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

wizard on a water slide posted:

It's totally possible for multiwave fights to be designed poorly/unfairly though, either because they require you to prepare for so many different eventualities that it's impossible to adequately prepare or because (like this one) the "endurance" comes from reloading when you get hatefucked by RNG on the last wave.

Still doesn't count as "screwing over" anyone by not breaking up the fight in rounds.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Yeah, there's no endurance for aspect for the VI ultimate - I'm at the point where I have good enough equipment/mitigation to the get through the first few waves using just basic attacks and I still had to redo it several times because I lost the RNG check.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

I hope they never bring back the FFVIII Esther Soldier fight. That's probably the hardest fight released so far in my opinion.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

I hope we get to fight the entire Galbadia Slapper bench someday. All twelve offensive linemen, six defensemen and three goalies. Seven-wave endurance fight let's loving GO

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I didn't have any trouble with either the VI or VIII multiwave fights but maybe I just got super lucky on the first try :shrug:

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

UHD posted:

I didn't have any trouble with either the VI or VIII multiwave fights but maybe I just got super lucky on the first try :shrug:

I think people are just rushing too fast. The trick is to not kill the last guy in each round until everyone's comfortably healed and mitigated. If you can do that it's a synch. Bursting down is just asking to overextend your party.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

victrix posted:

What the hell, the mech boss in FF6 ult is brutal :psyduck:

With full break, power/magic break, attack+magic debuff, wall, protect/shell, and full party mag/phys blink it still annihilates my party once it gets low. Feels like if any of the buffs/debuffs wear off its gg.

Think I need to figure out how to cram more offense in so it just dies faster.

Pretty sure I DPS'd the hell out of this guy. The tougher fight was the one against the waves of guards and armors, and I just ended up bringing my A-team and forgetting about the CM.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

It feels like I'm at a place where I need to rethink my party comp for the ult+ content and look at honing a handful of 5* abilities now that I have R2 full break.

Likewise possibly changing my 'default' RM setup (2x mako/2x ace/1x lionheart usually).

My setup has worked for most of the event fights up to this point, but I've failed a few of the 160/180s, or missed their champ completion, so I'm close to smooth sailing, I just need to rejigger my setup a bit I think.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm at 130 mythril right now and am having a hard time deciding how to ration it between the OSBFest, XIV, and even XIII events. Somebody decide for me please.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Thundercracker posted:

I think people are just rushing too fast. The trick is to not kill the last guy in each round until everyone's comfortably healed and mitigated. If you can do that it's a synch. Bursting down is just asking to overextend your party.

Maybe I'm wrong about the mechanics, but as I understand it there's not really much you can do in fight to mitigate Clash/Missile/Launcher. I mean, after the 3 or 4 s/l I had to do I finished off the third wave in less than two rounds when they ended up only using Missile once before they died.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm at 130 mythril right now and am having a hard time deciding how to ration it between the OSBFest, XIV, and even XIII events. Somebody decide for me please.

Blow it all in a hedonistic flurry the moment something catches your eye. (For real, though, hold of for XIV, it's almost certainly your best value)

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Crazy Larry posted:

Maybe I'm wrong about the mechanics, but as I understand it there's not really much you can do in fight to mitigate Clash/Missile/Launcher. I mean, after the 3 or 4 s/l I had to do I finished off the third wave in less than two rounds when they ended up only using Missile once before they died.

Clash is ignore-defense, yeah. Missile and Launcher are gravity attacks, which can be dodged with Instant KO resist gear. That doesn't much help newer players who likely lack Memento Rings/Mythril Armlets/Safety Bits, though.

That said, gravity attacks can never actually kill you on their own, they need help from other attacks to do that.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

One for each. Which OSBFest banner you roll on is determined by a die roll, a 6 meaning you whale on all five.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

Clash is ignore-defense, yeah. Missile and Launcher are gravity attacks, which can be dodged with Instant KO resist gear. That doesn't much help newer players who likely lack Memento Rings/Mythril Armlets/Safety Bits, though.

Missile and Launcher being instant KO also means that's there's really nothing you can do mid fight to reduce their damage too, correct?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Crazy Larry posted:

Missile and Launcher being instant KO also means that's there's really nothing you can do mid fight to reduce their damage too, correct?

Have less HP. Gravity attacks can never kill you outright. They're just there to make it harder to keep healed up.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Crazy Larry posted:

The missiles are gravity-based and having Instant KO protection on armor or accessory can cause them to miss.

Also finally beat the fight after way too many attempts due to RNG bullshit killing a vital party member before I even had a chance to do anything.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

One for each. Which OSBFest banner you roll on is determined by a die roll, a 6 meaning you whale on all five.

I did ask for itunes gift cards to fuel my microtransaction gambling addiction....

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

LornMarkus posted:

Blow it all in a hedonistic flurry the moment something catches your eye.

This is basically the story of me and this game so far. The longest I've managed to keep it in my pants is three banners.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm holding out for xiv. Not because I have any idea why it is good, but because everyone here is spooging over it :v:

Speaking of rad banners and osb fest, I got edgars osb, and while seeing a big number is nice, tough bosses are usually immune to status, and it feels like BSBs dish out more sustained damage and/or have added utility.

What am I missing about osbs? Proper elemental imperils or buffs to actually hit 99k reliably against u+ level stuff?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if [edit: oops] you need the ability to survive over multiple turns, bursts are going to be better

if you need to do as much damage to a boss as you possibly can in a very short amount of time, overstrikes are going to be better

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Cowcaster posted:

if you've got the ability to survive over multiple turns, bursts are going to be better

if you need to do as much damage to a boss as you possibly can in a very short amount of time, overstrikes are going to be better

Not really. Bursts often work out to around the same or less damage than an OSB, and over more turns that could have been used for other skills. The strength of a BSB is utility and extending bad hones.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Not really. Bursts often work out to around the same or less damage than an OSB, and over more turns that could have been used for other skills. The strength of a BSB is utility and extending bad hones.

i was lumping in "utility" and "few skill uses" under the "survive multiple turns" umbrella

edit: i said my stuff wrong

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Not really. Bursts often work out to around the same or less damage than an OSB

No, they don't. Let's use Tidus as an example since he's bog standard in every way for both his BSB and OSB.

With his OSB, you're getting 1200 potency of damage.

With his BSB, you're getting 510 potency of damage followed by 324 potency of damage every turn for 4-5 turns. Just the nearly-guaranteed (barring Slow/Stop) 4 turns of 324 potency damage outdamages his OSB. If you get in 5 turns, combined with the entry you're dealing 2130 potency of damage. That's 77% more damage than his OSB. And note that Tidus's BSB entry is AOE, so it's actually being penalized in damage for this comparison against a single target.

For a mage example, take Hope, since again he's very standard.

OSB: 4000 potency.

BSB: 1196 potency (AOE) entry, 896 potency (*1.5 for enHoly = 1344) command 1. 5 command 1s plus entry = 7912 total potency.

And the potency doesn't even tell the whole story here because Burst Mode also increases damage, so the Burst potency numbers should actually be increased by anywhere from ~10% (if the Burst puts you entirely over cap) to ~40% (for Tidus's if it's entirely under cap).

Zurai fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 16, 2016

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

While I don't even disagree that OSBs are generally not as desirable as the better BSBs are right now, for that comparison to really make sense we ought to not pretend that OSB Tidus is jacking his dick for five turns while BSB Tidus is doing things.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I stand corrected! My point remains that OSBs are better overall for damage, though, given that their potency is in one turn and frees up subsequent turns for skill uses.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

For that comparison to really make sense, we ought to not pretend that OSB Tidus is jacking his dick for five turns while BSB Tidus is doing things.

Nope. Panic! stated that Burst Mode often did no better than an OSB on its own.

But sure, let's add DPS turns in there too.

Tidus OSB + 4 turns of Lifesiphon = 1960 potency.
Tidus BSB + 4 turns of command 1 = 1806 potency.

But, again, Burst Mode directly increases damage by anywhere from 10% to 40%. At 40%, Tidus is now dealing 2324 potency. And a second cast of his BSB and 4 more command 1s is 2214 potency (without counting Burst Mode bonus). The OSB, meanwhile, isn't changing its damage.

BSBs are better for sustained damage than OSBs are, in general. OSBs have their place, but dealing the most damage possible isn't generally it.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 16, 2016

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
Zurai your math makes me all tingly (and I'm glad to have my "burst over osb" mentality justified).

Is there any time overlap between OSBfest and Minfilia 1 or is that unknown right now?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Adel posted:

Is there any time overlap between OSBfest and Minfilia 1 or is that unknown right now?

There should be. Minfilia should be the Wednesday after Christmas (the 28th) if they stick to their current pattern, while the Festival should start on or near Christmas and have 5 banners at 2 days each = 10 days.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
drat, just looked up that Minfilia banner. There really aren't any stinkers on it if it stays the same as Japan.

I have 130 mithril now, should be able to get to 150 before it, and would like to pull at least twice. Gonna be real hard to hold off on temptation for bannerfest, though. A native wall is the only part of the original trinity I'm still missing, so maybe I can stay strong.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Somewhat amusingly, I'm actually downgrading my planned spending on Minfilia 1. Originally I had earmarked 150 mythril for it looking for either Y'shtola's or Alphinaud's bursts, but after doing some mage team theorycrafting I came to realize that Y'sh's burst isn't what I'm looking for and Alph would just be a 5th character on my team. I currently still have 50 mythril marked for the banner, but I'm debating pulling even that out to spend elsewhere.

For the record, my ideal mage team:

• Onion Knight@BSB, Mako's Might
  • Cid Raines@BSB, Dr. Mog's Teachings
  • Yuna@BSB2 or Porom@BSB, Lionheart (both have MAG/MND +30% and h55 AOE heal on entry, with an AOE heal command)
  • Mustadio@BSB, Ace Striker (entry reverse wall, instant cast command 1, on the same banner as a few other relics I'm targeting)
  • Open slot. Alphinaud, Rapha, Marach, Fujin, Palom, Shantotto, etc. Basically whatever other good mage BSB I come across.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 16, 2016

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

victrix posted:

I'm holding out for xiv. Not because I have any idea why it is good, but because everyone here is spooging over it :v:

Let's go down the list! It's the event after next, so people should know why we've been hyping it ever since the OK event. Banner 1 of the Minfilia/Alphinaud event has:
  • Y'shtola's BSB: Curaga medica + stoneskin (null next 30% MaxHP worth of damage), burst commands are instant-cast Curaja and standard burst medica.
  • Minfilia's BSB: ST holy/NE physical nuke + enholy, burst commands are holy-flavored Attack Breakdown and holy-flavored Magic Breakdown
  • Alphinaud's BSB: AoE wind/NE magic nuke + enwind, burst commands are wind-flavored powerchain (next attack is instant) and wind-flavored mini-ether (restore 1 ability use). Entry and commands all count as Summons for RM boosting purposes. Naturally, this synergizes fantastically well with the Tiamat summon, which we also get from this event.
  • Minfilia's SSB: Shout-level Boostga (+50% ATK) + Guts (survive one lethal hit with 1HP)
  • Alphinaud's SSB: Vessel of Fate-level Boostfaithga (+30% ATK/MAG) + Radiant Shield (reflect all damage taken back to attacker)
  • Papalymo's SSB: Sheepsong-level Faithga (+30% MAG) + Hastega + Quick Cast 3 for entire party
  • Y'shtola's SSB: Protectga + Shellga + High Regen, we've seen this one before
  • Stoneskin II aka fuckin' wall
  • Y'shtola's Medica+Esuna from way back when

That's the entire banner, and aside from any duplicates you have, the closest you can get to a "losing" draw, especially for a mage team, is either Aetherial Pulse or Medica II. When your "consolation prizes" are still a solid as hell medica and a proshellga button? That's a pretty loving solid banner.

Banner 2 has a few toys that look interesting too, but it's not banner 1. It suffers merely by being in proximity to banner 1. Banner 1 is stupidly good.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Just a minor note, but Minfilia's commands are even 2-hit. It's one of the best Support 5 character BSBs in the game, depending on what you want out of your Support 5 character. If you're interested in dealing damage while also supporting, she's very near or at the top of the pack. She doesn't have the stacking break options other characters do, though, and doesn't even break on entry, so she's more of a damage race support rather than a battle of attrition support.

Also, Alph's BSB entry is single target, not AOE.

• Locked thread