Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

EdEddnEddy posted:

Verizon is doing the $10/m deal for the Pixel again so my Mom went in to get one after seeing my sisters.

FYI, pretty sure this is different from the last deal. This is monthly credits to your service charges to get the cost down to $10/mo, previous deal was a device payment plan for $10/mo for 24 months with no service requirement once you paid off the phone and no penalty to paying it off immediately. If you're staying on Verizon for at least 2 more years, not a difference, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

RVProfootballer posted:

previous deal was a device payment plan for $10/mo for 24 months with no service requirement once you paid off the phone and no penalty to paying it off immediately.

You're thinking of the Best Buy deal here. Verizon's deal last time was $10/month after service credit.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

nimper posted:

You're thinking of the Best Buy deal here. Verizon's deal last time was $10/month after service credit.

Oops, sorry, you're right. Got it mixed up because I saw that Best But is basically matching this newest one too.

twoski
Sep 11, 2011
I just got a new Galaxy S7 and holy loving poo poo is TouchWiz ever awful. It was a dumpster fire on the S5 and they somehow found a way to make it worse.

What is a good stock android-esque ROM i can install on this phone with minimal effort? I had cyanogen on my S5 and it was lovely but it seems there's some new poo poo on the S7s that has made it impossible for people to install CM on these phones. Unless i'm reading old discussion threads.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

twoski posted:

I just got a new Galaxy S7 and holy loving poo poo is TouchWiz ever awful. It was a dumpster fire on the S5 and they somehow found a way to make it worse.

What is a good stock android-esque ROM i can install on this phone with minimal effort? I had cyanogen on my S5 and it was lovely but it seems there's some new poo poo on the S7s that has made it impossible for people to install CM on these phones. Unless i'm reading old discussion threads.

Get a phone without Touchwiz. It's simple really.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

bronin posted:

This. If you don't like your phone, return it and get something better.

twoski
Sep 11, 2011

bronin posted:

I would have gotten a Nexus but i am on a family contract and for whatever reason they do not offer the nexus. i was able to get the s7 for 50 bucks which is a solid deal, it's just the lovely samsung software that i dislike.

i've dealt with samsung's crap before but it seems like with each iteration they add some 'feature' in that makes it harder to do these kinds of customization.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Sounds like a great deal!

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

twoski posted:

I would have gotten a Nexus but i am on a family contract and for whatever reason they do not offer the nexus. i was able to get the s7 for 50 bucks which is a solid deal, it's just the lovely samsung software that i dislike.

i've dealt with samsung's crap before but it seems like with each iteration they add some 'feature' in that makes it harder to do these kinds of customization.

What carrier?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

twoski posted:

I only had to pay $50 for something I hate!

twoski
Sep 11, 2011
All i wanna know is whether there's a decent replacement out there for TouchWiz. Replacing ROMs is not something difficult, and certainly not a big enough hassle to warrant me going and returning this phone to get another one.

I mean, maybe if it were my dad who has no understanding of installing new ROMs on phones i'd tell him to get a new one if he dislikes the interface. But the joy of android is that generally speaking you can get your hands on a custom ROM with little hassle if you can handle some messing around.

So i ask again, what do the samsung users in this thread use? Or do you all just use TouchWiz?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Install "Good Lock" off the Galaxy App store to replace the system UI, then install Nova Launcher (or Google Now Launcher, or the APK of the Pixel Launcher), and there, you've fixed the majority of Touchwiz issues.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Lol, he thinks it was actually just $50...more like $700 spread out over billing/service charges. No S7 is ever $50 out the door...carriers would go out of business if so. You're paying for it one way or another.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

twoski posted:

So i ask again, what do the samsung users in this thread use? Or do you all just use TouchWiz?

When I had my Note 7 I just used whatever came with it. Then again, it's hard to tell what you mean by Touchwiz!

For example, I installed the Google Now Launcher.

I tried Good Lock as well but it was a little too quirky for my taste.

twoski
Sep 11, 2011
I got Google Now and it somehow knew exactly what wallpapers and stuff i was using on my cyanogen phone. It also is exactly what i needed, just a simple stock android launcher.

Now i'm just struggling with the apparent lack of options pertaining to the finer details like how many app icons i have in each row.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

twoski posted:

I got Google Now and it somehow knew exactly what wallpapers and stuff i was using on my cyanogen phone. It also is exactly what i needed, just a simple stock android launcher.

Now i'm just struggling with the apparent lack of options pertaining to the finer details like how many app icons i have in each row.

Check the Display options - you should be able to increase or decrease the display size.

That may have been a Note7 exclusive feature - the Nougat update might enable it though.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

twoski posted:

I haven't used Google Now launcher in forever, but don't recall much customization (maybe there's a Samsung option like mentioned above).

You can get Nova Launcher to behave a lot like the Google Now launcher and it has a ton of spergy tweaks you can make without installing a custom ROM.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

twoski posted:

Google Now Launcher basically has zero customizability. Try Nova for that.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
My wife and I share a single Google Music account which is attached to my Google account. It works fine because we rarely need to listen to music at the same times (i.e. the family plan wouldn't be useful to us).

The problem is that her phone constantly logs her into my Google account on other various (non-Music) Google services, despite her account being the primary one on the phone and the one she activated the phone with. She has unchecked all non-Music associations under Settings > Accounts > Google, but they seem to automatically come back again. She manually logs out of my account in the various apps, but it eventually just logs her back in. Her phone is acting like my account is present for all location purposes, she gets my maps surveys, etc.

She's using a brand new Pixel, but she also had this issue with her last phone (LG G4), so I'm guessing it's a system issue.

Are we doing something wrong, or is this just Google's way of telling us to spend $5 more per month to get the family plan?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

incogneato posted:

is this just Google's way of telling us to spend $5 more per month to get the family plan?

Yes

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

incogneato posted:

is this just Google's way of telling us to spend $5 more per month to get the family plan?

100% yup

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah you can't really have an account on a phone and not have it associated with every Google service on that phone. That's just not a thing Google care about supporting because from their viewpoint an account belongs to a person.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
You guys could try the BlackBerry launcher!

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

incogneato posted:

Are we doing something wrong, or is this just Google's way of telling us to spend $5 more per month to get the family plan?

I doubt it's intentional but I also really doubt anyone is spending any time at all fixing bugs related to "trying to avoid paying for a service we use".

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Axel Rhodes Scholar posted:

I doubt it's intentional but I also really doubt anyone is spending any time at all fixing bugs related to "trying to avoid paying for a service we use".

I don't really see it as "avoiding paying for a service" when Google explicitly allows one account to be used on up to 5 smartphones. And we do pay $10/mo for this, to be clear. But you're right, and I'm sure they're in no hurry to streamline device sharing when they have a "family plan" upgrade that allows multi-device simultaneous play.

It's just odd that it specifically affects location (treats my wife's location as my location for the purposes of maps, location history, opinion rewards, etc.). It doesn't have any noticeable effect on other Google services (e.g. Gmail, Photos, etc.). It's an odd enough quirk that I was hoping I had just missed some setting to fix it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

incogneato posted:

I don't really see it as "avoiding paying for a service" when Google explicitly allows one account to be used on up to 5 smartphones. And we do pay $10/mo for this, to be clear. But you're right, and I'm sure they're in no hurry to streamline device sharing when they have a "family plan" upgrade that allows multi-device simultaneous play.

It's just odd that it specifically affects location (treats my wife's location as my location for the purposes of maps, location history, etc.). It doesn't have any noticeable effect on other Google services (e.g. Gmail, Photos, Opinion Rewards, etc.). It's an odd enough quirk that I was hoping I had just missed some setting to fix it.

You're not quite doing it how they intend though. Like if I had a work phone, a personal phone, and a tablet say. That's 3 of my 5, all mine. They're not intending different people to use your account, that's what the family plan is for.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

CLAM DOWN posted:

You're not quite doing it how they intend though. Like if I had a work phone, a personal phone, and a tablet say. That's 3 of my 5, all mine. They're not intending different people to use your account, that's what the family plan is for.

Yeah, I suppose that makes sense. To be fair, when we started using Play Music, the "family plan" option didn't exist yet. It just prompted you to login from an existing Google account and said there was a device limit. Why let you log in with a different Google account if it's not "as intended"?

Does our use case warrant switching to a competitor like Spotify? This seems like a pretty specific issue caused by tying directly into the Google ecosystem.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

If you are using Google Play music and you like it but want to fix this problem just spend five more dollars. You could even find four friends to fill the rest of your slots and if you all split it evenly would actually end up saving five dollars.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

incogneato posted:

Yeah, I suppose that makes sense. To be fair, when we started using Play Music, the "family plan" option didn't exist yet. It just prompted you to login from an existing Google account and said there was a device limit. Why let you log in with a different Google account if it's not "as intended"?

Does our use case warrant switching to a competitor like Spotify? This seems like a pretty specific issue caused by tying directly into the Google ecosystem.

A tablet might have several accounts logged in at once, depending on how much people care to make different users for the tablet.

Some people also have multiple accounts for different things, I have two email accounts depending what I use them for.

The main point is that each google account is meant to be personal, not shared between people.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Uthor posted:

I haven't used Google Now launcher in forever, but don't recall much customization (maybe there's a Samsung option like mentioned above).

You can get Nova Launcher to behave a lot like the Google Now launcher and it has a ton of spergy tweaks you can make without installing a custom ROM.

I use Action 3 because I like the drawers :shrug:

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
So Blackberry is out.

Just a name licenced to TCL now.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

twoski posted:

I ditched my Note 4 a while ago, but I did what Clam Down said and got a different launcher. Nova is good. There's also the Google one. You should also be able to disable a lot of the preinstalled crap through the Apps menu in Settings.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Why the gently caress are we still denied access to individual app data unless we root our phone? I now have the displeasure of explaining to my lady that her save game data cannot be transferred over to her new Pixel and so she'll lose all of her progress.

I thought the Pixel transfer tool (when you connect the two phones together via USB cable) was supposed to transfer app data over as well?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

IAmKale posted:

Why the gently caress are we still denied access to individual app data unless we root our phone? I now have the displeasure of explaining to my lady that her save game data cannot be transferred over to her new Pixel and so she'll lose all of her progress.

I thought the Pixel transfer tool (when you connect the two phones together via USB cable) was supposed to transfer app data over as well?

Pretty sure developers can have app data transfer easily via the Play Store or Google Services. Here's what the transfer tool will transfer, which again shows that it's on the developer to enable it: http://phandroid.com/2016/10/18/copy-iphone-data-to-android-easy/

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

twoski posted:

I bought a Moto E v2 a few months ago for $40 cash and I prefer it to every Samsung flagship I've ever used. Except for the occasional 10-15 second freezes when I'm trying to do too many things at once and run out of ram it's the ultimate poverty smartphone.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

incogneato posted:

Just buy two family spots on someone's Spotify family account. There should be some goon threads over in sa mart. That will save you money and the hassle

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Play music is a much better deal due to ad free YouTube.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

RVProfootballer posted:

Pretty sure developers can have app data transfer easily via the Play Store or Google Services. Here's what the transfer tool will transfer, which again shows that it's on the developer to enable it: http://phandroid.com/2016/10/18/copy-iphone-data-to-android-easy/

Nothing's going to change until Google says "do this or you're off the Play Store".

And they can't even wrangle security updates from all the OEMs.

And now they're just another OEM themselves.

Things will not improve unless Google replaces Android.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

dont be mean to me posted:

Nothing's going to change until Google says "do this or you're off the Play Store".

And they can't even wrangle security updates from all the OEMs.

And now they're just another OEM themselves.

Things will not improve unless Google replaces Android.

lol source your quotes.

Yes, Google requiring something from app developers on the Play Store will only happen once they finally ditch Android, and is exactly as arduous a task as forcing speedy updates from OEMs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I'm in the market for a new phone and I'm thinking of jumping on that Verizon upgrade deal. If i dont see myself using that Google assistant much what's the recommendation still on the Pixel vs Galaxy S7?