Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You have to fit at least three people in each bedroom so you get your money's worth. Maybe convert the hallways into canals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Boogalo posted:

It's a dumb cash grab especially since your water bill probably has a sewer remainder fee which is charged on top of water cost since most water used in a house goes down the drains eventually. For my usage amount, the remainder is double the water cost per 1000 gallons.

That's how it works here, still cost 4k to hook up water & sewage despite the hookup being in my yard already and we dug and laid out the sewage and water lines right to the hookup point.

P.S. What's the black stuff on the foundations?

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

His Divine Shadow posted:

That's how it works here, still cost 4k to hook up water & sewage despite the hookup being in my yard already and we dug and laid out the sewage and water lines right to the hookup point.

P.S. What's the black stuff on the foundations?

It's a sealant. Something like
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Henry-10...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Foundation is backfilled. First load of lumber is getting delivered today, should be capped by the end of the week.

Got our first bit of snow this morning, probably an inch so far and still falling. Hopefully we have a light winter.

And since you like distorted panoramas! From inside:

Also dug up the sewer stub, right where the plans said it'd be. yay.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Looking good!

Any luck setting up a time lapse camera in one of the nearby trees overlooking the site?

How's the money situation going? Any more hiccups getting the construction loan where it needs to be?

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Loan is moving through finally. They're doing the inspection of foundation+first floor decking next Tuesday. Then we close and they pay me the first chunk that day. So worse-case I float the money for a week or two.

Had a couple failures with video so we missed the interesting excavation pieces. Was real sad on that. The rest has been really boring. Here's latest:

https://vimeo.com/194392631

A little activity around 7 minutes in. If you really want to stare at it, you can catch neighbors checking it out on various days like at 12:06

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Gounads posted:

Had a couple failures with video so we missed the interesting excavation pieces. Was real sad on that. The rest has been really boring. Here's latest:

https://vimeo.com/194392631

Broken link - maybe set to private? How am I supposed to put this up on one of our monitoring TVs at work if it's not set public!

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

H110Hawk posted:

Broken link - maybe set to private? How am I supposed to put this up on one of our monitoring TVs at work if it's not set public!

It was.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Today was a $800 town water hookup fee.

Stopped by, no pictures. The sill was going on the foundation and sewer line was being placed. They're going to try and do water next before the hard freeze, was originally thinking of doing that in the spring. So if we finish early...

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Had a sit-down with builder last night to go over the list of things he'll need to order in the near term including:

Exterior doors
Siding
Shingles

The place he orders from shuts down Christmas->NY so we have to get those in soonish. We've got a big catalog to go through to pick them all out.

The windows are all ordered.

He expects to have it rough framed 3 weeks from now. (maybe a roof too, I was unclear on that)

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Really cool man, I bet you guys are really excited.

I'm not sure I could handle the process of building, I would be so excited and then ruthlessly crushed over and over again with delays.

One of my friends is having an addition built on his house and even though the builders have done great work and mostly stayed on schedule, I don't know if I'd have the patience.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Capping the foundation:

Waterline is being hooked up right now.
Electrical trench/line will be in this week.

Should have several walls up mid next week.

Bank re-requesting many documents. Seems disorganized. But we have underwriter approval now, so there's almost no chance of that going badly.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Forgot the best news of the day!

Excavator guy says he has enough boulders to use instead of a retaining wall. If the Town engineer OK's that, it's a $17000 expense I don't pay. Well... I probably pay some for the work, but way less than the full wall.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
I assume the neighbor you can see through the trees is the one that had the most issues? Kind of explains why they were the most vocal, you'll end up pretty close to them. Start planting evergreens!

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

MrEnigma posted:

I assume the neighbor you can see through the trees is the one that had the most issues? Kind of explains why they were the most vocal, you'll end up pretty close to them. Start planting evergreens!

Yes.

This guy has a big plot of land and stupidly builds right on the edge.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Gounads posted:

This guy has a big plot of land and stupidly builds right on the edge.

Because he wants to be as far away from everyone as possible, and surely nobody will ever want to develop the adjacent plot in the same way, right?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Because he wants to be as far away from everyone as possible, and surely nobody will ever want to develop the adjacent plot in the same way, right?

Haha yea I'd probably be pretty pissed if I were him, but then again he should have bought the lot. Though, probably like me any 99% of everyone else, we didn't have many tens of thousands of dollars to throw down on more land just to do nothing with it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

dreesemonkey posted:

Haha yea I'd probably be pretty pissed if I were him, but then again he should have bought the lot. Though, probably like me any 99% of everyone else, we didn't have many tens of thousands of dollars to throw down on more land just to do nothing with it.

Do nothing? It's great sneaking practice grounds!

Waldstein Sonata
Feb 19, 2013
Ending up that close to the back of the lot is why some locales have set-back restrictions on all property boundaries, not just the right of way. Serves him right, hopefully it won't annoy you like it will him.

Related to an earlier point of discussion, today I was pulling information for a plat that I was drafting for a house built in the 50s and I pulled its sanitary tap card. $6 for sewer hookup in 1952. Even today, that's only $60 or so, inflation adjusted. To be sure, Arlington, VA charges MUCH more than $60, today.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Waldstein Sonata posted:

Ending up that close to the back of the lot is why some locales have set-back restrictions on all property boundaries, not just the right of way. Serves him right, hopefully it won't annoy you like it will him.

This town does. His lot does not comply.

It won't annoy us. See how there's kind of a hill between us? Worse-case we plant a hedge at the top.

e: My dad just visited the lot. They're working on a Saturday and two walls are up. Builder re-affirmed he plans on having it roofed this month.

Gounads fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 10, 2016

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
https://vimeo.com/195140752

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Looking great! Gets exciting when you can see it going up

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Video link doesn't work. :( But hey, progress!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

It's weird seeing new houses, with wall cavities that aren't filled with some combination of beer cans, rusty razor blades, dead things, newspaper insulation, and long abandoned wiring

vv 100% that

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 11, 2016

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

OSU_Matthew posted:

It's weird seeing new houses, with wall cavities that aren't filled with some combination of beer cans, rusty razor blades, dead things, newspaper insulation, and long abandoned wiring

If you can, work with the builder to get pictures of the open walls once everything is roughed in (pipes, power, etc.) Make sure you can see at least one landmark in the room and you are square to the wall to prevent perspective problems. Then you can always know where the studs are relative to doorways and other landmarks for hanging stuff on the walls, nailing through water pipes, etc.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Video link doesn't work. :( But hey, progress!

Eventually I'll remember to make them not-private first.

H110Hawk posted:

If you can, work with the builder to get pictures of the open walls once everything is roughed in (pipes, power, etc.) Make sure you can see at least one landmark in the room and you are square to the wall to prevent perspective problems. Then you can always know where the studs are relative to doorways and other landmarks for hanging stuff on the walls, nailing through water pipes, etc.

Good idea, I'll do that.

OSU_Matthew posted:

It's going to be amazing if we have to do some work on the house in the (hopefully far) future. Current house is exactly like that, nothing square, surprises everywhere. Let me tell you about the time I had to use a chainsaw to get the bathroom floor up...

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Gounads posted:

Let me tell you about the time I had to use a chainsaw to get the bathroom floor up...

We'll let you.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 58 minutes!
Glad to see your contractor knows that Zip board is the poo poo. Good job so far.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

H110Hawk posted:

We'll let you.

That was already the interesting part of the story. It was a floor that had been repeatedly covered over many years. floorboards, couple layers of lovely plywood, newspaper(wtf?), two layers of linoleum, overall 4-5 inches thick. I guess typical old-house stuff. Mix in some moisture, and the sawzall just didn't have it in it. There were probably better tools for that, but you work with what you got.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
I took pictures of all the walls before they were sheetrocked, but I did forget to do the garage. Worst part is they added a layer of OSB where the house meets the garage, near impossible to find a stud without testing a few places first.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

This was the closest thread I could find possibly relating to this topic so like don't ban me or whatever.

I have a 100+ year old house with a traditional fireplace, however it has been plumbed with natural gas logs but still has the tradition flu (spelling?, the metal lever dealy that opens and closes the chimney access). Aside from dealing with heat rising up and setting everything around the unit on fire (It's all real stone so not super concerned if closely monitored), does it need to be "vented"? Basically, can I keep the flu closed/semi-closed for short periods or at low gas flow to actually generate heat in the room? Right now, with the flu open all it does is suck all ambient heat around the fireplace straight up through the top of my house. My concern was that it was my understanding that natural gas improperly combusted can still produce CO1?

I live in Pittsburgh. poo poo is cold.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

cr0y posted:

This was the closest thread I could find possibly relating to this topic so like don't ban me or whatever.

You want the Fix It Fast thread.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Interior first floor walls mostly done.

Second floor decking is being delivered today, roof trusses on Monday. Bank did their first inspection yesterday.

Talked over some interior wall options with builder today after seeing everything, made a few minor changes. Here's more or less what we're going with (top part not to scale):

Decided we're going with a deck in back instead of stairs/patio. It's too much of a drop. He quoted us $40/sqft for deck w/ composite decking.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
I'm supposed to get insurance for the building or so my builders contract says so. Cool, no problem.

Get a quote, send over my application & check plus a copy of the Builder's insurance.

Insurance lady calls back, "You don't need this, that builder's insurance you sent over already covers everything I'd write it for". She's calling the other insurance agency just to make sure.

An insurance agent that will tell you that you don't need insurance and do the extra work of calling the other company to make sure after you've already sent a check instead of just taking the commission is pretty good.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Went to kitchen design place today.

We have a $16k allowance for kitchen & bathroom vanities. Our estimate for the kitchen is right around $16k. I had expected and budgeted closer to $25k. So overall, I'm pretty happy.

That's with mid-price solid wood cabinetry, quartz countertops, and pretty reasonable guts in the cabinets (pull-out shelves, super susans, etc.).

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Gounads posted:

Interior first floor walls mostly done.

Second floor decking is being delivered today, roof trusses on Monday. Bank did their first inspection yesterday.

Talked over some interior wall options with builder today after seeing everything, made a few minor changes. Here's more or less what we're going with (top part not to scale):

Decided we're going with a deck in back instead of stairs/patio. It's too much of a drop. He quoted us $40/sqft for deck w/ composite decking.

Do you get your secret room?

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

10 Beers posted:

Do you get your secret room?

It's still upstairs!

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Speaking of upstairs, I have second floor joists now. And stairs to get up there.

Also drove down the driveway for the first time today. 21% is steep, but that's temporary.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
drat, things are coming along fast! Really great that you're spending the small bit extra upfront for all the right decisions that'll pay back dividends down the line, like composite decking or the zip sheathing or making note of where the utilities are ran inside the walls. Just smart all around!

Kudos for caring about the details and knowing enough not to skimp on the bones of the structure to save a few bucks right now at the expense of easily avoidable maintenance later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

OSU_Matthew posted:

drat, things are coming along fast! Really great that you're spending the small bit extra upfront for all the right decisions that'll pay back dividends down the line, like composite decking or the zip sheathing or making note of where the utilities are ran inside the walls. Just smart all around!

Kudos for caring about the details and knowing enough not to skimp on the bones of the structure to save a few bucks right now at the expense of easily avoidable maintenance later.

I'd like to take credit for all that, but most of it is the builder. He's very much a do-it-right kind of guy. I will take credit for picking him, which seems like the smarted piece I've done so far.

• Locked thread