Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

where the red fern gropes posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPDG8YWaDNM

this is bullshit :\ how do they get such super massive numbers?

Honestly, stuff like this really wants me to try raids, but WoW 10 years ago soured me to raiding.

Is raiding in gw2 a 3-6 hour affair requiring someone on comms screaming at people about heal timers and all of that other annoying stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

AmbientParadox posted:

Honestly, stuff like this really wants me to try raids, but WoW 10 years ago soured me to raiding.

Is raiding in gw2 a 3-6 hour affair requiring someone on comms screaming at people about heal timers and all of that other annoying stuff?

Depends on the group and how experienced they are. You can do all three wings in around ~2-3 hours with a experienced non try hard group. Raiding in GW2 is pretty fun and not that stressful.

DISASTER DOVE
Dec 13, 2015

D̷O̶N̴'̴T̷ ̸T̷O̷U̵C̷H̶ ̶M̷E̸

Lots of time investment learning about and building the classes they play and even more time investment learning about the game and getting familiar with bosses, mechanics, and group composition. During the raid tournament we hosted a little while ago, [qT] nearly set the 10 man speed clear record time for Spirit Vale with only ~8 people during a live clear. They're familiar enough with p much every aspect of the game that they can mostly much keep up the same environment produced in the testing area in an actual raid, so numbers, DPS rotations, and buffs are going to look very similar. I'd imagine each of their DPS players are pulling over 30k DPS in the Gorseval video, when most groups aren't even going to pull a combined total of 100k DPS from all 10 people. I think their group DPS from the start of the second phase to the end of the second phase is like 215k.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

A very strong coordinated effort. Notably:

1) All four Elementalists are trained to do the max DPS opening and burst rotations. You can see this by how they all open with the exact same timing on Overload Air. You're lucky to have 1 Elementalist that can actually do near-benchmark performance, let alone 4.
2) The Mesmers are timing Distortions so that no one has to dodge the slam attack. Everyone trusts they do it right.
3) Because of everything prior, Druids can go full DPS spec along with breaking the breakbar ASAP for even less need for healing. Astral Force is optimized for max GotL stacks.
4) Helped by all the above, movement is minimal, making it much easier for everyone to stand in the wells and seeds. I mean they are good enough to do this cognitively anyways, but even moreso here.

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

I don't think we could get qt numbers but if we actually tried we could get reasonably close. But I think people are just bored of Forsaken Thicket. Even shrach is on strike.

DISASTER DOVE
Dec 13, 2015

dad on the rag posted:

I don't think we could get qt numbers but if we actually tried we could get reasonably close. But I think people are just bored of Forsaken Thicket. Even shrach is on strike.

Well, the difference is that they spend a lot more time trying than nearly everyone else. I think if people spent time taking the game apart and learning then realistically a lot more people would produce the same results, granted not everyone is going to have the same amount of time to invest or motivation, and some people are happy just doing what they have fun doing. If goons wanted to be qT then it would be doable

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:
Besides the snowball there isn't a whole lot added to wintersday this year :ohdear:

Black Lion skins are pretty meh for icy weapons.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Redmanred posted:

Besides the snowball there isn't a whole lot added to wintersday this year :ohdear:

imo staff is a nice addition to the melee staff skins team. The dagger looks p cool too.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Redmanred posted:

Skins are poo poo because of the weird green gems imo

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Canadian money?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

UchihaHirou posted:

Canadian money?

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's why you dye your armor to match your dope rear end new weapon skins because they are fuckin' cool

please don't plant shame

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

You ripped off Australias notes and added some gaudy poo poo to it

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Visidan posted:

You ripped off Australias notes and added some gaudy poo poo to it

how dare you insult her majesty

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Wench isn't even Canadian, she's just the landlord.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I'd like to dedicate this page 420 to melondude

rip, buddy

bong rip

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

quote:

Infinite PvP Rank Progression

PvP Ranks are no longer capped at 80. This number will now increment on both the in-game HUD as well as the character-select screen.
Players will be retroactively awarded rank-ups for every time they’ve repeated rank 80.

For the 0 people who care, 238. I kinda stopped after the xpac came out.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

CLAM DOWN posted:

how dare you insult her majesty

the red one looks dumb owned

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Turncoat Mommy posted:

For the 1 people who care, 238. I kinda stopped after the xpac came out.

<3

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Turncoat Mommy posted:

For the 0 people who care, 238. I kinda stopped after the xpac came out.

I care!

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:

CLAM DOWN posted:

yeah, that's what I thought. It does bum me out.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

why does someone at anet think that pasting a bunch of lovely costume gems from party city onto weaponry is supposed to make it look better

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
You know a way to fix the problem? Do what the guys at Guild Wars 1 did, and have the dye system also apply to weapons.

It's baffling to me that they haven't done this.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

CaptainSwanky posted:

raid tournament
please give a heads up next time you are going to tell such a huge joke and/or burn of the game

DISASTER DOVE
Dec 13, 2015

Sure thing, the next one should be next November so feel free to start holding your breath for all of those big laughs lmbo

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
I decided to see what it might look like to match the upcoming outfit's dyes to the frostforged weapon skins. It's not good.

Aug 24, 2011

i completed my esports placements

i did better than i thought i would! follow your dreams (of being #1)

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.
Are murder wings easier to get than fractal wings?

HUG ME FOREVER
Dec 6, 2006

Gay for TF2! :love:

For me they are only because I absolutely resent that I have to do low level fracs in LFG to get journal pages. If I could do frac wings without those I'd be sooooo happyyyyy.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Have they released the new pvp wings?

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I remembered that if I do the HoT story on my ele I can unlock the auric scepter and chak focus for free, so I do the first couple of missions before running into Scout Acan for the first time in ages

Now I've spent the last 20 minutes reading the forums, GW2 Muted in Background switched off and parked next to him chilling out enjoying the music

Good times

e: 30 minutes

Illuyankas fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 17, 2016

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.
has anyone submitted Asura butt into "give us your ideas so we can make money" gw2 new apparel competition?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
If you're not already, do the Orphan Karma Train!! (Link is a reddit guide for doing it quickly)

Takes 10-20 minutes, if you get hopped up on Karma boosts then it's an easy 100k Karma a day. I've been working on speedrunning it on my Chrono to save buff time because I'm a cheapskate and don't want to use any more booster time than I have to and with Mimic, Well of Recall, and Blink I can do it in about 8 minutes, so 3-4 boosters can get you through all of Wintersday and net you like 3 million Karma.

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

i completed my esports placements

i did better than i thought i would! follow your dreams (of being #1)

I guess everyone is hype about esports. Helseth streamed some 1 vs 1 against a Anet dev and he actually lost once on his Mesmer. Oh, the dev also mentioned that some of the other untouched fractals will get reworked and that something is ready for release soon.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Fargin Icehole posted:

You know a way to fix the problem? Do what the guys at Guild Wars 1 did, and have the dye system also apply to weapons.

It's baffling to me that they haven't done this.
Honestly, dying weapons was mostly worthless in GW1. For every skin that actually changed noticeably, there'd be ten more where you'd only affect the wrapping on the hilt or something dumb like that (or that weren't dyeable at all).

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

At least it was something, I'd be more than happy to dye accents on a weapon. Like for the new ice weapons, I could be blue and <insert dye color here> instead of an ugly green.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
So I know a lot of people dislike the Wintersday JP for various reasons, mostly due to rage-inducing mistakes but I figure maybe I can give a few tips to help out.

First off, the health depletion timer thingy is mostly there to make you panic and gently caress up your jumps early on. Don't worry about it and just take whichever of the paths you find easiest. I personally find Quaggan path the easiest but others swear by gingerbread man path. I actually think the hardest part of the entire JP is the candy cane bits because you can misjudge and jump between them. You should be able to memorize the spawns of the snowflakes after a few runs and once you hit the peppermint platform with the fire, you are "safe" to take a break.

This is where you need to wait, just before the "gifts" section. This section messes a LOT of people up because they panic or don't understand how to jump up it. What you want to do is when you get to the platform, wait for the gifts to spawn fresh then jump right up the middle part straight ahead. If the gifts are already spawned when you get to the platform, just wait for them to blow up and respawn. You are not in any rush at this spot and it will pay off to wait. Immediately after this you will see a big snowman to your right who occasionally blows wind across the next bit. You will want to use a dodge roll forward to evade this. Most times it won't even hit you if he's doing it or he may not be doing it but better to be safe about it.

Last is the giant snowball path. There are the peppermints to the side of the paths and again do not rush this and try to squeak past the snowball because you're in a hurry or you likely will get run over. Take your time and stop at each peppermint. The last bit can be done with two dodges if you're careful and you can jump to the last peppermint on your right before you get to the floating gifts/candy canes but this is risky and should only be done if you know what you are doing; otherwise wait on that last one to your left until the snowball passes. Also note the red aoes from skritt firing their shots because not only will these gently caress you up, sometimes they are more staggered than usual, depending on the instance.

The very last part with the floating gifts is very easy, just take your time and don't get cocky and run off :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkGnyg4eI1k

Hopefully the tips/vid will help others enjoy this JP more because it is definitely one of my favs.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

It may be lag or they may have messed with the timers some, but yesterday I decided hop onto the presents when they were all spawned and had about the same amount of time to get up as when I wait for them to respawn first. Just don't jump onto the blue ones!

Aug 24, 2011

esports trip report:

i'm not sure what this "pvp" thing is, i clicked the "ranked" button because whenever i go bowling i like to put the ranks up so my balls dont go in the gutter

its a good way to get my dailies done because "pvp" has four of them (dailies) so that i can get three free (!) spirit shards!

people keep calling me a fucker but i am hoping i get the hang of this soon!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 24, 2011

good one, game! ha ha! very funny! you are raising my rating with good teammates, so you can take it all away later

ha ha

ha

ha

i have a problem

• Locked thread