Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Note that in addition to support 5, Minfilia also has white 5, combat 4, and knight 5. She is absurdly good just as a character, rivaling Ramza: her spd and atk (and mag, but that's irrelevant to her) are lower than his, but she has better def and mnd.

e: He can get to 99 and she's capped at 80 until her MC3 comes out in the hall of records, though, so be warned.

e2: ALSO note that if you want to use Alphinaud, you'll probably need to invest some motes, because he comes with black (and white) 4* and needs to be dived to 5*.

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Zurai posted:

Just a minor note, but Minfilia's commands are even 2-hit. It's one of the best Support 5 character BSBs in the game, depending on what you want out of your Support 5 character. If you're interested in dealing damage while also supporting, she's very near or at the top of the pack. She doesn't have the stacking break options other characters do, though, and doesn't even break on entry, so she's more of a damage race support rather than a battle of attrition support.

Also, Alph's BSB entry is single target, not AOE.

That's confusing, seeing as it's something that was originally AoE - although none of the egis' Enkindle abilities are single-target (Garuda's is circular centered on the target, Titan's is circular centered on itself, and Ifrit's is a cone or line I forget which.)

Anyroad, a non-inclusive list of Banner 2 stuff:
- Yda's BSB (stock Monk BSB with the caveat that the Attack command gives a stacking ATK/ATB buff)
- Papalymo's BSB (Fire magic BSB that I forget whether it has special features)
- Thancred's BSB (includes a spammable Physical Blink)
- Some SSBs for the above characters

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

AweStriker posted:

That's confusing, seeing as it's something that was originally AoE - although none of the egis' Enkindle abilities are single-target (Garuda's is circular centered on the target, Titan's is circular centered on itself, and Ifrit's is a cone or line I forget which.)

Anyroad, a non-inclusive list of Banner 2 stuff:
- Yda's BSB (stock Monk BSB with the caveat that the Attack command gives a stacking ATK/ATB buff)
- Papalymo's BSB (Fire magic BSB that I forget whether it has special features)
- Thancred's BSB (includes a spammable Physical Blink)
- Some SSBs for the above characters

Papalymo's BSB is a Fire flavoured Maria BSB, great for magical nuking. Coming later in the game mean they set the MAG bar for 6-hits a little higher, but it's still just as good. Both Yda and Papalymo's BSB weapons should boost Fire damage too.

Other then that:
new stuff:
Yda gets a new AoE Earth/Fire Wall Break SSB with a small self ATK/DEF buff attached.
Thancred gets a new AoE Poison element Stun SSB

and for old stuff:
Papalymo's boring but effective EnIce SSB returns
Thancred's Air Knives return (it is a Wind+ weapon you Cloud OSB havers)
Yda's Crit + MND buff SB returns.
Generic Dagger.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Thancred's BSB has a 6-hit command, but only if he's got at least one Physical Blink stack. It's theoretically quite high DPS but in practice is a bit spotty and boss-dependent.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
The gift run game is alright, but keeps glitching on me. I keep trying to get like 10,000 points and build a strategy for it but the game will randomly zoom in, and then teleport me right to the end or if not that I'm running in empty space until the timer gets to zero. But teleporting me to the end does no good because I don't get the yellow gifts which is where the bulk of the points come from. So it's weird. If I could get the 4th yellow present then have it glitch to the end right after, I could probably get an impossibly high score. What is wrong with my game!!

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I don't know if I can hold on until XIV, hoping the OSBfest banners include OK gloves somewhere

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Beasteh posted:

I don't know if I can hold on until XIV, hoping the OSBfest banners include OK gloves somewhere

I kinda like not having them since half of my RW list has them. I never need to use OK just for his buff.

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Oh cool, nightmare is here time to do a 100 gem and get some tr--

:aaaaa:

Holy poo poo my first OSB. Hell yeah!

:same::same::same:
Single pulls are what has gotten me the majority of my better 5s. My only 6 was what you just pulled! It owns a lot, especially if you have quina's ssb golden hairpin. I'm constantly maxing damage with shout and stuff.

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008
Is that aoe shooter skill better than fire blossom? Need some ideas for soloing sundays without using a mage.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ETB posted:

I kinda like not having them since half of my RW list has them. I never need to use OK just for his buff.

To be entirely fair, OK is a ludicrously powerful character with some of the best skill access in the game and great gear access so it's not like having his burst native means you're using OK just for his buff.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Zurai posted:

For the record, my ideal mage team:

• Onion Knight@BSB, Mako's Might
  • Cid Raines@BSB, Dr. Mog's Teachings
  • Yuna@BSB2 or Porom@BSB, Lionheart (both have MAG/MND +30% and h55 AOE heal on entry, with an AOE heal command)
  • Mustadio@BSB, Ace Striker (entry reverse wall, instant cast command 1, on the same banner as a few other relics I'm targeting)
  • Open slot. Alphinaud, Rapha, Marach, Fujin, Palom, Shantotto, etc. Basically whatever other good mage BSB I come across.
Thanks for mentioning those healer BSBs; I didn't know there were mage-oriented healer BSBs coming up so now I know what to look for!

What RW would you be using? I'm planning on going with Raines BSB and wasn't sure if that should be the assumed standard for mage teams once it releases.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

iPodschun posted:

Thanks for mentioning those healer BSBs; I didn't know there were mage-oriented healer BSBs coming up so now I know what to look for!

What RW would you be using? I'm planning on going with Raines BSB and wasn't sure if that should be the assumed standard for mage teams once it releases.

The listed team contains basically everything one would need except Wall, so that's the recommended RW. Situationally there might be other RWs to consider, but for the overwhelming majority of content all you'd want is Wall.

Raines BSB, once it releases, is absolutely the premier "kill bosses I have no business killing" RW. I managed to kill Ultimate+ Mandragoras in JP with an effectively 2 week old account thanks to Raines BSB (and a ton of cussing because gently caress THAT FIGHT).

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

So is the XIII banner any good aside from Cid's absurd BSB? It looks like I'll have 150 mythril in time for Minfilia / OSB Fest, and I was planning on pulling twice for the former and once for the latter, but I dunno if I should try to slot in a pull for XIII, too.

I'm not sure how much extra mythril is coming down the pipeline between the roulette stuff and any holiday giveaway things they might do - if I end up at 200 mythril I'll definitely give it a go, but I dunno if I can justify going 1/1/1 on XIV / XIII / OSB Fest banners if not. XIV just looks too good, but it's tough when I'm trying to gear up a mage team and so much good stuff is floating around all at once.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
XIII 2 is a pretty decent banner; the worst thing about it is Serah's Gloves as a booby prize, but that's still a XIII bracer so. It's just in an awkward position timing wise.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

So is the XIII banner any good aside from Cid's absurd BSB? It looks like I'll have 150 mythril in time for Minfilia / OSB Fest, and I was planning on pulling twice for the former and once for the latter, but I dunno if I should try to slot in a pull for XIII, too.

I'm not sure how much extra mythril is coming down the pipeline between the roulette stuff and any holiday giveaway things they might do - if I end up at 200 mythril I'll definitely give it a go, but I dunno if I can justify going 1/1/1 on XIV / XIII / OSB Fest banners if not. XIV just looks too good, but it's tough when I'm trying to gear up a mage team and so much good stuff is floating around all at once.

It has Hope's one-two Enholy BSB/Holy OSB relic combo, Sazh's High Boostga/Magic Blink, a +25% party crit/Retaliate for Snow (enables him to tauntaliate, for what that's worth nowadays) and Serah's +30% MAG/MND/Hastega relic. It's... really strong, actually, like whoa. The problem that I'm seeing is that the bottom end relics are considerably more disappointing than the Minfilia 1 banner, where every dud is a viable option for one of the game's best White Mages. Cid's Finery has a decent SSB but I have it and I'm just not sure it's worth the Dr. Mog's Blessings/Mako Might it really wants, I personally don't rank Lightning's Smite all that highly and Serah's Gloves/Clock Master is straight up bad.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

I don't really think you can justify taking pulls away from osbfest and xiv for it, tbh. Raines BSB will be a very common RW option for mage teams, XIV is a more consistently excellent banner, and no matter how DeNa switches around the OSBfest banners, the fact remains that they're 1OSB/3BSB which is a bonkers good format for global. I'd honestly budget a pull for XIV and two for OSBfest, and then if OSBfest ends up not impressing you as much you can use that second pull on XIV.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Raines BSB RWs will exist but I don't think it'll be as common as you think, coming straight off the heels of XIV and OSBfest. There'll be more than a few posts on the reddit asking people to post their codes, though. It not being a Hastega also means that most fights that aren't 'the RWers kill the boss' means that you're carrying your own.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I'm torn because while I know that the XIV banner is really good, I want to do waifu pulls on Lightning and Orlandu

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I used a banner simulator for the XIV banner and it took like 7 pulls to even get one BSB. Almost the only thing I got was like 9 copies of Y'shtola's staff, which would be completely useless when I have Stoneskin II already. It made me very afraid.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

ApplesandOranges posted:

Raines BSB RWs will exist but I don't think it'll be as common as you think, coming straight off the heels of XIV and OSBfest. There'll be more than a few posts on the reddit asking people to post their codes, though. It not being a Hastega also means that most fights that aren't 'the RWers kill the boss' means that you're carrying your own.
It's easy enough to find friends for RWs that finding people that put up a good one shouldn't be a problem. I wanted to test RW Jecht BSB a few months after it released and found like 20 people listed on https://friends-ffrk.rhcloud.com/ with it up. Only 1 now, though.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Schwartzcough posted:

I used a banner simulator for the XIV banner and it took like 7 pulls to even get one BSB. Almost the only thing I got was like 9 copies of Y'shtola's staff, which would be completely useless when I have Stoneskin II already. It made me very afraid.

Got a link for that? I used to know what it was but 6-8 months away and I've forgotten completely. I remember the ffrk profiles one but last time I looked it hadn't been updated in a while.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Combo posted:

Got a link for that? I used to know what it was but 6-8 months away and I've forgotten completely. I remember the ffrk profiles one but last time I looked it hadn't been updated in a while.

Here ya go: http://ffrkprofiles.com/

There are other simulators, but that's the only one I know that's updated though the next several events.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

That simulator is pretty :lol:

First pull on Minfilia 1, four Healer's Robe and one Healer's Circlet.
Second pull, Holy Shield, Wizard's Gloves, Veil of Wiyu, Omnirod.... whatever they are.

I have never, not once, managed more than three 5* in a pull, and the sim just gave me two in a row.

I can't do this anymore, reality cannot be this kind to me and it will only lead to crushing disappointment.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Schwartzcough posted:

There are other simulators, but that's the only one I know that's updated though the next several events.

Nice, it took me 6 11-pulls to get something that wasn't either Y'shs SSB or SBs. I fear for the future.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

pichupal posted:

Nice, it took me 6 11-pulls to get something that wasn't either Y'shs SSB or SBs. I fear for the future.

Yeah, it really hammered in the "oh, you think you can get something good with 150 mythril? HAHAHA, gently caress you" nature of the gacha.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

First pull on that simulator gave me a 6/11 with 2 BSBs so uh, I dunno how much stock I'd put in that lol.

edit: Took 5 pulls to not get a BSB, and 7/10 pulls gave me at least 3 5-stars, which...has not even remotely lined up with the reality I have experienced so far. I think this simulator has stolen all of my real-life luck.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 17, 2016

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Zurai posted:

Nope. Panic! stated that Burst Mode often did no better than an OSB on its own.

But sure, let's add DPS turns in there too.

Tidus OSB + 4 turns of Lifesiphon = 1960 potency.
Tidus BSB + 4 turns of command 1 = 1806 potency.

But, again, Burst Mode directly increases damage by anywhere from 10% to 40%. At 40%, Tidus is now dealing 2324 potency. And a second cast of his BSB and 4 more command 1s is 2214 potency (without counting Burst Mode bonus). The OSB, meanwhile, isn't changing its damage.

BSBs are better for sustained damage than OSBs are, in general. OSBs have their place, but dealing the most damage possible isn't generally it.

Also worth noting that after 3 lifesiphons, OSB Tidus is likely going to have another full SB gauge to fire a second OSB shortly after the 4th command 1 from the BSB user. BSBs are pretty amazing but OSBs are still kill of DPS mountain unless BSB Tidus is dropping 9999x4 on every command 1.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

That's because all your luck was being saved up and you just spent it all on the simulator. Congrats.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Schwartzcough posted:

Thanks, I looked at it like last week I think and it was a few banners behind, looks like they updated it.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
I'm just hoping for more Aethereal Pulse RWs after this FF14 event. It seems like I lose my whole stable with every new banner.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

OSBs are still kill of DPS mountain

No, they aren't. The only one which can possibly be argued that way is Orlandu. The rest are at best, in ideal circumstances, competitive. Note that I wasn't comparing OSBs to the best BSBs, I was comparing them to completely average BSBs. Also note that Hope dealt almost double his OSB in damage in the duration of his BSB, and he doesn't have access to things like Lifesiphon.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

U-DO Burger posted:

That's because all your luck was being saved up and you just spent it all on the simulator. Congrats.

As someone who pulled a platinum sword on their 2nd pull with the simulator, and took about 500 mythril to get it in the game itself, I can confirm this to be true.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

I'm just hoping for more Aethereal Pulse RWs after this FF14 event. It seems like I lose my whole stable with every new banner.
Q: why take aetherial pulse as a RW rather than keeper's tome?

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Q: why take aetherial pulse as a RW rather than keeper's tome?

I'd rather have high regen. Blinks are great but their usefulness over high regen would come down to timing and I don't want to tie that to my application of pro shellga. Also I use cleansing strike quite a bit and since my wall is on my healer I have difficulty squeezing high regen in elsewhere.

ParliamentOfDogs fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 17, 2016

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I think it's about 9 or 10 pulls where you like a 80ish% chance of chasing a specific relic.

Basically, don't chase relics. Unless it's your favorite character. Or you're a Lunar Whale.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Agreed. Since I've already got native Shout and magic blink it's my favorite RW for Ult fights, and I've only got three left.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I'd be super happy with Alph's BSB or Raine's BSB

I really want Alph's SSB though so I can finally start running mixed teams, I've been unlucky with Celes/OK, I guess Raines would fix that problem also

150-200 on XIV banner 1, maybe 100 or so on XIII banner 2, we'll see whether I get poo poo on or no

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Oh my god, I went from five alive to dead with Kefka at zero visible health, and pecil confused in burst

:mad: :mad:

Friggin Firepants
Jul 11, 2006

My god, these friggin firepants.
It would be real nice if you'd drop the 6000 greens any time today, Titan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

OK so I haven't used a healer besides Tyro with Curaga but that isn't going to cut it for the Guardian. So which of these relics would be ideal for that battle?
Wizer Rod (VII)/White Materia
Holy Rod (XII)/Intercession
Seraphim's Mace (IV)/Sync
Healing Staff (II)/Will of the White Mage
Elder Staff (III)/Renewing Rains
Mace of Zeus (V)/Pride of Tycoon

For reference, I'm running Shout, Vessel of Fate/Onion Sword, Keeper's Tome, Blood of Espers, Canister Shot, and RW Wall

• Locked thread