Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

comingafteryouall posted:

yeah, you know all those super hot blonde women that just overwhelmed the crowds at Trump rallies. dumb millenials for thinking someone talking about hot blonde trump supporters wasn't talking about fox news hosts and was talking about the old, fat women that voted for Trump

neoliberals:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

wait I thought we weren't talking about celebs?

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Baloogan posted:

right wing has attractive blondes with good paying jobs
left wing has shrew brunettes who don't work, or if they do work they are snarky baristas
and the whole colored hair catastrophe/situation

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
hobbits are hobbits

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Baloogan posted:

right wing has attractive blondes with good paying jobs
left wing has shrew brunettes who don't work, or if they do work they are snarky baristas
and the whole colored hair catastrophe/situation

so when I said "Emily Ratajkowski" did you have any idea who I was talking about

b/c drat

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

also

MizPiz posted:

poo poo ones, obviously.

was this meant unironically because I can't believe people self-identified their political movement as morally opposed to the concept of skateboarding and still considered themselves progressive or subversive in any way

like seriously this is some fuckin Nancy Reagan poo poo

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

loquacius posted:

also

was this meant unironically because I can't believe people self-identified their political movement as morally opposed to the concept of skateboarding and still considered themselves progressive or subversive in any way

like seriously this is some fuckin Nancy Reagan poo poo

I think the cat is supposed to be sad because Trump will ban skateboarding and Hillary "Rad-um" Clinton was comforting it with millennial speak.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Cone to think of it grimes is in asia for like all of her videos except 1 i can think of where shes in america

grimes is a rootless gl0balist

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

anyway obama's leaving and i kinda don't really miss him specifically, i just miss the gop not having the presidency

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

if obama's worrying about his legacy, like - what loving legacy? anything he did was either war in the middle east or compromised to hell and back by the gop, and then the executive order stuff which will just be rolled back by trump. he has had no lasting effect on this country.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

MizPiz posted:

I think the cat is supposed to be sad because Trump will ban skateboarding and Hillary "Rad-um" Clinton was comforting it with millennial speak.

I thought the angry cat implies judgment and "get it, girl" is a term of encouragement, but I guess I have no context for the meme's usage

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
i'll miss obama not starting ground wars even when it made him look like a coward that was pretty nice

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Pollyanna posted:

if obama's worrying about his legacy, like - what loving legacy? anything he did was either war in the middle east or compromised to hell and back by the gop, and then the executive order stuff which will just be rolled back by trump. he has had no lasting effect on this country.

he took my guns

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

bump_fn posted:

he took my guns

no he didnt

he didnt do poo poo

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

no he didnt

he didnt do poo poo

yes but republicans say he did

why would they lie???

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Pollyanna posted:

he got to appoint that supreme court justice

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Obama helped groom Hillary for the 2016 dem nomination. getting her to win the nomination was a hell of an accomplishment.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
I currently have zero guns ergo all my guns were taken by Barack Hussein Obamacare

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Al! posted:

RBG is going to have to make a pact with some dark forces to stay alive for 8 more years

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Al! posted:

he appointed two. Kagan and Sotomayor.

but yeah his material legacy will pretty much be poo poo the republicans like like deporting a record number of immigrants and expanding the surveillance state.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

really though we shouldn't blame Obama alone. america is a sick country that only accepts leadership from sick fucks that want to watch them masturbate while killing innocent people with bombs.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Admiral Ray posted:

he appointed two. Kagan and Sotomayor.

but yeah his material legacy will pretty much be poo poo the republicans like like deporting a record number of immigrants and expanding the surveillance state.

tbf obama actually fought against the deportation thing pretty hard

he of course failed like everything else he actually tried :negative:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Baloogan posted:

oh here is a loving perfect example
im not talking about celebrities yet yall assumed i was
that is your crime, you wank-a-day internet liberals, celebrities don't matter yet you millenials think they do lamo

pretty celebrity girls matter to my penis

sorry about yours I guess

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

really though we shouldn't blame Obama alone. america is a sick country that only accepts leadership from sick fucks that want to watch them masturbate while killing innocent people with bombs.

nah he spent years blaming Bush so now I'm blaming him

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

VikingSkull posted:

nah he spent years blaming Bush so now I'm blaming him

can we blame both of them, because bush still did many bad things

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

And Hillary is perfect for that demographic and still failed.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

this is an interesting article imo

Democrats should stop chasing white voters and embrace the future posted:

Democrats should stop their endless worrying about how to get working-class white people to vote for them and start talking about a bigger problem: the “near-apartheid state of the Democratic Party,” as Steve Phillips describes it.

Whoa, Steve, I told him when we chatted the other day. White people — at least progressive ones — are going to freak out when you drop the word “apartheid.” Phillips, a San Francisco civil rights attorney, leader of a new campaign and media platform called Democracy in Color, and author of the best-selling “Brown Is the New White,” smiled.

“That’s kind of why I started using the word,” he said.

Let’s do the apartheid math with Phillips. Roughly 46 percent of Democratic voters are people of color. Yet with the exception of Rep. Ben Ray Luján, the New Mexico Democrat who leads the party campaign arm for House candidates, nearly every top leader of the party-related institutions and outside groups that controlled $1.5 billion in political spending this cycle is white. That roster includes the leaders of outside groups like Priorities USA and Next Generation, led by San Franciscan Tom Steyer.
More from Joe Garofoli

While the outgoing chair of the Democratic National Committee, Donna Brazile, is African American, she was a last-minute emergency replacement in July for a white woman, Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz of Florida, who resigned after a WikiLeaks email leak that showed the party favored Hillary Clinton over Sen. Bernie Sanders in the presidential primaries.

The Democratic Party’s future leadership looks just as white as both the top Democrat in the Senate, Sen. Chuck Schumer of New York, and House, Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi of California.

Why race matters: because Democrats left a lot of black and brown votes on the table in November. Clinton’s share of African American votes was five percentage points lower than that of President Obama in 2012 — a difference that could have helped in longtime blue states like Wisconsin, which she lost by 22,748 votes.

And while Phillips acknowledged that the leaders of party organizations are good people, many don’t have the cultural literacy to connect with people of color. They don’t travel in the same social circles.

The future needs to be different, so here’s how to change things:

In February, there will be a high-profile election for the next DNC chair, and two high-profile people of color — Rep. Keith Ellison, D-Minn., and Labor Secretary Tom Perez, who was to announce his candidacy Thursday — are running.

Phillips, through Democracy in Color, will be involved in that race but he’s also digging deeper. He’s been pushing Democrats to hire people of color as the executive directors of their top campaign organizations.

No, this isn’t sexy stuff. It’s the sort of the low-profile hire that’s usually left to insiders — and that’s the problem. Executive directors hire the bulk of the staff, preferably a staff with the cultural competence to connect with what America is going to look like in the future. Already, there has been some success: Last week, Luján hired Dan Sena to be executive director of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee — the first Latino to serve in that position.

In business terms, this is a growth opportunity — the growth opportunity — for the party. Every day, 7,000 people of color are added to the population, compared with 1,000 whites. A majority of eligible voters in Texas will be people of color in two years. In 2022, the same will happen in Arizona. Spending an inordinate amount of time chasing white votes is fighting the last war.

Maybe if more people of color run the day-to-day operations of party institutions, Democrats will devote more resources to grassroots outreach and fewer to expensive TV commercials. Nothing says “out of touch” like political commercials to a generation that doesn’t watch TV.

Phillips fumed that when Democrats tried to win Arizona this year, their plan was to spent $2 million on TV advertising. Clinton lost the state by fewer than 90,000 votes — while 900,000 Latinos there didn’t vote. That $2 million, Phillips said, could have paid for thousands of organizers who could have brought 200,000 Latino voters to the polls.

“All this money gets spent (by the party), and there’s never a report,” Phillips said. After the Republicans lost the White House in 2012, it produced a 102-page “autopsy” called the Growth & Opportunity Project. It was a tough look at what Republicans needed to do to win back the presidency — like reach out to people of color, women and young voters. OK, so Donald Trump ignored all those suggestions and still won, but at least the party’s attempt at introspection was there.

When Democrats lost the midterms in 2014, the DNC cranked out a similar autopsy. It was 19 pages and about as hard-hitting as a Christmas card.

Maybe the party should hire Phillips to rip open its political guts. In 2014, he audited what the DNC spent on outside consultants and found and found that 97 percent of the spending went to political firms led by whites.

“People tend to hire people who are like themselves,” he said.

One person on Phillips’ short list to be a party chair is an Oakland resident: Addisu Demissie, who was the campaign manager for New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker’s successful campaign.

Phillips says it is important to remember that even though Trump won the Electoral College tally, Clinton won 2.8 million more votes. That, Phillips recently wrote on Medium, shows that “there is clearly a majority for Democrats to attract without having to resort to Trump-like tactics of coddling the racial resentment of some white voters.”

Instead, they could embrace the future.

i still think we can easily attract working class voters with a strong economic message, but he's right that the state of the dem party leadership is a travesty, and we need to have more PoC in leadership positions (starting with ellison :bernin:). that said his recommendations to fix this like addisu demissie or cory booker are :barf:. addisu demissie seems really centrist and very down on bernie, but he did make this tweet i agree with:

https://twitter.com/ASDem/status/804751185370451968

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Yinlock posted:

hell I blame Woodrow Wilson for stuff all the time so sure

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Yinlock posted:

yes

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

this won't end well

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
I'm not gonna read the article but pizza isn't fast food u fuckingidiot staffer

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

bump_fn posted:

I'm not gonna read the article but pizza isn't fast food u fuckingidiot staffer

it's not delivery

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

:qq:

bad dems are desperate to claim that Bernie had no chance of winning the GE

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2016/12/bernie-sanders-would-have-lost-election-landslide

quote:

Like I said, I don't expect this to persuade anyone. You can always make up a dozen reasons why this time would have been different. But it wouldn't have been. In the end, Trump was treated like an ordinary Republican. Hillary Clinton, after being forced a bit to the left during the primaries, was treated like an ordinary Democrat who was right on the bubble of being too liberal for the country. Both candidates had plenty of personal flaws that they used against each other, but Sanders did too. They were just different than Clinton's. Republicans would have twisted him up like a wet rag and tossed him down the drain.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

etalian posted:

:qq:

bad dems are desperate to claim that Bernie had no chance of winning the GE

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2016/12/bernie-sanders-would-have-lost-election-landslide

this popped up in my google feed but the article didn't bother me as much as the comments

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
i mean that's always the case but what're you gonna do not read em?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Nice to see the delusion continues

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

etalian posted:

quote:

Hillary Clinton, after being forced a bit to the left during the primaries, was treated like an ordinary Democrat who was right on the bubble of being too liberal for the country.

Abahahhahahahahahahahaha

No

No seriiusly

Aha hahahhaha loving what

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Abahahhahahahahahahahaha

No

No seriiusly

Aha hahahhaha loving what
[/quote]

Remember how people hyped Hillary as a must support option since they claimed she would run a polished effective GE campaign?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Yinlock posted:

it's not delivery

it's despondent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I think that SF Chronicle article has a valid point. I had assumed that Hillary had spent her money on organization, rather than a tv blitz. Because that worked so loving well for Jeb Bush. That said, it's unsympathetic to simply double down on the gently caress whitey vote, even if you do it more compassionately.

• Locked thread