Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Never ever thought I'd type the words Dignitas, Ssumday & Chaser in the same sentence. Holy gently caress lmao. :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Smol posted:

Never ever thought I'd type the words Dignitas, Ssumday & Chaser in the same sentence. Holy gently caress lmao. :laffo:

They're coming over exclusively for the Kiwikid Experience, just like almost-World Champion CoreJJ.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Chris de Sperg posted:

"All NA LCS teams have been made aware of this change well in advance of the 2017 Season."
oh, that's alright then. well, i'm sure the cs teams were made aware too, and didn't find out from the public post or anything.

Should've gotten promoted to the LCS, scrubbos

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I'm sure they gave a heads up to the important CS teams like c9 and tempostorm. Have fun coaching the bad news bears sponsored by shamwow or whatever.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Transient People posted:

What would you compare laneswaps to?

good question. not sure really. i probably don't know enough about sports to make a good comparison, it just seems to me that cherry-picking disturbs the attractor-state of soccer a lot more than lane-swapping does league. but we might disagree on what league "is" in that sense. i would describe soccer as "pass the ball around to outplay the enemy defense, creating a goal-scoring opportunity," and cherry-picking breaks that because it obviates the first half of the game (overcoming the defense). league i might describe as "outplay the opponent to achieve intermediate objectives before capturing the enemy nexus," and laneswapping only shifts the strategic focus of the first part without obviating it.

it's interesting that you're a game designer, so your type of focus is probably a lot sharper than mine in many ways. i imagine your idea of what league is is a lot more well-defined than mine. i also imagine that when you're designing a game, you have to come up with some pretty clear ideas of what you're trying to do, what the game "is," what is its appeal, what sets it apart from other games, etc.

i think what sets certain games (like csgo and dota/lol) apart from many other games is how much like sports they are, because the game is so flexible in nature. its "core" is very simple and clean, infinitely replayable, with tons of room for personality and strategic innovation.

maybe there's an analogy to be made between different soccer styles, for instance, and things like laneswapping vs. laning; i've heard that brazil prides itself on playing "a beautiful game," while watching germany, you see a remarkably technical, almost scientific approach to stretching and dislocating the defensive formation before the goal opportunity. both of these are valid ways to play, and maintain the spirit of the basic game -- and while germany's tends to be more effective, and most teams have slowly gravitated toward this kind of play in the last decades, most people also agree that it's more fun to watch brazil's bravado.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
A good comparison is to defensive shifts in baseball, where teams move outfielders and infielders around in increasingly crazy formations based on analytic data that says vs this pitcher or pitch type the hitter is most likely to hit the ball to these spots. Its something that a lot of baseball fans, players, announcers, and coaches are pissed about and may actually be outlawed in some fashion. You have the way the game was designed: defenders stand roughly around their base.
And the lane swap: the third baseman is standing in right field

Increased defensive alignments and reliever usage has killed offense since the mid 00s and people are salty about it.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
The interesting thing about Soccer is that it's really boring when you don't understand it (it's where the dumb stereotype of 'twenty two men passing a ball around while nothing happens' comes from), becomes progressively more entertaining as you learn its metagame, and also reveals itself to work entirely opposite to how you'd expect as you learn more. Like...noobs say soccer is defensive, but in fact it's one of the most offensive ballgames in the whole world and has continued to get more offensive at the top level in spite of slowly shifting more players to defense (because defenders these days are expected to be able to deploy forward and assist with offensive efforts, specifically side defenders) - the efficiency difference between a team that 'defends itself with the ball' (ie by attacking, blindsiding the defenders and making opposing players run themselves ragged without even necessarily committing to an offensive action against the goal) and a team that 'parks the bus' (so sit with eleven players hovering around the penalty area) is gigantic. It's also a game that looks really dreadful when played by bad players...and then you go look at how the English Premier League plays, or a random Barca match and it's an absolute joy to watch instead of something cold and boring. It really is actually a lot like League in that sense - tight, precise League play is incredibly proactive, not something like ten shiphturs farming and playing like baby back bitches for sixty minutes until somebody panics and throws at baron for the game. It's part of why I feel like laneswaps were so incredibly, totally disruptive - there was no possibility for action at all during the laneswap period, and particularly the 'tower rush' period. Remember when League was four assholes going bot to take a tower, four other assholes going top to take another and two jackoffs in mid farming in peace for the first like eight minutes and people bitched really hard about Riot dropping an instant, kludgy but necessary fix to prevent that? The problem wasn't that there wasn't any depth to that kinda stuff - it's that it was entirely 'playing against yourself', testing your execution, instead of testing your decisionmaking. I feel like laneswapping was basically a solved equation by the time it was retired. You placed your wards in X Y and Z spots to see what the other team was doing, responded accordingly, tried to make sure your toplaner actually got to play because if you did they got super far ahead of the poor fucker who got starved by two people, and snowballed an early-game advantage that was wholly comparable to multiple kills from total safety if you executed your ward placement and rotations well. League doesn't have to be a killfest, but I'm absolutely confident that Riot's vision for the game involves the players interacting with each other to achieve gradually increasing advantages that can then be converted into bigger plays across the map, and you can't get that when two out of ten players flat out don't get to play, or at most play leech bitch to the junglers.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Chris de Sperg posted:

"All NA LCS teams have been made aware of this change well in advance of the 2017 Season."
oh, that's alright then. well, i'm sure the cs teams were made aware too, and didn't find out from the public post or anything.

Welcome to NA, baby

e; I mean at the very least you're almost practically guaranteed a spot in LCS now, right? I don't even know what other orgs are in CS aside from you, TLA, CLGB and C9C.

Luna Was Here fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 16, 2016

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

This is why good junglers (aka my fav boy Peanut) are so fun to watch. When you're a top tier warp speed gank machine, there just isn't much the other team can do except get drawn into that playstyle, because playing safe and back only goes so far when Lee Sin can zoom in and karate kick your head so hard it pops off like a cork. Good gankers have a disproportionate effect on a game's tempo and makes everything faster and more fun.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

this new Afreeca roster seems quite bad to me. has any roster that had three players that required resources actually worked at any point? i mean you could hope that say Spirit adapts his game, altho at that point youre not even really paying money for the same player. idk, the only way i see this team working out is if Kramer develops an ability to play really well without needing any attention or gold and i dont see any reason to expect that.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Luna Was Here posted:

Welcome to NA, baby

e; I mean at the very least you're almost practically guaranteed a spot in LCS now, right? I don't even know what other orgs are in CS aside from you, TLA, CLGB and C9C.
so the tl;dr is we now have to win two Bo5s, almost certainly against two LCS teams, to get LCS, when before the top CS team only potentially had to win one (against the #9 LCS team). it does mean there's no real penalty for finishing 2nd instead of 1st in CS, which is good i guess (there is precisely one other team i am at all scared of, namely team loco, and then a lot of more questionable rosters, so while i'd be shocked if we didn't make finals we wouldn't be overwhelming favourites to win vs them no matter what happens over the next few months imo), but it's a net negative for the CS teams.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Hmm, didn't think about it that way. Who do you think you'll have to battle? I'm kind of expecting echo fox to end up in 9/10 but I'm not sure who else is gonna poo poo the bed

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Luna Was Here posted:

Hmm, didn't think about it that way. Who do you think you'll have to battle? I'm kind of expecting echo fox to end up in 9/10 but I'm not sure who else is gonna poo poo the bed
my expectations are pretty much any two of echo fox/envyus/c9c, all have massive problems and i can't call an obvious super-shitter between them. liquid are a dark horse to be down there.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
freeze will 1v9 it

i believe

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
The MLBAM and Riot Games deal is now signed for a guaranteed $300 Million thru 2023. Will League last until 2023?

Spirit has been picked up by Afreeca Freecs

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

RealFoxy posted:

The MLBAM and Riot Games deal is now signed for a guaranteed $300 Million thru 2023. Will League last until 2023?

Spirit has been picked up by Afreeca Freecs

now we get to see how much advertising 18-29 year old males are okay with. my guess is not much despite their loud posts to the contrary in reddit

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Isn't that typical to how standard sports are handled? Broadcast rights are sold to a company, that company then sells it to networks to take care from there. I think the only major difference is the sale of broadcast rights goes to the teams in a regular sports league, rather than to a company like Riot

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Kashuno posted:

Isn't that typical to how standard sports are handled? Broadcast rights are sold to a company, that company then sells it to networks to take care from there. I think the only major difference is the sale of broadcast rights goes to the teams in a regular sports league, rather than to a company like Riot

its a completely normal arrangement from what I read. MLBAM is more going to be running things on the advertising side and working to create and implement monetization strategies. It's pretty clear from the article that they're planning on still streaming via twitch and youtube, it's more how they go about making money off of all the eyeballs. The "18-29 males" age group is basically the holy grail in advertisement right now because they're impossible to get return on or even reach, so if it does well expect riot to make all sorts of money.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
im a gamer

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Lovechop posted:

im a gamer

personally, i

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Chris de Sperg posted:

my expectations are pretty much any two of echo fox/envyus/c9c, all have massive problems and i can't call an obvious super-shitter between them. liquid are a dark horse to be down there.

Don't think Liquid will be down there. Lourlo looked really good in IEM he got solo kills even vs Cuvee. Matt was a god on thresh almost every game and he is great on Bard/Alistar etc...

They managed to get ahead of Samsung in the first game imo they looked much better than C9 did vs Samsung despite the 2nd game being a complete stomp. Basically a new team looked better than C9 who played like 1 split together.

Goldenglue seems decent in some games(solokills/wins lane) but then he has the odd game on Ryze/Cassio where he watches his team die in teamfights without using any spells. He got outdamaged by Nautilus. Phreak's reasoning was that Nautilus stays in a teamfight a long time and does aoe dmg with burn+e. Like how can you get outdamaged on the highest dps mage.

Anyway Disney/MLB bought the streaming rights to League but a Riot employee said that the Twitch stream will be probably remain similar.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Does this mean we can get official Disney skins now

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Lovechop posted:

im a gamer

I drink GAMER FUEL, the FUEL, for GAMERS

also for all the dumb stuff tryndamere said and did in the last 6 months he's going to have a soothing pile of money to lie on with this deal

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Apparently Riot's hella mad about teams announcing members before Riot approves them, so now they've made it legal to "poach" players announced by other organizations that haven't been 100% approved and behavior checked by Riot now.

e: It's deeper than that. Players can be poached even after having signed contracts for an organization as long as they're not yet inside Riot's contract database

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
Relevant to the conversation we were having about champ diversity: http://nexus.leagueoflegends.com/2016/12/dev-on-champ-diversity/

It's kind of uncanny how many points are hit that we talked about too. Apparently being part of the SA Pro LoL thread teaches you how Riot thinks lol

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Today I learned most Koreans don't have League-Recognized Contracts

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Lovechop posted:

im a gamer

(Gives the gamer nod)

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

RealFoxy posted:

Apparently Riot's hella mad about teams announcing members before Riot approves them, so now they've made it legal to "poach" players announced by other organizations that haven't been 100% approved and behavior checked by Riot now.

e: It's deeper than that. Players can be poached even after having signed contracts for an organization as long as they're not yet inside Riot's contract database
Update: Only Echo Fox's contracts will be stored in the database

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Kashuno posted:

Someone hurry and poach Faker because Riot won't do anything about it.

E: Also riot said in the future they might make a premium stream. I am sure its going to be the player focused streams because I heard Scarra say on beyond the rift that you don't even get paid to do those or very little. The thing is if Riot leaves the free hd stream I don't see any reason to pay for anything else. Unless they make a stream that doesn't include Phreak and Pulse I might consider paying for that.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 16, 2016

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Kashuno posted:

i am convinced this is at least a part of the reason that the chinese streaming sites dont want to pay for big korean imports anymore, is that most of the koreans contracts werent actually set up properly and a lot of them didnt have visas.

ofc its probably still mostly that those players didnt really bring in many more stream views but cost a lot more money, but the players having to have actual legal contracts now is probably the straw that broke the camels back there

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So with this deal with BAMtech, do they now sell the LCK rights to OGN/SpoTV and decide how that is divided?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Transient People posted:

That's fair. I do think that eliminating laneswaps wasn't necessarily a profit-driven decision (I design games too and go absolutely batty when poo poo goes completely off the rails - I don't think the investors have much of a say on how the balance team shakes things up so long as it continues to make money, though I'd be curious if viewcounts nosedived during the age of laneswaps), but it's true that the teams themselves will not give a poo poo about what makes the game boring to watch so long as it makes them more successful. What would you compare laneswaps to?

Combo decks in Magic the Gathering

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

kingcobweb posted:

In the era of Combo Winter, or some other?

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

kingcobweb posted:

The more I think about it the more apt this comparison is.

E: ^ probably any minimally or non-interactive combo deck.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Transient People posted:

In the era of Combo Winter, or some other?
Any era. It's just two different sides trying to execute their entirely non-interactive strategies better.

Edit: specifically combo vs combo matchups is what I meant

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Champion diversity in league is loving terrible and always has been. I'm not sure what new information I learned reading GC's pontifications.

Liquid was pretty lively against Samsung and watching parts of that first game I thought for sure they could close it and then they just got blown out in a team fight. Every time I see an underdog team engage a fight on a top tier Korean team and it's not a 100% flawless engage it's almost like time slows down and you can see them getting broke off for each of the very minor mistakes that convert what should have been an easy win to a huge defeat. Game 2 was bereft of those moments and I think Liquid did all they could do in #1 but that game was good and I feel pretty good about their chances in NA LCS.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Immortals vs Kongdoo Monsters is starting soon

By soon I mean anywhere between 15 minutes from now and one hour from now.

e: Kongdoo are one-upping the old Jin Air uniforms (dress shirts with fake ties) by wearing actual suits

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 17, 2016

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

somewhere, deep in immortals hq...
"let's get flame. and put him on maokai"

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

archduke.iago posted:

somewhere, deep in immortals hq...
"let's get flame. and put him on maokai"
tbf he was about to just solo Roach with or without dardoch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Dardoch/Flame look drat good but IMT's bot lane looks like a dumpster fire and Pobelter seems to be drug towards either side at any given time

• Locked thread